fighting fantasy Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Alastair 24 Oct 2012 15:40:48 15,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You need to read my post again - I didn't finish the gamebook. :) I died at a point that felt to be quite a long way in.
    I met the BBEG (can't remember his name!) and a load of zombies, one threw a grenade at me in the lift and I failed to escape and died.

Not as nice as I used to be

• Moot_Point 25 Oct 2012 10:26:59 3,916 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Aah, that's the furthest i got. I haven't found the flak jacket yet, but i am sure its the key to finishing the story.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Alastair 25 Oct 2012 11:02:42 15,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It would seem so! :)
    When I go through again I think I will map it.
    When i played through Forest of Doom a couple of years ago I came to see that there is only one single route that allows you to complete it. If you fail, then you bascially go back to the beginning again.
    Not sure if it's the case with the other FF books. I think with Warlock you couldn't fail to get through to the end as the divergent paths met back up again, it's just that you might miss some useful stuff along the way.

• Moot_Point 25 Oct 2012 11:06:58 3,916 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, Deathtrap Dungeon had that also (differing paths converging). I am wondering what the next books will be though. Could use a few of these, great for lunch breaks.

================================================================================

• Alastair 25 Oct 2012 11:27:55 15,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The second is confirmed as House of Hell. I wasn't too keen on it the first time, but I will pick it up to try again.

Can't remember if I mentioned in here already, but Tin Man games have done a load of similar games - I bought the first one "GA1 An Assasin in Orlandes". It's pretty good.

• bad09 25 Oct 2012 13:08:57 5,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As Alastair said House OF Hell is confirmed next, should be here next month although Oct/Nov was given as a date before the BOTZ delay so not set in stone.

As for the other two confirmed coming other than the names, as I said on the previous page, they have given clues as to what they are.

Smart money is on Forest Of Doom or more likely Deathtrap Dungeon as the "early Ian Livingstone classic". The other one "a later Steve Jackson that very much broke free of the traditional fantasy genre at the time" could mean anything but most likely suspects are Appointment With F.E.A.R., Robot Commando, Creature Of Havoc, at a stretch Demons Of The Deep with it's underwater setting.
  • Alastair 25 Oct 2012 14:44:17 15,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Either of those early Livingstone ones would be good for me. :)

• Moot_Point 25 Oct 2012 14:47:43 3,916 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Starship Traveller was the first non fantasy FF book written by Steve Jackson, but i think originally it was the fifth in the series (so maybe too early if what you said is true). I will be a happy man indeed if Deathtrap Dungeon comes out, because i played that a lot back in the day.

Not sure if i want another horror FF book so soon, but will no doubt buy House of Hell anyway.

• Alastair 26 Oct 2012 06:52:21 15,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    From memory it was:
    1 - Warlock
    2 - Citadel of Chaos
    3 - Forest of Doom
    4 - Starship Traveller
    5 - City of Thieves
    6 - Deathtrap Dungeon
    7 - Island of Lizard King
    8 - Scorpion Swamp?
    9 - ???
    10 - House of Hell

• Moot_Point 26 Oct 2012 17:13:52 3,916 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh yes you're right, Starship Traveller was the fourth. Caverns of the Snow Witch was number nine.

• Alastair 26 Oct 2012 17:22:05 15,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I kind of lost interest after Scorpion Swamp. Moved onto the Sorcery books and then onto D&D.
    I did like Freeway Fighter though.

• Moot_Point 26 Oct 2012 19:02:40 3,916 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well once the sorcery books came out, i was also hooked on those as well. I even bought the spell book iirc. Looking through the list, i got up to 28-30 (somewhere around there) before switching to the Lone Wolf series.

• bad09 26 Oct 2012 20:57:04 5,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was always FF, never tried the others but had all FF up to a very late point and looking at the lists these days (and playing a new one) is a wonderful journey back to a childhood I'd kinda forgot. Not sure where I stopped but remember most of them except of one or two.

In good deed mode I gave them all away to someone I can't now remember at some point years ago as a teen (FOOL!). Oh well, I hope they enjoyed 'em whoever they were :)

Tinman keep making these things and flogging 'em for 4 quid I'll buy everyone again, hope BOTZ is doing well for them.
  • Feanor 26 Oct 2012 21:56:10 14,055 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Oh yes you're right, Starship Traveller was the fourth. Caverns of the Snow Witch was number nine.
    I remember thinking it was hilarious to call it Caverns of the Snow Bitch back when I was 11.
  • Moot_Point 12 Nov 2012 17:08:54 3,916 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So when is the next book up on iStore? Any news yet?

Edited by Moot_Point at 17:36:25 12-11-2012

• Moot_Point 13 Nov 2012 23:25:42 3,916 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Looks like House of Hell is next, before Christmas. Here.

And the article goes on to say,

On the Fighting Fantasy front, you may have seen our follow-up gamebooks were name-dropped by Ian Livingstone in an interview with Pocket Gamer: Forest of Doom and Appointment with F.E.A.R! We’ll be developing them early next year!
    So Forest of Doom will be with us next year. Apart from Forest of Doom, its a shame most of the other titles are horror based. Would love to see the fantasy books converted to this format. I had high hopes for Deathtrap Dungeon, but hey-ho.

Edited by Moot_Point at 23:26:02 13-11-2012

• Alastair 14 Nov 2012 08:34:38 15,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Your previous link showed Shamutanti Hills coming out on iStore. What hopes that it will come to Android too. I would *love* to see the Sorcery series on Android.

• quadfather 14 Nov 2012 09:35:38 11,831 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    I was always FF, never tried the others but had all FF up to a very late point and looking at the lists these days (and playing a new one) is a wonderful journey back to a childhood I'd kinda forgot. Not sure where I stopped but remember most of them except of one or two.

In good deed mode I gave them all away to someone I can't now remember at some point years ago as a teen (FOOL!). Oh well, I hope they enjoyed 'em whoever they were :)

Tinman keep making these things and flogging 'em for 4 quid I'll buy everyone again, hope BOTZ is doing well for them.
    Done the same!

I help to run an indoor car boot and I eventually decided to take a lot of my old ff books down there. (FOOL!) I've kept the really early ones though (1-15 or so) and a couple of the later ones that I liked - beneath nightmare castle, trial of champions, dead of night (fking awesome) etc. But the main stuff has gone now.

I still see them at the car boot and occasionally snaffle them back, one by one :-)

Still got botz in my work bag, and as soon as I've finished the book I'm on, I'm going for it.

Good news on house of hell too - one of my favs

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 14 Nov 2012 12:21:09 11,831 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Actually, I wouldn't mind checking out the android version of botz - would you recommend it on an htc sensation, or do you think it's too small a device?

• warlockuk 14 Nov 2012 12:24:55 19,133 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has someone actually made an interactive FF book on Android yet, then? I'm kinda tempted with making one myself in my downtime when I'm bored. 3D dice rolls! \o/

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Alastair 14 Nov 2012 12:34:59 15,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Has someone actually made an interactive FF book on Android yet, then? I'm kinda tempted with making one myself in my downtime when I'm bored. 3D dice rolls! \o/
    Check out Blood of the Zombies. It's a new FF book and also Android app.

• quadfather 14 Nov 2012 12:36:31 11,831 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    yup - it's here - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.tinmangames.ff.botz.android&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImF1LmNvbS50aW5tYW5nYW1lcy5mZi5ib3R6LmFuZHJvaWQiXQ.. I'm mulling over it on my sensation phone, but not sure if it's got a big enough display

• warlockuk 14 Nov 2012 12:42:33 19,133 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Interesting. I wonder if it has a do over/undo/finger in page mode :p

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Alastair 14 Nov 2012 13:03:19 15,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It does indeed.

• Alastair 14 Nov 2012 13:04:42 15,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My one criticism, if it can be called that, is that there's no map. I know the books don't have one either, but it might have been a nice touch..
    When I get round to playing through again I will have to sketch out a map so I know where I've been and get an idea of how far through I've got...

• Moot_Point 14 Nov 2012 15:09:24 3,916 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Your previous link showed Shamutanti Hills coming out on iStore. What hopes that it will come to Android too. I would *love* to see the Sorcery series on Android.
    Yeah it did, but that was posted down to excitement. But the information was 2010, which I failed to notice. Also, its not on iStore and maybe never was?

I did send a message to Tin Man on their website I linked earlier, asking if they were considering bringing the Sorcery series of books to the iStore.

• Moot_Point 14 Nov 2012 15:13:38 3,916 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just checked my e-mails and got an answer!

Hi Moot,

Thanks for contacting us! You'll be happy to know that Deathtrap Dungeon will be coming next year!

Cheers,

Neil

What a lovely B'day e-mail! \o/

Ed: No mention of the Sorcery series though.

Edited by Moot_Point at 15:14:31 14-11-2012

• quadfather 14 Nov 2012 15:16:16 11,831 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good news for DD tho!, yay!

• Moot_Point 14 Nov 2012 15:18:53 3,916 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DD was my favourite FF book of them all. So yes, definitely happy it's on its way. :)

• Moot_Point 14 Nov 2012 15:23:26 3,916 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh look. SORCERY IS DEFINITELY NEXT YEAR! W00T!!

• Page

of 5 First / Last