Spotify Page 25

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• Flightrisker 25 Apr 2011 15:59:01 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well it's more relevant stealing from a shop as in distributor than from a fellow consumer.

The argument is pretty black and white. I'm fine to admit what I do is wrong. Just not sure why people try to defend stealing music/revenue fro the artists by blaming the record labels. There is a system crap as it is. If you wanna go against it then fine but it is in no way helping the artist for you to download it for free so don't act like it's us and the musicians versus the evil corporate overlords. You think it costs a tenner to record an album? It's an expensive industry and the money has to come from somewhere.
  • coda 27 Apr 2011 17:40:44 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wow, I just read about this issue with with 10min+ songs missing from the service. Is that a well known problem?

I find it a ridiculous situation and I found the condescending half-arsed explanations from the Spotify "reps" absolutely shocking.

When my free account becomes gimped I'm going to delete Spotify from my computer and will never consider using the shitty ever service again. There's no away in hell I'm going to pay for a service which is missing a large percentage of my favourite tracks!
  • Dirtbox 27 Apr 2011 17:42:15 78,554 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you're only using it on your computer then wtf did you pay for it for? There are loads of similar services that are free.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• coda 27 Apr 2011 17:46:27 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    If you're only using it on your computer then wtf did you pay for it for? There are loads of similar services that are free.

Did you not read my post properly?

When my free account becomes gimped I'm going to delete Spotify from my computer and will never consider using the shitty ever service again. There's no away in hell I'm going to pay for a service which is missing a large percentage of my favourite tracks!

I'm not paying for it and never have. But they now expect me to, which is my point. Why should I pay for the service when there's a major issue with tracks inexplicably missing from it?
  • Dirtbox 27 Apr 2011 17:54:37 78,554 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Then if you aren't tethered to it, why are you using it at all, let alone ranting about it? Grooveshark or even SoundCloud beckons.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• gamingdave 27 Apr 2011 18:19:42 4,246 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    coda wrote:
    Wow, I just read about this issue with with 10min+ songs missing from the service. Is that a well known problem?

I find it a ridiculous situation and I found the condescending half-arsed explanations from the Spotify "reps" absolutely shocking.

Come off it, you made it quite clear a few pages back you would never pay for it because you cant afford to and you would rather pirate anyway. The explanation they give is perfectly reasonable, and the wheel is now in motion to get this resolved.

Their service is IMO excellent. I listen to music at work all day every day through it, and when walking arround town. I havent bothered syncing any music onto my iPhone in a long while, because whilst that is a total pain and takes ages, this has the majority of what I am looking for and most of what I own as MP3, and finding it and playing it takes seconds. For me its easily worth the 10 a month, and last year I only bought a handful of albums as a result.

They do need to convert free users into paying ones though, and the ad revenue is simply not going to support the service compared to the running costs. I dont think they ever really promised a completely open and free service. I was a very early user, in early beta, and back then adverts where very infrequent. As time went on the adverts did start to grate a little, but it was the arrival of the mobile app, with offline caching that made me cough up.

I dont blame them at all for trying to convert more users and really if your using a lot more than 10 a month dont you think its worth it? The sound quality for paying customers is very good (though lossless would obviously be nice) and as value for money goes im not sure of many other services that can trump it. I use Spotify more than any other subscription service I pay for or ever have. I know music is more passive than TV, but its still masses of entertainment for the price. I pay less than 10p/hour as it stands and think thats cracking value.
  • chopsen 27 Apr 2011 18:37:44 16,127 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    BUT YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A TELEVISION

I did once. It exploded when I plugged it in. Never stole another one. True story.
  • colinmac 27 Apr 2011 18:56:56 735 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I recently got an iPhone 4 from 3 on the one plan (unlimited data) and unknown to me at the time, it came with a free Spotify premium account for the 24 months of my contract! Yay for 3 !

You need to dig to find it but the wifes htc desire also came with an account....

Live: Colinmac
    PSN: Colinmac
    3DS: 0946-2363-3364

• jonsaan 3 May 2011 08:59:59 25,364 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So is that it for Spotify being free with ads now then? I just logged in and got a message saying I can only listen to a track 5 times for nothing and would I like to upgrade now :(

FCUTA!

• macksed 3 May 2011 09:02:41 3,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bad times, time to migrate? http://www.we7.com/#/
  • Lexx87 3 May 2011 09:55:06 20,863 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The reason I won't pay for it yet is that it doesn't have all the artists on there. No Led Zeppelin no sale.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Flightrisker 3 May 2011 10:02:22 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fiver a month people, hardly worth abandoning an excellent service for.
  • THFourteen 3 May 2011 10:04:11 33,930 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:

or 10 a month and you can listen to all your music offline too. Bargain IMO.

there are some features i'd like added, Genius style functionality, sharing already downlaoded files between PC and Phone, better track listing in iphone, a proper iPad app, but its still good
  • shamblemonkee 3 May 2011 10:06:22 14,495 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So what are the best alternatives to Spotify now? 4 Euro a month for a no advert service is better than they were offering but whilst other free alternatives are available I don't fancy subscribing. I only used the [great] free service so don't care about all the extra stuff spotify offered.

I know of Grooveshark but never really gave it a decent try.....
  • Flightrisker 3 May 2011 10:17:37 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:

or 10 a month and you can listen to all your music offline too. Bargain IMO.

there are some features i'd like added, Genius style functionality, sharing already downlaoded files between PC and Phone, better track listing in iphone, a proper iPad app, but its still good

Yeah I pay the 10 euro one too. Well worth it.

Grooveshark is a pointless alternative. For the difference in price I can't see how someone could prefer it. Crap interface and user uploaded files mean you often spend time going through multiple version of the same track trying to find on that's not in Ass Quality.

My only real gripe as I've said is that Spotify dopes nothing with your data, which might be nice for a change for some but it knows everything I listen to, when I listen to it and what music I like. They really need to use that data to make the system more personalised.
  • Lexx87 3 May 2011 10:18:58 20,863 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They could just sell the data and then use that to bring back a free service :D

Speak the truth hussy!

• shamblemonkee 3 May 2011 10:24:16 14,495 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spotify needs to sort out agreements to get some horrible holes in their catalogue filled...

Radiohead
    Pink Floyd
    Tool
    Metallica

to name a few....
  • mcmonkeyplc 3 May 2011 10:28:49 39,469 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really would like a genius type system for Spotify, also 5 a month isn't really bank breaking considering it's unlimited listens.

As I love soundtracks it was pretty much a no brainer for me once the free version became gimped.

If you're into artists that aren't on spotify then I understand why you want alternatives though.

Also why does we7 have Radiohead and not spotify? I smell exclusive deals!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Flightrisker 3 May 2011 10:39:23 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But just download or rip your cds locally and import them and you'll have everything you want at home. Ok then you have to somehow get through work with no Metallica but it's not like there's a lack of anything else to listen to.
  • shamblemonkee 3 May 2011 10:43:24 14,495 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't own the entire discography of Tool or Pink Floyd... and don't listen to Spotify anywhere other than at home.

Anyway that was really just an aside, the real issue is a free alternative. 4euro is a pretty good deal but free is better than that :p
  • Flightrisker 3 May 2011 12:28:39 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Then just keep listening to Tool and Pink Floyd however you are right now and use Spotify for everything else.
  • BeheretiK 4 May 2011 14:45:46 884 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some updates to Spotify going live today:

http://gizmodo.com/#!5798387/spotify-totally-just-added-ipod-sync-to-its-streaming-and-new-download-service

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• jonsaan 6 May 2011 14:45:52 25,364 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jonsaan has gone premium!

No brainer in my current siutation to be honest. Plus I left it running and had zero playtime left!!

FCUTA!

• AlcohollicA 6 May 2011 17:01:01 2,355 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I signed up this month too. Using it on the iPhone more than I thought I would.

No more iTunes syncing for me, I already have the bands that are missing from spotify on my iPhone. :D
  • Blaizefm 6 May 2011 17:12:02 232 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mcmonkey, I agree. I would love a genius function on the iPhone app, or at least the radio stations
  • jonsaan 7 May 2011 19:02:40 25,364 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can register mobile devices like my ipod touches and set starred music for offline play. Which means I can take what I like on the go. Which is facking stunning frankly!

FCUTA!

• oceanmotion 17 May 2011 20:13:05 16,023 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aww, guess it had to end sometime. I noticed songs getting greyed out and playtime dwindling because of the new updates. Great while it lasted. Will have to pony up the cash now. Get through 10 hours a month pretty easily.
  • Raiko101 19 May 2011 02:04:06 6,461 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The update I got yesterday added 3 hours to my time, for some random reason. I've found that I listen to music I own far more often than the music I don't, so that timer doesn't go down a great deal. 19 days in and i've got 8 hours left. I probably use Spotify every day too.

I will never rent music. I've never rented films or games either. The concept is too weird for me. If I put my money in, I want something I can keep.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• urban 25 May 2011 15:59:20 10,984 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have grooveshark and a sizeable mp3 library but I keep rolling into Spotify every day. I don't even notice the fiver a month any more. They've got me hooked like Microsoft with Windows.
  • Page

of 28 First / Last