Metro 2033 Page 26

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• OmniaVincitAmor 6 Mar 2011 12:06:39 1,516 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    Definitely, but save your MS points as it's less than 13 most places these days

http://www.amazon.co.uk/THQ-Metro-2033-Xbox-360/dp/B002TOL4OQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299412759&sr=8-1

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/xbox-360/metro-2033-with-free-xbox-live-avatar-item/10066273.html

I know its cheaper retail but Ive got a lot lying around so its cool - 2400 points I think.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• Lexx87 6 Mar 2011 12:07:35 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can we have some? If they are just lying around :p

Speak the truth hussy!

• OmniaVincitAmor 6 Mar 2011 12:09:11 1,516 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    How much is it GOD? 39.99 or something silly?

Don't be expecting a falloutesque open world though, it's a linear path all the way through. Nothing wrong with that obviously as it's chuffing brilliant and just dripping in atmosphere.

If you've got some surround sound headphones it takes it to a whole new level too.

I meant aesthetics Fallout wise really. I know its a corridor shooter essentially. Atmosphere is everything for me and from what you all seem to be saying this has bucket loads. I've read its frustrating ammo wise - True?

• OmniaVincitAmor 6 Mar 2011 12:10:03 1,516 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Can we have some? If they are just lying around :p

Benefits of working in retail and having a game come free with free MS points that no one buys :)

• Deleted user 6 March 2011 12:10:24
    I thought GoD were all at a cash price these days rather than MS points price?

At least that's what the XBL site says:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Metro-2033/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80254510842

20 is still ok though - it's a fine game
  • Lexx87 6 Mar 2011 12:12:49 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    Lexx87 wrote:

Don't be expecting a falloutesque open world though, it's a linear path all the way through. Nothing wrong with that obviously as it's chuffing brilliant and just dripping in atmosphere.

If you've got some surround sound headphones it takes it to a whole new level too.

I meant aesthetics Fallout wise really. I know its a corridor shooter essentially. Atmosphere is everything for me and from what you all seem to be saying this has bucket loads. I've read its frustrating ammo wise - True?

I didn't have any issues and I played on Hard, while not spending any money either for an achievement so it's fine that way.

Speak the truth hussy!

• OmniaVincitAmor 6 Mar 2011 12:16:14 1,516 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    Lexx87 wrote:

I didn't have any issues and I played on Hard, while not spending any money either for an achievement so it's fine that way.

Awesome. Dont think I can afford to miss this one. Ta.

• PenguinJim 6 Mar 2011 12:17:57 5,837 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    You can change the price from real currency to points now (through the dash, at least).
  • Lexx87 6 Mar 2011 12:18:29 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Which is good if you get cheap points! :D

Speak the truth hussy!

• OmniaVincitAmor 6 Mar 2011 12:25:16 1,516 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Any genuinely scary moments (fingers crossed)?

• Deleted user 6 March 2011 12:27:20
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    You can change the price from real currency to points now (through the dash, at least).

Ah cool, never realised that :)
  • Lexx87 20 Mar 2011 12:48:21 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quarter of the way through the book of this. Really enjoying it it captures so much more about the life and feelings down there than the game does (even though the game does it brilliantly!). Obviously being a book it's really rich and detailed about everything, especially the politics of the stations and all that.

The only issue is all the station names are big long unpronounceable Russian names, and as they get mentioned a lot I find myself getting lost in where Aytyom is and going, other than ending up in Polis. The book could do with a map of the stations really to get my head around it!

Speak the truth hussy!

• RedSparrows 20 Mar 2011 16:28:41 22,349 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://www.speedymole.com/Tubes/Moscow/MOSCOW-SUBWAY-MAP-METRO.jpg

lazy bastard.
  • AaronTurner 29 Aug 2011 15:26:35 7,686 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Playing this on PC and having a problem. Seems like the game doesn't buffer textures or anything and whenever I see a new area or enemy I get lag until the texture is loaded in. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?
  • JoeBlade 11 Oct 2011 22:07:54 2,524 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got this in the Steam deal yesterday for a baffling 2.5 euro (first time the price in pounds was actually higher too, for some bizarre reason)

What an incredibly unnerving game. I wouldn't call it scary per se - then again I've played Amnesia which has increased my tolerance about a billion times - but the atmosphere is extremely bleak, lonely and threatening. I suspect that's exactly what the dev was going for and boy did they succeed.

The semi-stealth section shortly after the start pissed me off for a bit but now I'm past that it's really picking up again. It also taught me very effectively how fragile I am in this game so it wasn't all bad.
    Otherwise it's been great thusfar however.

I particularly like the bullets for currency idea as well as the HUDlessness, nice change of pace for the FPS genre :)
  • Deleted user 11 October 2011 22:11:08
    Awesome bump, one of my favourite games of the current gen :)

Don't worry, it will become more scary as you progress and learn that you have no more bullets to kill things with!

Have fun!
  • JoeBlade 26 Oct 2011 15:50:29 2,524 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey, where did my previous post go? :(

Anyhow, I've been enjoying this quite a bit up until the library; them librarian mutants are beginning to seriously piss me off.

Are there any better means of dealing with them other than shooting them in the face for half an hour while walking backwards and hoping not to get stuck on scenery? I can manage them but it's so bloody tedious I'm inclined to give up on the game :(

Edit: seems I was just victim of the "invisible last page" bug as my post is visible up there now.

Edited by JoeBlade at 15:51:19 26-10-2011
  • glo 26 Oct 2011 15:57:39 3,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    re the librarians your best bet is stealth and avoidance if possible. There is something else about them that may help though...

they will not attack if you stare them down and don't turn your back on them. If they start to growl then back away slowly whilst keeping your crosshairs firmly trained on them
  • smoothpete 26 Oct 2011 16:02:40 31,501 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just fecking leg it past them and hope you make it to the next checkpoint.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 26 Oct 2011 16:09:12 12,740 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    glo wrote:
    re the librarians your best bet is stealth and avoidance if possible. There is something else about them that may help though...

they will not attack if you stare them down and don't turn your back on them. If they start to growl then back away slowly whilst keeping your crosshairs firmly trained on them
    Ha, I've never played this but have been debating getting it since it's now on Xbox Live for direct download, but that's a very cool way for dealing with them :)
  • JoeBlade 26 Oct 2011 16:19:08 2,524 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Does that work? Fighting them isn't just a chore but consumes a lot of ammo as well so I'm indeed inclined to just leave them be. They seem very good at blocking my passage however.

Wouldn't I miss out on important stuff as well?
  • smoothpete 26 Oct 2011 16:19:46 31,501 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Either way, trying to kill them is a fool's errand, it takes aaaaages and like a million bullets
  • BravoGolf Moderator 26 Oct 2011 16:20:23 12,740 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @JoeBlade - See the spoilered response instead :)
  • smoothpete 26 Oct 2011 16:24:57 31,501 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    Does that work? Fighting them isn't just a chore but consumes a lot of ammo as well so I'm indeed inclined to just leave them be. They seem very good at blocking my passage however.

Wouldn't I miss out on important stuff as well?
    I don't know what you miss as I didn't stop to check :) It's only a short section of corridors. You'll need to run later on in the level for sure

Yeah it can be done that way, just sprinting by them. It worked for me anyway.

Glo's method does work too though, I remember that from an FAQ that I had to look up after wasting all my ammo trying to kill the fuckers
  • JoeBlade 26 Oct 2011 16:27:34 2,524 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers lads, I'll give it another go tonight :)
  • smoothpete 26 Oct 2011 16:29:50 31,501 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like the Librarians actually, in terms of game enemies / monsters. One of the few I can remember where you see one and you're like "oh fuuuuuuuck"
  • Bi50N Global Brand Manager, Deep Silver 22 Nov 2011 12:14:33 297 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In the first part of the Library (in the main room where the Demon attacks), Miller actually tells you how to deal with the Librarians (i.e. the spoilered advice above).

It's easy to miss if you're not paying attention though....

If you insist on fighting them though, the Helsing is your friend.

http://twitter.com/Bi50N

• PenguinJim 28 Feb 2012 13:47:15 5,837 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was going to quickly ask about grabbing the Ranger DLC pack while the 5% discount is running, but as agparrot says, may as well throw some money at them to keep Metro 2034 humming along. :)
  • Deleted user 13 May 2012 10:55:41
    Played the demo on onlive. It kind of reminded me of dead space, in that you have shit jumping at you from all directions, and it tries to make you panic, and make the player uncomfortable and nervous in that way. I get the impression that the gameplay probably won't rise much above that.

But it was atmospheric and might be worth playing through on easy mode for the story/atmosphere.
  • Page

of 28 First / Last