Breaking Bad Page 87

• Page

of 95 First / Last

• Deleted user 6 October 2013 08:22:50
    I thought it was pretty clear the nazis were meant to be generic stereotypical no-need-for-a-backstory baddies. I mean it was a gang of nazis ffs! And the reason for that being they didn't need new in depth characters because the final season was all about Walt discovering that he was the baddie in all of this. Taking them out was just another one of his schemes which he has pulled off several times in the past (mexicans etc), it just so happens that this falls on the last episode and it enabled Walt and Jessies final confrontation.
  • M83J01P97 6 Oct 2013 08:56:28 6,659 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loved the ending, but did anyone else feel the episode needed a few extra scenes after Walt's death to show how some of the other main characters deal with the aftermath?

I don't mean a Six Feet Under style series of flash forwards or anything as that wouldn't be in keeping with the tone of the show, but after the devastation Walt brought to his immediate family it might have been nice to see them finally be able to move on.

It's probably me just eager for more of the show... but I just felt a little epilogue sequence would have been the icing on the already wonderful cake.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Oct 2013 09:21:42 7,403 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I didn't really need any extra scenes. Pretty much all the loose ends had been tied up, although I would have probably liked to know what happened to Brock. Poor kid.
  • Dirtbox 6 Oct 2013 09:56:36 78,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    I thought it was pretty clear the nazis were meant to be generic stereotypical no-need-for-a-backstory baddies. I mean it was a gang of nazis ffs! And the reason for that being they didn't need new in depth characters because the final season was all about Walt discovering that he was the baddie in all of this. Taking them out was just another one of his schemes which he has pulled off several times in the past (mexicans etc), it just so happens that this falls on the last episode and it enabled Walt and Jessies final confrontation.
    Without some sort of attachment or character, killing them off feels as dramatically empty as discarding a loo roll tube. Not that I expect everyone to agree, but for me the scene where they all got gunned down was about as intense as popping to the kitchen to put the kettle on.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Mola_Ram 6 Oct 2013 10:09:28 7,403 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It was satisfying on a sort of visceral, "yeah, those guys really got what they deserved" level, which you'd get in any sort of film or TV show where Nazis are baddies.

But that's not something I watch Breaking Bad for. As I said, it didn't really feel like they belonged in the show. It's not a huge flaw or anything, but there you go.
  • Tom_Servo 6 Oct 2013 10:55:38 17,962 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I guess there was a nice feeling that they were getting it for killing Hank and Andrea (although I don't think Walt knew about the latter).

On another note, was anyone else more moved by Andrea's death than Hank's? The Andrea one was really shocking, and Jesse's reaction. :'( I wonder what happened to Brock. Did they kill him as well but we just didn't see it? It's not like Todd had any problems killing kids.

It's hard to know how to feel about Jesse's ending. Yeah he escaped, but the impact of everything that has happened is probably going to be too much for him.
  • Tom_Servo 6 Oct 2013 11:53:32 17,962 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I hope Huell is alright.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Oct 2013 11:55:42 7,403 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No, he'll be in that room for a very long time.

Also, I don't care about Saul, I want a Badger and Skinny Pete spinoff.
  • Tom_Servo 6 Oct 2013 12:11:12 17,962 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love Bob Odenkirk, but I'm not sure I can get behind a Saul spinoff. Have they said what it would be like?
  • Mola_Ram 6 Oct 2013 12:13:02 7,403 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Not much info apart from it being a prequel.
  • Iain815 6 Oct 2013 16:14:45 412 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Saul spin-off will be "dark", apparently.

I'm rewatching season 3 on the Irish channel here. Jesse was such a total dick.
  • Chopsen 6 Oct 2013 17:02:44 16,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Without some sort of attachment or character, killing them off feels as dramatically empty as discarding a loo roll tube. Not that I expect everyone to agree, but for me the scene where they all got gunned down was about as intense as popping to the kitchen to put the kettle on.
    Absolutely. This is why Gus being killed off at the end of season 4 was way more affecting an ending than this. I appreciate that that this additional series ties up some lose ends (though it creates some as well) and there were some good individual scenes and performances. The Nazis were some of the laziest baddies in the history of fiction ever though.
  • CharlieStCloud 6 Oct 2013 17:15:21 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was talking to the only actual HUMAN BEING I know who actually watched Breaking Bad this afternoon and upon reflection, it was slightly odd-ish to conclude that my absolute favourite moment during the last episode is the sun basked room showing Jesse making his little wooden box.

... it was a touching moment; the (calmness) eye of the storm that was brewing.

The camera work was silly good at times too - made 'simple' scenes all the more effective and tense.

Going to miss B.B. more than I expected, me thinks!

: (

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 17:16:02 06-10-2013
  • Tom_Servo 6 Oct 2013 17:22:13 17,962 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I didn't realise that wooden box was a callback to the box Jesse made in school and sold for weed that he speaks about in his drug addict meeting.
  • Immaterial 6 Oct 2013 19:07:26 1,379 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Now it's finished, I've just started to watch the whole thing for the very first time. Slightly surprised to see that the first series is all 2008...

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• CharlieStCloud 6 Oct 2013 19:20:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tom_Servo

That's why I loved that scene.

: )

... the amount of careful thought gone into this series is mind boggling!
  • Deleted user 6 October 2013 19:24:55
    Honestly thought the scene with the box was a bit contrived. Was waiting for it to end.
  • CharlieStCloud 6 Oct 2013 19:40:01 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Honestly thought the scene with the box was a bit contrived. Was waiting for it to end.
    Only you, eh?

*tuts*
  • localnotail 6 Oct 2013 21:09:20 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really? It seemed a perfect daydream for Jesse to have while he went about making the highest quality meth yet recorded. Even in his enslaved torment he is still crafting with pride.

As for the Nazis, I'm glad they didn't give them any polish or engaging character. They were just nasty little psychotic thugs, who got lucky. And then not so lucky.

Edited by localnotail at 21:10:22 06-10-2013

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Zizoo 6 Oct 2013 22:09:25 8,378 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought Todd was more than just a generic Nazi... Unless you aren't grouping him with them.
  • Deleted user 6 October 2013 22:13:01
    Great end to a great series.

The wire>firefly>boardwalk empire>band of brothers>stargate sg1>breaking bad>game of thrones.

My order for epic tv series.
  • RobAnybody 6 Oct 2013 23:21:15 894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:

Absolutely. This is why Gus being killed off at the end of season 4 was way more affecting an ending than this. I appreciate that that this additional series ties up some lose ends (though it creates some as well) and there were some good individual scenes and performances. The Nazis were some of the laziest baddies in the history of fiction ever though.
    Every time the Nazis showed up I was bored senseless - they were just cardboard cut-out characters and pretty stupid to boot. I'm surprised that Gilligan went from a smart, fascinating character like Gus to a bunch of brainless morons with about as much depth as a puddle.

Edited by RobAnybody at 09:08:44 07-10-2013
  • localnotail 6 Oct 2013 23:36:55 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why must bad guys be charismatic? Most of them aren't, IRL.

• Chopsen 6 Oct 2013 23:39:26 16,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not about being charismatic. It's about being interesting. Also, it's not a documentary.
  • localnotail 7 Oct 2013 00:11:09 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They were roaches. Jackals. Opportunistic hatemongers.

They admired Heisenberg and wanted him to think them equal, hence the affront at the suggestion that they had partnered with Jesse. But they were simply psychopaths. As such I thought it an honest depiction. We've had a variety of adversaries, these might be the dullest, but there was always the chance that they might not be as stupid as they looked. They were capable of great evil, but they underestimated Walt in the end.

The one thing all the way through this whole series is that I was almost always surprised by what transpired. The ending continued this theme. The NeoNazis were just one thread of many to be finished off, before Walter could rest.

@zizoo Todd was a bit more interesting than his uncle, being more interested in others, but still had that moral vacuum at his core like the rest of them.

Edited by localnotail at 00:11:57 07-10-2013

• localnotail 7 Oct 2013 00:33:08 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Feels weird not having it to look forward to anymore :(

• Deleted user 7 October 2013 00:58:46
    I'd agree that the Nazis were slightly lazily written and just thrown in as a "Who can we have who'll look evil next to Walt, and quickly?" kind of thing, but ultimately the finale was always going to be about Walt and his empire, not Walt vs another Big Bad. If anything, the big showdown events was his confrontation with Jesse, the Nazis were just a McGuffin (sorry gray) to get them into a situation like that.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Oct 2013 01:04:24 7,403 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For Nazis they sure didn't seem all that interested in racial purity and such.
  • Page

of 95 First / Last