What's with all these bands reuniting? Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • warlockuk 18 Mar 2009 01:21:47 19,223 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aye, Sleep'll be a one-off. Don't they owe their former record label cash for the advance they got then smoked/drank or something?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Syrette 18 Mar 2009 01:24:15 44,227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I do hope you're against a Kyuss renunion because of the possible effect it might have had on Queens of the Stone Age?

Clearly the members of these bands have addressed whatever it was that was keeping them apart, but still... seems to be a reunion every other week at the moment. They'll be a new Nirvana without Kurt before too long, and then Chris Cornell will realise his solo music recently is pretty bad and get back together with Soundgarden.

• QotSAfan 18 Mar 2009 18:40:10 1,759 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    I do hope you're against a Kyuss renunion because of the possible effect it might have had on Queens of the Stone Age?

Clearly the members of these bands have addressed whatever it was that was keeping them apart, but still... seems to be a reunion every other week at the moment. They'll be a new Nirvana without Kurt before too long, and then Chris Cornell will realise his solo music recently is pretty bad and get back together with Soundgarden.

That and they would be pissing all over it just for some cash. Still though, wouldnt mind seeing brant bjork on the drums for QotSA or Garcia doing the odd vocal track.

Sleep wanted their second album to be one song and the record basically said well we arent releasing it then. Not sure if they owe the record company any bills for the recording session though.
  • ronuds 18 Mar 2009 18:52:45 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    jonsaan wrote:
    To be fair. Alice in Chains never actually broke up did they?
    I'm not sure, but one of them dying pretty much ended it. In my mind, at least. :)

Yeah, especially seeing as it was one of the singers. If it was just a guitarist or some such, no big deal.
  • Ryze 18 Mar 2009 18:57:59 3,148 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some of them fell out years ago, but their shrinking bank balance has made reconcilliation seem like an easy thing to do now they've grown up. I can imagine that some of these guys have been hurt badly by the recent stock market and general finacial climate.

I'd say that another is royalty cheques. Less CDs being bought equals less money in royalties.

Touring is where the money's at, so that reunion tour is probably a great pension for many of these acts.
  • warlockuk 18 Mar 2009 19:14:57 19,223 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:
    jonsaan wrote:
    I'm not sure, but one of them dying pretty much ended it. In my mind, at least. :)

Yeah, especially seeing as it was one of the singers. If it was just a guitarist or some such, no big deal.
    Depends on the band. If it was Cantrell who died AIC would be dead, too, as it was his playing style that gave AIC most of their sound.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• ronuds 18 Mar 2009 19:31:05 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They complimented each other quite well.
  • Tomo 18 Mar 2009 19:34:42 13,980 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fugees please. Someone make it so.
  • andywilkie35 18 Mar 2009 20:06:46 5,338 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    no doubt are back together. dunno if they "officially" split up when stefani fucked off to do her hollaback shit but they're back

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• warlockuk 18 Mar 2009 20:25:00 19,223 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Fugees please. Someone make it so.
    All in one place. I like your thinking ;)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Syrette 18 Mar 2009 21:07:27 44,227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pretty sure No Doubt were just on hiatus.

• mrpon 19 Mar 2009 12:52:42 29,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:
    jonsaan wrote:

Depends on the band. If it was Cantrell who died AIC would be dead, too, as it was his playing style that gave AIC most of their sound.
    Heard any Mad Season? Got their album but only heard one track so far, quite like it - bit of a supergroup maybe??

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• jonsaan 19 Mar 2009 12:55:12 25,440 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You should also check out My Sister's Machine. Featuring one time AIC guitarist on vox. Some good stuff.

FCUTA!

• mrpon 19 Mar 2009 12:56:42 29,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good shout cheers.

• Tonka 19 Mar 2009 12:57:30 21,353 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They can't make money by sitting on their fat stupid asses anymore. They have to get out and perform.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• MrSensible 19 Mar 2009 12:57:35 25,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't mind them getting back together for some gigs as long as it's the proper members and whatnot. Saw the Sex Pistols in Brixton and it was fookin' brilliant.
  • mrpon 20 Mar 2009 13:54:11 29,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    \o/

• Syrette 26 Mar 2009 19:28:24 44,227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Now Soundgarden have (sort of) reunited too. With Tad Doyle from TAD on vocals.

http://www.spin.com/articles/soundgarden-minus-cornell-play-live-seattle

Three-fourths of Seattle's Soundgarden reunited Tuesday night in their hometown, but without singer Chris Cornell, who is about to begin touring for his Timbaland-produced solo album, Scream. Taking Cornell's place was Tad Doyle, frontman of late, great '90s grungers TAD.

The performance -- which happened during a stop on Tom Morello's Justice Tour, featuring his own band, the Nightwatchman -- marked the first time the three Soundgarden members have shared a stage since the band's breakup in 1997.

With guitarist Kim Thayil, bassist Ben Shepherd, and drummer Matt Cameron behind him at the just-reopened Crocodile Cafe, Doyle screamed through a three-song Soundgarden (or, as many are calling it, "Tadgarden") set, featuring 1994 radio staple "Spoonman," as well as "Hunted Down," off the band's 1987 debut, the Screaming Life EP, and rarity "Nothing to Say," from 1997's greatest-hits collection, A-Sides [Via Seattle Post-Intelligencer].

The massive Doyle even quipped about Cornell's absence, according to Seattle Weekly's Jonathan Cunningham: "Tad lifted his shirt up a few times, jiggled his belly, and said, 'That's half a Cornell right there' with attitude."

The show -- which also featured Mudhoney’s Mark Arm singing "Kick Out the Jams" with Morello and MC5’s Wayne Kramer, and Morello singing "The Ghost of Tom Joad" with Steve Earle -- marks the second time this month that a '90s alt-rock band reunited with a new frontman; the remaining members of Sublime recently performed with a new singer in Nevada, much to the dismay of their fans.

• Syrette 12 Sep 2009 20:20:28 44,227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sublime 'reunion' is still happening.

Of all these reunions, this is the one I am the most uncomfortable with. Brad (singer/guitarist) was such an integral part of who and what they were that it's just not right to continue a band with that name, regardless of how much the replacement sounds like him. It's like Nirvana getting back together with some Cobain soundalike taking over guitar/vocal duties.

• Syrette 4 Nov 2009 17:08:23 44,227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Get in.

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSTRE5A30FZ20091104

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - A Los Angeles judge has shut down an effort by former members of the ska-punk band Sublime to perform under the name.

The preliminary injunction was issued Tuesday in a trademark lawsuit brought by the estate of frontman Bradley Nowell, who died of a drug overdose in 1996.

Surviving band members Eric Wilson and Bud Gaugh have continued to perform. For years they played as the Long Beach Dub Allstars, but recently they revived the Sublime moniker when they recruited newcomer Rome Ramirez as lead vocalist.

That didn't sit well with Nowell's family. Three days before the band's performance at the Cypress Hill Smokeout Festival in southern California on October 24, the Bradley Nowell estate and merchandising entity filed a trademark infringement suit in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles.

"Prior to his untimely passing, both Bud and Eric acknowledged that Brad Nowell was the sole owner of the name Sublime," the Nowell family posted on the band's MySpace page. "It was Brad's expressed intention that no one use the name Sublime in any group that did not include him, and Brad even registered the trademark 'Sublime' under his own name."

Now Judge Howard Matz has agreed with the family, issuing the injunction citing the estate's likelihood of prevailing on its trademark claim. Matz asked the estate's attorneys to draw up a written injunction for him to sign.

"We are gratified the Court ruled in our favor and found that Bud, Eric and Rome could not use the name Sublime without first obtaining permission from Brad's heirs," Nowell's family said in a statement. "We believe this will help protect and preserve Brad's musical legacy."

• RedSparrows 4 Nov 2009 18:09:18 24,248 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why doesn't Chris Cornell go back to SG? :(

/wants to see Let me Drown and Superunknown live, so very, very badly
  • Syrette 1 Jan 2010 14:47:53 44,227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Why doesn't Chris Cornell go back to SG? :(

/wants to see Let me Drown and Superunknown live, so very, very badly

It's your lucky day :)

• thelzdking 3 Jan 2010 15:35:23 4,413 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cap'n Jazz (and maybe Owls) have also reformed. Hopefully they'll come over here at some point.

http://www.indierockreviews.com/2009/12/rumor-capn-jazz-owls-to-reunite/

Crazy.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2010 15:37:20
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    Chris Cornell will realise his solo music recently is pretty bad and get back together with Soundgarden.

What are next week's Lottery numbers?
  • RedSparrows 3 Jan 2010 15:38:29 24,248 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Cap'n Jazz (and maybe Owls) have also reformed. Hopefully they'll come over here at some point.

http://www.indierockreviews.com/2009/12/rumor-capn-jazz-owls-to-reunite/

Crazy.

Heard Owen? so good.
  • Syrette 3 Jan 2010 15:42:05 44,227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    3 8 14 19 34 41 11

• Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:47:24
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next