GTA Chinatown Wars

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 22 June 2009 13:37:57
    Rockstar Games has announced that Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will be released for PSP this autumn.

Developed by the award-winning studio Rockstar Leeds, in conjunction with series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will be available at retail on UMD and digitally from the PlayStation Network.

"We're proud to extend this truly unique handheld Grand Theft Auto experience to PSP and offer a downloadable version of Chinatown Wars for PSPgo," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games.

"Rockstar Leeds has shown incredible talent in creating games that raise the bar in terms of depth and innovation on portables, and with Chinatown Wars we have a rich, fast-paced, and incredibly addictive entry into the series."

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars follows the story of Huang Lee, a young Triad who travels to Liberty City after the mysterious death of his father. Within the game, players will navigate their way through the streets as they uncover the truth behind an epic tale of crime and corruption within the Triad crime syndicate.

Specifically built for the PSP, the game will feature upscaled widescreen graphics, enhanced lighting and animation, plus all-new story missions.
  • DFawkes 22 Jun 2009 13:42:17 22,834 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well that's nice, but to be honest you can buy proper 3D GTA games on that. I do love Chinatown Wars, but that's because it feels like a DS GTA should.

Although if they dropped the camera down to the same level as Liberty City Stories and had it in the same GTA IV city, that could be awesome.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Whizzo 22 Jun 2009 13:44:14 43,096 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They'll probably make some money on the PSP too.

This space left intentionally blank.

• LetsGo 22 Jun 2009 13:44:55 5,184 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    online play would be nice.
  • Flying_Pig 22 Jun 2009 13:47:29 10,900 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Assume this will do away with the fun touch-screen mini games though...?
  • DFawkes 22 Jun 2009 13:58:03 22,834 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disc wrote:
    I'd love it if they kept the top down perspective to be honest.

Fair enough, it wouldn't really be Chinatown Wars without it. Should have the online play though, the DS managed that, as well as firends lists and linking up to the Rockstar site. It had some of the best online features I've seen on a DS game, I'd expect them to carry forward.

I am concerned about the touch screen stuff though. They better not turn them into QTEs.

• Blerk Moderator 22 Jun 2009 14:01:53 48,225 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Guess they must've lost a fortune on the DS version, then.
  • DanC89 24 Jun 2009 13:32:12 267 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Rebuilt from the ground up for PSP". 3D then, presumably?
  • midnight_walker 24 Jun 2009 13:41:06 1,949 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Assume this will do away with the fun touch-screen mini games though...?

No, they will keep the touchscreen games in. When you reach them they will be IMPOSSIBLE to complete, and the game will subsequently receive 10/10 anyway.
  • DFawkes 24 Jun 2009 13:52:55 22,834 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EG News Story Prediction: "Thousands of PSP Owners Crack Screens Attempting to Press Them on GTA Chinatown Wars"

It's clearly not rebuilt from the ground up. It's the DS game. That's not ground up, that's a port. I appreciate that was probably referring to the engine itself, whihc may be true, but it's still a port.

Still want it though :)

• Alastair 24 Jun 2009 14:15:03 15,619 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, I don't have a PSP so I guess I won't ever get to play this.
    It'll be interesting to see how the touch screen aspects are replaced. Throwing molotovs for example...

Not as nice as I used to be

• Deleted user 24 June 2009 14:47:00
    Wii version imminent.
  • Alastair 24 Jun 2009 14:59:37 15,619 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Guess they must've lost a fortune on the DS version, then.
    Probably, which is a shame as it's top notch. And possibly a sad indication of the DS demographic - it may have sold MILLIONS, but not to people interested in hand held shooting rampages.

Not as nice as I used to be

• DanC89 24 Jun 2009 17:47:50 267 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Hmm, I don't have a PSP so I guess I won't ever get to play this.
    It'll be interesting to see how the touch screen aspects are replaced. Throwing molotovs for example...
    It was just like doing it on the home consoles in the previous PSP iterations (ie holding the button longer for a greater throwing distance).
  • DanC89 24 Jun 2009 17:49:55 267 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cosmopolitan wrote:
    Wii version imminent.
    But wouldn't Rockstar think twice after CW? The demographics who bought the DS are similar to those who got a Wii are they not? (casuals :p)
  • Deleted user 27 August 2009 19:31:02
    Screens are out
  • LetsGo 27 Aug 2009 19:35:05 5,184 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    does anyone know if this has full online inrastructure modes?
  • TheStylishHobo 27 Aug 2009 19:40:26 3,185 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not sure what "infrastructure modes" are, but I would bet my house on it having the same, if not better, online as the DS.
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Oct 2009 22:23:33 5,460 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm. Tried a bit of it today, and the return to the old-school GTA doesn't sit well with me. (funnily enough)

Handling is atrociously comical, not even up to the old controls, with a strange "auto-steering" option that helps steer you down the middle of the street. Just feels wrong. Auto-aim is also a bit shabby, but the mini-games/actions still work well minus a stylus, and add a lil' immersion that's fun. The in-house radio production is poorer than GTA2 also, not a vocal to be heard on any track, and is probably the most jarring thing to me, after years of licensed tracks. As a DS port, it's the one thing they really should've improved on.

Guess I'm just disappointed, and it's not a patch on the Stories, but I'll persevere for a while longer.....
  • Murbal 23 Oct 2009 09:05:48 22,109 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I actually think CW is better than the Stories games for what it's worth although I haven't played the PSP version - yet. The auto steer is actually a neat addition and makes navigating the streets that little bit easier, a small adjustment here, then the car straightens out. It's neat and saves faffing around tapping left/right until the car is travelling in a straight line.
  • Murbal 23 Oct 2009 09:06:24 22,109 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know it's pricey too - but I'm still half tempted with the DD :-/

More fool me.
  • jonsaan 23 Oct 2009 10:41:36 25,342 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not so pricey if you have more than one psp.

FCUTA!

• Murbal 23 Oct 2009 11:13:19 22,109 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Future Cop always looked interesting to me back in the day but I've never played it. Worth a punt?
  • dsmx 23 Oct 2009 11:25:38 7,589 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've also noticed tat GTA chinatown wars eats through your battery. It took away 40% of the charge on mine in less than 1 hour.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Deleted user 23 October 2009 11:29:01
    dsmx wrote:
    I've also noticed tat GTA chinatown wars eats through your battery. It took away 40% of the charge on mine in less than 1 hour.
    333Mhz confirmed then I guess.

My buddy gets 55 minutes of GT Portable UMD on his PSP-1000.
  • Kay 23 Oct 2009 11:31:54 17,840 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A DS port requires 333mhz. :D
  • SYS64738 23 Oct 2009 11:32:40 1,654 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did they port the DS's wristwatch battery as well? ;)

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• Deleted user 23 October 2009 11:33:40
    are you trolling the DS battery life in a PSP thread. really now.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous