Zelda: Spirit Tracks

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous
  • Kay 25 Mar 2009 20:30:34 17,950 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    New Zelda time! Oh, but it's on the DS... looks just like Phantom Hourglass to me, with a train instead of a boat.

Here's the trailer

Hopefully - same core gameplay and controls from PH + better overworld + better music + more interesting and challenging dungeons = absolutely awesome sequel. If not, then it'll be merely 'great'.
  • JYM60 25 Mar 2009 20:35:28 16,879 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rumour has it, this is just to give the zelda fans something as the new wii zelda is taking way longer than expected, and is a mess at the minute.

If there's any truth in that, I'm happy enough. I'll avoid this as I hated PH, and hopefully when wii zelda arrives it wont just be another reskinned OOT.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• GrandpaUlrira 25 Mar 2009 20:37:52 3,752 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any source to that rumour about Wii Zelda? I'm incredibly unenthused about this new DS one, considering how mediocre Phantom Hourglass was.
  • Deleted user 25 March 2009 20:38:12
    I really enjoyed PH and it's nice to see some atypical weapons for once. But... a train?!?

Kinda removes the mindless exploring doesn't it?
  • JYM60 25 Mar 2009 20:40:04 16,879 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The rumour came from GAF. :D

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• GrandpaUlrira 25 Mar 2009 20:43:06 3,752 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any linkies? I love rumours like that. It reminds me of all the hype and anticipation for Zelda 64.
  • ProfessorLesser 25 Mar 2009 20:46:00 19,400 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Worst title ever.
  • Charlie_Miso 25 Mar 2009 20:56:18 1,191 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not the biggest PH fan but get the feeling I'll end up with ST regardless...
  • Kay 25 Mar 2009 21:20:06 17,950 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Title is crap, but it's not final yet. I hope there is some truth in that Wii Zelda rumour, they really need to think hard and take their time with that one. Some sort of teaser trailer would be nice though. :)
  • ProfessorLesser 25 Mar 2009 21:21:41 19,400 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not really inspired by more Phantom Hourglass-esque Zelda minigames.

I want news of where Metroid is going, tbh.
  • trav 25 Mar 2009 21:23:42 947 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No Sea King Temple. Please for the love of god don't have something similar in this new one. I beg you Nintendo.
  • Goban 25 Mar 2009 21:26:53 9,076 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They'd have to do something pretty spectacular to interest me in a new Zelda game.
  • Kay 25 Mar 2009 21:28:46 17,950 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Not really inspired by more Phantom Hourglass-esque Zelda minigames.

Eh? PH was not a collection of minigames. It wasn't the deepest or most challenging of Zeldas, sure, but it was still pretty great as far as action adventure games go.
  • faux-C 25 Mar 2009 21:41:08 9,516 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A TRAIN!?
  • silentbob 25 Mar 2009 21:47:22 29,025 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh dear.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 25 Mar 2009 22:11:56 10,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    YEY!! More Zelda on the DS is a good thing ^____^
  • Tomo 25 Mar 2009 22:18:13 13,964 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I liked PH until I realised they were going to make me constantly go through the same stages of the same fucking temple over and over again.

Fuck it. And fuck invincible bad guys :/

I still haven't finished it and doubt I ever wil.
  • Genji 25 Mar 2009 23:57:32 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That temple was the best thing about it! :D

And besides, you could unlock shortcuts through it - eve skip entire levels of it. Not hard at all.
  • angeltreats 26 Mar 2009 00:13:20 2,601 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I liked PH until I realised they were going to make me constantly go through the same stages of the same fucking temple over and over again.

This, except I did finish it.

I'll probably buy Spirit Tracks or whatever it ends up being called, complain bitterly about it but still play it to completion and be unable to decide whether I loved it or hated it.
  • psychokitten Moderator 26 Mar 2009 00:18:34 7,794 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomo wrote:

This, absolutely.
    If I'd kept playing I probably would have finished it, but there was about a week when I didn't get a chance to play it, and couldn't face going bad to that bloody temple.

• neilka 26 Mar 2009 00:20:11 16,445 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Poor Link, reduced to injecting vodka into his forearms :(

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• JinTypeNoir 26 Mar 2009 02:55:45 4,392 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh my cute! Link looks sooooo cute in his train clothes. Adorable! ^_^ Especially the part where he's bowing to Zelda.

The music in the trailer seemed really good and inspired, so hopefully that's a sign that the only thing that was below par in Phantom Hourglass has been improved, a Zelda with Hourglass's creativity and better music would be just about perfect.

Also, let's hope there's more construction like the Temple of the Sea King. Don't listen to the complaints Nintendo! You did it just right. (I mean, good god, at the temple's most opened up, it takes less than five minutes to use the short cuts to get where you want to and before that it's a manner of a couple of minutes and seconds. Talk about whiny, the best thing Nintendo ever did was to stop listening to you pansies and your shit ideas about game design.)

The train tracks thing looked pretty involved, so hopefully that's a sign that upgrading the train and exploring the overworld is as compelling as Phantom Hourglass and the enemy manipulation looks like they are taking the same fresh approach to puzzle design. Hourglass had the best puzzles in the series in ages. Stuff like that island where you have to map it and figure out how it relates to the hint were genius. Better yet, there was less of a feel of "Here's the dungeon, here's what you have to do to get inside" and it was like no matter where you went or did, outside or inside the dungeons, there was the same level of puzzle-solving and adventure as a typical dungeon. The non-linear exploration elements were just right too, with always quite a bit to do and never feeling overwhelmed.

It's just the music could have been much better, so here's hoping. Can't wait for this! Ignoring the Wii so the DS can profit is a trend I can get behind! :D
  • itamae 26 Mar 2009 03:06:31 9,893 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mh, that looks like every Zelda game ever (except Majora's Mask, I guess). Not interested.
  • Genji 26 Mar 2009 03:07:52 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Also, let's hope there's more construction like the Temple of the Sea King. Don't listen to the complaints Nintendo! You did it just right. (I mean, good god, at the temple's most opened up, it takes less than five minutes to use the short cuts to get where you want to and before that it's a manner of a couple of minutes and seconds. Talk about whiny, the best thing Nintendo ever did was to stop listening to you pansies and your shit ideas about game design.)
    ^^^

I love you man. :D
  • Kay 26 Mar 2009 10:30:37 17,950 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    That temple was the best thing about it! :D

And besides, you could unlock shortcuts through it - eve skip entire levels of it. Not hard at all.

I concur. It was the one truly challenging element of the game, as the other dungeons were pathetically easy, even by recent Zelda standards. I can see how it may have been annoying and frustrating for some, but it was brilliantly designed and implemented.

Doesn't mean I want to see the same idea again though - it just about worked in PH, but now it's time for something different.
  • DUFFMAN5 26 Mar 2009 10:33:25 15,215 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Switching between PH and GTA at the moment, I'm very impressed with Zelda on the ds, will watch with interest.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• JohnnyWashnGo 26 Mar 2009 10:39:26 1,544 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It'll be good for sure, but I do pine for a new Zelda game in the same vein as Link To The Past :(
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Mar 2009 11:18:45 48,225 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    More stylus control makes me weep tears of bitter frustration. I hated Phantom Hourglass. ;_;
  • Deleted user 26 March 2009 11:32:28
    The stylus controls were great. Rolling was a bit dodgy (yet at the same time completely unnecessary, so no problems), but everything else worked like a dream.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous