City of Heroes Page 52

• Page

of 55 First / Last

• Whizzo 4 Oct 2006 16:21:05 43,133 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The double pack of CoH/CoV is launching Friday, I assume it's to help bolster the numbers on the servers when new players turn up and try and tempt people back who've lapsed.

The veterans programme starts in November with issue 8 so that adds something old players maybe tempted by.

This space left intentionally blank.

• HitchHiker 6 Oct 2006 17:36:13 2,775 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is there a free trial of this available?

HH.
  • Xensor 6 Oct 2006 18:14:59 1,052 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ahh City of Heroes, my first MMO love :p As fae as i am concerned CoH is one of the greatest MMO's ever but seriously hampered by a total lack of an end game (you've got your toon to 50 now what? Err... roll another toon?), the lack of any serious diversions from missions and most critically CoV.

IMHO from the moment CoV turn up CoH has been in decline most due to Dev neglect. Bottom line is all the people who played CoH played it because they want to be a HERO and team with other HEROES. The whole tone lowered as soon as CoV appeared and it felt like the Devs neglected CoH for 18 months while they fawned all over their new baby. Oh and the icing on the cake (or nail in the coffin) for me at least was when they released Grandville, the 40-50 CoV zone. A layout that frankly penalised superspeeders, the most HIDEOUS graphics lag on any game i've every played on my pc (it didn't matter if i ran and 1680x1050 full effects or 300x200 with no effects my framerate would struggle to get into double figures) and nothing but tumbleweeds for CoH.

I will probably come back for a last look when i8 is released as i'm still paying subs but if nothing is drasticslly improved i cant see me every playing again. Which is sad because for a while there its was the best game i had EVER played bar none.
  • HitchHiker 6 Oct 2006 21:13:48 2,775 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    Is there a free trial of this available?

HH.

Bumping for the evening crowd.

HH.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 May 2007 12:31:55 25,914 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ridiculous bump time!

Whilst waiting for a couple of hours for the LoTRO server to decide to let me in over the weekend, I decided to have a bit of a tidy up and discovered an unopened copy of City of Heroes. Hmmm I thought, might give this a quick go.

/7 hours later after patching had finished

Why have I not played this before? This is the most fun I've had gaming in ages! The character creation tool is superb, the atmosphere just exudes fun and the people that play are friendly, amusing and generally out to have a good time. I haven't touched LoTRO since and haven't had much sleep due to extended bouts of crime fighting.

I realise it's probably a little unlikely due to me joining the party about 7 years too late, but are there any other EG superheroes out there?
  • Whizzo 9 May 2007 12:36:15 43,133 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not any more, I went back for a couple of hours as my account was reactivated again for issue 9 but it's lost the sparkle. I still can't believe they've not fixed the depth of field or water issues when you using AA on an ATI card either, that bollocks was shit when CoV launched!

Defiant was pretty empty when I went on it, I think I was the only hero in Brickstown when I logged in and heading over to Steel Canyon to visit a university was pretty quiet too.

It's a good game but far too samey and, while it has the best MMO combat going, I wasn't tempted to renew.

It'll be interesting to see what Cryptic does with the Marvel license.

Edited by Whizzo at 12:36:56 09-05-2007

• kalel 9 May 2007 12:39:26 87,751 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Most fun I ever had this was, sadly those days are over now really.
  • Stickman 9 May 2007 12:42:03 29,666 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For me, the CoH star always burned brightest but shortest of the MMOs. Loved it for a week then got bored quick.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• StarchildHypocrethes 9 May 2007 12:45:21 25,914 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aye. I can see the appeal not being particularly long lasting.

Bloody good fun at the moment though. I can fly!! Hopefully by the time it runs out the frame rate issues in LoTRO may have been resolved!

Shame there's no EGers around. Guess I'll have to join a strangers super group then...

/shudders
  • kalel 9 May 2007 12:53:49 87,751 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Eviltobz still plays this a lot I think. Not round here much, but if you can hunt him down then you might get some EG supergroup action.
  • PiD 9 May 2007 13:26:02 3,566 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I play CoH/CoV with my flatmate on Defiant.

Only recently picked this up again so have low level characters :(
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 May 2007 13:38:14 25,914 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ony started this weekend, so I'm only level 9 I think. On Defiant too, so might see you there.

Look to the skies and you may see the heroic Dyslexic Mna very slowly floating by!
  • lucasmax 9 May 2007 13:46:38 363 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Im still playing coh on defiant, the invention stuff is addictive, and the statesman task force is suitably hard.

We have the no.14 sg on defiant at the momment

http://www.theultimateinferno.com

it should have some information there how to join up.
  • Darkflight 9 May 2007 13:47:52 65 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I still play this a fair bit, just got back into it with the latest Issue update.

Not a very active EG member, more a lurker, but I have an SG which has been around since the EU beta. The longevity comes in new characters and teaming with friends.

I can't stand any other MMO, bar my stint at uni on Planetside. Tabula looks intriguing, as do the Star Trek and Stargate online games. Guildwars was nice, with its story and progression, but the instancing, lack of movement, the fact levels didn't stop aggro against you and the incessant need to upgrade all the time.

COH is great with it's Sidekick system, even the new auction house/invention system is nowhere near as annoying as the trading/need to upgrade in other MMOs as you can function perfectly well using the standard enhancement system, without touching the trading/inventing at all.

Auto Assault got boring quick as none of my SG tried it also, people you know really can make the difference. I won't list the SG address here, save me being accused of soliciting ;), but if anyone's interested, reply or PM me.
  • PiD 9 May 2007 14:08:36 3,566 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Ony started this weekend, so I'm only level 9 I think. On Defiant too, so might see you there.

Look to the skies and you may see the heroic Dyslexic Mna very slowly floating by!

Skapid or FourOneFive are my two characters atm. Ill add you to my friends list since im not too far behind you in level.
  • Stickman 9 May 2007 14:28:11 29,666 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Dyslexic Mna

/applauds

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• kalel 9 May 2007 14:30:36 87,751 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LOL :)

Anyone else keep seeing that "How much debt have you got" thread and thinking of CoH?
  • PearOfAnguish 9 May 2007 14:33:06 7,305 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    LOL :)

Anyone else keep seeing that "How much debt have you got" thread and thinking of CoH?

Oh man, the last time I logged onto CoH I took one look at the debt and quit straight away. It's depressing.
  • Whizzo 9 May 2007 14:35:30 43,133 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If only the half debt in missions was there from the start, I'd have levelled a lot more!

• Spectral 9 May 2007 14:43:42 4,991 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How good is this game? I want to start an MMO and dont really know which to start with. Never played one with a sub before, nearest thing I've got is Guild Wars. I was going to play WoW, I even bought it but cant seem to get round to starting it. Reading things online about getting kicked from groups for not intimately knowing the best tactics for your class doesn't help. So since I haven't put the code in yet I can use that anytime. So I leave it up to my fellow EGers, what MMO do I play. WoW, LOTRO or CoH/V?

Edited by Spectral at 14:44:54 09-05-2007
  • lucasmax 9 May 2007 14:49:19 363 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    id say in terms of easiest to learn

coh > wow > lotro

lotro sort of assumes you are already familiar with wow-style interfaces

coh is quite easy to pick up but hasnt got the depth of the others (which is a plus and minus)

Just go for what you fancy most, coh has the nicest community but by far the least people playing
  • kalel 9 May 2007 14:54:16 87,751 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CoH is certainly a good game, there’s no doubt about it. It’s a very good “my first MMO”, as it’s just generally easy to ick up anda pretty friendly game world. It’s the least “beardy” one around by some way as well. After a while it will only be fun if you play in a group you enjoy playing with, there’s not a huge amount of potential for soloing, but I’d recommend it very highly. As I say, back when I was really into I absolutely ‘loved’ it, I was pretty obsessed with it in fact. Had a Supergroup team photo as my desktop wallpaper for some time…
  • PiD 9 May 2007 15:01:29 3,566 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My vote is for CoH/CoV, out of all the MMO's ive played ive got on with this the best. It really is better when you have a group to play with though.

Anyway you can get CoH/CoV for £13!
  • Spectral 9 May 2007 15:03:01 4,991 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How much is the monthly sub on it?
  • Ajay 9 May 2007 15:05:21 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:Look to the skies and you may see the heroic Dyslexic Mna very slowly floating by!
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a penchant for comedy supernames! I loved playing around with the creation tool so much I created far more heroes and villains than I could ever play, though Vanilla Sheikh, Vigil Auntie and King Prawn stick in my minds.

It's also probably the friendliest MMO I've played. The lack of any loot issues really seems to chill people out. Enjoy it, it's a lot of fun.

Edited by Ajay at 15:05:59 09-05-2007
  • PiD 9 May 2007 15:17:19 3,566 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    How much is the monthly sub on it?

£9 a months, which is for both games! Bargain.

/awaits his cheque from ncsoft..

If you pay in chunks, meh, it can work out as £7.50 a month
  • HMAN 9 May 2007 19:02:38 269 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I started playing this about a month ago but got bored quickly. If other people from here are playing I might go back.
  • PiD 9 May 2007 21:49:49 3,566 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was on for a bit, was amusing to see the invasion from union since the server was dead.

Quite alot of tards on there
  • Page

of 55 First / Last