People who say "Central Tenant" instead of "Central Tenet" make me want to punch Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• sam_spade 15 Feb 2009 08:23:40 15,745 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Inflammable!

/flame on
  • cubbymoore 15 Feb 2009 08:29:57 36,507 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I brought this jacket yesterday.

You brought it again today I see.
  • jonsaan 15 Feb 2009 08:32:16 25,440 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    'Mother of christ, this is probably the most anger inducing thing I know.'

You don't get out much then?

FCUTA!

• Spectral 15 Feb 2009 08:33:54 5,021 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not noticed it much other than with old people but it really annoys me when people use learned instead of taught. An example was an old woman talking about her dog and she said " I learned him how to do it".
  • haydnallbutt 16 Jul 2012 06:34:13 1 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Red-Moose

I know this post is waaaaaay old, but since it is still out there on the net, it may be taken as a source of information by some so I wanted to clear up a slight inaccuracy.

Red-Moose is quite correct that if an individual is trying to describe a belief they hold, they would describe it as their tenet. And yes it is from the Latin word which means "he holds". But it is also correct to describe the belief system of a group of people or an organisation (being made up of a group of people) as a tenent.

Note the spelling is tenent, not tenant. Tenent is the 3rd person plural of the word meaning "they hold" and so, so long as the subject being refered to by the term is a group of people then it is fine to use this word and so Red-Moose could probably crank it down a notch or two and simply go off at people for spelling tenent incorrectly (ie with an "a" instead of a second "e" ) rather than for using a word which they have every right to do and which there are references to people using as early as the mid 1500's.

Edited by haydnallbutt at 06:34:35 16-07-2012
  • Deleted user 16 July 2012 06:38:32
    Psychotext wrote:
    People in this thread make me feel well rounded and rational in comparison. Thank you. :D
    Still as true today as it ever was :)
  • jonsaan 16 Jul 2012 07:19:36 25,440 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That David Tenet is good as Doctor Who eh?

FCUTA!

• speedofthepuma 16 Jul 2012 08:21:06 13,320 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    haydnallbutt wrote:
    @Red-Moose

I know this post is waaaaaay old, but since it is still out there on the net, it may be taken as a source of information by some so I wanted to clear up a slight inaccuracy.

Red-Moose is quite correct that if an individual is trying to describe a belief they hold, they would describe it as their tenet. And yes it is from the Latin word which means "he holds". But it is also correct to describe the belief system of a group of people or an organisation (being made up of a group of people) as a tenent.

Note the spelling is tenent, not tenant. Tenent is the 3rd person plural of the word meaning "they hold" and so, so long as the subject being refered to by the term is a group of people then it is fine to use this word and so Red-Moose could probably crank it down a notch or two and simply go off at people for spelling tenent incorrectly (ie with an "a" instead of a second "e" ) rather than for using a word which they have every right to do and which there are references to people using as early as the mid 1500's.
    You joined the forum, just to correct a slight grammatical point from 3 years ago?

You're my hero mysterious man.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 16 Jul 2012 08:32:17 39,790 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    God bless the Internet. I love this kind of thing :)

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Salaman 16 Jul 2012 08:49:45 19,621 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    haydnallbutt wrote:
    @Red-Moose

Brilliant! :-)
    So can we assume you're a real life friend, acquaintance or colleague of Red Moose and you decided to come here to make a point. Well 2 points.
    1) stop whinging about my use of tenent
    2) I know you're on EG and I know your username, beware!
  • elstoof 16 Jul 2012 08:49:59 8,321 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Red Moose got Wikipediad! BURN!
  • warlockuk 16 Jul 2012 09:48:28 19,223 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not so much a burn... more of a chafing.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• sirtacos 16 Jul 2012 10:30:15 7,378 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Irregardless, you should chillax, because for all intensive purposes, it's a slippy slope of rage you're on if you want to punch people for using a malapropism. Don't you have a conscious?
  • sirtacos 16 Jul 2012 10:30:57 7,378 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • chopsen 16 Jul 2012 10:42:08 16,290 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "Projectile vomiting"

All vomit is a projectile by definition you spanner. "Projectile vomiting" is a technical term to describe a type of vomiting I know for a fact you don't have.

Acute/chronic

People use either one of these all the time when they just mean "bad." Neither one means that and they are not interchangeable.
  • Rusty_M 16 Jul 2012 10:53:27 4,944 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh common now everyone. We're better then that.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• Deleted user 16 July 2012 11:21:58
    This thread is addicting
  • Rusty_M 16 Jul 2012 11:22:52 4,944 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a bit of a damp squid, really.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• Deleted user 16 July 2012 11:28:02
    These types of angry threads just go to show how worthless and pitifull some lives are to get worked up by shit like this.
  • ModishNouns 16 Jul 2012 12:38:31 4,664 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    These types of angry threads just go to show how worthless and pitifull some lives are to get worked up by shit like this.
    "This type of..." or "Threads like these...".

"Pitifull" is just spelled incorrectly and I think that has its own thread.
  • silentbob 16 Jul 2012 12:41:17 29,028 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone who suffixes words with 'dot com' deserves to die in a fire.

i.e. "I'm really confused dot com!". FUCK OFF!

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• silentbob 16 Jul 2012 12:42:52 29,028 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    As opposed to merely commenting on the worthlessness, which is altogether more worthwhile and constructive.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• sirtacos 16 Jul 2012 12:47:06 7,378 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    "I'm really confused dot com!"
    Who has ever said this and why are they still alive?
  • MetalDog 16 Jul 2012 12:47:48 23,920 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Acute/chronic

People use either one of these all the time when they just mean "bad." Neither one means that and they are not interchangeable.
    When I was a kid, I thought 'acute' was two words and meant there was nothing to worry about.
    Don't panic kids, Grandpa's only had a cute heart attack. he'll be fine.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• ModishNouns 16 Jul 2012 12:48:29 4,664 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    As opposed to merely commenting on the worthlessness, which is altogether more worthwhile and constructive.
    Sh'yeah, that's like SO meta XD
  • jellyhead 16 Jul 2012 12:53:38 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I used to be a Pedant/Grammar Nazi too but now, seeing how annoyed some of my friends get, these things just amuse me greatly. I am a horrible person :)

They do annoy some people alot though ;)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• RedSparrows 16 Jul 2012 13:07:17 24,258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    haydnallbutt wrote:
    @Red-Moose

Are you my boss?!
  • cjb_bjc 16 Jul 2012 13:12:41 1,164 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cholera me impressed!
  • Page

of 4 First / Last