The Daily Fail fails again! Page 70

• Page

of 85 First / Last

• Duffking 5 Sep 2012 13:15:59 7,337 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're at it again!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2198549/Callum-Green-14-hanged-bunk-bed-playing-Call-Duty.html
  • kalel 5 Sep 2012 13:48:24 88,346 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Then is genuinely one of the worst pieces of journalism I've ever seen.
  • RabidChild 5 Sep 2012 13:57:59 2,292 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Our network admin has blocked the fail's site (someone claims to have got a virus from it, though it might just be that he agrees that it's a hateful piece of shit and he's decided to censor it). What's the jist? Kid re-enacts COD and hangs himself? Is that what happens in COD now?
  • glaeken 5 Sep 2012 14:08:24 11,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's kind of funny reading that peace just keeping a count of the stupid statements.

Outside of the Dailey mail fuck wittery I did find the coroners remark below about playing computer games funny.

Why quite frankly anybody would want to be playing them, I don’t know
    It’s just such a narrow minded thing to say that does not take into account the concept that people have different tastes. I could say the exact same statement about golf but would have the self-awareness to realise it’s just from my perspective. You would kind of hope a coroner would be a little more self-aware.

Edited by glaeken at 14:09:28 05-09-2012
  • sport 5 Sep 2012 14:19:15 12,775 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Golf won't kill you glaeken!!!
  • glaeken 5 Sep 2012 14:29:56 11,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am not afraid of it killing me. Boring me is the main fear. Hitting a small ball around a large field for a couple of hours is not for me.
  • President_Weasel 5 Sep 2012 15:15:02 9,450 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I am not afraid of it killing me. Boring me is the main fear. Hitting a small ball around a large field for a couple of hours is not for me.
    More people are killed playing golf every year than playing video games.

(I have no proof of this, so it belongs in the Daily Mail thread. However, I do have sensible reasons for thinking it might be true, so maybe it doesn't belong here at all)
  • kalel 5 Sep 2012 16:12:52 88,346 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The logic is basically - man's wife leaves him, man loses job, man plays a round of golf, man kills himself - GOLF KILLED MAN!!
  • Youthist 5 Sep 2012 16:22:50 10,027 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love the photo of his mum they decided to use.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• the_dudefather 5 Sep 2012 16:24:59 9,322 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The logic is basically - man's wife leaves him, man loses job, man plays a round of golf, man kills himself - GOLF KILLED MAN!!
    'The Coroner for the case stated that he personally didn't really understand the appeal of golf, but quite likes a game of Crazy golf while on holiday'

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• DaM 5 Sep 2012 16:25:18 13,326 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think they have missed the culprit - "had argued with his younger sister when she returned that afternoon about making a sandwich."
    Sandwiches, I always thought they were dodgy.

Does EA or whoever publishes COD not have a legal claim against such pieces? Clearly defaming their product, it is not their fault an underage boy was playing it (not that it had anything to do with it).
  • heyyo 5 Sep 2012 16:28:20 14,372 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Exactly, I skipped through the article this morning - thought what the hell has MW got to do with this then?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Sep 2012 17:26:19 38,634 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ban ties. They're what actually killed him. And beds.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Flightrisker 5 Sep 2012 18:07:44 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It like they had a nervous tick and just have to blame videogames in some way. In the article itself it's pretty clear that that was nowt to do with it apart from perhaps some questions around parenting. But the still have to bring Brevik into it because of the most tenuous of links.

I mean when it's someone killing people after playing a game where you kill people I can see how the mind of these journos work but this is just a tragic incident.

Now if he'd been playing hangman...
  • the_dudefather 11 Sep 2012 13:02:33 9,322 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Dougs 1 Oct 2012 12:30:58 68,375 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Outstanding work:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/why-the-daily-mail-got-it-so-wrong-over-megan-stammers-8191198.html
  • Destria 1 Oct 2012 12:59:23 2,836 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hrm. Have they taken that article down? I'm getting 404s, and can't find it linked on the site.
  • Dougs 1 Oct 2012 13:00:59 68,375 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So they have. Interesting. Luckily I still have the page open:

A quick hypothetical for you.

You're exchanging small talk with an acquaintance. After exhausting the weather, work and your respective families, they mention that a friend of theirs, known vaguely to you, has recently been critically injured in a car accident. They may never walk again. “How terrible!”, you say, but they don't stop there. Instead of moving on to the next subject, they reach into their coat and pull out a folder.

Inside the folder is a set of large, glossy, high-resolution photos, each illustrating their friend's injuries in graphic detail. As the images keep coming, your interlocutor keeps up a running commentary, revealing all kinds of details about the victim's personal life. You begin to think you detect a gleam of voyeuristic savagery in their eye. You begin to think, in fact, that they might not be as sorry as they're letting on. Just as you're about to make your excuses and leave, they compound the offence by explaining that, you see, it wasn't really the driver's fault. He was in a hurry for a very good reason.

The lead story on the Daily Mail website, as of 12:40pm on September 29, was headlined as follows: "The wife he betrayed: Months after their fairytale wedding, this husband was hand in hand with Megan, his besotted pupil of 14"

The Mail must be congratulated for finding a new angle on the Megan Stammers case, if for nothing else. We are told that Emily Forrest, wife of the disgraced teacher, has “maintained a dignified silence” since the story broke. Not very good copy. By happy chance, however, she has neglected to change her social media settings – possibly there was something else on her mind – so the Mail decided to do some digging.

Illustrated throughout by pictures of the Forrests' idyllic wedding and seemingly-idyllic married life, we get endless, inexcusable detail. We learn how excited she was to be marrying the man she loved, the fun she had planning the wedding, the future romantic holidays she planned for the two of them. This is naturally framed as “this poor woman”, but the pose is transparent. A publication that actually respected Emily Forrest's pain would express it by, let's say, not parading her humiliation across dozens of column inches in minute detail.

If only that were all. Having made a lurid spectacle of the most blameless player in the whole affair, the article proceeds to exculpate Jeremy Forrest himself. Referring to his relationship with Stammers as a “complicated romance”, it reproduces tweets from both of them, lamenting their predicament before the infamous flight to France. These combine to give the impression of nothing more sinister than a star-crossed affair. Quotes are even produced from Forrest's former pupils, noting what a good and popular teacher he was.

Bleeding hearts like me long learned to tolerate the existence of the Daily Mail. After a time, you become anaesthetised to its toxic mixture of prurience and reaction; a bitter old celibate spying on his neighbours, the better to catch them in the act. Just occasionally, though, they still manage to shock. One recent example was the blog entry – hastily amended once it caught the attention of Twitter – calling for the rehabilitation of the phrase “Arbeit Macht Frei”.

That was merely barking mad. This, I feel, is something worse. There can be no confusion here: Jeremy Forrest has betrayed the trust placed in him in the most appalling possible way. Adolescence is a time of grand, operatic emotion, where every crush is the love of your life and every setback the end of the world. Perspective and good judgement come later, with adulthood and hard-won experience. Receiving amorous overtures from a pupil is a hazard familiar to any number of teachers. The vast majority have the good sense to set rigid boundaries, for the child's protection and their own.

Forrest failed this test and has now destroyed his own life, his wife's and, above all, that of his victim – for that is what she is. The Mail has taken this as an occasion to yet again remind us why it deserves the contempt of all thinking people.
  • mrpon 1 Oct 2012 13:07:45 29,183 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or cached version here.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• spamdangled 1 Oct 2012 13:19:33 27,410 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Destria wrote:
    Hrm. Have they taken that article down? I'm getting 404s, and can't find it linked on the site.
    I wonder if Paul Dacre got the lawyers on the blower.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• ecu 8 Oct 2012 12:41:57 77,014 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://i.imgur.com/ecG29.jpg
  • the_dudefather 8 Oct 2012 12:51:50 9,322 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    The way the DM talk about underage girls as 'beyond their years' or 'all grown up' is really really creepy. Especially this one

'Sure she's not 18 yet but COR RUMMY right lads?'

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• DaM 8 Oct 2012 13:01:42 13,326 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    The way the DM talk about underage girls as 'beyond their years' or 'all grown up' is really really creepy. Especially this one

'Sure she's not 18 yet but COR RUMMY right lads?'
    She's not even 5 in that one!
  • RedSparrows 8 Oct 2012 13:33:06 23,240 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, they're creepy bastards/hypochondriac hysterics by various, random turns.
  • Rusty_M 8 Oct 2012 21:31:58 4,758 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do we really? And if so, I have to wonder how that compares to the rest of the UK.

The tone of that article (and the comments) paints Scotland as 90% living on benefits.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• FWB 8 Oct 2012 22:00:19 44,833 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well they are, aren't they?

I don't know why people get rage over the DM. It's what the live for. They know exactly what they're doing with their vile articles and blatant hypocrisy. Complaining about it just feeds them.
  • RobTheBuilder 9 Oct 2012 01:02:11 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Daily Mail do it deliberately to offend people with sense and get publicity. They know their toilet paper has no use as an actual source of news so they have turned into the journalistic equivalent of a gossip twitter account, foaming rage and sex in order to look like they have something to say other than Zieg Heil.

I once nearly got punched by a girl I just met because of the face I pulled when she talked about something she read in the Mail...
  • spamdangled 26 Oct 2012 13:25:39 27,410 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This one might be worth bookmarking - the DM now have a dedicated Corrections column on their website.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/article-2220812/Corrections-clarifications.html

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Lamb 27 Oct 2012 19:41:21 474 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok this looks like its entertaining and thats what a circus has got to do.
    I don't understand the backlash in the comments. Its as if one individual
    decided the amount of clicks based on their view to peer pressure people to their way of thinking.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2223999/Pictured-The-shocking-images-bears-forced-skip-perform-balancing-acts-acrobatic-festival-China.html
  • Psychotext 10 Nov 2012 13:11:30 54,391 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Precisely why the Daily Fail is irredeemable shit
  • Page

of 85 First / Last