Opera - The Thread

• Page

of 17 First / Last

Previous
  • Dirtbox 8 Dec 2008 17:08:15 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just because it's unfair when I start to take over on threads about other browsers I've decided it's far better to make a thread that covers everything instead.

At the moment I'm trying out the alpha version of 10, which is for want of a better word, awesome.

For starters, it has a new rendering engine, making it as fast as Chrome and Safari, only with 100% rendering accuracy. Or so the theory goes anyway, at the moment it chugs and is slower than 9.62, but being an alpha, you can forgive these things. It still gets 100/100 in the Acid 3 compliance test. which has always been a gyp in my book, but it's there all the same.

A quick note on installing user javascripts.

They're much like FF plugins to the uninitiated and you simply create a folder in your opera directory and drop them all in there then go to Tools> Preferences> Advanced> Content> check the JavaScript box and point the JavaScript options button to the folder and you're done. It's a little annoying having to do it this way, it's a little fiddly and there's no reason it can't be done in the same way as FF does with plugins.
    NOTE: This has since changed and you can add/remove/disable and create new userJS's by using a Unite plugin.

I have two folders in my opera folder called User JS 1 and 2, they both essentially have the same scripts in them, but with a few omissions from either. For example, the links2images script I use for EG so I can see any linked pics in the threads doesn't work with some other sites and can be a bit messy, but I've got it in one folder and not the other. Every site has it's own preferences all the way to selecting which JS folder you want to use for it.

UserJS.org is a great site to cherrypick the best scripts from but sadly it's not been updated for a long time. There are a lot of fixes for sites that used to be problematic for opera, however, for the most part here are only very few that you'd need from there now, and even fewer with the new rendering engine, so before long these will be a thing of the past.

The best place is opera's User JavaScript forum where you'll see the latest and greatest as they come to be. They even do requests, so you can point out a specific FF plugin and they'll spit out a fully working JavaScript into your eager mits.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• JetSetWilly 8 Dec 2008 17:10:02 5,720 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers Dirtbox.

/marks interesting
  • MetalDog 8 Dec 2008 17:18:42 23,706 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Likewise. I don't use opera mail, but the client is my usual. I had to roll back a version to clear up some problems with animated adverts recently, though.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Lexx87 8 Dec 2008 17:21:24 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought this was about the chatshow :(

Speak the truth hussy!

• yupyup 8 Dec 2008 17:24:17 3,669 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My boss called this 'Oprah' this morning in a meeting :)

I switched from using FF about six months ago. FF's tab cycling seems so primitive and unworkable going back. I saw someone mention the mouse gestures for back and forward on here, gotten so used to them since.

Also, the single best thing about it is holding down space bar to advance pages in EG threads. So fantastically lazy.

Hands Off Our Penises

• Dirtbox 8 Dec 2008 17:35:44 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Plonked in some JavaScript info.

• Aretak 8 Dec 2008 17:37:32 10,329 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Has the ad blocker been improved at all? It's pretty bare-bones in 9.62, with no option to turn off site blocking (or options of any kind really).
  • Dirtbox 8 Dec 2008 17:49:36 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Has the ad blocker been improved at all? It's pretty bare-bones in 9.62, with no option to turn off site blocking (or options of any kind really).
    You can edit the blocked sites ini file directly and add what you want to it *whateversite.com* or something like that works fine. There's an adblock script on the forum as well, but I quite like the ability to be selective about what's blocked.

• gareth886 12 Dec 2008 14:30:47 2,841 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone using Opera 10 alpha noticed the horizontal line that runs across the top and bottom of the page when you use the scroll wheel to scroll to the top or bottom of the page?

Does anyone know its function?
  • Deleted user 12 December 2008 14:31:57
    lol
  • Dirtbox 12 Dec 2008 14:33:58 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, it's for when you're using the mouse wheel, it shows you the top/bottom of where you scrolled from. It's quite handy if you're reading a JTN post.

• gareth886 12 Dec 2008 14:34:33 2,841 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What's so funny? Am I missing something obvious?
  • Dirtbox 2 May 2009 11:59:05 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Yeah, atm currently yearning for an integrated music player, bookmarks synchronizer (that would be ridiculously handy right now), flashblock, forecastfox...
    If you can explain what flashblock and forecastfox do, I'll have a look around. There are widgets for music players, but they're not what I'd call integrated.

• cubbymoore 2 May 2009 11:59:51 36,441 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Make my opera like my firefox pweese mr dirtbox.
  • cubbymoore 2 May 2009 12:02:09 36,441 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    flashblock blocks flash, anything you want to activate you just click on the box which has been blocked, or just tell it "this page is kosher" and flash is then enabled for that page or even whole site.

forecastfox is just a weather thing that shows the next three days weather in your area.
  • Dirtbox 2 May 2009 12:11:07 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Firstly, get Opera 10 Alpha, it's more stable than Opera 9.6 and comes with a proper spellchecker.

Flashblock you don't need as Opera doesn't have any of the security holes that FF does, so it can run whatever and you'll be safe as houses, also Opera doesn't get resource raped by flash in the way FF does. If you're talking about ad related stuff then Fanboy's adblock list there's a seperate DL for opera that you have to install manually, but has the same effect as FF's.

Weather widgets

There isn't a music player as such, but I can't really see the point in it when there is winamp and so on. Did FF have some sort of iTunes styled tab? If you can link to the plugin I'll look into getting it converted. Opera can run a fair amount of FF's greasemonkey scripts without much tweaking.

Customising Opera to look the same as FF is a piece of piss. Right click on something and add or remove whatever element or button you want there by dragging and dropping from the palette.

You should be able to import all your bookmarks just fine, folders and all.

• cubbymoore 2 May 2009 12:19:03 36,441 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/219
  • Dirtbox 2 May 2009 12:20:02 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Found this which appears to do the exact thing you ask of flashblock.

• cubbymoore 2 May 2009 12:22:53 36,441 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    You should be able to import all your bookmarks just fine, folders and all.
    Yeah importing was no problem other than finding the bookmark file, but they got imported and organised all alphabetically, which isn't how I work at all as I can barely remember what letter something I have a vague recollection of might begin with but I'll remember where it is. I'm just a little scared of opening firefox at all now in case it decides to set my pc on fire, so I can't cross reference anything now.
  • Dirtbox 2 May 2009 12:24:35 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Move all your plugins to another folder and start it up to take a look.

Afraid I can't find anything like the music player, there are these but I don't have the feeling they're what you're looking for.

• cubbymoore 2 May 2009 12:32:05 36,441 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    S'alright, I'm starting to feel that this is my browser equivalent of the financial boom and now I'm in the recession and having to learn how to function normally again. I used to cope perfectly well without all those add ons back in the olden days, so I'll just get on with it.

Might clear out my bookmarks while I'm at it.
  • Dirtbox 2 May 2009 12:34:48 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's worth bearing in mind that Opera are adding full FF plugin support later down the line. Rumour has it it'll be available in the final release of 10.

• Retroid Moderator 2 May 2009 12:36:44 44,501 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /Hugs Opera
  • Dirtbox 2 May 2009 12:52:15 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh, I forgot about this, you can get the various up and coming additions here. Some smart stuff going on.

• lost_soul 2 May 2009 12:59:10 9,369 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh shit, Retroid's a mod?

/fears another Mapster

:-)

Anyway, Opera - love it. Been using for years; wasn't it one of the first browsers with tabbed support?
  • Dirtbox 2 May 2009 13:08:54 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Almost everything you take for granted in browsers now was lifted from Opera - ad blocking, popup blocking, speed dial, download manager, address bar searching, proper bookmark manager, RSS, page caching, overall speed, etc. You'll see it all there first, then a few months later when Firefox rips it off and dismisses everything it can't manage as pointless bloat.

/checks opera's resource usage after 3 days of constant running... 66mb :)

FF was and will always be a pale opensource imitation. The Gimp to Photoshop as it were.

• Retroid Moderator 2 May 2009 13:10:42 44,501 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was, yes, you cheeky bugger ;D
  • Cosmopolitan 3 May 2009 20:49:28 1,894 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    It's worth bearing in mind that Opera are adding full FF plugin support later down the line. Rumour has it it'll be available in the final release of 10.

What?! God no, I don't want my Opera stuffed with gimmicky FF addons. I want it to remain slick and fast, not become a resource hog like FF.

The Master of Unlocking.

• Aretak 3 May 2009 20:51:28 10,329 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wish they'd hurry up and release a new version of 10 (that isn't horribly broken like the snapshots). There doesn't seem to be much point in installing the alpha at this stage, but I do like to have Opera around.
  • Page

of 17 First / Last

Previous