of 23 First / Last

• mal 11 Apr 2010 04:20:45 22,710 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/first-gears-of-war-3-details-emerge

Pretty much shows why the karma system is rubbish

Voted down for being meta ;)

I also don't see what's wrong with the voting in that thread. Granted, people who are saying that gears 2 offline or just gears 2 in general is poor seem to be getting a pasting, and a couple of comments with borderline sick humour (mainstay of the forum!) got voted down, but most otherwise things seem to get voted up in the main (even clean jokes).

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Gland 8 Jun 2010 10:42:16 78,449 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bump.

So this turned out for be a complete load of fanboy fuelled, retarded shit then.

Any chance of ditching it?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• craigy Staff 8 Jun 2010 11:15:34 7,721 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yes of course! Right away sir!
  • Spectral 8 Jun 2010 11:18:12 5,008 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree, the majority vote down anything that contradicts their own opinion, whether its a relevant post or not.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 8 Jun 2010 11:29:01 7,012 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Isn't the idea behind it to act as a vent for fanboy rage?

The idea being someone just clicks negative karma and feels like they've stuck it to the OP rather than feeling the need to ragepost a ranting reply?
  • Futaba 8 Jun 2010 11:30:04 3,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't blame you for test implementing it here but I already knew from using youtube how it can easily be abused. I'm indifferent to it/ignore it but I suppose the issue might be if someone has a filter set up (e.g. not to view any comments with -5 or lower) they might miss out on some interesting or useful comment that they would've wanted to read.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Gland 8 Jun 2010 11:30:17 78,449 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    Isn't the idea behind it to act as a vent for fanboy rage?

The idea being someone just clicks negative karma and feels like they've stuck it to the OP rather than feeling the need to ragepost a ranting reply?
    If that were the case then fine, but it doesn't seem to have thwarted the march of the retards much, it's just added another weapon to their unreasoned arsenal of stupid.

• Lexx87 8 Jun 2010 11:31:11 20,863 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No it just makes me angry on how utterly retarded people are even more.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Metalfish 8 Jun 2010 11:31:36 8,830 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    the march of the retards
    Get me Morgan Freeman!
  • DFawkes 8 Jun 2010 11:32:19 23,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still hate it. I've seen people ask serious questions, I've answered them (factual stuff like does it have online) and been negged. Them they've asked again because I've been buried to them!

I know why it's there, but I don't like it on other sites and I like it less on EG.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Gland 8 Jun 2010 11:34:05 78,449 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Poor old craigy.

• Lexx87 8 Jun 2010 11:36:59 20,863 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's just that it's not there to get rid of posts where someone writes "FUCKING COCKFAGS HAAHAHHAHAHA" it just gets rid of any difference to one persons views.

Speak the truth hussy!

• MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Jun 2010 11:38:39 38,699 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it's a big failure as well. There's fanboys that mark down everything that doesn't fit into their blinkered views. There's idiots that mark down the posters they don't like regardless of content and then there's the retards that vote down every comment for shits and giggles

Fail fail and fail again.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Bremenacht 8 Jun 2010 13:45:31 18,721 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Oh yes of course! Right away sir!
    Chop-chop then, 'pooter wallah.
    Nice cup of tea for the boss-man while you're at it.
  • phAge 8 Jun 2010 13:52:59 24,386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    I think it's a big failure as well. There's fanboys that mark down everything that doesn't fit into their blinkered views. There's idiots that mark down the posters they don't like regardless of content and then there's the retards that vote down every comment for shits and giggles

Indeed. A wonderful demonstration of why democracy sucks.

Seriously though - the karma system is fucking shit and as a device intended to make the comments section less tard-y, it fails in the most spectacular fashion possible.
  • Bremenacht 8 Jun 2010 13:53:44 18,721 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DDevil wrote:

It does stink, but then comments stink anyway and anyone who takes them seriously (or the karma nazis) is being silly. It's a nice cheap way of praising good posts without wasting your time typing.

Besides - how many forum regulars with itchy bowels take great delight in pooping out a flaming turd at the beginning of a comment thread for a headline game, in the hope of plumbing new karma depths? Plenty.
  • mrpon 17 Aug 2010 09:44:57 29,190 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    3's & 7's = great song

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 17 Aug 2010 09:56:09 10,861 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Because that would encourage the 'tards from the Comments threads to migrate even more to the forums.

Not to be encouraged at all.
  • Deleted user 20 August 2010 11:56:56
    Good thinking, if I hadn't been linked to that story I never would have negged it

Everyone knows only Spinal Tap got to 11

Cheers ;)
  • Deckard1 20 Aug 2010 12:47:28 28,737 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like it - I know if I'm getting pluses I've been a good boy and I can treat my self to a biscuit or possibly a small flan. If I get minuses I know I have to punish myself by maybe missing a meal or cutting hateful remarks into my legs. Its all about self discipline, and being the best commenter you can be.
  • shamblemonkee 20 Aug 2010 13:29:08 14,485 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • craigy Staff 20 Aug 2010 14:41:03 7,721 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PS_2010 wrote:
    I have an idea:

It should be made possible for a user to see who has either + or - them, along with stats of the persons patterns of + and -

Today i was - for posting 11/10 for Gran Turismo 5 screen shots.
    It was probably by an X360 fanboy ;)
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-19-gran-turismo-5-article/comments

No! What will come from seeing who's negging your comments? It will only flare up arguments and confrontation.
  • craigy Staff 20 Aug 2010 15:25:13 7,721 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh OK.

/enables
  • Deleted user 20 August 2010 16:07:04
    I think it's crap as well for the various reasons listed above. It's just another way for idiots to troll. Either get rid of it or just leave the positive vote option in. That way, at the very least really good posts will get the recognition they deserve.
  • Page

of 23 First / Last