• Page

of 367 First / Last

• CharlieStCloud 17 Dec 2013 18:30:04 5,530 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Took the punt.

... Tomb Raider for 69p!

It can't be that bad, surely?

Well, the good things is that it retains the same atmosphere and still manages to shit me up when the wolves come out of nowhere. The silence works so well too, giving a sense of pure isolation.

The bad? Unfortunately, as we know, Lara controls like a tank however, it is even worse knowing you are controlling a digital tank as well as wrestling with the touchscreen controls. When it does work, it is rather lovely.

God, please go back to the tombs in the next game please.
  • CharlieStCloud 20 Dec 2013 08:25:39 5,530 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I went a little bit mad in the past few days!

A Charlie Brown Christmas - £2.99 (I love Charlie Brown books)
    Cut the Rope 2 - 69p
    Dues Ex: The Fall - 99p (purely a complete impulse buy; it was £7 only yesterday)
    Icycle: On Thin Ice - 69p
    Impossible Road - £1.49
    Room Two, The - £2.99
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - £1.99 (what an AMAZING conversion!)
    Tomb Raider - 69p
    Touchgrind Skate 2 - £2.99 (for my friends kids to play as they love those Tech Deck skateboard thingummies)

... which comes to a grand total of £15.50.

That is more than I have spent on the App Store all blooming year!

/o\
  • THFourteen 20 Dec 2013 09:23:25 34,468 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh i used to do that, buying tonnes of iOS games that i dont have the time to play.

I've changed my policy now so i only buy a game if i'm going to play it through. It does mean i miss out on sales, but actually probably saves me tonnes of money in the long run.

Also the new "wishlist" functionality in IOS 7 means i never forget about stuff that i want to try later.

BTW anyone played Republique yet?
  • Moot_Point 20 Dec 2013 09:29:00 4,607 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    I went a little bit mad in the past few days!

A Charlie Brown Christmas - £2.99 (I love Charlie Brown books)
    Cut the Rope 2 - 69p
    Dues Ex: The Fall - 99p (purely a complete impulse buy; it was £7 only yesterday)
    Icycle: On Thin Ice - 69p
    Impossible Road - £1.49
    Room Two, The - £2.99
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - £1.99 (what an AMAZING conversion!)
    Tomb Raider - 69p
    Touchgrind Skate 2 - £2.99 (for my friends kids to play as they love those Tech Deck skateboard thingummies)

... which comes to a grand total of £15.50.

That is more than I have spent on the App Store all blooming year!

/o\
    Post your bargains here. This is the review thread. ;)

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• TarickStonefire 20 Dec 2013 09:29:41 3,429 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

BTW anyone played Republique yet?
    Yes I'm halfway through the first chapter, it's very good indeed. The gameplay mechanic is singular, however, and gets a bit boring after a solid hour of doing the same thing over and over on the same map. Still, great concept, and apparently the gameplay mechanic evolves in the next chapter but that's months away.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 20 Dec 2013 09:31:33 3,429 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Took the punt.

... Tomb Raider for 69p!

It can't be that bad, surely?

Well, the good things is that it retains the same atmosphere and still manages to shit me up when the wolves come out of nowhere. The silence works so well too, giving a sense of pure isolation.

The bad? Unfortunately, as we know, Lara controls like a tank however, it is even worse knowing you are controlling a digital tank as well as wrestling with the touchscreen controls. When it does work, it is rather lovely.

God, please go back to the tombs in the next game please.
    Controlling Lara was bad enough first time around even with a controller. No way I'm wasting money on an iOS port of that game. Touch screen versions of 'proper' controls have pretty much ruined iOS gaming for me now, I barely play anything other than crappy touchscreen time wasters as virtual sticks are utterly pointless.

But nice to see the original getting some attention again!

• fentsy 20 Dec 2013 10:10:57 63 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I've been playing the recently remastered Sonic 2 (£1.99). Highly recommended. It looks beautiful, I think it might be the first time I've seen the game running at the intended 60fps (having previously owned PAL Mega Drive and Saturn versions).

The only negative, predictably, is the touch controls. I don't remember being quite so bad at the Special Stages and I seem to be stuck on Metropolis Zone 3 at the moment. I'm blaming the imprecise controls rather than my fading reactions.
  • TarickStonefire 20 Dec 2013 12:07:37 3,429 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Last post there proving my point about touch screen controls basically rendering iOS gaming a compromise at best, most of the time.

(some notable exceptions such as XCOM, Republique, point-n-click adventures etc)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 12:08:04 20-12-2013

• TarickStonefire 20 Dec 2013 12:10:53 3,429 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've just read about what an absolutely hateful whazzock the cunt that runs Touch Arcade (Eli Fucking Hodapp) was both about ALL Kickstarter-based projects, and specifically the guys making Republique, to the point where he repeatedly specifically dissed them in some of the rudest ways possible, and blacklisted them and all other KS projects from getting any coverage whatsoever on Touch Arcade, on the basis that "they don't cover games that aren't released" - and yet, they do. All the time. Repeatedly. Perhaps those games pay a bit more to Eli, eh?

Anyway, what a cunt.

But the best bit is, the game that he studiously refused to give ANY coverage of, at ANY point in it's development, and whose makers he slagged off time and time again for 'shaking their can for coins', just released a game so good that it got five stars from the Touch Arcade reviewer.

Man I fucking hate that Hodapp prick.

• aros 20 Dec 2013 12:15:33 3,423 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TouchArcade are absolute scum - it's one of the worst, most shady sites on the net. It says something about iOS gaming that a site like TA can be so successful when everyone knows what their business practices are.

Edited by aros at 12:19:51 20-12-2013
  • THFourteen 20 Dec 2013 12:59:57 34,468 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Last post there proving my point about touch screen controls basically rendering iOS gaming a compromise at best, most of the time.

(some notable exceptions such as XCOM, Republique, point-n-click adventures etc)
    There are tonnes of games to play that don't rely on those crappy joystick controls, the ones you mention, stuff like baldurs gate, transport tycoon, KOTOR, telltale stuff, driving games in general work fine, plus all the casual stuff like angry birds etc

I think if you get want to play fps style games, get a vita.

I don't think iOS gaming is a compromise apart from games that specifically need a joystick, and if that is your sole universe of games i can understand, but luckiyl for me, its not
  • mothercruncher 21 Dec 2013 08:22:21 7,817 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Love the idea of Republique, but on a self imposed ban of any game with IAP so gingerly scrolled down the description until... damn, I can't buy it.

I still can't recommend Bike Baron enough- it's a just-one-more game that's got ridiculous amounts of content in it, crazy value.
  • TarickStonefire 21 Dec 2013 09:03:01 3,429 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    Love the idea of Republique, but on a self imposed ban of any game with IAP so gingerly scrolled down the description until... damn, I can't buy it.

I still can't recommend Bike Baron enough- it's a just-one-more game that's got ridiculous amounts of content in it, crazy value.
    You should check out République again, the IAPs are just the next four chapters that will be released episodically every few months. Not expendable currency nonsense, and definitely not a ripoff. The first chapter is great, well worth £2.99

In fact this is the perfect way to use IAPs in my opinion, and a good way to distribute a taster of a larger game and let people buy the rest if they want it.

I think you should revisit your policy on IAPs to allow games that are just selling optional extra content. It would be a mistake to skip République just because you saw the words 'Offers in-app purchases’ in my opinion.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 10:11:28 21-12-2013

• TarickStonefire 21 Dec 2013 09:06:42 3,429 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @THFourteen I hear what you're saying but I have found, after years of trying, that relatively speaking there just aren't tons of good, full, proper games. Loads of casual shit like angry birds but that quite specifically doesn't count as a 'game' in my view, just a time waster. And some very good games within those casual time wasters, indeed, but they aren't scratching my itch to play a bigger, deeper game.

Of the ones you mentioned, my disappointment is that there are many ports of ancient games and not enough new stuff. Baldurs gate is ancient. Transport tycoon plays really awkwardly - only lay down track in straight lines?? I can't draw track, on a touch screen? - and is also ancient. So is KOTOR and to be fair it's using a compromise control scheme adapted from superior controllers; telltale games come under point n click and yep that genre works wonderfully well on touchscreens (except for telltale ipad games are usually badly optimised and crashy).

You're right about the vita for reliable, proper portable gaming. I bought one a few months ago :))

There really are a lot of very good games that aren't casual time wasters, offer some real depth and complexity, and use a perfectly judged touchscreen control system, just not as many as I'd hoped there would be by now.

Recently I've loved XCOM, The Room, Anomaly 1 & 2, République, and a few adventures, all of which managed to use the touchscreen perfectly. Those are the kinds of touchscreen games I can play for long periods. Anything else, as soon as I miss a cotrol because, well, stupid non-tactile interface, I start to lose interest and drift back towards my console and laptop for a game with some depth.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 10:07:13 21-12-2013

• BravoGolf Moderator 21 Dec 2013 11:46:32 12,752 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I didn't realise The Walking Dead series is available on the iPhone ... Is it a gimmicky spin off?
  • CharlieStCloud 21 Dec 2013 12:00:01 5,530 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @BravoGolf

Nope, it is the same as the console versions!

... just be aware that technically, it is often slightly inconsistent during busy scenes.

I'd strongly advise you to play The Walking Dead on a console though (if you have the choice).

: )
  • Tomo 21 Dec 2013 14:10:49 13,980 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    I didn't realise The Walking Dead series is available on the iPhone ... Is it a gimmicky spin off?
    It also has a habit of crashing and wiping your save... So fuck you Telltale!

Which is why I'm now playing it on PC.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 21 Dec 2013 16:50:58 12,752 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow, that's cool. I'll get it for the iPhone, handier to play while I'm on the couch pretending to be sociable rather than sneaking upstairs!
  • localnotail 23 Dec 2013 11:09:15 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do you like games about pirates?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• mothercruncher 23 Dec 2013 18:07:34 7,817 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That looks arrrsolutely great.
  • TOOTR 25 Dec 2013 08:39:20 9,648 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Skulls of the shogun is free today.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• THFourteen 25 Dec 2013 11:13:59 34,468 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sweet thanks for the heads up
  • mothercruncher 26 Dec 2013 14:59:37 7,817 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers, grabbed that 'un.
  • THFourteen 26 Dec 2013 15:11:32 34,468 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Loads of cheap stuff on actually

Picked up lego batman too

Also stuff I already have on cheap like BG and KOTOR. Shadowrun.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 26 Dec 2013 15:49:11 26,599 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Only just noticed that KOTOR now runs on iPhones. Sweet!
  • IJ 26 Dec 2013 17:48:51 847 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Room 2

Just completed this over the xmas period (having played the first last Christmas). Very much more of the same but that was very welcome. Took me about 3-4 hours, so about twice as long as the first. Very much recommended.
  • CharlieStCloud 28 Dec 2013 11:20:54 5,530 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Apple are cunts shocker!

... if your device isn't on iOS7, you cannot take part in the 12 Days of Christmas thin-me-bob.

Nice to treat your customers nice.

: (
  • yegon 28 Dec 2013 11:33:18 5,416 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud

I believe all the apps/gifts that go free are available to everyone. The 12 Days app itself is iOS7 only though.

Edit: Indeed, Kalahari, a bbc documentary, is today's UK gift and is free on the normal iTunes store.

Edited by yegon at 11:40:30 28-12-2013
  • Widge Moderator 7 Feb 2014 18:45:29 13,743 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, Final Fantasy 6 is out on iOS. Wonder if they'll stretch to Final Fantasy 7?

If I had that on my phone anywhere, life complete.

I could have it on my Vita but having it on my phone is a brand new prospect.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• CharlieStCloud 8 Feb 2014 09:05:09 5,530 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX should go NOWHERE near a phone or tablet!

Anyways, I have bought my first iOS game of the year:

THREES!

... absolutely deceivingly simple yet quite the mind boggler when the numbers get bigger. Think it is in the top ten on the App store at present and the reviews are as positive as they can possibly be.

The icon of the App alone makes me smile.

: )
  • Page

of 367 First / Last