• Page

of 102 First / Last

• Bremenacht 26 Jan 2011 17:05:05 15,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Fresh police enquiry too...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12290535
    I find it hard to believe that they have genuinely new, significant information. I'm sure it's just a way of revealing that a lot more phone hacking went on than the few cases they described first time around.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• spamdangled 26 Jan 2011 17:08:56 27,197 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apparently News International have passed over a load of emails from that guy they just sacked.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• X201 26 Jan 2011 17:09:12 14,696 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    Fresh police enquiry too...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12290535
    I find it hard to believe that they have genuinely new, significant information. I'm sure it's just a way of revealing that a lot more phone hacking went on than the few cases they described first time around.

Sienna Miller's lawyer has apparently raked up a shed load of info that the police didn't know existed when they did their enquiry.

• Khanivor 26 Jan 2011 17:11:58 39,869 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    NotW may be cunts but at least ol' Tommy Sheridan is giving them something to smile about.
  • Bremenacht 26 Jan 2011 17:12:12 15,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ohhhh. Could get spicey then. Let's hope she isn't bought off.

@X201

• Bremenacht 26 Jan 2011 17:12:35 15,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted

• X201 26 Jan 2011 20:49:29 14,696 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If anyone wants to keep up with this, but doesn't want the tabloid crap that goes with it, PM on Radio 4 is keeping tabs on it almost daily.
  • Tom_Servo 27 Jan 2011 13:58:01 15,531 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Sun covers phone hacking
  • grey_matters 27 Jan 2011 14:17:08 3,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    :D
    Classy.
  • X201 27 Jan 2011 14:25:59 14,696 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:

One step away from...

"Tracy, 23, thinks that phone hacking can be justified if the is a legitimate public interest justification"
  • thelzdking 4 Jul 2011 16:45:07 3,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Guardian are saying that the NotW and Glenn Mulcaire hacked Milly Dowler's phone and deleted some of her voicemails as her inbox filled up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/04/milly-dowler-voicemail-hacked-news-of-world
  • coastal 4 Jul 2011 17:09:09 5,372 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Real classy.

I hope this sparks a decent RM backlash.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Tom_Servo 4 Jul 2011 17:10:20 15,531 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's despicable, especially the deleting of voicemails, but the monumental Twitter outrage is already making me a bit nauseous.
  • thedaveeyres 4 Jul 2011 17:17:48 9,709 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    It's despicable, especially the deleting of voicemails, but the monumental Twitter outrage is already making me a bit nauseous.

To be honest, I can think of few things more worthy of being outraged about. I'm struggling to believe it's actually true - it's the actions of a psychopath.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Whizzo 4 Jul 2011 17:21:35 42,758 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm struggling to believe what sort out person would sanction and do such a thing. Complete cunts isn't harsh enough.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Khanivor 4 Jul 2011 17:25:11 39,869 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Real classy.

A proper investigation needs to be run on these cunts and the whole empire.

Any day now....
  • Tom_Servo 4 Jul 2011 17:33:57 15,531 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:

To be honest, I can think of few things more worthy of being outraged about. I'm struggling to believe it's actually true - it's the actions of a psychopath.

My problem more comes from people now using this to make points about Murdoch buying up the rest of Sky, etc. I've even seen this being used to excuse Johann Hari's plagiarism, which was a real eye-roller.
  • glaeken 4 Jul 2011 17:47:03 10,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand I dislike tabloid journalists but on the other hand I see lots of rich people making some easy money out the fact they got their voice mail hacked. How often are you really going to have some really deep and meaningful personal thing in a voice mail. I would imagine the hacking mainly netted extremely insignificant tittle tattle and as a result some rich people get richer. Seriously if someone offered me a 100K to have my voice mail hacked I would think it was a bargin.

I think my ideal solution would be have all the journalists involved get imprisoned but none of the rich people that got hacked get cash settlements. It seems unlikely this will be possible though.
  • Chopsen 4 Jul 2011 17:55:52 15,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand I dislike tabloid journalists but on the other hand I see lots of rich people making some easy money out the fact they got their voice mail hacked. How often are you really going to have some really deep and meaningful personal thing in a voice mail. I would imagine the hacking mainly netted extremely insignificant tittle tattle and as a result some rich people get richer. Seriously if someone offered me a 100K to have my voice mail hacked I would think it was a bargin.

Ermm. Wow.

So the fact that there's nothing interesting to be found most probably means that you can't really complain that your right to private is invaded? The fact that these rights are invaded for entirely financial motives without the knowledge of the person being hacked is not an issue? The fact that you'd happily be asked consent to be hacked so completely misses the point of why this is offensive. Seriously, really?

• thedaveeyres 4 Jul 2011 18:22:02 9,709 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This directly interfered with a criminal investigation into the abduction of a girl... this isn't a celebrity being caught out, this is serious stuff.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• PearOfAnguish 4 Jul 2011 19:39:06 6,989 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shit just got real. If only we could trust the police do even a half-arsed job of catching those responsible.

And surely they cannot keep denying that Andy Coulson and Rebekah Brooks were completely ignorant of this for much longer.
  • glaeken 4 Jul 2011 19:39:46 10,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    glaeken wrote:

Ermm. Wow.

So the fact that there's nothing interesting to be found most probably means that you can't really complain that your right to private is invaded? The fact that these rights are invaded for entirely financial motives without the knowledge of the person being hacked is not an issue? The fact that you'd happily be asked consent to be hacked so completely misses the point of why this is offensive. Seriously, really?

These are people who use the media when it suits them. I guess I see the crime just I am not down with the idea of rich people getting given more money for a level of harm that seems unproven. I would be happy to see the journalists in question be imprisoned I am just not keen on the rich getting free money out of this.

So I am happy with the state position on this but unhappy with the civil side.
  • PearOfAnguish 4 Jul 2011 19:44:22 6,989 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The fact that they are rich and famous is irrelevant, the compensation/settlements have been awarded based on the fact their privacy has been invaded. Anyone else would be treated the same, just because newspapers have no interest in breaking into random voicemails does not mean the victims should not be compensated because they've already got money. I know the rich get richer etc but you have to look at this objectively.

If nothing else you can surely get behind News Corp being forced to pay out lots of money regardless of who it goes to.
  • Chopsen 4 Jul 2011 20:00:25 15,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    These are people who use the media when it suits them. I guess I see the crime just I am not down with the idea of rich people getting given more money for a level of harm that seems unproven. I would be happy to see the journalists in question be imprisoned I am just not keen on the rich getting free money out of this.

So I am happy with the state position on this but unhappy with the civil side.

To say that they "use the media when it suits them" in some way allows the media to then disregard any laws when dealing in them in return is a ridiculous argument. I use electricity, so I can't complain if faulty wiring eletrocutes me? And the "unproven" elelement of harm is exactly the point of these things going to court. To prove the level of harm and decide on adequate compensation. Of course that level of compensation should be significant to compensate for what happened (your "Seriously if someone offered me a 100K to have my voice mail hacked I would think it was a bargin."). That's the *point* of compensation. :)

But anyway, in the Dowler family case, you're not dealing with celebrities, you're not dealing with well off people being subjected to an "unproved" level of harm. I'm sure they would be quite happy to never have had any of the media attention they've had. There is apparently evidence that the media have tampered with evidence in order to try and secure a story to make some money.
  • PearOfAnguish 4 Jul 2011 20:08:24 6,989 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    According to the Guardian they not only tampered with her voicemail and deleted messages, which demonstrates an astonishing lack of compassion and and intelligence even for a tabloid journalist, but accessed or tried to access the detectives phones as well.

If there was any justice they would be forced to publish one final issue apologising for everything they have done and then be shut down forever.
  • Dougs 4 Jul 2011 20:16:19 64,888 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Scum
  • glaeken 4 Jul 2011 20:17:29 10,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Dowlers are obviously a different case altogether.

Was the damage done to Sienna Miller worth 100K? Was it fuck.

The amounts celebs will get really won't be harming News corp either. Now if they were to be hit by some huge corporate fine for encouraging illegal activity in their employee's now that might be something. It's cleary been going on for quite some time and they don't seem to have been able to stamp it out.

Why can the celebs not be happy that justice is being done? This is the best most who are victims of crimes can hope for.
  • Pirotic Moderator 4 Jul 2011 20:21:19 20,646 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    According to the Guardian they not only tampered with her voicemail and deleted messages, which demonstrates an astonishing lack of compassion and and intelligence even for a tabloid journalist, but accessed or tried to access the detectives phones as well.

If there was any justice they would be forced to publish one final issue apologising for everything they have done and then be shut down forever.

That was pretty shocking, supposedly her inbox was full so they deleted some in the hope more of interest would arrive, police noticed she (sic) was deleting messages and assumed she was alive somewhere. Eek!

I hate the whole 'phone hacking' angle, if you don't set-up voice mail it uses a default master password which anybody can google - it's not exactly like you need to be GeoHot!
  • PearOfAnguish 4 Jul 2011 20:37:29 6,989 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Me too, but phone hacking is snappier than "phone entering default password."
  • VandelayIndustries 4 Jul 2011 20:38:54 1,521 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    That was pretty shocking, supposedly her inbox was full so they deleted some in the hope more of interest would arrive, police noticed she (sic) was deleting messages and assumed she was alive somewhere. Eek!

I hate the whole 'phone hacking' angle, if you don't set-up voice mail it uses a default master password which anybody can google - it's not exactly like you need to be GeoHot!
    Absolutely appalling.
  • Page

of 102 First / Last