Kinect Page 275

• Page

of 279 First / Last

• TheRealBadabing 16 Nov 2011 14:14:28 1,198 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is great for kids but with one pretty big flaw: if you want to join in, it will have difficulty picking up two differently sized players. It works most of the time but normally someone's legs end up looking mangled.
  • oceanmotion 22 Nov 2011 21:21:14 15,274 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kinect for Windows is getting some new hardware all to itself.

Link

Since announcing a few weeks ago that the Kinect for Windows commercial program will launch in early 2012, we’ve been asked whether there will also be new Kinect hardware especially for Windows. The answer is yes; building on the existing Kinect for Xbox 360 device, we have optimized certain hardware components and made firmware adjustments which better enable PC-centric scenarios. Coupled with the numerous upgrades and improvements our team is making to the Software Development Kit (SDK) and runtime, the new hardware delivers features and functionality that Windows developers and Microsoft customers have been asking for.

Simple changes include shortening the USB cable to ensure reliability across a broad range of computers and the inclusion of a small dongle to improve coexistence with other USB peripherals. Of particular interest to developers will be the new firmware which enables the depth camera to see objects as close as 50 centimeters in front of the device without losing accuracy or precision, with graceful degradation down to 40 centimeters. “Near Mode” will enable a whole new class of “close up” applications, beyond the living room scenarios for Kinect for Xbox 360. This is one of the most requested features from the many developers and companies participating in our Kinect for Windows pilot program and folks commenting on our forums, and we’re pleased to deliver this, and more, at launch.

Another thing we’ve heard from our pilot customers is that companies exploring commercial uses of Kinect want to operate with the assurance of support and future innovation from Microsoft. As part of Microsoft’s deep commitment to NUI, we designed the Kinect for Windows commercial program to give licensed customers access to ongoing updates in both speech and human tracking (where Microsoft has been investing for years), in addition to providing fully supported Kinect hardware for Windows. We’ve been captivated by the countless creative ways companies worldwide envision how their businesses and industries can be revolutionized with Kinect, and are proud to be helping those companies to explore the profound implications NUI has for the future.
  • Psychotext 22 Nov 2011 22:13:20 52,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice. That'll work really nicely for the hackers too.
  • Psychotext 28 Nov 2011 22:36:23 52,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If anyone is interested in a fitness game... I just got Your Shape 2012 and it's so much better than the first game. A ton more content and it's far better at tracking your body now.

Good stuff.
  • VCLXI 29 Nov 2011 08:21:07 283 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    It is great for kids but with one pretty big flaw: if you want to join in, it will have difficulty picking up two differently sized players. It works most of the time but normally someone's legs end up looking mangled.
    Really? I've never had any problem with it picking up me and my five year old when both playing it. Always worked quite seamlessly.

Edited by VCLXI at 08:21:19 29-11-2011
  • TheRealBadabing 29 Nov 2011 09:21:37 1,198 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    According to Sports (1 and 2), we are within the zone suitable for two players. Unfortunately, if my daughter starts playing then I join in, one of us always ends up being distorted/borderline unplayable.

Maybe it's because some titles just calibrate to the first player and stay there. Same thing happens if we change players without quitting back to the menu and starting over again.

Just Dance 3 is a lot more flexible and responsive for drop-in/out games, so it's clearly a software issue.
  • PatrickEwing 1 Dec 2011 15:27:32 2,088 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thinking of getting my brother in law Kinect Sports for Christmas. Any particular preferences on here over Kinect Sports Season 1 or 2, or does it mainly depend on what sports tickle your fancy?
  • thefilthandthefury 26 Dec 2011 23:00:34 24,903 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So do you need less room to use this now, or what? My living room only has just over six feet of spare room, I'd say... once I've shifted the table.
  • barchetta 27 Dec 2011 00:15:12 1,292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Think it depends on number of players as some games, such as Kinect Adventures, appear to look for more floorspace. Our area is around 8ft wide by 7ft deep and will lose track of the kids quite easily.

Just getting into it though so may get easier.

Think we'll pick up Your Shape 2012 next as the latest round of hospitality is sitting heavy as I type.
  • thefilthandthefury 27 Dec 2011 00:42:13 24,903 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm, I keep getting tempted to try it out but the space thing really seems a bit touch and go. Ideally I'd like a friend to buy one, then I could borrow it first or something. Ah well...
  • Psychotext 27 Dec 2011 03:48:15 52,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    Think we'll pick up Your Shape 2012 next as the latest round of hospitality is sitting heavy as I type.
    Dance Central 2 can make for a pretty good workout too. :)
  • CharlieStCloud 27 Dec 2011 16:15:01 4,700 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Last Christmas, everyone wanted to have a go on the Kinect!

This Christmas however, nobody had a care in the world about it...

Rubbish.
  • barchetta 28 Dec 2011 17:05:33 1,292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

Rubbish.
    Heh, I am wondering about that but for now it has that 'new shiny' thing going on... Our Wii has sat in the av cabinet like the ugly duckling since its first Christmas too.... ought to have learnt our lesson. :/
  • CharlieStCloud 30 Dec 2011 10:10:05 4,700 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Has anyone got any good things to say about Hole in the Wall...?

Fancy downloading that for when the family comes over on New Years Day.
  • northernlights 30 Dec 2011 10:45:25 606 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

Rubbish.
    Heh, I am wondering about that but for now it has that 'new shiny' thing going on... Our Wii has sat in the av cabinet like the ugly duckling since its first Christmas too.... ought to have learnt our lesson. :/
    I have been tempted by the £79 price tag over the past weeks but i really can't see a use for it other than perhaps one afternoons worth of fun. I mean I really can't see myself moving away fro the likes of skyrim to play on this. But I guess it isn't aimed at me. Id rather spend £79 on a couple of new games.
  • richarddavies 30 Dec 2011 10:50:42 2,572 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got one for the kids for christmas and they love it enough which is the main thing. It pisses me off mainly. Pretty much every game i've played up to yet seems to work okay-ish if your on your own but throw a second person in the mix and it keps getting confuddled. Constantly asking you to move backwards, forwards, left and right or not picking up your movements etc.
  • barchetta 30 Dec 2011 10:55:55 1,292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm currently working in upstairs office (and on my bloody birthday too!) and can hear the kids cursing the Kinect at the moment..! Does seem to be quite fussy with room setup/lighting (admittedly we are on the edge for 2 player gaming). Heard good and bad (but mostly bad) things about that Nyko 'wide-angle' though confusingly called 'zoom' attachment. Think it may be easier to knock through into next-doors'.

Edited by barchetta at 10:56:36 30-12-2011
  • CharlieStCloud 30 Dec 2011 11:00:00 4,700 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    northernlights wrote:
    I'd rather spend £79 on a couple of new games.
    That's what a couple of my friends said too.

I love Child of Eden on the Kinect... but you can quite happily play it with a 'normal controller' and the only two standout titles is Dance Central and Kinect Sports.

I think Microsoft are more interested with their Kinect business being in the world of Information Technology at the moment unfortunately.

Hole in the Wall anyone...?
  • KD 30 Dec 2011 11:01:28 616 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My kinect had alot of use this year tbh and in no way do i regret buying it, I still have the odd game of kinect sports or child of eden when alone but really had my moneys worth on the weekends with mates over getting pissed up. It not gonna be great for everyone but with my large living room i dont have to move tables or anything for it to work tidy and I live alone so pretty often there people here drinking etc.
  • Dave_McCoy 30 Dec 2011 11:28:13 2,745 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud Download the trial. I had a little go and it's *ok*...like most Kinect games it makes me feel like a tit because it insists taking pictures of your various poses to get through the wall. Then it shows you in an 'hilarious' montage after each round.

At least I think it did, I was quite drunk.
  • Deleted user 30 December 2011 11:32:02
    Over a year on and still no proper games, despite rampant defending in this thread. The best - and well, only - games on it are sporting mini game collection and a dancing game, and people were pissing their pants when I said the game selection would be identical to the Wii.
    I WIN YOU FUCKS

/subtle and classy as always
  • the_dudefather 30 Dec 2011 11:46:29 8,987 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a bit cheaper now on Amazon and in store at game at the moment (80 quid) if anyone was tempted

Although it looks like Game might have taken all the sensor only packs and bundled them together with games (needforspeedtherunlol)

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• oceanmotion 30 Dec 2011 11:50:06 15,274 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Really, didn't think people defended it that much. If it couldn't do basic things really well then what hope did it have of anything else. You would have to be a blind sheep to think otherwise. I think some people thought devs would get better with it but now it's proven nobody can as it's hardware related, otherwise known as being shit.

MS have done well keeping it going this long. Funny how voice has suddenly sprung to the forefront, need something else to limp it over for another year or two until Kinect 2.0 on Xbox 3 and Windows were it might be more functional.
  • Psychotext 30 Dec 2011 11:57:43 52,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still using my Kinect every day... it's awesome as a fitness aid. :)

(Pretty much no use at all for games though)
  • Widge Moderator 30 Dec 2011 12:02:28 12,618 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:I think some people thought devs would get better with it
    This is the big issue. As shown with hurried ports for the PS3, multiplat devs are only concerned with getting a game out on time and on budget to as many users as possible. No way they would want to spend time and effort getting the best out of hardware that is only applicable to a fraction of one platform.

The way this was going to be successful was to plough lots of first party titles and effort into it.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Deleted user 30 December 2011 12:02:54
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Really, didn't think people defended it that much. If it couldn't do basic things really well then what hope did it have of anything else. You would have to be a blind sheep to think otherwise. I think some people thought devs would get better with it but now it's proven nobody can as it's hardware related, otherwise known as being shit.
    Oh they did, massively so. Despite it being obvious months before release that it would be a flop on the 360 and would be lucky to share the Wii's party pooper games. It has turned out exactly as predicted. Which is a shame really.
  • nickthegun 30 Dec 2011 12:05:55 56,034 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got one yesterday from game. 99 quid for a kinect, 2 (3 if you count the pack in) games minus about 40 quid for a few trade ins and I'm more than happy.

It shits on the wii. So much so, I forget you can move around, so I stay rooted to the spot, waving my arms around like I'm playing wii sports.

Also, it's probably been answered earlier, but do those nyka focussing lenses work? My living room is just on the edge of being big enough for 2 players.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• northernlights 30 Dec 2011 12:06:07 606 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Im sure if I borrowed it for a few days I would have some fun with it. Ive heard Gunslinger is pretty good and I'm sure Kinect Sports is fun. Its just for me personally If I have Skyrim, Gears, Assassins Creed on the shelf I see no reason to play Kinect over these. Also the next 12 months doesn't look like we will be getting much different. Kinect Star Wars looks awful. Why should I buy this if Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect 3 etc are coming out. Again though I think its not aimed at me.
  • Sid-Nice 30 Dec 2011 12:08:38 15,811 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't regret buying Kinect, I just don't use it. It has been almost a year since it has been used; now my biggest fear is ending up in hospital and the surgeon says "Kinect scalpel."

NNID Sid-Nice

• Psychotext 30 Dec 2011 12:18:39 52,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Also, it's probably been answered earlier, but do those nyka focussing lenses work? My living room is just on the edge of being big enough for 2 players.
    The short answer is "sort of". It creates quite a few issues of its own.
  • Page

of 279 First / Last