Match.com and Online Dating Page 3

• Page

of 330 First / Last

• AdmiralPellaeon 9 Dec 2008 17:12:18 347 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I met my girlfriend on Match.com

I found it to be very good, I signed up for a month but funnily enough I met her on my very first date so I cancelled my subscription after a week !

we have been going out for 9 months now & it seems to be going well !

we are moving in together in January
  • Trane 9 Dec 2008 18:42:10 4,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AdmiralPellaeon wrote:
    it seems to be going well !

we are moving in together in January

What an oxymoron.

;)
  • coojam 9 Dec 2008 20:12:37 625 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    I kept my account open (no sub though) and only one person I could be interested in has popped up and it's not worth the twenty five quid to contact her.

Surely love is priceless? Wouldn't it be worth the money just for the chance? Like I said earlier in the thread, I'd easily blow twice 25 on a shit night out, isn't it worth the shot?

As for the photos thing... my previous girlfriend was stunning in person, but she never looked as good in photos, mainly because she hated having her photo taken, shyed away from the camera, tried to hide and didn't know how to pose. So I can understand that some women might be better looking in person.

However, I also know many more women (and men) who are very selective with their photos (particularly on places like Facebook) and only ever choose the very best ones... which is completely understandable on a dating website. I'm guilty of that myself, though I threw in a couple of questionable ones anyway, purely for the "may as well be honest now" argument.
  • Deleted user 9 December 2008 21:45:58
    You're not guaranteed love, you guys got lucky. After a couple of months on it it was enough to convince me I was wasting my money. I had some nice dates, even the one that I was a bit shocked over the difference between her and her photo (pleasant enough lass really), was very suprised at how upbeat most are. I mean I'm 31 so they've been through the same shit I have at some point or another or, like me, spent their twenties heavily involved in someone and popped confused out the other side.

I'm a pretty social guy (why I spend so much time out and so much time when I'm in on here) so I'll probably meet someone eventually. Then I'll blow that 25 on them.

• CosmicFuzz 9 Dec 2008 21:47:46 23,866 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    I'm a pretty social guy (why I spend so much time out and so much time when I'm in on here) so I'll probably meet someone eventually. Then I'll blow that 25 on them.

Hate to tell you, but 25 won't get you very much.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• Deleted user 9 December 2008 21:49:40
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    squarejawhero wrote:

Hate to tell you, but 25 won't get you very much rohypnol.
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Dec 2008 21:52:08 23,866 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha, better not spill a drop!

Oh God this thread just took a turn for the worse!

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• Deleted user 9 December 2008 21:55:12
    I have brought shame unto this house.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA.

I'm now going to go stalking the Soulmates site looking for vic... potential dates.
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Dec 2008 21:56:32 23,866 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    YOU'RE NO SQUARE JAWED HERO!

• Deleted user 9 December 2008 22:05:13
    Holy shit I just went on there and I SWEAR the first girl I clicked on my matches I used to go to uni with.

I has to be her, it's freaking me out.
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Dec 2008 22:06:04 23,866 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds like it's a sign! Is she hot?

• Deleted user 9 December 2008 22:09:29
    Well, she wasn't then but she's trimmed down now. So, er, yarp.

I swear it's her.

I'm really not shitting you either, I've actually broken down into the cold sweats its freaked me out so much. o_o

Or that could just be my flu.
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Dec 2008 22:13:16 23,866 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think you should get in contact and see what happens. And keep us updated, of course. Possibly film it.

• Dougs 9 Dec 2008 22:17:12 67,190 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aye, in for a penny, in for a pound. Or half a pound if she's lost weight.
  • Deleted user 9 December 2008 22:19:01
    I signed up at match.com a while back when I first moved to where I am living, spent a while on my profile, tryed to give a little info about myself and fill out all the boxes etc, added a few photographs.. Then did a search, 3 people within 15 miles.. 1 person within 5 miles who I didn't really like the sound of but contacted anyway and got no reply.. Guess its beacuse of where I live, if you live in a city or large town perhaps your going to get more out of it..

looks like im just destined to stay single for a while longer..
  • Deleted user 9 December 2008 22:20:25
    I'm going to sleep on it.

I actually freaked out so much I just called a mate to ask their opinion.
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Dec 2008 22:31:24 23,866 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good man! Let us know in the morning of your decision. This sounds like the setting for a sitcom!

• Deleted user 9 December 2008 22:32:45
    Yeah chances are she'd probably go "oh fuck, it's him!" or something. We were friends but it was very much a battle of wills back then, lots of vocal sparring.
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Dec 2008 22:38:48 23,866 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds to me like it could become a feisty romance ;)

• coojam 10 Dec 2008 20:52:36 625 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Man, I wish I'd have known and had a look at Guardian Soulmates earlier. There's no way near as many people on there, but just judging by the profiles and their ability to write without resorting to text speak makes me think the quality is far better. Is it judgemental to evaluate somebody's worth based on their ability to spell? Now I have to make the decision of whether it's worth ANOTHER subscription. In for the penny, in for the pound?
  • Deleted user 10 December 2008 21:04:53
    Guardian Soulmates is one of the worst things ever.

50s professor likes Goddard, being above all that and being verycleverthankyouverymuch.

Fuck off.
  • von_Doll 10 Dec 2008 21:05:07 2,107 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had a browse of Match and saw there were 36-pages of women on there within a decent radius, and surprisingly, a healthy selection of decent looking broads who don't sound like piss-heads or nutjobs. Quite a few who sound like they've got their head up right up their arse, too.

Guardian Soulmates has 6 chicks within 60-miles!

• coojam 10 Dec 2008 21:10:12 625 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well yeh, there's a lot fewer on there, so you'd have thought Match would be a better, more rounded offering. There's still the London-stigma attached to the Guardian paper, particularly when the default postcode option is a central London one. That annoys me more than the default country selection being set to USA on most international websites, then having to scroll to the bottom to find the UK (though at least that's easy).

Anyway, back to the dating site... though there's fewer pages for the same search (2 compared to Match's.... well, I haven't even seen the limit, even though so many don't seem to use the site anymore), they just seem a bit more....upmarket somehow. Just have to sift out the up-own-arse-types.

• Xerx3s 10 Dec 2008 21:14:27 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    Most of the profiles I've seen are poorly written, like the girl put absolutely zero thought into writing a little bit about herself. And even when she does write stuff, it's stupid shit like "oh i don't know what to write here. i'm down to earth but i like to go out clubbing a bit lol". Not to mention the ones written in ALL CAPS.

Date them, then kill them and become the infamous allcapskiller. Comfort yourself in the knowledge that you're making the internet a better place.
  • von_Doll 10 Dec 2008 21:18:22 2,107 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I came across a profile of some, admittedly, nice looking lass around 30 who had written a very down to earth, sweet profile, and ended it with "Oh, and look in the mirror before you e-mail me. If you don't think you deserve me, don't bother".

Of course, I wager she hasn't had much luck on the site seeing as that sort of shit would put off all but the dumbest fuckers out there, and as nice looking as she was, there were plenty more attractive women who chose not to sound like a complete high-maintenance cock.
  • coojam 10 Dec 2008 22:05:19 625 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alternatively, you could read that as her saying that she wanted someone with confidence.

The problem with dating profiles is that they're so subjective. Sometimes I'm inclined to think that writing less is better, as it stops people from judging you based on a few paragraphs of text and then deciding not to contact you. Then I think fuck it, I don't want to go out with someone who's judgemental anyway.
  • Genji 10 Dec 2008 22:15:43 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    Genji wrote:
    Most of the profiles I've seen are poorly written, like the girl put absolutely zero thought into writing a little bit about herself. And even when she does write stuff, it's stupid shit like "oh i don't know what to write here. i'm down to earth but i like to go out clubbing a bit lol". Not to mention the ones written in ALL CAPS.

Date them, then kill them and become the infamous allcapskiller. Comfort yourself in the knowledge that you're making the internet a better place.
    /is tempted

For me, them writing more is better, because it gives them more of a chance to differentiate themselves from 90% of the other girls on there - girls who are all "easy-going" and "down-to-earth free spirits" (whatever that means).

Chances are, if a girl writes something funny and original, I will contact her - even if it's just for a chat.
  • Hunam 10 Dec 2008 22:33:12 20,674 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Decided to just throw caution to the wind and go for a month to see how it all goes. Wrote a decent if generic profile at the moment, will work on it some more tomorrow when I've figured out exactly what I want to say. Enough people seem to be going on about it these days and I feel I'm one of these modern people with an open mind.

/taps foot impatiently
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Dec 2008 22:35:06 23,866 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everyone in this thread who has signed up MUST keep a blog of sorts here to keep us all updated, any potential dates, the run up to the date, how the date goes, etc, mmkay?

Good good :)

• Hunam 10 Dec 2008 22:39:10 20,674 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If it's anything like Starchilds gentlemanly antics I'd gladly kiss and tell.
  • Page

of 330 First / Last