Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Page 4

• Page

of 29 First / Last

• Nexus_6 28 May 2009 11:43:53 3,876 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thegamesthething wrote:
    Leo, there are Long Fangs, Hunters, Blood Claws, a couple of charaacters and Terminators on the webby, but a Space Wolves codex is on then way this year I think, so they are probably undergoing a re-vamp

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat1400014&rootCatGameStyle=

Space Wolves here.

Jesus, i was at the height of warhammer mania when the wolves were originally worked up. NOT the easiest army to paint for a young beginner.

Even now i would stick to standard models i think.

In the grim darkness of the far future is only escalating prices
  • Azazel 28 May 2009 11:44:30 726 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    I just put 450 worth of models in the GW website cart, got as far as putting in my card details then closed the page.

I'm getting better, but it's a long road ahead.

haha, I know this.

Stay strong man, it is a long road. And every day is a battle with yourself. With the love and support of family and friends you can beat your disease.
  • LeoliansBro 28 May 2009 11:48:31 43,671 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BINGO! One on the left.

Not sure why I put so much effort into that now...

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RedSparrows 28 May 2009 11:50:47 22,241 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For my sins I had a Space Wolf army. was cool, I had some bikes and a medium squad and a skirmisher squad too.

I also won a battle in a shop. oh woes.
  • RedSparrows 28 May 2009 11:52:07 22,241 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    eyyy! I had that Blood Claws squad and the Long Fang ones I think. I remember wanting them all, they're so pricey ;(
  • chiefian 28 May 2009 11:53:51 475 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wastelander wrote:
    Anyone play Squad Command on the DS/PSP?
    It's a very nice little turn based strategy game. Ultramarines again though.

I did and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I can't get the trailer to work behind works firewall so I'll check it out at some point, but the article was an enjoyable read.

p.s. you do get black space marines.
  • Gl3n Moderator 28 May 2009 11:54:24 5,363 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    According to internet reports, the footage that was leaked last september was a game in development at another studio, so Relic's game is different.

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• TechnoHippy 28 May 2009 11:54:40 14,705 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I also won a battle in a shop. oh woes.

I made the 1990 Space Marine finals, meant a free trip to Games Day which was quite cool. There was a teaser for the Deathwing movie that was in production at the time, pity it never saw the light of day.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• thegamesthething 28 May 2009 12:05:05 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One thing i think has changed recently, is that with the arrival of foundation paints, and better inks, getting a good result has got a whole lot easier.

It used to be so intimidating to see the old style (say mid 90s), heavily blended paint jobs in White Dwarf, and know you were never going to get close. Now, with the new paints and some excellent painting guides on the webby and in WD, even someone with my mediocre (at best) skills can produce something decent looking. Ish. All my old unpainted models are now finally getting some painting love.

I think the costs are a bit overstated too. 100 would get an army battle force (30 - 50 models usually) , and a good range of brushes and paints to begin with (complete new starters would need to spend some of this on glue, clippers etc). Anywhere between 25 and 200 hours of building and painting later, might seem like a decent investment, at least comparable to 3 or 4 computer games in terms of the fun that comes back. Plus of course you have an army at the end to play games with.

Depends what floats your boat, obviously.
  • LeoliansBro 28 May 2009 12:05:53 43,671 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When did you have 100 as a ten year old?

• Deleted user 28 May 2009 12:11:52
    This reminded me I have a bunch of Imperial Guard and Eldar stuff from the early 90s tucked away, oh and why are they calling this simply Warhammer 40k, shouldn't it be named after the one off game (Which I also have) Warhammer 40k Epic 40,000! :p
  • thegamesthething 28 May 2009 12:13:27 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok, a 12 box set and 15 on paints and a brush. I didnt specifically mean for 10 year olds, more gamers generally.
  • LeoliansBro 28 May 2009 12:14:08 43,671 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Epic was a different scale.

• thegamesthething 28 May 2009 12:15:16 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still is.
  • Deleted user 28 May 2009 12:17:32
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    Epic was a different scale.

I know - got the boxset for the game, but it looks more like this with the trailer showing loads of orcs being blown away, and its a nice injoke at Epic.
  • Nexus_6 28 May 2009 12:38:12 3,876 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thegamesthething wrote:
    One thing i think has changed recently, is that with the arrival of foundation paints, and better inks, getting a good result has got a whole lot easier.

It used to be so intimidating to see the old style (say mid 90s), heavily blended paint jobs in White Dwarf, and know you were never going to get close. Now, with the new paints and some excellent painting guides on the webby and in WD, even someone with my mediocre (at best) skills can produce something decent looking. Ish. All my old unpainted models are now finally getting some painting love.

I think the costs are a bit overstated too. 100 would get an army battle force (30 - 50 models usually) , and a good range of brushes and paints to begin with (complete new starters would need to spend some of this on glue, clippers etc). Anywhere between 25 and 200 hours of building and painting later, might seem like a decent investment, at least comparable to 3 or 4 computer games in terms of the fun that comes back. Plus of course you have an army at the end to play games with.

Depends what floats your boat, obviously.

Hmmm interesting - could you give me a lowdown on what has changed with the paints etc?

cheers!
  • LeoliansBro 28 May 2009 12:39:24 43,671 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently there's also a trick you can do with matt wood varnish now as well, which gives the impression of high quality drybrushing / highlighting.

• thelatestmodel 28 May 2009 12:41:43 364 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just been on the GW website for old time's sake, and holy balls, since when did a single Space Wolf Terminator cost 10? That's 50 for your squad!

Thank goodness for videogames.
  • Lutz 28 May 2009 12:45:10 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kiss away your afternoon
  • TechnoHippy 28 May 2009 12:52:29 14,705 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lutz wrote:
    Kiss away your afternoon

That's a low blow...

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• thegamesthething 28 May 2009 12:58:59 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thelatestmodel wrote:
    Just been on the GW website for old time's sake, and holy balls, since when did a single Space Wolf Terminator cost 10? That's 50 for your squad!

Thank goodness for videogames.

Metal models are much more expensive now, most new releases are plastic units, metal reserved for characters. The Space Wolves revamp will probably see a Space Wolves Terminator box set, plastic with loads of options, for @ 25. At a guess.

Nexus, the foundation paints (a range of 18) are much thicker paint (or rather paint with much more pigment), so a single thin coat of half a dozen different flat colours can achieve a really good base, then a layer of ink to produce all the shadows, and some neat highlighting with the normal paints can give a really not-bad finish. The only technique required is neatness, as oppose to drybrushing and overbrushing and that other stuff I certainly never mastered. All this was always true of course, it just required a lot more effort to produce a good base coat with the old paints.

Here is a pretty good example, loads more on there, and a good guide to painting the new LOTR Elves in the latest WD.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=cat410002&categoryId=1100019&aId=4300006

One thing that is certainly true about this hobby - go to the shop, spend 12 on a set and they will sit you down, help you glue and paint your models (with their glue and paint) and give you as much of a grounding as you need. Obviously, they do tend to be somewhat glassy eyed, and there is the smell (in some shops) but I think its worth it.

If you dont like it, its only 12, an afternoon, and a few nasal receptors gone west.
  • Azazel 28 May 2009 13:17:46 726 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Obviously, they do tend to be somewhat glassy eyed, and there is the smell (in some shops).

hehe
  • the_dudefather 28 May 2009 13:51:35 9,266 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thegamesthething wrote:
    If you dont like it, its only 12, an afternoon, and a few nasal receptors gone west.

I did this and found it very useful, Don't think I could be ever bothered to assemble an army, but I like painting one off figures

and playing the video games of course

Smell isn't a problem for me as I sued to work in Gamestation ;)

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Nexus_6 28 May 2009 14:02:22 3,876 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Excellent - cheers.

There was always something frustrating with the paints etc. I got some decent results, but never in a decent timeframe to be able to play. That, allied with me being a prefectionist and collector meant i would never have the money or time (or skill, really) to finish an army to satisfaction.

• L_Franko Moderator 28 May 2009 14:03:25 9,694 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lutz wrote:
    Kiss away your afternoon

Nice.
    Your a good man, I was trying to think of something to do for the afternoon at work.

By the way, if anybody has an interest in the Horus Heresy I strongly recommend this.

A fantastic book and i'm currently on the 7th book of the series now.
    First three are the best though.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 28 May 2009 14:05:11 25,519 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I read the first 5 or so and then got fed up of reading the same sodding story through the eyes of the 1000th different character. Once someone tells me they've actually moved it on I might go back.
  • Stickman 28 May 2009 14:11:19 29,664 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    Apparently there's also a trick you can do with matt wood varnish now as well, which gives the impression of high quality drybrushing / highlighting.

Yeah 'dipping'. Basically giving your models a flat basecoat and literally dipping them in a tin of varnish.

Painters are well snobby about it, but if you want a quick army it looks fine, especially on tyranids and Nurgle stuff.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• LeoliansBro 28 May 2009 14:12:37 43,671 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I could imagine painters would be, if their skills were compared to dunking the models in Ronseal. Plus painting is half the fun.

• StarchildHypocrethes 28 May 2009 14:13:41 25,519 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do you dip before it's dry then or wait until after? I'm a bit confused as to what it is supposed to do. Any tips are good for me though, as my painting is woeful.
  • Wastelander 28 May 2009 14:14:30 1,848 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I read the first 5 or so and then got fed up of reading the same sodding story through the eyes of the 1000th different character. Once someone tells me they've actually moved it on I might go back.

I'm with you, I'm waiting for the final three books that are supposed to finish the story.

First four are good though.
  • Page

of 29 First / Last