The Ale Thread Page 3

• Page

of 90 First / Last

• JuanKerr 19 Sep 2008 16:36:07 36,241 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you can click on 'The Beers', it looks like you can order some.

/ is tempted
  • Deleted user 19 September 2008 20:38:25
    Had myself earlier this week a Milk Stout from Left Hand (nice site btw) and it's lovely. It's a stout, but quite easy to drink and very tasty. I'm continuing my exploration of American ales from micro breweries and I have to say that I'm very very impressed. Quite a revolution going on there I must say!

Tonight I didn't get to any off license so I got some Hobgoblin on bottle. Will open one soooooooooon. I love Friday!
  • JuanKerr 19 Sep 2008 21:46:09 36,241 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ohhh, Hobgoblin is really nice.

I'm currently drinking a bottle of St Peter's Old Style Porter and it tastes amazing. Anyone who likes ales should check their beers out - not only do they come in really nice 18th Century style bottles, they all taste amazing.

Website here.

• mrblackett 19 Sep 2008 21:52:16 856 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not much of an ale drinker. I prefer spirits but when I don't want to get smashed in twenty seconds, I like to drink Deuchars Pale. It's a little fruity which I relate to.
  • JuanKerr 19 Sep 2008 21:53:34 36,241 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    valli wrote:

I'm continuing my exploration of American ales from micro breweries and I have to say that I'm very very impressed. Quite a revolution going on there I must say!

I had some ales from a micro brewery in rural Idaho a couple of years ago and I was impressed too. Made me wonder why most Americans drink fucking piss like Budweiser and Coors.

Mind you, Stella Artois is the UK's best selling beer. Need I say more :(
  • JuanKerr 19 Sep 2008 21:56:34 36,241 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrblackett wrote:
    I'm not much of an ale drinker. I prefer spirits but when I don't want to get smashed in twenty seconds, I like to drink Deuchars Pale. It's a little fruity which I relate to.

You sound like me a couple of years ago ;)

Honestly, if you like one ale, there will be dozens out there that you will also enjoy. It's just a case of getting recommendations from friends and just trying a new one every time you go shopping or something.

Waitrose has a fantastic selection of ales and are really good at supporting local breweries. Every time I go into one of their shops, I always pick up at least one ale that I've never tried before. Very rarely do I find one I don't enjoy.

You can't beat a proper English ale :)
  • mrblackett 19 Sep 2008 22:11:24 856 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    You sound like me a couple of years ago ;)

Honestly, if you like one ale, there will be dozens out there that you will also enjoy. It's just a case of getting recommendations from friends and just trying a new one every time you go shopping or something.

Waitrose has a fantastic selection of ales and are really good at supporting local breweries. Every time I go into one of their shops, I always pick up at least one ale that I've never tried before. Very rarely do I find one I don't enjoy.

You can't beat a proper English ale :)

I used to be all about the ale. We have a fantastic beer festival a couple of times a year and I used to live about 15 miles away from the Black Sheep brewery in Masham (they do a good guided tour).

But then I found tequila...
  • JuanKerr 19 Sep 2008 22:17:51 36,241 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ale >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> tequila
  • mrblackett 19 Sep 2008 22:22:55 856 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You've never drank Tequila with me, Juan. My Tequila sessions are legendary...in Darlington...amongst about twenty people.
  • JuanKerr 19 Sep 2008 22:29:50 36,241 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

I'm sure they are mrblackett, I'm sure they are.

/ condescendingly ruffles hair
  • BanjoMan 19 Sep 2008 22:53:53 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Darlington eh - exotic. Ariba, ariba.

I had a couple of Sheffield ales earlier. Local ale for local people. Kelham Island Brewery.

I'm now on the Deuchars IPA as it happens, bottled. As pale ales go, it's a bloody good one. I generally prefer a dark, malty ale, but this is a nice IPA and goes down well when chilled.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• JuanKerr 19 Sep 2008 22:57:28 36,241 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice one, glad to see you're keeping it local.

I like a nice pale ale in the Summer, but now that Autumn is upon us, it's all about the Porters and darker ales.

I'm still working my way through this St Peter's Old Style Porter. Possibly one of the best beers I've ever tasted and the bottle is so fucking nice that I'm going to keep it on my kitchen windowsill.

There's an offer on the St Peter's website for this Porter - think I'm going to invest.
  • BanjoMan 19 Sep 2008 23:05:48 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Off-topic, I also splashed out on a bottle of rum today: Appleton Estate, which is actually made by Wray and Nephew, who also make that god-awful 60% memory-wiping white rum.

• mrblackett 19 Sep 2008 23:07:50 856 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Darlo may not be the most exotic place in the world but, by jingo, we've got alcoholics here. Some excellent real ale bars too.

Number 22's of Conniscliffe Road (a brilliant name for a pub as long as you've got sat-nav) is as single-minded as it is pretentious. I went in with my mate who went to the bogs while I got the round in. He wanted lager. I asked the barman, who happened to be the owner, what was a good lager. He looked me in the eye in a way that said 'I want to rip you face off' and said "There's no such thing as a good lager." I ordered Stella feeling justly chastised and bought myself a White Boar (fuck knows what brewery).

There's another called the Quaker Coffee House. It's virtually impossible to find, tiny but it serves nothing but cask ale. Every so often they squeeze in a jazz band.

I think I'm one of the few people in the world that fucking loves Darlington.

/kisses ground
  • Corletto 19 Sep 2008 23:10:41 31 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Drinking kills your liver.. FACT.
  • BanjoMan 19 Sep 2008 23:12:36 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Corletto wrote:
    Drinking kills your liver.. FACT.
    Welcome to the thread, Mr Fun-Killer Guy.

• Deleted user 19 September 2008 23:13:45
    I quite like that god awful memory wiping white rum.
  • BanjoMan 19 Sep 2008 23:20:21 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well you would. I did too one evening.

• Deleted user 19 September 2008 23:20:57
    Had a nice kick to it.
  • BanjoMan 19 Sep 2008 23:25:16 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Like a mule.

• Deleted user 19 September 2008 23:26:19
    In the nuts.
  • BanjoMan 19 Sep 2008 23:28:21 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BOOM!

And then you come round. Face down in someone's bathroom, minus your trousers. Three days later.

• Deleted user 19 September 2008 23:28:49
    with a sore bum.

or is that just me?
  • BanjoMan 19 Sep 2008 23:34:30 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was too hungover to notice that. It was just the whole 'Good morning, vicar, have you seen my trousers' thing I found embarrassing.

• JuanKerr 24 Sep 2008 18:19:29 36,241 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a lovely stout over the weekend - Meantime London Stout from Greenwich. Never seen it before, and picked it up from Sainsburys.

Lovely heavy stout with hints of coffee just like stout should be. Great Autumn winter drink for those dark evenings in front of the fire.

• Hypercube 24 Sep 2008 19:35:10 976 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My favourite ale is Firestoker - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/427/11440

Lovely! And they sell it in the offie at the end of my street, so it's ideal for lazy alcoholics!
  • JuanKerr 23 Oct 2008 20:50:38 36,241 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just cracked open a bottle of Pumpking - brewed with Pumpkin (unsurprisingly) and it's actually bloody tasty. I like trying seasonal beers and this is a winner!
  • Whatsfor 23 Oct 2008 21:09:00 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BanjoMan wrote:
    Williams Red last night. Sluuurrrppp!

Out of a bottle, mind.

Okay, anyone confused by Williams Red, It is produced litterally 5 mins away from me. Red is nice but my real recommendation is the Fraoch Heather ale. Chilled or room temp this is one of the best ales I have sampled.

I Help one of their employees around this time last year and mid December the guy gave me a mixed crate and a crate of Fraoch ("seconds" where the labels were wonky) as an xmas present! Kelpie is also nice if you like a dark kick!

Linky.
  • Ginger 23 Oct 2008 21:19:57 6,829 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You people clearly have no idea if you've not tried Badger First Gold, or Tanglefoot. First gold is my preferred tipple, and they sell it in tescos and waitrose so get some and try it this weekend!

Oh, and if you can get hold of some ringwood 49er try that too :)

London open taekwondo champion

• JuanKerr 23 Oct 2008 21:24:05 36,241 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've had Tanglefoot and it is indeed very tasty.

Seriously, you should try this Pumpking stuff - I got it from Tesco and it is a 'seasonal beer' from the Wychwood brewery (of Hobgoblin fame).
  • Page

of 90 First / Last