• Deleted user 5 March 2013 16:13:34
    Is it still called Thifourth?
  • Deleted user 5 March 2013 16:31:27
    I think they dropped that a while back.

Hopefully.
  • spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 16:33:47 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gameinformer have a brief video on their site about the game with some developer insight:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/03/05/april-cover-revealed-thief.aspx

At 00:51 there's a look at what is presumably the in-game model for Garret. Looks a little off to me (looks a bit too pale and I'm not sure about the ninja mask - he looks like something out of Mortal Kombat), but the game isn't out for another year yet anyway so I guess it may not be final.

Sounds like they're keeping the focus firmly on stealth, which is a good thing and a relief after so many franchise revivals in the last few years have seemed determined to break away from the ground that made their predecessors so loved.

Graphics look pretty nice too.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 5 March 2013 16:44:21
    Interesting little video. I don't mind the look to be honest. I mean. The guy doesn't exactly embrace daylight... I know what you mean though. Not what I initially imagined he would look like. Bit of a sinister bastard.
  • oceanmotion 5 Mar 2013 17:15:49 15,640 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice. Hopefully doesn't fall into automatic creed platforming. Please be good and sell well, this could be refreshing.
  • kalel 5 Mar 2013 17:19:07 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Sounds like they're keeping the focus firmly on stealth, which is a good thing and a relief after so many franchise revivals in the last few years have seemed determined to break away from the ground that made their predecessors so loved.
    No, that's not a good thing. We've been firmly assured that the best thing is for games like this is to become more like more recent popular games, and therefore sell better.
  • Deleted user 5 March 2013 19:24:35
    I've never played the Thief games before. Are they worth picking up now or should I just wait for the reboot?
  • fletch7100 5 Mar 2013 19:52:46 6,910 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Rec

They are worth playing. Unofficial patch came out last year for Thief 2, updates the graphics and fixes a large amount of bugs

From OXM

Update 2: The official Square Enix press release is here, in stupendous italics.

Time has moved on. Power has shifted. New greed replaces the old.
    But to remain free in The City of chains - that is still the greatest prize.
    First I stole to survive... then I survived to steal.
    I am one man; I hear your secrets, see your hidden truths.
    I am the shadows, the dark and deadly, the velvet night. You will not see me coming.
    I am Garrett....What's yours is mine.

There is a rising tide of fear in The City. Hatred saturates every stone and whilst the rich prosper, the less fortunate face misery and repression. Ravaged with sickness and famine, they wait for something to change.

Into this shadowy world steps Garrett, THE master thief in a first-person adventure featuring intelligent design that allows players to take full control, with freedom to choose their path through the game's levels and how they approach and overcome each challenge.

"We're handling a precious gemstone with THIEF. Fans remember the original games very fondly and we want to preserve that essence - which we have excellent experience of doing at Eidos-Montréal - whilst also introducing THIEF to a brand new, next-generation, audience," D'Astous observes in the release.

"Our goal is to deliver the fantasy of being Garrett, THE master thief, and we're building this game around that core experience."

Edited by fletch7100 at 19:53:42 05-03-2013
  • MetalDog 5 Mar 2013 20:26:29 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rec
    You can pick up all three over at www.gog.com - highly recommend you do =)

Fingers crossed for some genuinely Thiefy new gaming. I hope Stephen Russell voices again too.
    The model doesn't look like the craggy-faced Garret I came to know and love, but since we shouldn't be looking at him all the time, that should be okay.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 20:34:28 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rec wrote:
    I've never played the Thief games before. Are they worth picking up now or should I just wait for the reboot?
    Worth playing. The best is definitely Thief 2. It looks a bit creaky now (to be honest it wasn't a looker when it was first released), but the gameplay shines through and there's a metric shitonne of excellent user-mad levels (including entire campaigns) to boot.

Deadly Shadows was a mixed bag. Some levels in isolation were utterly excellent (Shalebridge Cradle), but it was also gimped for last-gen consoles and some stuff, like the city hub, were a missed opportunity.

I wouldn't mind an open-world Thief, with missions accessed at specific locations actually. Be interesting if that's the direction that Montreal are going with it, especially given their work with Deus Ex.

Now all they need to do is announce a revival of System Shock...

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• CharlieStCloud 5 Mar 2013 20:40:38 5,012 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There was a one particular area/level in Deadly Shadows that manages to scare me up into something real deep shit creek ... what was it called?

Made me scared.

: (
  • Deleted user 5 March 2013 20:42:27
    The Cradle?
  • CharlieStCloud 5 Mar 2013 20:45:00 5,012 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    meme wrote:
    The Cradle?
    : (

Think so, yes.
  • spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 20:46:58 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There was an excellent article I read years back dedicated especially to that one level.

The guy who designed it went on to be the one given main job on Bioshock 2, iirc.

EDIT: This is it. Written by Kieron Gillen no less.

Edited by darkmorgado at 20:48:16 05-03-2013

• spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 20:49:29 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wonder if the game will address the ending of Deadly Shadows. It was heavily implied that Garret was taking on an apprentice.

• MetalDog 5 Mar 2013 20:50:26 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I always thought Return to the Cathedral in the first game was scarier - but I did enjoy rocking the cradle in a huddled-sobbing-in-a-shadowy-corner sort of way =D

• Deleted user 5 March 2013 20:59:09
    Thanks. I'll take a look at them then. Good old Gog.com. Always has the oldies! ;)
  • Deleted user 5 March 2013 21:02:36
    Return to the Cathedral was proper scary stuff. I inched painfully through that level.

I remember being suitably freaked out playing the level The Sword where you go into the Tricksters mansion. Up in the third floor things got seriously weird.

The zombies got a hard time in Thief but I personally loved them and missed them in the Metal Age. Plus the ghosts and those creepy sword carrying guys with the skull faces.

No game scared me like Thief did.
  • spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 21:10:07 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rec wrote:
    Thanks. I'll take a look at them then. Good old Gog.com. Always has the oldies! ;)
    They're all on Steam as well :)

In fact it was only recently they were all heavily discounted.

• MetalDog 5 Mar 2013 21:12:26 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Haunts - with their backwards ranting. They scared the shit out of me.

The Sword was cool, yeah. The first time you come across something a little... off about the place you wonder and then it just escalates into 'Garret, what the HELL have you got yourself into?'.

• Deleted user 5 March 2013 21:21:14
    @darkmorgado

Yeah. I might wait till they come back on offer then. It usually isn't long till they do :)
  • Luke_Martin_VA 5 Mar 2013 21:23:22 160 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bring it

w w w . v o x e l a r c a d e . c o m

• Luke_Martin_VA 5 Mar 2013 21:23:29 160 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bring it

w w w . v o x e l a r c a d e . c o m

• spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 21:31:17 27,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rec wrote:
    @darkmorgado

Yeah. I might wait till they come back on offer then. It usually isn't long till they do :)
    To be fair, at only seven quid each on Steam atm they're still good value. Especially when you take into account the number user-made levels for the first 2 games.

There's also a very good mod to Doom 3 which pretty faithfully managed to translate the Thief gameplay over to the idTech4 as a total conversion. It's still updated too, with the latest version released just in October.

http://www.thedarkmod.com/posts/tdm-1-08-is-finally-here/

Edited by darkmorgado at 21:34:16 05-03-2013

• fletch7100 7 Mar 2013 13:06:25 6,910 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    http://gamingeverything.com/42090/thief-tons-of-details-from-game-informer/

Edited by fletch7100 at 13:08:50 07-03-2013
  • Mr_Sleep 7 Mar 2013 13:25:45 16,838 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    I remember being suitably freaked out playing the level The Sword where you go into the Tricksters mansion. Up in the third floor things got seriously weird.
    Hah, yeah, that level is awesome. The swirly kaleidoscopic passage was ace. I'm so tempted to give the Thief 2 patch a go but I've got so much on the to-play pile that I can't really. Maybe when I get Deus Ex cleared.

You are a factory of sadness.

• ronuds 7 Mar 2013 20:28:59 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    http://gamingeverything.com/42090/thief-tons-of-details-from-game-informer/
    Sounds good. I can't tell where they're going with combat, though.
  • TheHammerite 8 Mar 2013 03:04:31 1,512 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Return To The Cathedral has such an unsettling atmosphere. As does The Haunted Cathedral level. I thought it was genius the way you glimpsed inside the cathedral a few levels before you went back.

My favorite game of all time.
  • Dr.Haggard 14 Mar 2013 15:20:13 4,137 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Eidos Montreal are really starting to worry me now. I don't know if any of you are following the updates on Game Informer but things are starting to sound pretty bleak for Thief fans.

So far, off the top of my head, we have:

- Toning down the 'magical elements'
    - Focus mode
    - A Garret model that looks like a teenage goth
    - "more for the modern audience of today's console market"
    - "more action moves"

I've got the GI reveal article since for some reason I have a susbscription to the digital version on my tablet, but I can't check it right now for more heart-sinking quotes and tidbits.

This comment by Danjfor on the front page made me chuckle:
    We wanted to take that thing you liked and make it as shit as fucking possible. We wanted to destroy everything you hold beautiful and true. We wanted to take a hot piss right between your eyes.

So I wonder what they mean by 'magical elements'. No Pagans? Undead? No glyphs? The supernatural stuff is absolutely key to the story and the unique atmosphere the games have. It's so much more than a story about a thief in a medieval/steampunk setting, which is presumably what people who've never played it imagine it is.

I'm getting a strong feeling that's exactly what they're turning it into though.

Anyone still optimistic?
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Mar 2013 15:25:22 14,377 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They are going to kill it :(
    ...fuck sake!

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Page

of 17 First / Last