WWE Night of Champions 2009 - Spoilers

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Hermiod 30 Jun 2009 07:57:42 3,702 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As with every year all WWE titles will be on the line. The first two matches were made last night.

Randy Orton vs John Cena or Triple H for the WWE Championship

Maryse vs Mickie James for the WWE Divas Championship

Also, WWE has made some changes to their PPV line up for the rest of the year.

Summerslam, Survivor Series and Armageddon are unaffected.

Unforgiven becomes Breaking Point - most, if not all, matches will be submission matches.

No Mercy becomes Hell in a Cell - at least the main events will be Hell in a Cell matches.

Cyber Sunday becomes Annihilation - the fan interactivity side has been dropped.
  • El_MUERkO 30 Jun 2009 09:13:06 17,865 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    cyber sunday sucked cause the wwe would never give the fans enough freedom in their choices , probably rightly so, they'd end up with a wrestlemania bill at a dumb ass ppv
  • Hermiod 30 Jun 2009 09:45:32 3,702 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was their own fault. Whenever the PPV came around they made it clear what matches they wanted the fans to pick.

That said, when the fans picked Roddy Piper instead of Dusty Rhodes to partner Ric Flair that probably saved his life. Shortly afterwards he was on the receiving end of a beat down from Rated-RKO. As a result, his cancer was spotted early and he was able to beat it.
  • Sharks 30 Jun 2009 13:33:40 5,121 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It'll probably end up being Randy/Cena/HHH in a WM 24 rematch. Can't complain, Orton will slither away with the victory being the viper he is ;)

I don't think a submission PPV is very marketable. And that's a real shame about the Hell in a Cell PPV - Hell in a Cells being announced used to be huge and unpredictable. Now they seem of little importance since they're all probably going to get condensed into that one PPV. :(
  • El_MUERkO 30 Jun 2009 14:51:05 17,865 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ever since the fans voted for Festus -V- Undertaker festus has been marginalized :(

i love the ease at which he can pick people up and smack them off the canvas, for a big guy he has a very good ground game
  • Hermiod 30 Jun 2009 16:09:12 3,702 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spoiler for NEXT WEEK's Raw which was taped last night (due to their Australian tour).

It is indeed a triple threat - Orton vs Cena vs HHH.
  • Sharks 1 Jul 2009 04:11:27 5,121 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Festus is probaby my favourite lower mid-card/jobber guy right now.
  • Hermiod 2 Jul 2009 13:02:57 3,702 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Smackdown main event has been announced.

CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy for the World Heavyweight Championship
  • Hermiod 7 Jul 2009 18:12:57 3,702 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Annihilation has been changed back to Cyber Sunday.
  • Sharks 7 Jul 2009 18:36:11 5,121 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmph. Of all the changes to revert, they chose the best one, though '' I'M GONNA FIGHT YOU AT ANNIHILATION! '' doesn't have much of a ring to it.

Now I hope they remove Hell in a Cell and Breaking Point too. Both pointless.
  • Hermiod 8 Jul 2009 07:47:55 3,702 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not going to happen. They're trying to differentiate their PPVs. Personally, I liked the scramble matches at Unforgiven last year but seeing as they just had one at The Bash I don't think we'll see them again this year.
  • Sharks 8 Jul 2009 09:04:41 5,121 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love Hell in a Cell matches, but a PPV centered around them sounds like pure overkill. Maybe if one or at the most two of the main event matches are Hell in a Cell ( that'll probably be the case) I won't mind. In fact it might make HiaC matches seem like more of a big deal rather than lowering their significance like my fears tell me it well.

An all-submission PPV is a terrible theme if I've ever heard one.
  • Hermiod 8 Jul 2009 09:13:43 3,702 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My understanding is still that only the main events will be Hell in a Cell or Submission matches.

Personally, I think it would be good for guys like Orton and HHH to work their own submission holds in to their move sets. Submission holds give a wrestler another way in which they can end a match which creates more excitement.

Cena knows this, which is why he added the STF to his arsenal. With HHH it's a Pedigree or nothing. Edge has the Edgecution (which is NOT a Sharpshooter!), Jericho has the Walls, CM Punk has the now seldom used Anaconda Vise etc.

HHH should go for the Figure Four as a tribute to Flair, though it would be the first time anyone's actually tapped out to it in decades.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2015 8 Jul 2009 09:31:49 44,700 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    With Hell In A Cell, all matches will be all cage-match varieties apparently - not just HIAC matches. Bit like TNA's Lockdown. I imagine Breaking Point will be the same, variations of the theme. I think TNA did that too as well once, but it was shit.

Plus Breaking Point is a UFC PPV name too.
  • Sharks 8 Jul 2009 11:29:50 5,121 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Triple H has the awesome Indian death lock, though he only busts it out sporadically. I have no problems whatsoever with Triple H's moveset personally though a regular submission would be nice. Same for Randy, since it would mean he'd ditch that awful, hard-to-watch chinlock which detracts from his matches so much

Rey Mysterio or Evan Bourne should use the flying armar, perfect submission hold for a high-flyer.

though it would be the first time anyone's actually tapped out to it in decades.

Flair made people tap out to it all the time during his last WWE run. Which was unfortunate, considering how ineffectively he executed it during that time. Last time I recall was Orton tapping out to it ( and flopping about like a mad fish as well. Hehe, love Orton's selling sometimes) the night before Wrestlemania 24, obviously as a last hurrah for Flair.
  • Hermiod 8 Jul 2009 14:40:12 3,702 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I honestly can't recall Flair actually winning a match with it for years.
  • Sharks 11 Jul 2009 01:38:09 5,121 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can recall Carlito, Mr. Kennedy, MVP, Orton and various members of the Spirit Squad all tapping out to it rather distinctly.

Christian/Dreamer was also announced for the PPV I believe. I can't remember the last time I cared so little for a major championship match on PPV. Also, why did the referee just watch on whilst Christian hurled Kozlov into an exposed turnbuckle?
  • Midnight_Raven 13 Jul 2009 12:29:41 729 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't like themed shows very much. Granted TNA's lockdown is pretty good, but mostly because they have quite varied matches instead of the typical cage fare. If WWE copy that, fair enough, but I have a feeling that they won't.
  • Hermiod 14 Jul 2009 09:48:08 3,702 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is getting silly - Cyber Sunday is now "Bragging Rights".
  • Midnight_Raven 14 Jul 2009 14:54:25 729 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wow, how incredibly cool will the promos be for that.

"I'm gonna take ya down. For Bragging Rights!"

"This will end... at Bragging Rights!"

WTF?

I wonder if some wrestlers will just refuse to be associated with a PPV like this. It just doesn't look good on the resume, does it?
  • NewYork 16 Jul 2009 06:26:06 24,820 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Breaking Point I like. I'd love a submission based show.

Hell in a Cell sounds silly and I'd prefer to see a HiaC match at the end of a hot feud, rather than see it coming from a mile off, knowing that WWE have to work it into a certain date no matter what.

Bragging Rights sounds dumb. So does Cyber Sunday, mind, but hey.

Midnight Raven wrote:
    I wonder if some wrestlers will just refuse to be associated with a PPV like this. It just doesn't look good on the resume, does it?
    Once you have Pro Wrestler on the resume, your dignity's probably quite flexible. :)
  • Deleted user 16 July 2009 06:36:33
    NEWYORK! \O/
  • NewYork 16 Jul 2009 06:40:21 24,820 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    funkyd wrote:
    NEWYORK! \O/
    Comeback pop!

/cries like Batista in the middle of the ring and does a comeback promo

/gets re-injured three months later
  • Deleted user 16 July 2009 06:43:53
    :D

Where have you been? That predictions thread has fallen apart with you gone, haha.
  • NewYork 16 Jul 2009 06:52:36 24,820 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vacation. Didn't miss a beat of WWE while I was gone, though. \o/

Yeah, I shall try resurrecting that thread soon enough. :D
  • Hermiod 17 Jul 2009 08:21:20 3,702 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NewYork wrote:
    funkyd wrote:
    NEWYORK! \O/
    Comeback pop!

/cries like Batista in the middle of the ring and does a comeback promo

/gets re-injured three months later

Crowd: WEL-COME BACK! WEL-COME BACK!
  • Biggy316 17 Jul 2009 08:26:26 25,270 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I take it that even at the HIAC PPV theer will be no blood from now on?
  • Hermiod 17 Jul 2009 08:33:28 3,702 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bigshot316 wrote:
    I take it that even at the HIAC PPV theer will be no blood from now on?

Deliberate blading was banned a long time ago, long before the PG rules came in.

If people bleed on live TV by accident then there's nothing that can be done about it.

Jim Ross has assured us that "physicality" will remain. We've seen Legacy injure Batista's arm, HHH attack people with sledgehammers, the Extreme Rules PPV etc. And remember - Chris Jericho's assault on Ric Flair prior to Wrestlemania happened after these rules came in.

WWE has to attract new fans and they can't do that if parents don't let their kids watch.

I went to the Smackdown house show at the O2 last November. The main event was Undertaker vs Big Show in a Falls Count Anywhere match. A woman sitting behind me got very angry when Show picked up the ring steps and hit Undertaker with them, took her children and left.
  • Biggy316 17 Jul 2009 08:40:24 25,270 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well that woman is a cunt then IMHO.

I understand that they need to attract more of the vieing public, but I feel concentrating on putting out a more interesting, varied, fresh product would achieve this a damn site more than turning it into the Teletubby show.

R.I.P the Attitude era.

Never again will wrestling be as engaging (IMHO)
  • NewYork 17 Jul 2009 08:44:40 24,820 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If nobody hits anybody with the stairs ever again I really won't miss it.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.