Star Trek Page 113

• Page

of 118 First / Last

• MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 17 Nov 2016 19:46:46 46,520 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've been watching Enterprise for the first time recently. Midway through Season 3 now... And if this season is anything to go by no wonder it was cancelled. God damn, it's bad.
  • Load_2.0 17 Nov 2016 20:00:55 24,883 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hah oh yeah, they flashed back to this classic moment of Starfleet diplomacy in action.

https://youtu.be/qIW3qvmR7Pw
  • nickthegun 17 Nov 2016 20:03:52 70,139 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rodpad wrote:
    melonfarmer wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    It's just bullshit. It's not as if liked the character of Tasha a great lot, but being killed in that woeful episode is downright insulting.
    And right at the start too before there's any reason to care about anything in the context of the episode

I guess he's a very effective troll but the episode is awful.

Using the same set for every alien landscape in this series is pretty cheap. Everything looks like TOS/Lost in Space on it.
    Didn't they kind of self criticize their own episode in which Tasha died because they kept referring to her meaningless death in later episodes
    That's definitely the vibe I got from those references.
    Mega late but: Denise Crosby actually asked to be written out. She realised her and worf characters overlapped, his was the better one and at that stage her character had already devolved into just standing around in the background rather than being one of the principle cast as she was promised. Thats, in addition to her assuming she would go onto bigger and better things led to her quitting, rather than being written out by the powers that be.

Fact of the day: Denise Crosby is Bing Crosbys granddaughter
  • nickthegun 17 Nov 2016 20:05:42 70,139 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    I've been watching Enterprise for the first time recently. Midway through Season 3 now... And if this season is anything to go by no wonder it was cancelled. God damn, it's bad.
    Thats when it hit its stride. The first two seasons are pretty much the reason I have a pavlovian retching response to sci-fi plots that revolve around time travel.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Nov 2016 15:39:39 2,885 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finished TNG

First couple of seasons blighted by having leftover scraps of the original series, really dated, lacking coherence, kind of racist, characters still trying to find their feet. Series 3-6, really good, characters come into their own, lovely cosy sense of familiarity to everything and some nice world building. Series 7, tries to tie lose ends that it really shouldn't, revisits ideas from the first two series that probably should have been best forgotten with some cool bits of series 3-6 storytelling mixed in.

Hardly a revelation but its all the strength is in the characters and world building rather than the individual episodes.

Biggest surprises were how much detail I know about the Next Generation universe that isn't explicitly shown on screen. And how little the major races actually feature - Borg only about four or five times, Klingons and Romulans disappearing for whole seasons.

Its such a shame that the TNG movies are one good film, two stories that are basically just tv episodes with bigger budgets and one ok film. The TOS movies are so good and develop the characters and universe much better than their source series and then the TNG cast end up wasted on such uncinematic outings. Did they really not take up the option for an eighth season to focus on the films?

Time to start DS9 . . .

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 15:41:51 18-11-2016
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Nov 2016 18:37:58 2,885 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Also, for such a long running show All Good Things must be as good a finale as there could be for TNG.

That final card game :')
  • Razz 18 Nov 2016 18:45:51 63,134 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    But... T'Pol's bum.
  • Dirtbox 18 Nov 2016 18:54:45 88,486 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Thats when it hit its stride. The first two seasons are pretty much the reason I have a pavlovian retching response to sci-fi plots that revolve around time travel.
    Also despite how weak the show is, it's a million times better than any of the other treks at that point in any of their runs.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Nov 2016 18:58:37 2,885 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Depending how things go I'm planning on DS9, Voyager and then Enterprise ... lucky for me Netflix makes it so easy to skip Enterprise's horrible theme tune, so that's one check in favour it has compared to when I tried watching the original broadcast
  • Deleted user 18 November 2016 18:59:29
    What did it for me was the fucking theme music. Some fucking Michael Bolton nonsense
  • Deleted user 18 November 2016 18:59:44
    Jinx
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Nov 2016 19:02:21 2,885 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's so shit
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Nov 2016 19:11:29 2,885 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh, another TNG observation ... death by exploding console is a lot less common among the bridge and engineering extras than I remembered
  • Deleted user 18 November 2016 19:12:20
    They put fuses in them in the directors cut, too many actors were dying
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Nov 2016 19:30:19 2,885 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It seems like a fairly critical design fault that the internal command consoles would be so susceptible to exploding whenever the ship receives external damage
  • DrStrangelove 18 Nov 2016 19:35:44 10,628 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

Since I started a career in engineering, I can't help but think the bridge might be improved by installing non-eplosive consoles
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Nov 2016 19:55:00 2,885 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That behind the scenes thing Jonathan Frakes presents at the end of season 7 is absolutely 90s as fuck
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 18 Nov 2016 20:15:50 46,520 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    But... T'Pol's bum.
    I just finished watching that episode. You could tell they were gasping for ratings just going by how often she's in her tiny pyjamas.

That fucking theme tune though. It was cheesy anyway, they they put the beat from The Littlest Hobo under it. Makes it even more upbeat when the series is taking a dark turn :D
  • Deleted user 18 November 2016 22:53:14
    Imagine how many times the singer did that fist clench thing to convey his emotion when putting down the vocal track
  • ajspurs 18 Nov 2016 23:22:15 8 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah the them music for Enterprise was just horrible. As soon as you hear that "It's been a long road" it's just like eurgh...

I'm on season 5 of Voyager at the moment and am enjoying it so much. I don't know about others but I really like Janeway as captain!
  • DanB24 18 Nov 2016 23:36:10 4,938 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Also, for such a long running show All Good Things must be as good a finale as there could be for TNG.

That final card game :')

:cry:
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Nov 2016 11:20:05 2,885 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I guess it's me coming straight off the back of TNG but poor Sisko really feels like he's getting second prize when he finds out that he's Space Jesus
  • DanB24 19 Nov 2016 15:41:18 4,938 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well every single "Bajor/ religion" episode was extremely tedious so you can't blame him. :lol:
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Nov 2016 18:35:51 2,885 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I know I've not seen every DS9 episode before but memory tells me I might be hanging on through religious and Quark's crazy scheme episodes until Sisko shaves his head and grows a beard
  • Dirtbox 19 Nov 2016 19:18:21 88,486 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can't wait for your next installment of common knowledge.

On the edge of my seat here.
  • DanB24 19 Nov 2016 19:23:28 4,938 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the moment it got properly good was the episode when they 1st properly encounter the Jem'Hadar. The final episode of series 2.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Nov 2016 19:27:09 2,885 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I can't wait for your next installment of common knowledge.

On the edge of my seat here.
    Just wait til I start have opinions about a certain tailor
  • Daryoon 20 Nov 2016 02:00:42 5,633 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I started rewatching DS9 last year, and I actually enjoy the Bajor episodes a lot more now than I did in the 90s. They feel more relevant these days. The whole series does, really.
  • drhickman1983 20 Nov 2016 09:22:19 4,586 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I rather a like a lot of the early Bajor-centric episodes. The ones that deal with the occupation are often decent-to-good (Past Prologue or Duet, for example), and whilst the emmisary thing was a bit iffy some aspects of the religious stuff were interesting; Winn's political machinations made her an interesting antagonist.

The worst early episodes are the ones that don't tie into anything, If Wishes Were Horses and Move Along Home are shit. Though If Wishes Were Horses did give us the iconic baseball.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 09:23:05 20-11-2016
  • CosmicFuzz 23 Nov 2016 13:40:18 31,784 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    First casting announced for Discovery - Michelle Yeoh

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/788489-michelle-yeoh-star-trek-discovery

Guessing she's the captain?

Edited by CosmicFuzz at 13:40:34 23-11-2016
  • Page

of 118 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.