Countdown to Unemployment thread Page 76

• Page

of 81 First / Last

• Rodney 18 Jul 2012 09:39:14 1,681 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No wasn't sales related. It's a project management position for a bank.

I've just never heard the word used in that context before - I kind of guessed that was what she meant but it wasn't entirely clear.

I found out that I didn't have the exact skills they were looking for but I do have other valuable skills that would add a lot to the team. I'm in the final two so I am meeting the Director on Friday for a 'coffee'. I don't drink coffee - will I look unsophisticated if I order a chocolate milk?

It is such a tough job market in Brisbane at the moment. I will be incredibly luck if I get this job. It's the first job I've applied for after being made redundant and the pay is better than my previous job. I'm trying not to get my hopes up though...
  • Deleted user 23 July 2012 16:14:21
    Just got my redundancy date - 23rd August, which is conveniently when I move into my new house I just fucking bought. Crazy considering we just had the Queen's Award ceremony.

Been looking at Graphic Design jobs again and the wages round here are pitiful, I'll be lucky to get 18k, Pre-press isn't much better and IT jobs are few and far between.

Life has been shitting on me from a great height recently :(
  • RedSparrows 23 Jul 2012 16:17:26 20,747 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :( You'd earn more than me on 18k! Consolation for you.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2012 16:20:27
    Just got an interview for a job teaching adults wanting to get back into education...
  • Deleted user 23 July 2012 16:51:31
    RedSparrows wrote:
    :( You'd earn more than me on 18k! Consolation for you.
    Well I'm 31 with a 175k mortgage if that helps? :D
  • RedSparrows 23 Jul 2012 16:53:05 20,747 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A little.

Plus I work part-time.

/sidles off

Good luck! Shit situation.

Edited by RedSparrows at 16:53:22 23-07-2012
  • fletch7100 23 Jul 2012 17:14:04 6,158 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Countdown clock, under 5 months to my redundancy
  • Khanivor 23 Jul 2012 18:11:40 39,866 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Timing is classic there Crispy :(
  • skuzzbag 28 Jul 2012 22:49:30 5,482 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looking at the IT public sector jobs that have been sent through and it's pretty miserable stuff with the wages these days. One job listed two certificates required and in-depth knowledge of AD (I'm assuming by in-depth they mean an architect rather than someone who can unlock locked accounts!) - all for 20K

Bargain that for someone. Makes the years required to get certificates and learning to creat well designed AD structures all worth while.

I can actually get paid that and more working as an order picker at the place I work at.

My brother in-law gets paid 22K to drive buses.

Edited by skuzzbag at 22:49:45 28-07-2012
  • jablonski 31 Jul 2012 14:30:26 1,708 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Just got my redundancy date - 23rd August, which is conveniently when I move into my new house I just fucking bought. Crazy considering we just had the Queen's Award ceremony.

Been looking at Graphic Design jobs again and the wages round here are pitiful, I'll be lucky to get 18k, Pre-press isn't much better and IT jobs are few and far between.

Life has been shitting on me from a great height recently :(
    Mate, I'm 35 and a graphic designer who got the chop 3 years ago.
    Admittedly I only apply for a job or two a month, but I've not had an interview in 18 months, and I live in London.
    I've had to go freelance just to keep my rent paid.

It's a young man's game. No one wants to pay what people of our age need to earn, and they want the social media savvy youngsters on board too, rather than us 'unethusiastic' older designers.
    If you haven't got CSS, Wordpress, Java etc etc - then you are further at a disadvantage.

I've found it ridiculously ageist!
    But probably because I was a design manager for a few years, and I now fall between that and a normal designer now because of my freelance. I scare everybody off as they think I'll be after their jobs!
  • KayJay 2 Aug 2012 14:08:31 5,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    KayJay wrote:
    "Redundancies are a tragedy always, I wouldn't wish it on my men or your men. Or women, present company accepted"

Never though I'd utter those words and be on the end of it... /o\

13 years, man and boy. Can someone give me some sympathy please.
    9 months since I was made redundant. I have just received a permanent contract from the company I have been contracting at for around the last 6 months.
    Almost 13k more than my last salary, plus a 10% bonus. It's pretty green over here chaps. Don't be afraid and keep your chins up. :)

/lets out large sign of relief

Edited by KayJay at 14:09:48 02-08-2012
  • Deleted user 6 August 2012 15:23:09
    So, two weeks from redundancy and on my reduced day off I get this :D

Have fun trying to do my job :D

Edited by CrispyXUK at 15:31:33 06-08-2012
  • Deleted user 17 August 2012 22:03:01
    Some positive news as it was my last day, got my previous job back in graphic design as I couldn't get anything quick enough with my redundancy pay, so happy days \o/
  • Deleted user 17 August 2012 22:53:08
    Congrats crispy! My contract meant to end next week but they extended it to the end of the year :)
  • Deleted user 17 August 2012 22:56:02
    Sweet! New postition isn't ideal but it's a great company and I did spot that they now have a massive server rack so I may try and work my way into IT/Systems support
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Aug 2012 23:03:08 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No date yet... but soon.

I'm excited about the opportunity but terrified of getting nothing.
  • Deleted user 17 August 2012 23:04:22
    Get looking now - I have so much stuff that's in "pipeline" and you may get to a point where you can't wait.
  • fergal_oc 7 Sep 2012 14:14:26 2,763 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well after last week being told I was fine, despite some downsizing, today I walk in and unsurprisingly I'm told I'm off. I've got 7weeks at least but still meh!
  • Nitrous 2 Oct 2012 00:41:13 239 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9579592/The-JJB-stores-Sports-Direct-has-bought.html

As u may have guessed the store I worked in did not make the cut. It came as a bit of a shock as we thought we'd be ok but when somone from kpmg turns up at around 11am and instructs you to close the doors your going home what more can u say or do....

DW might look into picking up some of the stores according to an itv news report but what they might b is anyone's guess.

I guess its a case of saying... Hello job centre 1st thing in the morning.
  • RyanDS 8 Oct 2012 12:19:54 8,694 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just handed in notice at my current role. Taking something for more money and closer to home.

New job is "proper" management where I have a full team of people working for me, so it's all rather exciting and rather daunting...
  • fletch7100 8 Oct 2012 12:28:20 6,158 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Month and a half to redundancy. Sheeeet going to spend the first part of next year completing my Xbox backlog, gym, various educational courses and a holiday somewhere
  • Deleted user 14 November 2012 10:13:36
    Secured my dream job. Corporate and commercial law, brilliant firm, nicest offices I've ever been in, benefits and career potential is super tits and I got on with the partners like old best friends. Great news!... Problem is it doesn't start until 2014 and my current contract ends at the end of the year. My problem right now is finding a job in the meantime. All of a sudden temporary jobs have all but vanished and I don't want to lie about my commitment to employers. Kinda not sure what to do. Anyone else been in this position?
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Nov 2012 12:41:16 16,221 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am now, officially, redundant. I guess this gives me time to do DIY but instead I'm going to just sit here and feel depressed about it all for a while. Roll on the Christmas cheer.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Madder-Max 26 Nov 2012 12:58:06 11,565 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In the pub/ restaurant where I work as assistant manager I am finding that people I am employing (zero hour contracts - part time). Are being advised to stay on the dole and go through some back to work scheme in cardiff. I have lost 2 staff members to this. They had jobs (which they found themselves) but were actively advised to leave and go back on the dole. Anyone else heard of this shit and anyone know where or whom this can be reported to? Surely its illegal or something?

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Nasty 26 Nov 2012 13:05:10 4,726 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thats front page Daily Mail fodder right there :)

Failing that, MP (especially if the local council is run by the opposition).
  • Madder-Max 26 Nov 2012 13:28:47 11,565 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fucking right. The workshy underclass. I can see it all over the front page lol!

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Deleted user 26 November 2012 13:31:09
    mowgli wrote:
    Secured my dream job. Corporate and commercial law, brilliant firm, nicest offices I've ever been in, benefits and career potential is super tits and I got on with the partners like old best friends. Great news!... Problem is it doesn't start until 2014 and my current contract ends at the end of the year. My problem right now is finding a job in the meantime. All of a sudden temporary jobs have all but vanished and I don't want to lie about my commitment to employers. Kinda not sure what to do. Anyone else been in this position?
    have an interview this week for a job that I really really want. Would be perfect in the interim until the above. But how do I approach the job in waiting question? Or do I just outright lie?
  • Nasty 26 Nov 2012 13:32:49 4,726 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lie
  • RedSparrows 26 Nov 2012 13:49:12 20,747 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sadly, you lie.

Well done on the dream job!
  • DaM 26 Nov 2012 14:03:28 12,603 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Totally lie! The other lot can't expect you to sit about on your arse for a year, unless they are paying you for it!
  • Page

of 81 First / Last