Limmy's Show Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• uiruki 6 Dec 2011 02:10:15 3,766 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree - but Connell and Florence are very much part of the Scottish comedy "canon," with multiple series under their belt. Your average commissioning editor isn't going to take as many chances on new performers, even with episodes already in the can, and it looks like Gary: Tank Commander got the nod instead of Limmy this time round.
  • dufftownallan 6 Dec 2011 18:59:14 4,725 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mal wrote:
    I found Burnistown to be distinctly BBC three-standard sketch show done in a Scottish accent. Certainly not a patch on Limmy.
    i disagree with your assessment there, it's not perfect and there are some duff sketches but there is a lot of intelligent comedy in there as well and doesn't pander or 'dumb-down' to the audience in the way a bbc3 show does.
  • mal 6 Dec 2011 19:23:51 22,847 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can agree with that - Burnistown is not all bad, although I think we'll have a hard time agreeing on the ratio of good to bad in that show. You didn't say whether you prefer it to Limmy's show. In case you weren't aware, they show Burnistown on BBC England, but they don't show Limmy.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• dufftownallan 6 Dec 2011 20:50:02 4,725 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ach, don't get me wrong, they are a bit hit and miss, although i probably enjoyed more of the sketches than you did! there are some absolute classics there as well tho, particularly the talking lift, the dee road roundabout and the throwing the ginger bottle at a ned sketches.

not trying to be diplomatic but i don't have a preference, i enjoy both equally and see them as two different entities. limmy absolutely deserves a third series; i think he handled the "difficult second album" brilliantly because the tone of the show changed but the quality arguably improved. he has a brilliant way of splicing comedy with intelligent observation and i also like the way he challenges some of societies idiocracies like in the sketch where he thinks cancer has been cured seeing as no-one wears those yellow wrist bands anymore; "surely it wasn't just some sort of fashion fad".

limmys show is better imo, but burnistoun is right up there as well, glad it's getting an airing outside scotland!

now i just wish they would bring back 'the high life'...
  • uiruki 6 Dec 2011 21:01:58 3,766 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the number of characters that Limmy slung out for the second series is exactly the reason why it was so good. For someone who is so new to TV, his ability to get rid of things *before* they get tired is rare and brave. He has definitely developed "Limmy" as a character, too, both on and off the TV - the time when he managed to get Conservative Home riled up on Twitter is one of the funniest things I've seen on there.

As for the Burnistoun lot? Well, I'm really looking forward to what Rab Florence is going to do with his new games related videos on the Internet next year, and I enjoy reading his stuff on RPS.

Either way, it doesn't matter which series you prefer, I think it's easy to agree that they both deserve success outside of Scotland. They bring a different type of humour to British TV comedy, one which is (IMO) currently under-represented in spite of the reputation of UK comedy.
  • thedaveeyres 6 Dec 2011 21:05:55 11,607 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Limmy is the king of twitter. Easily the best thing on there.

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Tom_Servo 25 Nov 2012 22:32:28 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Episode three tomorrow night.

Thought the first episode of this series was okaaaay, but that the second was brilliant. The first had a fair few misses (the shop assistant sketches were brutal, and I didn't enjoy Dee Dee, Jacqueline or the park ones), but the second really didn't. The only thing was that there were too many Party Chat sketches, but they were all funny in isolation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7CCw946ZjM

Amazing.
  • Lukus 25 Nov 2012 22:36:29 19,494 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's still great.

Paintings & Photographs

• Tom_Servo 25 Nov 2012 22:40:47 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also brilliant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jpVyGv-SAg

"I'm up there... feedin' it"
  • Tom_Servo 25 Nov 2012 22:51:29 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A belter from the first episode you won't want to miss
  • Lukus 25 Nov 2012 22:57:16 19,494 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "What's your hing? ; ) "

Paintings & Photographs

• Tom_Servo 25 Nov 2012 22:57:48 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The look on the shopkeeper's face at the CCTV suggestion.
  • Tom_Servo 3 Dec 2012 22:33:14 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Holy shit, that was AMAZING.
  • Tom_Servo 3 Dec 2012 22:40:20 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I didn't like the third episode apart from the Dream Scheme thing. The one just on (the 'live' episode) was complete genius, IMO.
  • jonsaan 3 Dec 2012 22:41:25 25,449 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought this was a Kiwi's thread about Motorhead.

FCUTA!

• Lukus 4 Dec 2012 14:36:16 19,494 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    i find this to be ten times more miss than hit.

the structure is off, 90% of the stuff has no 'punchline' - some random shit just ends, and you're like... WTF?!

burnistown was better, i enjoyed much more of it, but it suffered from the same problem - just not as badly.

think the bbc are trying to find the next chewin the fat/still game, and sign up any old pish :eek:
    I hate to be 'that' guy, but this is genuinely a case of you 'not getting it'.

Paintings & Photographs

• opalw00t 4 Dec 2012 15:28:38 11,308 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I took about half an episode until it clicked for me and I'm finding it really good now. Shame it's only on Scotland - so many people won't find out about it.

not a force for good

• Lukus 4 Dec 2012 15:40:35 19,494 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    not it's not, it's just crap.

and i love stupid random sketches. JOLLY BOY JOHN!!

but there are good ones and poors ones.

these are generally poor.
    If you're searching for punchlines and some kind of closure, in the conventional sense, you're watching the wrong show.

Paintings & Photographs

• CannonAnBall 4 Dec 2012 17:04:40 751 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've watched a few shows now. Not my cup of tea but I can understand why people like it. Got a couple of laughs but that's it.

Not enough sketch shows around in my opinion which is why I think Limmy is doing well.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last