Self-imposed ban on buying more games Page 2

• Page

of 48 First / Last

• Cappy 19 Jan 2009 16:31:42 11,704 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    But we've not seen anything of the next-gen consoles so far. Shouldn't you blame the current gen? ;-)

That's how the excuse started off so I'll continue to blame 'next-gen'.

"But... But... Next-gen games are so expensive. We can't take risks or make them even remotely interesting. It's too risky!"
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 19 Jan 2009 16:32:59 1,875 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I'd love to join you on this, but Killzone 2, Street Figher 4, Halo Wars and Resi 5, all out by mid-March, will break me. So I'm happy just knowing my weakness.

Fortunately for my wallet I'm not really too bothered about any of them, apart from possibly Halo Wars (which I'll try to blag at work anyway)! Empire: Total War and Halo: ODST are the biggies for me this year, and Empire can wait till it's twenty quid as I'm still very happy with Medieval.

I am hoping for HL2: Ep 3 this Xmas, and some big un-announced games around winter-time.
  • dr_swin 19 Jan 2009 16:40:03 4,824 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was my new years resolution not to buy any games that I didn't think stood a realistic chance of being played. Part of this process was devising a playlist and trying to stick to it.
  • Carlo 19 Jan 2009 16:57:31 17,913 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    I just bought a 360 from Zavvi. Too much of a bargain to walk away. I had this inner battle on the shop floor. Reason lost:)
    Me too! I'm going through the BEST of the 360 from the past 2.5 years, and only buying them second hand for other forumites when possible.

Saving a FORTUNE, and there are a LOT of games... Currently on the verge of finishing Fable 2 (now it's patched and I can finish it), GoW (1), and started Crackdown.

Someone also recommended Lost Odysee?

I done a similar thing with my PS3 pre-Christmas as some mates were taking the piss saying I buy games and never finish them. I went through my collection of partially played games and polished them all off, then celebrated by getting that juggernaunt Fallout 3.

PSN ID: Djini

• Derblington 19 Jan 2009 17:01:25 20,972 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am making an effort to finish off old games, while still playing new stuff. Trying to clear (as in 1k GP, or at least all the SP stuff) around 5 old games a month, while enjoying whatever recent that I have.
  • uglygamer 19 Jan 2009 17:03:47 11,792 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like to have a few games at a time to play. At the moment I have Gran Turismo, Fifa, and Burnout to play. Also just bought Ratchet and Clank. Dont intend to get another for a long time
  • sanctusmortis 19 Jan 2009 17:17:19 9,590 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Need to do more B-K, get the wife to start TRU, and finish that copy of PoP I borrowed (which so far has lacked challenge beyond wrestling with the awful controls).
  • BartonFink 19 Jan 2009 17:19:55 34,777 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been doing this since before Christmas.
    Mainly to clear my backlog of games
  • mobeus 19 Jan 2009 18:14:10 84 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Been trying to do this for the last 2 years now!! Tried last year and failed on the 6th Jan. Tried this year and got to Jan 18th!!!

Got 5 games from chrimbo still in the wrapper!

I know I can't resist getting new games, but I have said this year instead of spending loads of cash, I will have to sacrifice games in my drawer to get new ones. So yesterday I sacrificed:

COD2 (completed)
    COD3
    COD5
    Dead Space (completed)

for Skate, Left 4 Dead and a nice credit note towards Skate 2.

Good luck to all of you going for the total ban though!
  • MrE26 19 Jan 2009 18:29:08 1,906 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just can't do it. I've still got games from a year ago that i'm yet to finish, but i keep on buying. I'm limiting myself to Riddick, Resi 5, SFIV & Killzone 2 for the next 6 months though. Swapgame membership is something else i'm thinking about.
  • Tomo 19 Jan 2009 18:32:13 13,841 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm actually doing alright. Got a healthy selection of games to play, although L4D is taking up all my time at the moment. The only game I can actually see myself buying between now and April is probably Resident Evil 5 which will be bought instantly.

I'd love to play Killzone 2 but alas I don't have a PS3.
  • Lexx87 19 Jan 2009 18:35:45 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm doing the same...got well enough to keep my occupied! Gears 2 (multiplayer), Dead Space, Fallout 3...not to mention a billion XBLA games I still have progress/achievments to get.

Speak the truth hussy!

• _Price_ 19 Jan 2009 18:38:05 3,071 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be fair I'm not doing this properly. I've got so many PS2/Xbox titles that I nabbed for a couple of quid that I'd need to skip this gen entirely to get through them, especially considering the sheer quantity of top-class RPGs gathering dust.

So, fresh start for the 360 it is.
  • merkdot 19 Jan 2009 18:43:48 1,836 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I gave up buying the latest games a long time ago. I don't play online anyway.

I have x hours per month and y games on my shelf, with z games I will buy once they become cheap.

By my estimate,

x/(y+z) = the year 2013

edit, where z only equals announced games and games already out that I haven't bought yet.
  • creepylizard 19 Jan 2009 19:43:00 786 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    why not just buy a game finsh it. buy a game. finish it. thats what I've usually done. but then I don't try to make time for other things...but I don't think anyone can ever be that busy..
  • LawrenceArms 19 Jan 2009 20:06:18 1,475 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No offence guys, but I've never seen the majority of you in the Swapsies Thread. Too proud are we?

Join us! :D
  • el_pollo_diablo 19 Jan 2009 20:09:26 2,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Over the past 2 weeks I've polished off a bunch of games that I'd started but never finished:

Bioshock
    Half Life 2: Episode 2
    Mirror's Edge
    and, er, Quantum of Solace

Now all I have to do is drag myself back and finish GTA4.

• Tomo 19 Jan 2009 20:21:54 13,841 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I used to wheel and deal in the swapsies thread ages ago - used to reside there all the time, but after the forum reshuffle I fell out of love with it. It's back to the oldskool now too, which is great, but I just can't muster going in there for some reason :s
  • Flying_Pig 19 Jan 2009 20:54:35 10,278 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LawrenceArms wrote:
    No offence guys, but I've never seen the majority of you in the Swapsies Thread. Too proud are we?

Ahem
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Murbal wrote:
    malteaserhead wrote:
    Swaps are ok
    Swaps are ok

+1
    +1

Agreed. Swaps don't really count as new games.

:)
  • Anthony_UK 19 Jan 2009 20:57:50 2,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Impossible, even at 27 years of age, if I don't buy a new game on the day or weekend of release I feel dirty inside.....:-(

It's totally stupid I know, but I really can't help it!

• LawrenceArms 20 Jan 2009 07:47:12 1,475 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    LawrenceArms wrote:

Ahem
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Murbal wrote:
    malteaserhead wrote:
    Swaps are ok
    Swaps are ok

+1
    +1

Agreed. Swaps don't really count as new games.

:)

Errr? Are you reading something I typed in invisible ink here, because I don't recall saying anything about swaps not being ok, I SAID I hadn't seen many in the Swapsies Thread.....
  • Zomoniac 20 Jan 2009 09:00:51 7,402 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I imposed this ban on myself at new year. Since then I've bought 12 new games. Oops.
  • warlockuk 20 Jan 2009 09:17:58 19,101 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fight the system! :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Flying_Pig 20 Jan 2009 09:32:36 10,278 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @LawrenceArms: Whoops, I read that you were chastising us for being in the swapsies thread!
  • kinky_mong 20 Jan 2009 10:20:49 9,607 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm trying to stop myself from buying new games and I generally have an attitude of finishing one game before buying a new one. However I've still got PGR4 unopened at the moment (it was cheap in Zavvi just before Christmas) while I bleed the last few achievements from Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge and Saints Row 2.

I was hoping the usual post Christmas lull would make it a lot easier to lay off buying new games however in the next few months this lot comes out...

Street Fighter 4 (and I've gone and pre-ordered one of those pads as well)
    Resident Evil 5
    Madworld
    House Of The Dead: Overkill
    Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
    Chrono Trigger DS

And in addition to that I promised myself I'd get Resident Evil 4 Wii before RE5 came out so I could do the extra Ada stuff that wasn't on the Gamecube one to get me in the mood for the new game. I also plan on getting Rock Band 2 as soon as the new instruments get released in the UK which has got to be sometime within the next few months.

Bad times for my bank account.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Max_Powers 20 Jan 2009 10:28:26 1,065 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm with you guys, with the exception of Streetfighter IV. I'm definitely going to buy that one. But after that, no more games I swear!
  • buggrit 20 Jan 2009 10:30:46 5,178 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought about doing this for a bit.
    Then I remembered that HAWX, Aliens, SFIV and Skate 2 are all coming out dead soon.

/shakes fist at post-Xmas glut of games
  • andywilkie35 20 Jan 2009 10:38:28 5,338 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SFIV, Resi 5 and Star Ocean 4 for me, but fortunately its a month til SFIV so I'm not going to buy anything til then! Then its another month til Resi and another month til Star Ocean 4. Just trying to get through/finish old games really at the mo

I figure for games like Riddick: Dark Athena that whilst I want to get it, its a game that for me can easily wait until I a) finish some old ones and b) comes down in price

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• mikew1985 20 Jan 2009 10:42:36 12,062 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Would love to join in on this but Skate 2 has my hands tied, just impossible not to buy it.

I've still got a sealed copy of POP and I NEVER have sealed copies of anything! Then theres FC2, FO3, BK:N&B and L4D to plow time into, developers/publishers take note: don't release all of your games at the same time, you silly gooses!

(having said that I still bought/was gifted them all so i suppose i'm part of the problem).
  • Zomoniac 20 Jan 2009 10:43:41 7,402 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    I imposed this ban on myself at new year. Since then I've bought 12 new games. Oops.

13. Bollocks.
  • Page

of 48 First / Last