Champions Online

• Page

of 33 First / Last

Previous
  • DFawkes 12 Jan 2009 10:40:30 22,056 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was surprised that there wasn't a thread already, unless the search function is borked and can't find it regardless of me typing the exact name, so I'll start a thread. I don't do it often.

I'm really looking forward to this. I know some just regard it as CoX v2, but I can't play that on my 360, and I don't think my PC will be up to the full game at the same level of detail.

As far as I know, you'll be able to use the pad on PC too, which is handy. I'm assuming the game will be geared towards 360 pad play too, to best fit it's 2 system nature, but I'm hoping that doesn't mean cutting out any depth (Deus Ex Invisible War, I'm looking at you).

It'd probably have been better, or more popular at least, with Marvel characters, but I suppose using the Champions universe gives them a bit more room to be creative.

I might even pre-order, which I usually don't do for MMOs.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• DFawkes 13 Jan 2009 11:30:51 22,056 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hit reactions? I'm not sure what you mean, I've seen other stuff that shows fairly clear impacts with weapons. Though that was with ranged combat, granted. I think KotORs' melee combat got it right for the MMO style, even if it feels a tad scripted.

From what I've seen though, it looks more like an open version of Marvel Ultimate Alliance than a proper MMO, most likely to stop them alienating 360 owners. Though I'm curiosu to see how the subscription hits them.

• iokthemonkey 18 Jan 2009 11:44:00 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Interesting - Massively.com have a preview/interview video and there's some in-game footage with some animations that will be VERY familiar to anybody who's played CoH...

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• DFawkes 19 Jan 2009 09:19:23 22,056 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't watch videos at work! Stupid browser won't update. You'd think they didn't want me slacking off all day.

I don't need to see videos anyway, I've seen plenty. Seems to be shaping up quite nicely, though I've purposely avoided CoX to make it seem less familiar. I do like the fact it's playable with a pad (I'm not sure if it'll be released under the Games for Windows banner, but might be).

• Dizzy 19 Jan 2009 09:38:26 2,443 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Better CoX == TEH WIN!

Champions is almost guaranteed to be awesome.
  • DFawkes 19 Jan 2009 09:45:01 22,056 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm curious, will anyone else be taking advatage of the MMOs cross-overs with the revitalised pen and paper version? I do like the idea that I can role-play in the same universe as an MMO.

I've never been into an MMO pre-release before, but the idea of flying into battle, laying down covering fire as a huge mad beast is about to administer a fatal blow to an allied Hero sounds awesome. Especially if there are a lot of fellow Heroes battling the same foe.

• DFawkes 22 Jan 2009 17:22:33 22,056 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been checking a few things out, turns out the NDA for the Beta is fairly lenient. There is a feature that lets you show off your character, but I clicked an Opt Out button by mistake, and for the life of me have no idea how to reverse it.

Regardless, just imagine Iron Man but blue. I tried to avoid just copying an existing hero, but really couldn't help it. And put your hand down at the back Mr Comic Book Guy, I'm aware of War Machine.

Apart from that description of my character (which would've been the same had I not been in the beta), I'll just say I'll definitely be pre-ordering as soon as I possibly can.

• Trafford 10 Feb 2009 09:35:55 5,270 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Official site

I just registerd on the forums and applied for the beta.
    COH all over again.I'm very excited.

• DFawkes 10 Feb 2009 09:43:14 22,056 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Most sessions are at 1-5am GMT at the moment, so you really have to be dedicated to play - I'm not sure if any of my enjoyment was down to sleep deprivation!

• Benno 28 Feb 2009 09:13:27 9,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oooooooooooo

just got an email, I got a spot in the beta
    starts on monday

exciting!
  • Benno 28 Feb 2009 09:14:37 9,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the first one is only for a day!

/takes day off
  • DFawkes 28 Feb 2009 14:38:06 22,056 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're all still US-centric, staying up until 1am to play still. Worth it though :)

• Benno 28 Feb 2009 14:50:00 9,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nah, on Monday the european testing starts

7pm - 11pm GMT
  • DFawkes 28 Feb 2009 17:00:58 22,056 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice. In ever got a mail or anything detailing that.

I'm still passed my usual level 12 boredom threshold though, like I get with most MMOs. Nothing to do with the game, I just get a bit bored after that many quests. Even WoW I quit after level 12, to come back later.

• Res 5 May 2009 11:29:21 1,814 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Massively have a bunch of previews up for this game now.

Character Creation
    Combat
    First Five Levels

I really want to play this now. City of Heroes was great it just turned into a bit of a grind after my friend stopped playing, hopefully Champions will do more to keep the game entertaining without making it really easy to level up.

I signed up for the beta as soon as the page launched and have still not had an invite. Bastards.
  • Dizzy 5 May 2009 11:35:10 2,443 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think this will be unbeatable in the Hero MMO department. That DC game looks like a joke compared to Champions and CoX is starting to show its age. I spend way to much time in CoX... love it to death, but this looks even better.
  • Kujata 18 May 2009 17:44:08 2,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am seriously considered a whole new badass PC just to play this on. I loved City of Heroes for 3 years straight and can't wait to get back to the heroing in this. I'm also glad to see that they really understand what made CoH so good in the first place... character customization. There seems to be tonnes of outfit/powerset options in Champions.

September 1st can't come sson enough!
  • DFawkes 18 May 2009 18:15:55 22,056 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had to stop playing the beta to be honest, because I was sinking so much time into a character that'd be lost I couldn't face it losing him any more powerful!

The delay is a real surprise to me, everything early on is polished to perfection.

• Deleted user 19 May 2009 16:53:40
    Can anyone in the CBT say, or rather hint at, if the quests/missions follow a similar theme from the previous game (ie. corridors. Kill bad men. Kill boss. End) or have you encountered any novel twists? I really wanted to enjoy COH, but both my friend and I decided it was a bit too grindy during the EG free trial key giveaway-a-thon.

Like the sound of the travel powers coming in early though.
  • Benno 7 Jun 2009 10:40:20 9,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have never got more than 2 hours into the beta, awful engine. City of Heroes runs better and looks better at the same time. They seriously need to get it optimised.

Do love the combat though
  • DFawkes 7 Jun 2009 12:34:52 22,056 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't say I had any problems with the engine. Mostly really good in fact, with great draw distances and a consistent framerate.

• Benno 7 Jun 2009 12:50:21 9,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    really? must be me then. I dont usually have problems running stuff, especially MMOs
  • DFawkes 7 Jun 2009 17:34:35 22,056 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My new machine can run pretty much anything on low, which admittedly it had trouble with in early builds of CO. But it's really come a long way, it's almost like they've optimised it just for me :) Which might be why it's not optimised for anyone else. Hopefully, like most MMOs, it'll be an ongoing thing even after release and you'll have better fortune.

• Shikasama 19 Jun 2009 22:36:11 6,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    After playing the beta I can guarantee that this is a game I will not be purchasing.

It has a lot of probelms that can't be excused as 'dude it's just a beta'. These are problems on with design choice, implementation and at a conceptual level. There is very little meat to the game and the UI is frankly shocking. Also, if you have a low to mid range PC, forget about it. You can run the game but not at any sort of enjoyable graphical setting.

I don't entirely blame the developers for this though. I was in a wave of beta invites set out this year and Cryptic have been seriously let down by their Alpha and Beta community. The forums are filled with massive threads about the most trivial things wheras important design focuses are skipped over almost completely.

Also, the technical setup they have is completely abhorrent and is more reminiscent of Diablo 2 than a game that is supposed to herald the next generation of MMOs. It begins with S and ends with Hards.

To me, and this is my honest opinion, the game seems like a shameless attempt to try and rescue the investment and engine they created and lost when Marvel pulled the plug. I can truly understand why marvel did so, as this is a substandard game that does very little to reflect anything about the genre aside from a few thrown gimmicks. Whats more worrying is that the developers seem to view this as a good thing.

I do hear great things about Star Trek Online and think that is going to be their preferred title. I hear Cryptic have also picked up the rights to another MMO and I say CO falling by the wayside in terms of developer attention.

Co will appeal to players who are'nt looking for much from a game, or want to be overly challenged or have anything demanded of them. I do praise COs attempts to escape from some more traditional steadfast 'rules' like the dreaded 'holy trinity', but the implementation is super weak. Poor implementation of a nice idea rips through this game like a rabid wolf man with adamantium claws.

Don't get too excited about the character creator. Most of the pieces are huge, blocky and awful. If you want to make a robot or a freak with bunny ears you'll be fine, but more traditional Capes and Costumes truly suffer.

Everything I have said here may sound extremely negative, but its because I had high hopes for this game. I was eagerly anticipating it. I wanted it to be everything the Cryptic said it would be but on nearly every single count it failed to hit the mark. Sometimes it failed to even fire at the mark, and instead sent it's big brother (5 years its senior) to the job instead.

I hope the people that do pick it up enjoy it though. I don't enjoy seeing MMOs fail.
  • Shikasama 19 Jun 2009 22:40:25 6,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh, one more thing! The game is clearly designed for a gamepad, with the most convoluted keybinding system in existance!
  • DFawkes 21 Jun 2009 17:58:50 22,056 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agreed, I got a 360 pad for it, it improves it a lot. Gamepad certainly recommended, though the keyboard controls work fine.

• Orange 21 Jun 2009 18:57:39 4,564 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's a real shame, the preview I saw on RPS (or an RPS writer on EG, can't remember) was a big negative and seems justified going by this.

Oh well, another one off the list.
  • Dizzy 22 Jul 2009 11:25:05 2,443 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The new add on EG says "Beta preview available NOW!". So where is it??????
  • Page

of 33 First / Last

Previous