iPhone/iPod Touch App and Game Review Thread Page 356

• Page

of 366 First / Last

• Deleted user 29 January 2013 17:22:33
    I've got pretty much all my Internet interests on Flipboard, tis the badgers nadgers.
  • yegon 4 Feb 2013 18:25:53 5,218 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone tried Fleksy (free)? It's simultaneously amazing and utterly useless - it's a keyboard, originally designed for the blind, that you can type incredibly accurately on without looking at the screen, just vaguely aim for the key via muscle memory and et voila. The app is just a prototype. Vanilla iOS will obviously never allow third party keyb's like this but now 6.1 is jailbroken (w000t) hopefully some clever sod will get it running as the default.

Edited by yegon at 18:26:05 04-02-2013
  • mcmothercruncher 5 Feb 2013 22:05:04 6,796 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    IGN giving away Need For Speed Most Wanted for freez:

Linky

Worked for me in the UK a sec ago, usually 2.99.
  • IMadeThis 20 Feb 2013 20:21:08 1,036 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't think it's been mentioned, but I'm really enjoying Dungelot - and it's free at the mo.
  • daz_john_smith 21 Feb 2013 07:35:52 1,636 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Plants Vs Zombies and Plants Vs. Zombies HD currently FREE. No idea for how long.

iPhone / iPod Touch

iPad
  • jonsaan 21 Feb 2013 07:44:06 25,342 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice one!

FCUTA!

• TOOTR 22 Feb 2013 04:28:45 9,523 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    daz_john_smith wrote:
    Plants Vs Zombies and Plants Vs. Zombies HD currently FREE. No idea for how long.

iPhone / iPod Touch

iPad
    Plants vs Zombies, is App of the Week. You can grab it free on iPad or iPhone through February 28

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• TOOTR 22 Feb 2013 17:12:48 9,523 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Battle of the Bulge is reduced by about 30% today

• THFourteen 5 Mar 2013 07:53:51 33,182 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So the cup races in Real Racing 3 are terrible. Because of their decision to skimp on the AI and use ghost multiplayer cars instead, it means that the "AI" blindly follows the line saved in memory regardless of what you are doing. AI cars will shunt you out of the way repeatedly because they cannot adapt to you being in their racing line.

Shame, as it works well in all the other modes.

Also the texture pop in on ipad mini is pretty fugly
  • Widge Moderator 5 Mar 2013 11:30:56 13,462 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Any decent jRPG's at the moment, or is it a case of heading to Final Fantasy Tactics / Final Fantasy 4?

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• THFourteen 7 Mar 2013 07:35:44 33,182 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now played Real Racing 3 for 4 hours, and completed about 5% of the game.

I feel that the EG review of 3 is overly harsh. I haven't spent any money at all on the game, and i haven't even spent any gold coins. The initial start of the game does require the odd 5 minute wait, but as soon as you have enough cash to buy one or two more cars (which doesnt really take very long) then you are flying.

The main problem with the game as I previously mentioned is that the AI is stupid, and for that i would knock down 2-3 points off the score. Plus the lack of concurrent multiplayer, even though i dont ever use it.

I'd say the way it stands, 7/10.
  • Vinicity 7 Mar 2013 08:58:06 205 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Year Walk really is all kinds of amazing, isn't it? So much atmosphere, and genuinely scary at times. Also loving the interactivity with the Year Walk Companion app...
  • TOOTR 11 Mar 2013 14:42:10 9,523 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Knights of pen and paper is FREE today.

EG gave it 9/10.

• THFourteen 11 Mar 2013 14:45:08 33,182 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Downloaded, thank you very much!
  • TOOTR 11 Mar 2013 14:57:15 9,523 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You are very welcome - I'm sure you'd do the same :)

• Ultrasoundwave 11 Mar 2013 15:18:34 3,280 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Havent finished it but i've got quite far through Vector (69p).

Great touch controls, lovely animations and, similar to another game thats name escapes me, its very addictive trying to achieve 3 stars on each level.

8/10

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Widge Moderator 12 Mar 2013 12:23:44 13,462 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah, looks like Mirrors Edge...

I forgot I bought that ages ago, must put it on my pad. Find it slightly odd that some purchases from my past don't show up in the Purchased AppStore section.

_ _ _

• IJ 12 Mar 2013 15:05:45 819 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Now played Real Racing 3 for 4 hours, and completed about 5% of the game.

I feel that the EG review of 3 is overly harsh. I haven't spent any money at all on the game, and i haven't even spent any gold coins. The initial start of the game does require the odd 5 minute wait, but as soon as you have enough cash to buy one or two more cars (which doesnt really take very long) then you are flying.

The main problem with the game as I previously mentioned is that the AI is stupid, and for that i would knock down 2-3 points off the score. Plus the lack of concurrent multiplayer, even though i dont ever use it.

I'd say the way it stands, 7/10.
    I completely agree with the above (I was trying to post in the Real Racing 3 thread but the forum search is completely useless). I've been playing it for 5ish hours and haven't spent any money nor even the free gold they give you. I've not once had to grind an event twice to earn money. I can see why reviewers were effected more by this. If you were trying to play the game for 6-7 hours a day for several days running to review it, you may well come up against the time problems. But for normal use, playing an hour here or 15 minutes there, it's never a problem. Even then though, I got a BMW for 120k recently and it was a 2 hour wait to get delivered, but it was 10 gold to get it delivered immediately, at that point i had 75 gold which I had not spent and was given free. You level up about every 4 races, which gives you between 3 and 5 gold for free.

I am in no way a fan of the model they've used. I think a fee to get rid of all repairs once and for all, or to cut all waiting times out, or to buy a rally pack etc is a much more friendly way of free to play monetisation. But, the reviews which are marking down for saying the game is unplayable unless you pay are just way off the mark.

As above, the game should get marked down for very poor AI, a shallow handling model and a slightly uninteresting career mode. I don't agree with the model, but it hasn't stopped me enjoying the game for 5 hours for free so far. I have four cars now and there is at least another 5 hours of content for me to play for free, by which time I'll have earnt enough for a few more cars which no doubt will open up another load of content. For free, it's hard to complain about that.

[Does anyone have the Real Racing 3 thread link?]

JR

Edited by IJ at 15:10:19 12-03-2013
  • JayG 14 Mar 2013 11:14:12 842 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I picked up Little Inferno as it was sale for 69p, and it's addictive. Brings out the firestarter in me. It's a find the mix type game, but has a lot of charm.
  • JayG 14 Mar 2013 18:29:23 842 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm kinda surprised how dead this thread is. Especially when in Vita threads you have endless lads saying nobody wants proper handheld gaming and mobile is the future. I'm enjoying my Ipad, some very good games at very reasonable prices. Actually has me and the mrs playing together at gaming for the first time since the Amiga. Admittedly it's because she's Swiss and enjoys the hidden objects games to improve her English (except of course it's fucking Americanise and hence a bastardisation).

Baldur's Gate is by far now my favourite Ipad game. They sorted out all the niggles and makes me long for the sequel and Planescape, but who knows now Atari have popped their clogs.

On the other hand Vice City, one of my all time favourites, I find totally unplayable. I changed the set up to get the joystick for the driving, but everytime I die it's the controls, not my ineptitude. I'm kinda used to dieing by been crap, but this really makes scream. Hence me ranting on the Vita threads about how Sony should really grab it.

It's funny, you always hear how no one wants to play complicated games on the go, yet the Vita's most popular games are the like of Persona. On Ipad Rockstar seems to be doing pretty well. I never picked up the Ipad for games, had the Vita for that, but I'm surprised how good it is, and how many games are coming. Got Phoenix Wright coming soon, Shadowrun returns, and to be quite honest it seems to be taking over from PC as a indie paradise. I just wish I had space on it.
  • Widge Moderator 15 Mar 2013 08:43:58 13,462 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll be getting BG soon, next month. Also want Final Fantasy Tactics.

Time is getting absorbed by Swords & Sworcery and New Star Soccer right now.

Slightly less emphasis on "proper" games on iOS at the moment, more on "GIVE US MONEY IN GAME" games.

_ _ _

• mcmothercruncher 15 Mar 2013 19:39:32 6,796 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I went batshit crazy for games when I got my ipad, lasted about a month, now its all browsing, podcasts and flipboard. Might be a bit jaded with gaming in general though to be honest.
  • CharlieStCloud 16 Mar 2013 12:52:01 5,202 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Vinicity wrote:
    Year Walk really is all kinds of amazing, isn't it? So much atmosphere, and genuinely scary at times. Also loving the interactivity with the Year Walk Companion app...
    Made an enormous mistake playing this just before I went to sleep a few nights ago.

The final reveal of the ghostly woman whose 'singing' you have to follow in the eerily dark woods made me audibly scream ... so unexpected. The foreboding atmosphere is just horrible, especially when you go down the bunker with the dim blue flame for the first time.

Also loved the diary entries in the Companion app, which slowly unveils the secret to the true ending ... I knew long before the last thing you see is/was the only way to save the girl.

Think the same folks made Beat Sneak Bandit, which I believe was the iOS game of the year amongst some publications! I eagerly look forward to their next game.

p.s. Only just looked at some reviews on the App Store.

Look, if you are so THICK or IMPATIENCE, don't judge the game on your inability to use less than 1% of your brains capacity or your woefully poor attention span ... why give a game one star because of your own personal failings?

That pisses me off quite a fair bit.

'I don't know what to do ... therefore this game sucks! BECAUSE I AM SO THICK!' - one star.

*sighs*
  • SuperCoolEskimo 20 Mar 2013 18:40:00 9,775 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ridiculous Fishing is excellent.
  • thedaveeyres 20 Mar 2013 18:45:53 10,883 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Ridiculous Fishing is excellent.
    Indeed! Loving Backflip Madness too.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• JayG 21 Mar 2013 16:23:47 842 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Final Fantasy 3 and 4 are on sale at the moment, I picked up 4, not sure if I like it.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 21 Mar 2013 21:28:36 9,775 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @thedaveeyres Just caught a Gnarwal which apparently are pretty rare, I think. Pretty pleased with that. Onto the Stormy Seas!
  • SuperCoolEskimo 23 Mar 2013 17:42:59 9,775 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Retro Racing is free right now.
  • ScoutTech 23 Mar 2013 18:09:51 2,423 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is Little Inferno really worth the 2.99 or better to wait for a sale?
  • JayG 24 Mar 2013 12:17:17 842 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Little Inferno's very good, but I picked it up when it was last on sale.

And X-Com's coming to Ipad.
  • Page

of 366 First / Last