Opera - The Thread Page 4

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• SpaceDave3000 6 Jul 2009 13:06:17 78,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Preferences > Advanced > Tabs > Additional tab options > Click on tab to minimise.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• terminalterror 6 Jul 2009 13:06:23 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I've been on overdrive trying to find ways to improve the browser and found this. Many buttons that you can add to the interface to improve it's functionality or better still, you can make your own. You'll find them in the appearance window in the buttons tab and in the My buttons section where you can drag and drop to wherever you wish.

I added a checkbox to lock tabs, hid the menu bar and added a single button to show them instead, added a toggle for the personal bar and a toggle to hide/show the tab previews.

Also it's doing well in speed tests.

Browser is looking swish.

Thanks for this, turning the menu bar into a single drop down list keeps all the functionality and gains me some lovely vertical real estate (I'm on a 1280x800 laptop, so vertical real estate is handy).
  • SpaceDave3000 6 Jul 2009 13:07:45 78,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    Quick question:

Before I reinstalled windows, I had Opera 9.64, and it allowed me to unfocus a tab by clicking on it (i.e. if I opened a new tab from here, then clicked on the tab while it was focused, I'd come back to this tab).

That no longer happens, both on the 9.64 I installed at first, and on the 10 beta I'm using now.

How do I get that functionality back? It was very useful.
    Preferences > Advanced > Tabs > Additional tab options > Click on tab to minimise.

• terminalterror 6 Jul 2009 13:08:08 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

I'd seen that option, but never thought it was what I wanted, as I assumed the tab would actually minimise (similar to window behaviour) rather than just unfocus. That option could be better named.

Thank you!
  • SpaceDave3000 6 Jul 2009 13:09:21 78,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No worries. That was confusing for a second, I hate getting the last post of a page.

• terminalterror 6 Jul 2009 13:14:08 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I've been on overdrive trying to find ways to improve the browser and found this. Many buttons that you can add to the interface to improve it's functionality or better still, you can make your own. You'll find them in the appearance window in the buttons tab and in the My buttons section where you can drag and drop to wherever you wish.

I added a checkbox to lock tabs, hid the menu bar and added a single button to show them instead, added a toggle for the personal bar and a toggle to hide/show the tab previews.

Also it's doing well in speed tests.

Browser is looking swish.

Thanks for this, turning the menu bar into a single drop down list keeps all the functionality and gains me some lovely vertical real estate (I'm on a 1280x800 laptop, so vertical real estate is handy).

Yay for that button site! The only thing I used regularly on the menu bar was the "close tab" button (I switched off the "have a close button on every tab" option) for when I can't get a gesture to work (like on a full page flash site). I've now put that button on my tab bar, next to the "undo closed tabs" button on the right.

I'll have a look to see if there are any other cool buttons I can add.

I love Opera!
  • SpaceDave3000 6 Jul 2009 13:17:34 78,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The show/hide personal bar one is a goody as well.

• terminalterror 6 Jul 2009 13:59:18 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The show/hide personal bar one is a goody as well.

Since starting from scratch, I've switched my primary links from the personal bar (and removed it from view) and put them on the (expanded) speed dial.

A toggleable personal bar is a great place to put often, but not regularly used links.

Hooray for Opera, and for whoever it was that originally got me to try it (back when it had a banner advert if you didn't want to pay for it!). I think it was UncleLou.
  • mad_caddy 6 Jul 2009 14:11:22 3,306 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My only gripe about opera is that over the years it feels like it's become fairly bloated, a lot of other browsers load much quicker and opera seems to have become much slower.

anyone got any tricks for giving it a kick up the arse?

other than that it's quite simply the best browser.
  • SpaceDave3000 6 Jul 2009 21:08:18 78,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A fresh install usually does the trick. It started to feel boggy for me a while back before I realised it was the same install that I had used every day for 6 years, updating it with each release so there were some conflicting problems over the different versions configs.

• Deleted user 7 July 2009 09:32:25
    Any way to make my fonts in Opera look like those in Safari? The one feature I really like about Safari is the bold fonts that make reading of some pages easier.
    Shame Safari doesn't have an adblock (I mean the Windows version), I'd jump to it immediately.
  • SpaceDave3000 7 Jul 2009 09:35:20 78,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, there's something called GDI++ which gives windows font smoothing like the mac's. It took some finding, I'll upload it someplace for easy access.

Here

• monkeyspasm 7 Jul 2009 09:36:16 2,813 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Opera really seems to hate EG.

It's my favourite browser by far, but unless I visit the forum directly and bypass the front page, it nearly always locks up on the front page. I'm assuming it's the ads. I'm on the latest version, on a fresh install.

edit - nevermind, read last page where DB says it's a problem with the beta. Shame, best browser by far n'all!
  • SpaceDave3000 7 Jul 2009 09:38:37 78,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Block em then. I've never had a problem, but I know that if your java is out of date it'll cause all sorts of shit.

• monkeyspasm 7 Jul 2009 09:44:12 2,813 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blocked 'em, works now.

Java up to date and all, strange. Not too good from EG's point of view either, if people have to block ads to get the site to work.
  • Deleted user 7 July 2009 09:57:15
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Yeah, there's something called GDI++ which gives windows font smoothing like the mac's. It took some finding, I'll upload it someplace for easy access.

Here

Well, interesting. What I meant was browser-only font smoothing, but this changed all my fonts, including MS Word, everything.
    It' not the same as in Safari but looks fairly similar. I think I'm starting to like it.
    By the way the program asked me something in unreadable characters (Chinese?) and it restarted my computer.
    You sure it's safe to use? It hovers probably somewhere in the background..
  • SpaceDave3000 7 Jul 2009 10:00:50 78,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, my girlfriend made me install it a while ago because it's almost impossible to read kanji and hiragana fonts without it.

It's frankly brilliant. It replaces the windows Cleartype dll with a small registry hack. It's nothing to worry about and it's not a resource hog anymore than cleartype is.

• ecureuil 9 Jul 2009 19:03:12 76,879 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't want to have to ask this, but anyway.. Can I get middle mouse click opening new tabs everywhere (not just URLs)? ie. middle clicking the back button opening a new tab, highlighting an URL and opening it in a new tab, etc.
  • SpaceDave3000 9 Jul 2009 19:31:37 78,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No.

• ecureuil 9 Jul 2009 19:35:16 76,879 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, I can shift click highlighted stuff. No way to make that the default?

I thought there was nothing Firefox could do that Opera couldn't?
  • SpaceDave3000 9 Jul 2009 19:35:36 78,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can duplicate tabs. Also middle click opens personal bar and bookmark stuff in a new window, although I recommend you uncheck re-use current tab in the tabs section of preferences > advanced.

Honestly don't see the point in middle clicking back buttons as I've barely ever used the back button in opera.
    ecureuil wrote:
    I thought there was nothing Firefox could do that Opera couldn't?
    A pointless feature that really doesn't need to exist seeing as opera doesn't have to reload the page if you click back as it's aggressively cached.

Only joeys who don't know how to browse would need it.

• terminalterror 14 Jul 2009 21:04:38 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cunning extra Opera tip for those of you that keep all your tabs between sessions so have no need for a homepage:

If you double click anywhere on the speed dial that isn't one of the speed dial buttons, it takes you to your home page. Effectively you get an extra speed dial slot that is even quicker to access. I've set the EG forum as my home page, so to get to it all I need to do is (mouse gesture down) for a new tab and double click.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2009 07:44:14
    Just gave latest Opera a go to see what it's like. Wow. It does everything different to all the other standard browsers (Firefox, Safari, for example).

For example, Command-Click always opens a new tab and jumps to it immediately. That's fine, I'll change the preference. Oh. There isn't one. To open a new tab in the background I've got to Command-Shift-Click. Annoying.

Once I've opened a few tabs and start going through them and closing them as I finish reading, the tab selected is the last one I was on, not the next one in the row. That's fine, I'll change the preference. There's something in the Prefs that says "When closing a tab, activate the next tab" so I click on that and have another go. Same thing happens - goes to the next tab to the left, not the next tab to the right.

What am I doing wrong, and why does Opera not follow standard conventions?
  • mad_caddy 19 Aug 2009 09:05:02 3,306 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just downloaded the latest BETA (3) and fook it's so much quicker!

works very well indeed.

/turns turbo ON.

:-0

• Retroid Moderator 19 Aug 2009 10:11:15 44,803 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just found how to change the spellchecker to UK English! \o/
  • gareth886 19 Aug 2009 13:41:57 2,841 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Retroid wrote:

Care to share?
  • TheStylishHobo 23 Aug 2009 22:02:22 3,185 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hopefully Dirtbox is around.

http://i27.tinypic.com/2wo97o8.png

Can I get a layout like this in Opera? Said layout being all the menu buttons squashed into one, then having the back/forward/refresh/stop buttons and lastly the URL bar all on one bar? And that bar has to be above tabs.
  • SpaceDave3000 23 Aug 2009 22:10:20 78,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, but much nicer than that.

You need Opera 10 then at the bottom of the file menu you can uncheck show menu bar. The rest you can just remove or add the buttons you don't want.

• SpaceDave3000 23 Aug 2009 22:11:45 78,286 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gareth886 wrote:
    Retroid wrote:

Care to share?
    Right click on a form, like the one you typed that post into and add/remove dictionaries at the bottom of the menu.

• Retroid Moderator 23 Aug 2009 22:26:11 44,803 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bugger, meant to post that up rather than just mention it.
  • Page

of 17 First / Last