The **Official** Homebrew Beer Thread Page 5

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Next
  • BanjoMan 20 May 2009 12:17:25 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How long's it been? Usually takes 2 or 3 days to build up a head of steam. If not, it may be that the wort was too warm when you pitched your yeast. Got a beer thermometer?

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• rutter 21 May 2009 08:58:19 1,919 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's been on the go since Saturday afternoon, so what's that, 4 and a bit days. I put the yeast in right at the end. I did 3.5 litres hot water rinsing the stuff out of the can. Then the ~20 litres cold water. So, it should have been pretty much cold when the yeast went in.

It's got a bit of crust round the edges and some froth on top. Smells very nice though, really starting to smell like lager.

No beer thermometer - although I could probably *borrow* one from work :)
  • BanjoMan 21 May 2009 12:27:10 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You'd be surprised - I find the temperature to be around 25 or so after adding the cold water, so I end up leaving it a couple of hours. Here's a couple of tips for pitching yeast:

- agitate the fuck out of the wort when you're adding the sugar and water. You want to froth it up before you even think about chucking the yeast in.

- using a plastic jug, take a pint of the wort out once you've added all the water and measure its temperature. If your pint is 18-21 C, tip the yeast sachet into the jug. That is your yeast starter and you need to leave it for half an hour to get the yeast working. You'll see when it's ready because it'll be frothing, so tip it in, give your wort a stir and seal it up. And fit an airlock.

All that type of info is on my blog: http://banjosbrew.blogspot.com

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• rutter 21 May 2009 14:19:21 1,919 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice one - thanks for the tips mate. Will check out your blog.
  • rutter 5 Jun 2009 09:04:01 1,919 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I tried my first pint of homebrew last night. A couple of days if not weeks early really, but I couldn't resist before I went on holiday. I actually drank 4 pints so it wasn't too bad at all! The beer is actually really clear, just the pint glass is fucking filthy!

A little watery, with a hint of yeasty taste. I'm hoping that'll ease off with a few more weeks. The sediment was surprisingly firm. The head was a bit dissapointing and dissapeared quite quick. But all in all, I'm quite chuffed.

Next up is some Turbo Cider :)
  • rutter 20 Aug 2009 08:42:45 1,919 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wilkinsons are great for cheap beer kits. I've never tried them personally, but a guy at work has and said they're pretty good.
  • rutter 20 Aug 2009 08:43:08 1,919 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    or, http://brew-it-yourself.co.uk/
  • Deleted user 20 August 2009 08:50:20
    Hmmm...think I will kick off that 5 gallon wine kit today... I love EG for pushing me in the right way... and for giving me somethign to do rather than work ;)
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
  • Nanocrystal 29 May 2013 10:30:37 1,130 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So I've got 20 litres of IPA fermenting in my garage now. Bought a kit with a heater which is keeping it at a nice constant 22 degrees. The water levels in the airlock are showing some pressure build-up but no bubbling yet. Bit worried the seal around it is leaking.

Anyways, anyone else brewing their own beer right now and looking to share tips?
  • Benno 29 May 2013 10:38:01 10,268 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would say 22 degrees is a little on the higher side. What yeast are you using? A general rule I try and stick to is to keep the temperature between 18-20 degrees. I find the beer tastes cleaner, and less like homebrew.

Most of the popular fish tank heaters only go down to 20-22 degrees, but i scored a cheap 6 one off ebay which goes down to 16 degrees. Very useful for brewing!

I have nothing on at the minute, my last brew was a St Peters Ruby Red, which was average at best. My brew before that was the popular Woodfordes Wherry, which came out fantastic.

Another one I can recommend is the Muntons Old Smugglers Ale, that was probably the best i've brewed.
  • Nanocrystal 29 May 2013 11:09:31 1,130 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmm ok, maybe I'll turn it down a bit, it has an adjustable thermostat. No idea what type of yeast it is, it came with the tin of wort. And this is my first attempt so I'm very much a beginner. Just hoping for something drinkable for now.
  • Alastair 29 May 2013 11:16:23 16,405 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    Another one I can recommend is the Muntons Old Smugglers Ale, that was probably the best i've brewed.
    I have a feeling I made some of that once.. Turned out pretty well from memory - never made anything again to match it.
  • Benno 29 May 2013 12:33:56 10,268 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    Hmm ok, maybe I'll turn it down a bit, it has an adjustable thermostat. No idea what type of yeast it is, it came with the tin of wort. And this is my first attempt so I'm very much a beginner. Just hoping for something drinkable for now.
    The kits usually advise higher temperatures and shorter fermentation/conditioning times to try and speed up the process and get drinkable beer in peoples hands as quickly as possible.

I think a good idea is to leave the wort fermenting at about 18-19 degrees for 2-3 weeks in your primary vessel, then bottle up (adding priming sugar) and leave in a warm place for a week, then a cold place for 3 weeks.

What kit are you using out of interest? I fancy brewing an IPA, just trying to settle on which one.
  • Nanocrystal 29 May 2013 21:16:37 1,130 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's an Aussie beer, Coopers IPA, so not sure you'll be able to get it in the UK or not.

My plan is to leave it fermenting for 2-3 weeks, bottle it and then drink it over the next 2-3 weeks to get a feel for how it develops in-bottle. I've also got some carbonation tablets that you add at the bottling stage. Have you used these?
  • Thorbz 6 Oct 2014 21:27:10 8 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Any All-Grain brewers on here ?

BTW, if anyone wants any brewing tips, try Jimsbeerkit.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Next