PlayStation Vita Page 669

• Page

of 903 First / Last

• aros 7 Aug 2013 09:31:50 2,085 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    There probably will be a Vita slim eventually, but not for a few years, and it'll likely be done to reduce manufacturing costs.

Thinking about it - what would people think about a Vita XL? Something with a larger 6 or 7 inch screen? Obviously less portable, but brilliant for gaming on the sofa.
    As long as there was a hard drive I'd upgrade. I'd buy a model that looked exactly the same as long as it had a hard drive. Ideally I would say my wish list would be bigger screen as you describe, on board SSD and bundled 'mystery port' accessory that adds L2/R2/L3/R3 for PS4 remote play.
  • Flying_Pig 7 Aug 2013 09:41:35 10,307 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NeverEatYellowSnow wrote:
    Do you level up every 100 trophies?
    No - it's a sliding scale - i.e. the higher level you achieve the more trophies required to get to the next one. Also Gold Trophies are worth more than Silver and so on...

FWIW I'm lvl 17 and have about 2,500 trophies.
  • imamazed 7 Aug 2013 09:44:09 5,455 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeh the whole trophy thing is just confusing and unsatisfying.

I know they couldn't really, but I wish Sony had just copied achievements exactly.
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2013 09:45:41 56,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    its probably patented up the arsehole which is why we have this weird halfway house that no one really understands or cares about.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Ashleyfiddes 7 Aug 2013 09:46:51 980 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    level 13, 1387 trophies, 1183 of them bronze <<< not a trophy hunter
  • aros 7 Aug 2013 09:47:45 2,085 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How do you check? I'm only level 11 with 0 platinum :(
  • monkman76 7 Aug 2013 09:48:29 3,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think Sony did a reasonable job coming up with something basically the same but different enough. I've never done either, but 'platinuming' a game sounds better than '1000G-ing' it.
  • Ashleyfiddes 7 Aug 2013 09:49:27 980 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    i have playstation app on my phone, if you log in you can check your trophies
  • H1ggyLTD 7 Aug 2013 09:52:13 1,401 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ashleyfiddes wrote:
    i have playstation app on my phone, if you log in you can check your trophies
    I read somewhere that this app will take on much greater importance once the PS4 is out. Will be able to use it to set games up on your way home etc. Bit like Sky Remote, i guess.
  • monkman76 7 Aug 2013 09:54:24 3,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    310 trophies, level 6. /noob
  • Flying_Pig 7 Aug 2013 10:27:51 10,307 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    its probably patented up the arsehole which is why we have this weird halfway house that no one really understands or cares about.
    But is there really any difference - I mean, in multi platform games, the objectives for each Trophy/Achievement are the same?

I'd hardly call Trophies a 'weird halfway house'...
  • aros 7 Aug 2013 10:28:08 2,085 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Level 11, 780 trophies. 665 bronze, 98 silver, 17 gold.

90% of those are Vita, I've only played about 5 games on PS3 so pretty good I think.

edit: I prefer trophies to achievements - yeah you dont get a XXXXG figure to show off but I like the bronze/silver/gold/platinum system. They are essentially exactly the same though, can anyone explain why they are inferior?

It's more satisfying for me getting a silver/gold achievement than a 25g or 50g one because you can't get a gold by just grabbing 10 bronze trophies whereas with achievements they aren't really any different to easy ones.

Just having any system level achievements system is a must have for a system for me now, I don't bother with them hugely but they do add a lot to gaming. No matter the details I am happy as long as it is there.

It would be nice for Sony to offer a 1% - 5% discount on PSN purchases the following month depending on how many trophies you achieved in the previous though. They would have to eat the cost but considering +, you never know. Even if it's selected games only that you get the additional discount on.

I would be happy to have my achievements from all multi plat games on 360 transferred to PS3 trophies though to boost my stats :p

Edited by aros at 10:35:18 07-08-2013
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2013 10:32:44 56,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    But is there really any difference - I mean, in multi platform games, the objectives for each Trophy/Achievement are the same?

Ask any xbl player what achievements are. 100% will be able to explain it.

Ask any PSN player what trophies are. I would be surprised if half of them were able to explain what they are and what they do.

He totally called it

• waggy79 7 Aug 2013 10:33:04 803 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @aros

You're so close to that Guacamelee plat, you can do it!

Edited by waggy79 at 10:33:26 07-08-2013
  • imamazed 7 Aug 2013 10:33:28 5,455 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Yeh the content of the trophies are the same, it's the scoring that's different. With tophies you have just gold silver or bronze. With achievements you can have literally any number up to 1000 (curse you, Orange Box, with your achievements ending in 2) and it all adds up to a neat score, both with the game and with the overall score.

Trophies have the convoluted system of an overall level, stacking of bronzes or whatever, and unflexible scoring. It's a halfway house - the general gist of achievements, but without the clarity and overarching simplicty of them.
  • aros 7 Aug 2013 10:36:48 2,085 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gold and Silver show you have completed more in a much easier way than achievements though. I could play 100 games for 4 hours each and have the same achievements score as someone who played 1 game for 400 hours to 1000G it. I never had the satisfaction during this gen getting a 50g achievement as I do when I get a gold.

It's just for me and I don't focus on them though so maybe other people are right.

Edited by aros at 10:37:56 07-08-2013
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2013 10:38:56 56,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Who cares? And you could have gained all of your silvers from easy games. Its an equally stupid epenis metric.

He totally called it

• imamazed 7 Aug 2013 10:39:10 5,455 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @aros A very quick look at someone's game list on 360 would clarify that instantly. You could get the gist of it in about half the time it takes the ps3 to load the trophy list!
  • aros 7 Aug 2013 10:39:29 2,085 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I do find myself more likely to push through to the end of a game when a gold is in sight now than I did on 360 when i could get the same amount of G just starting a new game.
  • aros 7 Aug 2013 10:40:30 2,085 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Who cares? And you could have gained all of your silvers from easy games. Its an equally stupid epenis metric.
    True - I don't look at other people's scores though and just see it as a fun way to play and challenge myself within my own games. In terms of e-peen I can understand why people prefer achievements.

The only time I'll look at someone elses trophies is when they are in the livearea for a game I'm playing to see how they are doing with the title.

I did look at Uiruki's but that was to marvel at his game list, haha.

imamazed wrote:
    @aros A very quick look at someone's game list on 360 would clarify that instantly. You could get the gist of it in about half the time it takes the ps3 to load the trophy list!
    Ah, fair enough mate. I was just using my admittedly hazy memory of the system as I haven't turned my 360 on this year :-\ One day I'll get around to trying some of the untouched games! lol.

Edited by aros at 10:43:25 07-08-2013
  • uk-kob 7 Aug 2013 10:41:38 126 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I like trophies, as the platinum trophy shows you have mastered a game, with out having to buy the dlc, as you do on xbox to complete the achievement's.
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2013 10:43:17 56,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I prefer acievements because its far, far clearer. At a glance if im sat at 600/1000 points, I know theres still plenty of gameplay left.

On the PS3, after I have navigated a handful of menus and synchronised my trophy information, im still none the wiser.

Mind you, it could be my fault. because it wasnt instantly clear what trophies did, I have never been arsed to try and work them out.

He totally called it

• Derblington 7 Aug 2013 10:44:19 20,987 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They are exactly the same system. Anyone that can explain cheevs but not Trophies is an idiot.

The only addition is the level it awards you, but you don't have to understand how it works exactly to recognise that the more Trophies you earn the higher your level increases.
  • aros 7 Aug 2013 10:44:34 2,085 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You get a % rating - golds are worth a larger % than bronzes etc so you would see 55% and know there's a decent amount of gameplay left. It's basically exactly the same.
  • monkman76 7 Aug 2013 10:44:53 3,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

Ask any xbl player what achievements are. 100% will be able to explain it.
    Actually not true. My 360-owning mate has no idea what they are. Anecdotal sure but you did say 100%.
  • imamazed 7 Aug 2013 10:45:33 5,455 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also, and I'm sure this is just due to familiarity and picking up a ps3 very late, but when I get a trophy I'm kinda like "Oh, OK". But when I get an achievement I get a warm glow inside.

Also, and this is definitely just me, I'm colour blind, and I often find it difficult to distinguish between bronze and gold on the overall list!
  • monkman76 7 Aug 2013 10:47:12 3,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The whole wait-while-it-syncs thing is crap, admittedly.

Edited by monkman76 at 10:47:22 07-08-2013
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2013 10:48:17 56,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    They are exactly the same system. Anyone that can explain cheevs but not Trophies is an idiot.
    Equally, anyone who says 'cheevs' is a helmet.

He totally called it

• imamazed 7 Aug 2013 10:48:23 5,455 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    The whole wait-while-it-syncs thing is crap, admittedly.
    Yeh, definitely. It seems to be a lot better on vita than on ps3 though.
  • Derblington 7 Aug 2013 10:50:35 20,987 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Equally, anyone who says 'cheevs' is a helmet.
    I agree when it's spoken, but for the speed of typing I don't really give a shit.
  • Page

of 903 First / Last