North Korea Page 8

• Page

of 24 First / Last

• mal 4 Apr 2013 04:41:52 22,842 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Otherwise known as the cold war. Which was all happiness and kittens, as we all know.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Dirtbox 4 Apr 2013 04:57:51 79,216 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The problem isn't so much the fat little tit, it's 'murika taking the bait and rattling their testosterone. It's pretty clear that NK isn't trying so much to start a war between them and anyone, it's that they want to cause a situation between the US and China.

Not that China is much of a worry, they've come to depend heavily on US money and don't dare cut their averous little noses off.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• mrharvest 4 Apr 2013 07:37:51 5,203 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So, forumites in South Korea, are you staying put? My wife was offered a job in Seoul yesterday - it won't start until January though.
  • Rodney 4 Apr 2013 09:10:11 1,930 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It wouldnt be my destination of choice, low chance of anything happening but the consequences would be pretty dire if they did.

I would hate to think what would happen to westerners captured by the north if war broke out.
  • chopsen 4 Apr 2013 09:15:12 16,290 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Foreign office seem remarkably chilled about it all:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/south-korea
  • ZuluHero 4 Apr 2013 09:18:57 4,328 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    I would hate to think what would happen to westerners captured by the north if war broke out.
    They're smacked and told not to be naughty, but basically let off? ;)

(is it too serious to be making jokes?)
  • glaeken 4 Apr 2013 09:23:08 11,266 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The problem isn't so much the fat little tit, it's 'murika taking the bait and rattling their testosterone. It's pretty clear that NK isn't trying so much to start a war between them and anyone, it's that they want to cause a situation between the US and China.
    I would imagine the military industrial complex within America would like to capitalise on NK. It's the only real enemy America now have that they can sort of justify having high tech weaponry for. See the deployment of the US missile shield to Guam.

NK is almost the perfect enemy really as they potential are dangerous but it's very unlikely they will actually do anything beyond spouting stupid over the top rhetoric which can be used to justify defence spending in America.
  • JiveHound 4 Apr 2013 09:40:19 2,747 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nothing like a good cold war to waste resources on new deathtoys.

At least real wars sometimes lead to medical breakthroughs.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• chopsen 4 Apr 2013 09:58:12 16,290 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post Iraq/Afghanistan, I don't think there's much appetite with the general population in US/UK to go charging in and "fix" bits of the world by military force given how it went last time. Though attitude to getting their hands dirty with foreign policy seems cyclical wrt the US, so it's probably just matter of time.
  • disusedgenius 4 Apr 2013 10:07:28 5,625 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Yeah, but the Cold War got us to the Moon!
  • Deleted user 4 April 2013 10:08:42
    Chopsen wrote:
    Post Iraq/Afghanistan, I don't think there's much appetite with the general population in US/UK to go charging in and "fix" bits of the world by military force given how it went last time. Though attitude to getting their hands dirty with foreign policy seems cyclical wrt the US, so it's probably just matter of time.
    Starting to get a sense of this impression from around the net. Which is harsh on america. What are they meant to do? just stand around and let it all happen? They're not really charging in are they?

Edit - just sort of misread your message - i don't think there is much appetite, but if NK keep going on as they are, we may not have a choice to go in and fix a wrong.
    Edited by joelstinton at 10:08:56 04-04-2013

Edited by joelstinton at 10:15:04 04-04-2013
  • Deleted user 4 April 2013 10:11:25
    disusedgenius wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:
    Yeah, but the Cold War got us to the Moon!
    Cold war and hitler
  • magicpanda 4 Apr 2013 10:12:32 13,486 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Norks have to back down soon, the point of no return is coming up real fast for them.

There are rumours floating around that the SK military have lost contact with two NK submarines.

Linky
  • disusedgenius 4 Apr 2013 10:16:35 5,625 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Cold war and hitler
    Hum. Good point. Some despot really needs to up their game if we're going to get to Mars...
  • Deleted user 4 April 2013 10:17:28
    heh no fucking backbone these days
  • mothercruncher 4 Apr 2013 10:29:24 7,880 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Edit - just sort of misread your message - i don't think there is much appetite, but if NK keep going on as they are, we may not have a choice to go in and fix a wrong.
    Edited by joelstinton at 10:08:56 04-04-2013
    There is so much morally wrong about that country, more than can be expressed.
    If the US go in then, it won't be to fix a "wrong" it'll be about money and trade.
  • oceanmotion 4 Apr 2013 10:54:16 16,129 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    North Korea apparently has quite large amounts of untapped mineral deposits. I imagine that looks quite tasty to a few countries. Just how they go about getting it.
  • senso-ji 4 Apr 2013 11:10:37 6,044 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    North Korea apparently has quite large amounts of untapped mineral deposits. I imagine that looks quite tasty to a few countries. Just how they go about getting it.
    Which is what China have their eye on. The Chinese already bought all the mineral contracts for Afghanistan from right under America's noses, they aren't going to give up more wealth that can be generated from their neighbour.

I doubt the US will do anything other than bomb NK artillery along the North-South Border in case something breaks out. China will not allow an invasion or prolonged military campaign of any kind.
  • Deleted user 4 April 2013 14:13:14
    Bugger image doesn't want to work.

Try this instead: Edited by joelstinton at 14:15:35 04-04-2013
  • billythekid 4 Apr 2013 14:21:01 11,403 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    North Korean missile launch
  • Elathron 4 Apr 2013 14:26:35 1,189 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I doubt the US will do anything other than bomb NK artillery along the North-South Border in case something breaks out. China will not allow an invasion or prolonged military campaign of any kind.
    Methinks they won't ahve much choice if NK does dare to do anything nuclear. They will lose their right to Veto under emergency rules, in fact, they will be forced by the UN/NATO charters to actively involve themselves in bringing about the end of the DPRK gvmnt. I doubt very much that China would want itself thrown out of the UN for even sympathising with a rogue state who luanched nuclear weapons. This is only if they have the insanity amongst them to actually launch one though.

The US is being provocative, sure - flying Spirit Bombers on anyone's coastline is going to provoke a reaction - but they're not threatening to launch WMD's Team America style. If I could place a bet, I would say that some military action is going to occur in the next few months; what kind however, depends on how far NK take their threats.

On that subject, I bet Kim is "feewing wery wonery" in the world right now...

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Bremenacht 4 Apr 2013 15:11:17 19,665 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    The US is being provocative, sure - flying Spirit Bombers on anyone's coastline is going to provoke a reaction - but they're not threatening to launch WMD's Team America style.
    They're not. They're doing something they've done for years, which is to provide strong military support to South Korea since the end of the Korean War. What was at least as provocative was the likes of China and Russia flogging modern weaponry to NK in decades past, which threatened SK security and led to the annual joint exercises with the US.
  • nickthegun 4 Apr 2013 15:16:31 61,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is quite funny how everyone expected KJU to be more moderate and forward thinking when he took over but has turned out to be more of an idiot than his father.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• MrDigital 4 Apr 2013 15:18:23 1,870 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It is quite funny how everyone expected KJU to be more moderate and forward thinking when he took over but has turned out to be more of an idiot than his father.
    Who's to say he is anything more than a figurehead for the regime though?

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Bremenacht 4 Apr 2013 15:29:09 19,665 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hah! He can't be that inbred and be Mr.Moderate-and-forward-thinking.

Anyway. Thread provides excuse for a favourite awsum wepon link:

http://www.dailytech.com/Guntoting+Sentry+Robots+Deployed+In+South+Korea/article19050.htm

Be sure to read the comments, where the DT resident libertarians muse on the use of such weapons to keep Mexicans out of the USA.
  • jakuande 4 Apr 2013 15:39:45 192 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    North Korea throws a wobbly once a year in response to annual joint maneuvers by South Korea and the US. Far worse things than bellicose rhetoric have happened in previous years : sinking of a Korean cruiser by NK sub, islands getting shelled by artillery etc, so I don't know why there's such a media fuss this time round.
  • cubbymoore 4 Apr 2013 15:41:29 36,507 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was an identifiable pattern with KJI. Nobody knows what the pattern with KJU is going to be, if there is one. That's why it's waaaaaaah.
  • Page

of 24 First / Last