Upgrading PS3 HDD Page 7

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Flying_Pig 23 Sep 2009 13:23:23 11,488 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know you can back up your saves to a USB stick/memory stick, but I'm unsure of the mechanics of doing so (I keep meaning to do this myself).

Any game updates/PSN downloads will probably have to be re-downloaded onto your new machine.
  • Zomoniac 23 Sep 2009 13:27:18 7,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    breedob wrote:
    I'm considering swapping my 60 gig for a slim as got the ylod and sony sent me a reurb. I've heard a few people say their refurb only lasted a few months so I'm a bit edgy about it.

Wondering if I can back up all my game updates and save games to a memory stick pro duo and restore to the new slim by connecting a psp?

You can do game saves individually by going to them, pressing triangle and choosing copy, but some saves can't be copied this way. And your updates almost certainly won't fit on a memory stick. Best thing to do is to get an external HDD or borrow one, connect it and choose the full system backup from the system menu, which will do a carbon copy of your HDD including non-copyable saves, then connect HDD to new PS3 and choose the restore system backup option and your new PS3 will become identical to your old one.
  • breedob 23 Sep 2009 13:31:12 491 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah its just the fact that I had to download all updates for killzone, lbp and install resi evil 5 and it took some time. I can't be arsed doing it all again.

As long as I don't lose my saves again. I suppose that's the main thing!
  • breedob 23 Sep 2009 13:36:19 491 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Zomoniac - Unfortunately I don't have an external HDD or know anyone with one so can't do that. I'll just have to copy my save games to a memory stick and put them on the new slim.

Cheers for the help! :-)
  • GreatWhiteLee 23 Sep 2009 14:01:49 179 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    word of warning, i had a 60gb original that i upgraded to 320gb and subsequently died on me. I bought a slim with a view to getting my 60gb fixed, backing up the HDD and putting the 320 into my nice new slim and restoring from backup.

However, the slim refuses to play nicely with the HDD, saying it can't find the firmware 3.01 on it (despite it being on there). i've tried everything, including a full format of the drive on PS3 (18hours+!!!) and it still won't have it.

i've restored to the 120gb in the slim, but it doesn't copy across d/l games, Home (including avatars), photo library, Folding@home etc.

it's not without its problems upgrading to a slim!
  • KayJay 23 Sep 2009 14:08:35 5,290 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Could you just remove all the "Game Data" (Just above the "Game Saves" Folder on the XMB)...
    These are all the updates you get when your disk loads up and says "Update Required" it also includes the games that install data onto your system to help the game run a little better. These are not essential as you can just update when you like or install next time you play that particular game.

I am pretty sure that's what takes up most of the space on the "System Backup".

So delete all that and you could probably do a "System Backup" on a 2gb maybe 4gb USB flash.

Can anyone back this up? seems feasible to me?
  • X201 23 Sep 2009 14:16:20 15,741 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GreatWhiteLee wrote:
    word of warning, i had a 60gb original that i upgraded to 320gb and subsequently died on me. I bought a slim with a view to getting my 60gb fixed, backing up the HDD and putting the 320 into my nice new slim and restoring from backup.

However, the slim refuses to play nicely with the HDD, saying it can't find the firmware 3.01 on it (despite it being on there). i've tried everything, including a full format of the drive on PS3 (18hours+!!!) and it still won't have it.

Because the 320 is from another console it won't work straight away - it will have to be formatted by the PS3 (when its actually installed - not whilst it's in a drive caddy (only takes a few minutes, not 18 hours))

Do a backup of current Slim drive

Put the 320 gb drive in the console and get a memory stick ready
    Download the system firmware update file from Sony

The update data needs to be in a specific folder on your memory stick
    All folder names MUST be in capitals

Create a folder called PS3
    inside that create a folder called UPDATE

Then put the PUP file into that folder

Plug memory stick into PS3, turn on and follow instructions.

When finished, restore backup

Had exactly the same problem last night (Swapped 320gb from old PS3 and placed in Slim) Did the above and everything is now working fine.

• X201 23 Sep 2009 14:31:48 15,741 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    breedob wrote:
    @Zomoniac - Unfortunately I don't have an external HDD or know anyone with one so can't do that. I'll just have to copy my save games to a memory stick and put them on the new slim.

Cheers for the help! :-)

You create a backup of Console 1
    You swap the drive in console one for a bigger one
    When you restore the backup everything will be restored.

You create a backup of Console 1
    You restore the backup to a different console
    Some saves and some game data is restored some are not
    All store purchases will need to be re-downloaded.

The above were my experiences. Tied game saves/data may make things different for you.

I'd make a separate copy of your game save to be on the safe side.

• GreatWhiteLee 23 Sep 2009 15:22:47 179 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    GreatWhiteLee wrote:

Because the 320 is from another console it won't work straight away - it will have to be formatted by the PS3 (when its actually installed - not whilst it's in a drive caddy (only takes a few minutes, not 18 hours))

Do a backup of current Slim drive

Put the 320 gb drive in the console and get a memory stick ready
    Download the system firmware update file from Sony

The update data needs to be in a specific folder on your memory stick
    All folder names MUST be in capitals

Create a folder called PS3
    inside that create a folder called UPDATE

Then put the PUP file into that folder

Plug memory stick into PS3, turn on and follow instructions.

When finished, restore backup

Had exactly the same problem last night (Swapped 320gb from old PS3 and placed in Slim) Did the above and everything is now working fine.

I could hug you X201! i'll give that a go when i get home tonight :)
  • INSOMANiAC 24 Sep 2009 03:04:23 3,842 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Some of the bigger harddrives have trouble playing back bbc iplayer, my 500gb western digital scorpio blue has a slight freeze exactly every ten seconds and the hd light flashes, other people who have this, and the 320gb version have reported exactly the same

http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=62&thread.id=1564542&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• LHH 24 Sep 2009 08:26:29 79 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just stuck in a 320GB WD scorpio blue, haven't checked out the iplayer yet.

Edit : Report - BBC iplayer does exactly that, freeze every ten seconds or so.
  • KayJay 8 Oct 2009 14:38:45 5,290 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone tried or know of anyone trying one of these Solid State Drives in their PS3?

SSD @ Microdirect

Obviously the prices will need to come Down a touch and the storage space Up a little.

Any stats on load times and heat release (cant be much) etc..?
  • oldschoolsoviet 8 Oct 2009 17:32:48 5,549 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Supposedly best to wait at least another year for SSD. Still too many problems with de-fragmentation over the long term (cannae be fixed on SSD), and given all those installs......

Plus the question, do they work ?
  • Bombonera 26 Feb 2012 21:52:04 345 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've got a question guys. I've got an old PS3 with a 250GB hard drive, which hasn't been used for a while. I am just wondering, is it possible to use a PS3 hard drive in a desktop computer? I am running out of space on my PC and new hard drives are very pricey right now. I would like to take the 250gb out of the PS3 and use that as a short term solution for my computer basically.
  • KayJay 26 Feb 2012 22:25:38 5,290 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah just grab a caddy. They are just standard 2.5" HDD's.
  • D_arkTrooper 27 Feb 2012 10:04:55 1,348 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or you could use it internally providing your motherboard has SATA.You may need some kind of internal 2.5inch caddy though which will fit inside the standard 3.5inch hard drive bay.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• Deleted user 27 February 2012 11:34:35
    Aretak wrote:
    It'll work, but the PS3 doesn't take advantage of the extra speed.
    are you sure ?
  • X201 27 Feb 2012 11:39:17 15,741 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    Aretak wrote:
    It'll work, but the PS3 doesn't take advantage of the extra speed.
    are you sure ?
    Are you hoping he's changed his mind in the three years since he made that statement?
  • HiddenAway 31 Mar 2012 17:00:28 14,996 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, it looks like I'm about to run out of space on my HDD now. What's the general recommendation? I believe I have the 120GB PS3 Slim model so I'm looking at 500GB to completely future proof it. What speed should I be looking at?

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• mrpon 31 Mar 2012 17:01:55 29,561 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Article for you HA.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mrpon 31 Mar 2012 17:01:55 29,561 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• monkman76 30 Nov 2012 12:08:51 5,405 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone know if the iPlayer stuttering every 10 seconds issue still exists with WD HDDs?
  • TetsuZaemon 9 Dec 2012 20:52:10 27 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Two questions for you guys.

I recently upgraded the HDD in my 80GB fat to a 500GB - it's a Western Digital Scorpio Blue. Everything worked fine, the machine seems to agree with it, except... I just bought RAGE, and the texture pop-in is absolutely disgusting. Like, seriously noticeable. They don't load until you're right up close. I don't remember seeing such a problem highlighted in reviews I've read... Loading times are long too. Is this a problem with RAGE? Or could it be my new drive?

I'd try not to be paranoid, only I'm suspicious Far Cry 3 doesn't look as it should, either. It looked a lot less fizzly in the trailers, and I don't have the techie knowhow to discern if it's a problem with my kit.

Second question: If I wanted to replace my fattie with a Slim 160GB... could I just whip the 500GB HDD out, and stick it in the Slim, no problem?

EDIT: I assume this is what X201 was talking about.

Edited by TetsuZaemon at 21:14:38 09-12-2012
  • oldschoolsoviet 9 Dec 2012 21:25:22 5,549 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1) RAGE pop-in is a well known fact. As are the load times.

2)No. First thing a PS3 will do is format any new HDD placed in it. Drive will work, but it'll be wiped clean.
  • TetsuZaemon 11 Dec 2012 21:16:21 27 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Right. Thanks for that :)

So, I'd have to go through all the external hard drive malarkey. When I switched my 80 for the 500, I put the 80 in an enclosure, supposedly to use it as an external. It fits fine, but when I hook it up to the PS3 (or a PC for that matter), nothing happens. Absolutely nothing - at least on the computer end. The enclosure light comes on, and I can hear it spinning in there, I've got both ends of the Y-cable plugged into different ports... but no recognition.

Any suggestions?
  • oldschoolsoviet 11 Dec 2012 21:35:47 5,549 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's a formatting issue I think ? Because it's currently formatted to "be" a PS3 drive, the PC won't recognise it until you delete the partition and reformat it as a normal HDD.

Swissknife rings a bell, think that's what worked for me, perhaps the diskmgmt.msc command. Or look here, lots of methods suggested. I definitely know that external HDDs need to be formatted to FAT32 rather than NTFS.
  • TetsuZaemon 12 Dec 2012 19:49:54 27 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A formatting issue? Swissknife and all other methods I've seen tend to rely on the HDD being visible somewhere, which mine isn't :/ Not even in Disk Management - nowhere.

Is there something I should've done before I unscrewed the 80? I followed the usual procedure. The PS3 won't even recognise it as an external drive, when it's plugged into both front ports.
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Dec 2012 20:25:40 5,549 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Check the forum posts through the Google link. Lots of methods, some suggesting using HDD management programs, named in threads but I'm sure there's freeware/trial alternatives.

PS3 won't recognise it for the same reasons: It's currently a PS3 internal drive, which uses it's own secured propriety system. Otherwise we'd all have CFW'd PS3s by now.
  • X201 12 Dec 2012 20:33:48 15,741 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TetsuZaemon wrote:
    Right. Thanks for that :)

So, I'd have to go through all the external hard drive malarkey. When I switched my 80 for the 500, I put the 80 in an enclosure, supposedly to use it as an external. It fits fine, but when I hook it up to the PS3 (or a PC for that matter), nothing happens. Absolutely nothing - at least on the computer end. The enclosure light comes on, and I can hear it spinning in there, I've got both ends of the Y-cable plugged into different ports... but no recognition.

Any suggestions?
    Sounds similar to a problem I had when it sounded like the drive was running but the PC couldn't see it.
    The problem I had was that the drive caddy wasn't getting enough power from the USB, so I powered the drive from a different device while the data cable was in the PC.

Edited by X201 at 20:35:28 12-12-2012
  • TetsuZaemon 12 Dec 2012 21:48:55 27 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Powered it from a different device? So, what kind of gadget am I looking for? Some kind of USB wall socket?
  • Page

of 9 First / Last