5.1 surround sound headphones

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 25 October 2008 01:23:25
    Im looking to pick up a pair of surround sound headphones for the ps3.. havn't a clue what Im looking for really, had a look on Amazon but there doesn't really seem to be much of a choice.. does anyone here use surround sound headphones for gaming? or could recomend a pair?. looking to spend around 60 or 70quid tops.
  • DUFFMAN5 25 Oct 2008 06:31:34 14,785 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi fella
    You don't really need surround as long as they are of good build. I have a Tritton pair for my 360 and they are great. Cost is around 80.00

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• OllyJ 25 Oct 2008 08:08:13 3,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah personally I wouldn't bother with Surround headphones, they are just regular headphones with a decoder box, so yet another box between you and the console, I agree with DUFFMAN5 get a decent pair of standard headphones go for a comfortable pair because after a while most headphones get very uncomfortable!!
  • Deleted user 25 October 2008 16:14:16
    really?, I thought surround sound headphones made quite a difference, the ones that actually use more than one speaker in each headphone anyway?. At the moment Im using a pair of Sony headphones that cost me 30, just plugged into the TV as I don't have an amp. While they do sound pretty good I can't help but think a pair that are fed an optical input direct from the ps3 would be better.
  • Tricky 25 Oct 2008 16:37:50 4,411 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    Yeah personally I wouldn't bother with Surround headphones, they are just regular headphones with a decoder box, so yet another box between you and the console

Yeah, because with your normal 5.1 surround sound speaker system, that doesn't put another box between you and the console, does it? ;-)

/facepalm
  • Deleted user 25 October 2008 17:54:26
    Im still undecided, I want to get a pair of surround sound phones but despite looking for the past hour I havn't really found a decent pair that intrests me. for people here that use headphones for gaming, what would you recomend?..

At the moment I will proberly just get these .. non surround sound but pretty good from reviews I have read.. Would I be limiting there output though by running them from the headphone plug on my TV?, Is there anything like a headphone AMP I could pair them with? maybe with an optical input?
  • Ajay 25 Oct 2008 18:35:45 2,412 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, this is all coming from a PC perspective. Anyhow, Speedlink Medusas are pretty popular and not too expensive, was very happy with mine while they lasted. I'm currently using a pair of Barracudas which are very comfortable for long sessions and sound, at least to me, very good.

Whether any of these are worthwhile or would even work with a PS3... well, that's another matter for someone who knows that machine.
  • KingOfSpain 25 Oct 2008 18:54:37 5,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a pair of these as do a few other people around here.

I think they are fantastic and really help with games such as COD4. Far Cry 2 also sounds great with them.
  • barchetta 25 Oct 2008 20:28:31 1,338 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whichever phones you opt for, sticking them into the audio out of a TV won't get the best out of them. I have a reasonable 6.1 amp and when I opt for the phones for some late night gaming the sound is excellent. Much better than the flat output from my TV.

Just using a 28 pair of BeyerDynamic Galactics but they are pretty good for the money. Still hear the 360 though... :(
  • skuzzbag 25 Oct 2008 21:47:12 5,648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bought some surround headphones which were supposed to be pretty good. Forget the name but they were about 60-80 quid and sounded not good. Boxy and the sub rang like a bell, very wierd. Also the ear cushions weren't very good and made my head sweat.

I sent them back and bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 which are amazing and crap all over the sound quality of the 5-1s.

High quality stereo sound makes a better job of immersing your in the audio of a game than low quality 5-1 headphones. They don't have the mic though but I just hung the 360 headset around my neck.

• OllyJ 25 Oct 2008 21:49:23 3,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    OllyJ wrote:
    Yeah personally I wouldn't bother with Surround headphones, they are just regular headphones with a decoder box, so yet another box between you and the console

Yeah, because with your normal 5.1 surround sound speaker system, that doesn't put another box between you and the console, does it? ;-)

/facepalm

We are talking Headphones not surround systems. so you've missed my face.

I've tested many types and they are alright in general but to be honest they just don't work, you can't get true surround with headphones, it's a skull thing.

If you want some get them, but don't expect it to sound surround, it sounds nice and wide but as I said it's wierd, something cannot literally pass behind your head like with normal rear speakers.

• OllyJ 25 Oct 2008 21:55:22 3,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    I bought some surround headphones which were supposed to be pretty good. Forget the name but they were about 60-80 quid and sounded not good. Boxy and the sub rang like a bell, very wierd. Also the ear cushions weren't very good and made my head sweat.

I sent them back and bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 which are amazing and crap all over the sound quality of the 5-1s.

High quality stereo sound makes a better job of immersing your in the audio of a game than low quality 5-1 headphones. They don't have the mic though but I just hung the 360 headset around my neck.

Yes they are great headphones, I use DT770 at work sometimes listening to hours of speech and I forget i'm wearing them, that's very good advice, go for decent stereo headphones!!
  • Deleted user 25 October 2008 22:15:28
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 October 2008 22:26:16
    well its a toss up between the Tritton AX360 Dolby Digital 5.1 headphones at 89.98 (can't find them cheaper?) or the SONY MDR7506 Studio Monitor Stereo Headphones at 78.00.

If I use the proberly higher quailty Stereo headphones I will have no choice but to plug them into the TVs output (+ my TV defults to "voice" in the audio options when headphones are plugged in and can't be changed) .. If I use the surround sound headphones I can plug them into the optical out on the ps3 and bypass the TV alltogether..

With this in mind I think i am going to go for the Tritton AX360's...

Now the price.. There on Amazon for 89.98 + 5 delivery.. anyone know of anywhere else I can pick these up cheaper? I notcied in the EG review last year the price was quoted as 79..

Thanks for helping me make my mind up guys :)

EDIT:
    ok are these, the Sharkoon X-Tatic headphones basically just re-badged AX360's?.. If so there slightly cheaper.
  • Deleted user 25 October 2008 23:01:33
    Think i might just import these bastards!.. 240.. *gulp*..
  • Deleted user 26 October 2008 01:17:38
    Got these in the end, 7.1 surround sound made espeically for the ps3 :) cost $422 (265.19).. pretty expensive, but then about the same as I would have spent on a surround sound system and they will be replacing the need for one so..

I'l write up a review for them when they arrive in around 10 days incase anyone else is intrested.
  • OutpostCommand 26 Oct 2008 01:36:17 366 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ill just recommend what I have on my PC:
    A pair of ATH-AD700 headphones.
    I personally think they are absolute rapesauce.

Any sound which comes out of them feels so...natural. They could do with about perhaps 5% more bass, but im just nitpicking.
    Fantastic headphones and bloody comfortable too. They dont sit on your ear, but clamp around it, so dont worry about your ears feeling like theyve been raped after 2-3 hours.

Here is an old thread I posted on OCUK looking for a decent can set.
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=12520108#post12520108
    Give it a browse.

These are open-headphones though, which mean...
    a)at louder volumes, its easy to hear what your listening to within ~4m
    b)you will not be isolated from external sound

The advantage of this is slightly higher quality sound though.

If you want sound-isolation, then the ATH-A700s should do the trick.

The 700 series is a well regarded and recommended series by many audiophiles. Again, I very strongly recommend them.

Price ?
    I got mine for 80 including postage off Amazon
  • OllyJ 26 Oct 2008 08:03:03 3,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    justanotherdave wrote:
    Got these in the end, 7.1 surround sound made espeically for the ps3 :) cost $422 (265.19).. pretty expensive, but then about the same as I would have spent on a surround sound system and they will be replacing the need for one so..

I'l write up a review for them when they arrive in around 10 days incase anyone else is intrested.

they don't replace the need for a proper surround sound set up!!!!

You are not getting surround like you would with the speakers as sounds cannot pass behind or in front (it does a good job of it but it's not perfect), it will sound great and it will give the feeling of surround, I doubt you will be dissapointed but if you want a true surround experince do not cross getting a proper system in the future!!!
  • OllyJ 26 Oct 2008 08:05:03 3,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Plus I still think a standard decoder with Dolby headphone and a pair of decent heaphones would have been money better spent.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2008 14:11:15
    I looked into the dolby headphone setup + standard headphones and there seemed to be 3 headphone only decoders avaliable on the market, two of which came with headphones i didn't want and didn't review very well either and the 3rd one is pretty hard to get hold of and every version except the jap version runs on AAA batteries that last only 3 or 4 hours a go, nightmare!.. none of them decoded 7.1 or HD audio for blu-ray either, only 5.1 and I also wanted a wireless setup and none of the dolby headphone options i looked into were wireless. The new Sony's do 7.1 and HD decoding for blu-ray and have a game mode designed and tested by Sony espeically for the PS3. Also I belive they actually have 4 or so speakers in each phone so.. would in theory beable to seperate the audio better than a dolby headphone setup using a standard pair of headphones?..

Also, I'd love to get a surround sound system! but I like to play my games with the vol turned up and beacuse of were i live (neigbours to the side and directly above), I think it would course more trouble than it was worth! Also my gaming room is pretty small so I wouldn't beable to place the speakers as far apart as they would have been designed to be..

anyway, I'l make a small review somewhere once i have them as It seems from my research that there is little information about these phones outside of Japan... really need to find an instruction manual in English too!.. or an online one I can copy/paste/translate!
  • THFourteen 26 Oct 2008 14:14:32 33,616 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    how about the turtle beach ones arent they any good?
  • OllyJ 27 Oct 2008 07:54:07 3,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    justanotherdave wrote:
    I looked into the dolby headphone setup + standard headphones and there seemed to be 3 headphone only decoders avaliable on the market, two of which came with headphones i didn't want and didn't review very well either and the 3rd one is pretty hard to get hold of and every version except the jap version runs on AAA batteries that last only 3 or 4 hours a go, nightmare!.. none of them decoded 7.1 or HD audio for blu-ray either, only 5.1 and I also wanted a wireless setup and none of the dolby headphone options i looked into were wireless. The new Sony's do 7.1 and HD decoding for blu-ray and have a game mode designed and tested by Sony espeically for the PS3. Also I belive they actually have 4 or so speakers in each phone so.. would in theory beable to seperate the audio better than a dolby headphone setup using a standard pair of headphones?..

Also, I'd love to get a surround sound system! but I like to play my games with the vol turned up and beacuse of were i live (neigbours to the side and directly above), I think it would course more trouble than it was worth! Also my gaming room is pretty small so I wouldn't beable to place the speakers as far apart as they would have been designed to be..

anyway, I'l make a small review somewhere once i have them as It seems from my research that there is little information about these phones outside of Japan... really need to find an instruction manual in English too!.. or an online one I can copy/paste/translate!

Yeah as I said I think you'll be more than happy, they sound nice and "wide" and you do have an illusion of things sounding "almost" behind you if you squint your ears!

The thing is, they could have a million speakers in each ear but it won't ever chang the fact that you have a massive bit of bone and blood and skin between the other one, they work kind of by phasing the signal (sending different amounts to the left and the right) it can trick the brain into what it actually hears.

It is very clever but I still say you would have been better off getting a decent pair of cans and spent the other 150 on some games!!!
  • Deleted user 6 November 2008 22:34:52
    recived these headphones today (after another 27 import duty taking the price to around 275!) ... but they are good, watched Sunshine on Blu-ray and played a bit of Wipeout HD and Deadspace.. The headphones kinda make it sound like the sound is coming from a distance away rather than right on your ear and the surround sound (although obvus not as good as a speaker setup) works very well indeed. they accept a 5.1 or 7.1 DD or DTS signal as well as prologic and a two channel stereo mode (switching between the 2 channel mode and surround sound really shows the difference they are making!) Im glad I have them as I didn't have the choice of a speaker setup (room in a shared house!) but they are very expensive for what they are, if they come to the uk market hopefully they will be a bit cheaper (around the 149 - 199 mark) then I would say they would be worth it... If your not put off by the price though then I would recomend them :)
  • coastal 6 Nov 2008 23:03:02 5,383 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got a set of Gainward 5.1 headphones. Pretty old now but i reckon they're good for FPS games at least. A friend reckons they're lacking base but i couldn't notice.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• coastal 6 Nov 2008 23:05:42 5,383 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    whilst all the audiophiles are in one room, is there a wireless kit i can use to plug my decent pair of cans into? I don't want a wireless set - just the thing the headphones plug into.

• Deleted user 7 November 2008 02:45:55
    Cant you use a bluetooth adaptor that might work?
  • asphaltcowboy 7 Nov 2008 11:03:31 5,143 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got some Speedlink Medusas, they're good but I'm only getting surround from my PC at the moment. Thinking of buying some of these though :D Combines surround sound AND xbox headset sound! Anyone used them?
  • KingOfSpain 7 Nov 2008 11:11:54 5,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    asphaltcowboy wrote:
    I've got some Speedlink Medusas, they're good but I'm only getting surround from my PC at the moment. Thinking of buying some of these though :D Combines surround sound AND xbox headset sound! Anyone used them?

Is it not possible to put your headset sound through the cans anyway. Simply go to the voice settings in the guide and choose the option for voices to come through the tv. Then if you have your headphones connected via optical it should work. (The 360 thinks the headphones are the tv speakers.)

or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
  • coastal 7 Nov 2008 11:12:08 5,383 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    it seems there's bluetooth kits to plug regular headphones into but nothing at the other end - some sort of bluetooth audio output dongle.

found one - but at 50 is a bit steep for a wire replacement
    Transmita II

• yegon 7 Nov 2008 11:15:38 5,300 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    justanotherdave wrote:

EDIT:
    ok are these, the Sharkoon X-Tatic headphones basically just re-badged AX360's?.. If so there slightly cheaper.

I've had those exact ones for a year or two now, very good. I'm pretty sure you're correct about the rebadging, I've seen them flogged under several different brands.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous