The Ale Thread Page 80

• Page

of 90 First / Last

• JuanKerr 24 Jun 2013 09:06:54 36,248 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like Camden Town's stuff - had their lager and and pale ale, both top notch.
  • Vortex808 24 Jun 2013 09:51:22 7,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Rich brewery? Do you mean RCH?
    The bottle definitely said Rich brewery, I swear! I even read it off the bottle before typing that post. However, having googled it, that is indeed correct. Old age does not come by itself and I'm not going to rake through the recycling when I get home!

I also have their 'old slug' porter for another night's enjoyment.

I've had a few decent beers from that Camden mob too. I think they were more pale ale-y though. I shall keep an eye out for Jono's tipple.
  • JuanKerr 24 Jun 2013 09:56:12 36,248 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha! I bet you do end up going through the recycling when you get home - I know I would.
  • Vortex808 24 Jun 2013 10:55:15 7,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :D

Yeah, you're right, I probably will!

Edit:just had a rake and a squizz at it, turns out I may need glasses!

Edited by Vortex808 at 18:38:25 24-06-2013
  • Vortex808 29 Jun 2013 23:44:32 7,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    An Australian original Pale ale from coopers brewery was first tonight. It was really nice. A bottle conditioned brew which was very drinkable indeed.

Next up was an Icelandic brew from Einstok brewery. Just 60 miles south of the arctic circle and basically claiming the rain and prehistoric glacial melt water running through lava fields delivers the purest water on earth. Not sure I believe the spiel, but their White Ale is very drinkable. I have two other bottles of different beers from them and will be opening them very soon.

If all Icelandic beer is this good, then those beers will be most enjoyable.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 30 Jun 2013 00:15:28 729 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Going vip to Bloodstock in little over a months time, only 60+ real ales to sample :)

Arsechickens

• MrSemprini 30 Jun 2013 22:29:32 9,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cool, that'll give you something to do while Lamb of God are on.
  • Madder-Max 30 Jun 2013 23:21:18 11,656 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I like Camden Town's stuff - had their lager and and pale ale, both top notch.
    Thought I'd let u know seeing as u replied to me that I looked into the real ale bar but it turns out to be a bit of a vanity project for the brewery. Self employed position and 10 percent of take. 2 quid a pint next to carling san miguel etc. They'll be lucky to take 3 maybe 4 grand a week. Just not worth it. The directors are very hands on too so in other words u don't get to actually manage the place and they can get rid of u easily as its self employed. I wonder how other places are running ale bars? The beer was fucking lovely though. Rhymney export. 5%

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Vortex808 3 Jul 2013 22:04:54 7,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Another Icelandic brew to, erm, 'aid recovery' after my run earlier tonight.

An Einstok brewery toasted porter. It's lovely and going down a treat.
  • Vortex808 3 Jul 2013 22:08:10 7,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BTW, Madder Max, where on earth do you live that a two pound pint would struggle to sell? I would kill to get a pint for two quid!

The average pint here haven't been two quid for about a decade!
  • MrDigital 3 Jul 2013 22:48:52 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Edinburgh is pretty pricey but if you got to a Weatherspoons you can get casks ales for around £1.80. Almost definitely aren't keeping them as well as other pubs, but they still are of reasonable quality.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Madder-Max 4 Jul 2013 08:53:47 11,656 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    BTW, Madder Max, where on earth do you live that a two pound pint would struggle to sell? I would kill to get a pint for two quid!

The average pint here haven't been two quid for about a decade!
    It sells but u would have to do huge volume plus the san mig, carling etc which they had on too would cause losses due to going out of date because of low customer numbers and the price difference.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Syrette 5 Jul 2013 18:28:51 43,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Going to this tomorrow. Should be a good laugh, and it's for a good cause.

http://www.rebellionbeer.co.uk/events/2013/july/july-charity-weekend.aspx

These are their ales, I've sampled most of them: http://www.rebellionbeer.co.uk/beers.aspx

• Vortex808 21 Jul 2013 22:15:33 7,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For better or worse, I am about to try an Iron Maiden trooper themed beer from Robinsons brewery. A 4.7% beer. It's really rather pleasant too.
  • MrSemprini 22 Jul 2013 20:03:47 9,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had that at the weekend in one of the better equipped locals (Old Ebor if you're similarly local). It's a pretty decent session beer and very palatable. My rating: Beer of the Dark.

Missed out on the fridge pie :(

Edited by MrSemprini at 20:05:33 22-07-2013
  • MrSemprini 31 Jul 2013 12:10:57 9,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Couple of unseasonal stouts from Northern Brewing (aka Blakemere) to report on:

Two Tone Chocolate Stout. Just like the classic record label, this is served up in two tones:

1) Black, for the chocolate part
    2) Non black for the non chocolate part

No three minute hero here, this is to be sipped and savoured. More roasty and (very) dark chocolate notes than a typical choccy explosion so if you likes your choc on the dark and bitter side, a good couple of these at 5% and you'll find you can't stand up for falling down and will definitely have missing words when ordering a taxi home.

Vanilla Stout. Well now, isn't this something? Up until now, the undisputed queen of the vanillas was surely Mrs Simpson's Thriller in Vanilla. Sure, a more grandiloquent name that plain old Vanilla Stout but after a ding dong with this filly, seems she's all mouth and no skirt. If a stout can be made smoother and richer in vanilla flavour than this, then I need to try it. Winner by several lengths, just fabulous.
  • Psychotext 31 Jul 2013 12:13:50 54,209 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had some rather nice "bottle conditioned ales" lately, whatever they are.
  • JuanKerr 31 Jul 2013 12:16:35 36,248 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're bottles with live yeast in them, basically trying to recreate cask beer in a bottle. Supposed to make the beer taste better (usually does in my experience).
  • ILoveThrashMetal 31 Jul 2013 13:32:46 729 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Vortex808
    So what was it like?

Arsechickens

• Vortex808 1 Aug 2013 12:12:19 7,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Trooper beer? It was very drinkable. I recommend folk trying it if they spot it in the bar/supermarket. As I mentioned at the end of my post- "It's really rather pleasant too."

I've bought two more bottles since and a rather chilly eddie will be waiting to assail my tastebuds at the weekend. Along with a couple of bottles of Ossian.
  • mal 2 Aug 2013 16:54:41 22,560 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bit late, as I think it was their monthly brew for last month, but the other day I had a Dark Star Redshift. I normally like red beers, but this was a bit much for my fragile palette (and it probably doesn't help it's brewed at 5.5% either). I don't quite know how to describe the taste, but the dark star website describes it as having a 'twang', I'd just describe it as more 'sour'.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mrharvest 2 Aug 2013 17:52:20 5,198 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had my first ale after two years away. Fuller's Sticky Wicket. Can't complain - it's just so much better than lager.
  • JuanKerr 3 Aug 2013 22:56:46 36,248 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Two years away from ale? Not sure I could cope with that.

Had a pint of Adnam's Broadside in a pub garden on the Suffolk coast this afternoon - absolutely glorious.
  • Vortex808 4 Aug 2013 19:04:42 7,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Went to a small town near us today for a day out with the wife and little 'un. They have a new booze shop. With a veritable plethora of beers I have never seen before.

Due to the presence of my wife, I only bought 8 bottles, but have negotiated a return visit in a few weeks time. She can pick one of the many bottles of gin they have and I'm going my dinger on the ales.

I complimented the guy on his selection and he said he tried his best to source stuff that wasn't seen much in the area. \o/

I could have probably got about 40 beers I've never tried before from there.
  • Vortex808 8 Aug 2013 21:24:45 7,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cracked open a dunkel kellerbier tonight from Schlossbrauerei Haimhausen.

The lad in the shop mentioned I should open it over a sink as they were 'a bit lively'. I'm glad I took his advice, or I might be getting divorced if I opened this in the living room.

Lively didn't cover it. My precious beer was fizzing out for ages. The horror of the waste, while I scrabbled for a glass will live long in my memory.

Still, the beer itself is top class. As any German beer always seems to be.

Edited by Vortex808 at 21:25:06 08-08-2013
  • mrharvest 9 Aug 2013 08:27:56 5,198 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Two years away from ale? Not sure I could cope with that.
    Yeah, it wasn't pretty. :-|

I'm going again in two days but fingers crossed I'll have a better selection in Seoul than I ever had living in that goat's arse lager Tanzania.

Oh, I had a Big Mofo Stout at the Old Coffee House. A lovely combination of dates, coffee and a bit of ripe blackberry I thought. Very drinkable at 10.5%.

Another one that rose to top from that session was the Bethnal Green Bitter. Very, very fruity!

Edited by mrharvest at 08:31:23 09-08-2013
  • Vortex808 9 Aug 2013 22:13:43 7,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ooh. A bottle of Elsie Mo (5.0%) from Castle Rock brewery tonight. It's maybe been a tough week at work, and I'm off work for the next week, but man this is hitting the spot.

Definitely a thumbs up for this brew.
  • Vortex808 9 Aug 2013 23:03:34 7,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's all win on the beer front tonight.

Beer number 2 was a 'Rogue Wave' from Cromarty brewing co. A 5.7% extra pale ale.

It's really rather lovely. If you see it, try it! It's right up there with the best pale ales I've tried.
  • Psychotext 9 Aug 2013 23:08:54 54,209 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just realised that I've tried every (non own brand) beer in Asda, Waitrose and Tesco.
  • facd224 11 Aug 2013 20:40:54 21 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I finally bit the bullet and had one of my old beers from the cellar - I have a little collection of beers I've been afraid to drink because they're almost impossible to replace.
    Today's lucky one - a 2007 Imperial Stout from Slottskällan, a Swedish brewery.
    It's lovely, all the chocolate and coffee flavours you'd expect from an imperial stout, maybe the ageing made it a bit fruitier, but as I had the other bottle five odd years ago I really can't tell if the ageing made any difference.
  • Page

of 90 First / Last