iPhone/iPod Touch App and Game Review Thread Page 348

• Page

of 365 First / Last

• RabidChild 20 Jun 2012 18:07:59 2,283 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @richardiox ah, yes. I meant iPad. Wrong thread!
  • chub 21 Jun 2012 21:40:22 434 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    There is much more to it, there is strategy on how to make a lot of money quickly once you start dealing with the class 2 planes and get on with layovers.

I've got a couple of capitals now - Baghdad and London - and you can ferry some London jobs there, but also stockpile some Glasgow ones. Then a Class1 plane can pick these up and drop off with a mega 25% bonus PLUS keep the epic distance fee.

fourfourfun if you want to do some leader board stuff and enter eurogamer at the flight crew bit to work on objectives!
    I've been playing Pocket Planes a bit this week. I'm on level 10, but I haven't bought a class 2 plane yet. I've only got two airports that can take them, so I'm not sure it's worth it yet.

I haven't played around with layovers yet. Should I be using them for short haul flights, or are they only for long haul?

I've joined the Eurogamer flight crew. The event at the moment is in Casablanca, which is the first one I've been able to take part in. Is anyone else doing the flight crew event jobs?
  • TechnoHippy 22 Jun 2012 07:08:21 14,637 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I picked up Tank Battle: 1944 yesterday, quite a nice, if simple hex based wargame.

Although I wish there was something a bit more like Panzer General.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Widge Moderator 22 Jun 2012 16:23:07 12,595 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    chub wrote:
    Widge wrote:
    There is much more to it, there is strategy on how to make a lot of money quickly once you start dealing with the class 2 planes and get on with layovers.

I've got a couple of capitals now - Baghdad and London - and you can ferry some London jobs there, but also stockpile some Glasgow ones. Then a Class1 plane can pick these up and drop off with a mega 25% bonus PLUS keep the epic distance fee.

fourfourfun if you want to do some leader board stuff and enter eurogamer at the flight crew bit to work on objectives!
    I've been playing Pocket Planes a bit this week. I'm on level 10, but I haven't bought a class 2 plane yet. I've only got two airports that can take them, so I'm not sure it's worth it yet.

I haven't played around with layovers yet. Should I be using them for short haul flights, or are they only for long haul?

I've joined the Eurogamer flight crew. The event at the moment is in Casablanca, which is the first one I've been able to take part in. Is anyone else doing the flight crew event jobs?
    The other events also count towards jobs too, there is a 24hr one in Karachi at the moment which I am contributing too.

Layovers really come in at about Level 14 I would say, I'm level 16. I've closed down a few airports (as I had loads clustered in Europe and UK) and now have a good spread from Glasgow to Dehli.

My technique is to have a few Class 1's delivering Far East stuff from Glasgow & Lisbon to London/Madrid/Barcelona/Paris/Berlin/Algiers and over the other side, I have Dehli feeding Karachi, Karachi feeding Tehran/Baghdad/Istanbul, and Kuwait City feeding Istanbul/Baghdad. The theory is to feed a city that is on the route you want the cargo to go on, as it will have a greater value. What happens with the Class 2 planes is that, due to being heavy, they will cost a lot to get about. So really you want them to travel a long way and with the 25% bonus. Rather than having to sit about waiting for jobs to refresh, you can have a little stash of jobs waiting there to plug any missing gaps. Also I've taken to upgrading their weight so it costs less to fly them.

Think I've settled on the Kangaroo as my Class 1 plane of choice. Going to get a little flock of them and upgrade them. Not too fussed about them having speed as they are short haul, I just want them to hold a good few items.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• TechnoHippy 27 Jun 2012 13:47:03 14,637 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tank Battle 1944 was pretty good, if over a little too quickly.

Just downloaded Musket & Artillary an American Revoluntionary war game.

• kalel 27 Jun 2012 14:20:49 83,875 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Loving Plague. Only really had a quick play but it's engaging. Hope it has some longevity.
  • richardiox 27 Jun 2012 15:06:25 5,420 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Radiant Defense is amazing, free too. Live the art style, great look to it and amazing soundtrack. Such good value decided to make a couple of in app purchases to support the devs. Best TD game since Plants Vs Zombies.
  • TechnoHippy 28 Jun 2012 09:17:12 14,637 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Musket & Artillary turned out to be a poor Axis & Allies clone. I'm playing Total War Battles at the moment. It has some nice ideas, but I'm not a fan of the puzzlee based base building.

• the_dudefather 28 Jun 2012 09:21:21 8,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To celebrate Atari's 40th anniversary, everything in Atari's greatest hits for ios is free today

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ataris-greatest-hits/id422966028?mt=8

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• TechnoHippy 28 Jun 2012 09:30:40 14,637 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    To celebrate Atari's 40th anniversary, everything in Atari's greatest hits for ios is free today

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ataris-greatest-hits/id422966028?mt=8
    Not quite, you still have to use in-app purchase to unlock games, I think you get Missile Command for free.

• the_dudefather 28 Jun 2012 09:34:13 8,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Was going by this story, haven't checked personally yet

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/355667/get-100-atari-games-for-free-right-now/

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• The_Foo_Fighter 28 Jun 2012 10:26:56 724 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, you get them free. you have to select which ones you want and as long as they stay on your iPhone, they stay free.
  • HoriZon 28 Jun 2012 22:06:23 13,461 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chrome for iOS is now out.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/chrome/id535886823?mt=8

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• kentmonkey 28 Jun 2012 22:20:32 20,076 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That Atari collection is utterly shit. I tried quite a few of the games, and none of them were controllable. Awful.
  • Slurmseh 28 Jun 2012 23:05:27 2,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hooray Chrome! I'd love if they implemented a swipe to go forward and back instead of swipe for tabs.
  • richardiox 29 Jun 2012 00:11:03 5,420 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    Chrome for iOS is now out.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/chrome/id535886823?mt=8

"the item you tried to buy is no longer available"

Weird, the listing is still in the App Store
  • BillMurray 29 Jun 2012 00:17:57 7,235 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Works fine for me!
  • HoriZon 29 Jun 2012 00:53:59 13,461 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Its great tbh on the iPhone and iPad, easy to use syncs all your bookmarks can see what page is open on each device as well as the Chromebook and the beta version of desktop Chrome. Incognito/private browsing without having to go to the options page like Safari.

Best browser on iOS!

Now if Apple let you pick a default browser it would be even better, how they get away with that as MS got sued big time for doing it?

Edited by HoriZon at 00:58:26 29-06-2012

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• frugtkompot 29 Jun 2012 14:41:34 2,818 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For a first edition, I really like the new Chrome. I always hated mobile Safari's layout and I was particularly finding it difficult to live without the omnibox with adresses and search in the same place.

Didn't help that Apple have been very slow at innovating and evolving Safari.

Glad to see Chrome maintain many of the features and visual layout that we know from Chrome, even if they can't use their own rendering and add extensions ... yet.
  • Folant 30 Jun 2012 15:07:52 1,143 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just downloaded the Podcasts app(Featured tab). Seems really handy, all podcasts in a single, easy to use app.

But if I were to subscribe on my phone, will Podcasts download automatically when they become available? Would hate to subscribe and have my data allowance raped while I'm away from my wifi.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• yegon 30 Jun 2012 20:10:12 4,904 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can't answer your question, but for a better and fuller featured podcast app I suggest Downcast. If you're into podcasts its amongst the best apps you'll ever buy.
  • Folant 30 Jun 2012 21:37:57 1,143 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not really been into podcasts, only ones I've ever downloaded are actually a couple of EG episodes. Seemed too much of a pain to keep search every week, a bit long winded to get into multiple 'casts and have to search by name each week, so a hub for them all could well get me into a couple of game/tech/home life 'casts, and wasn't aware anything like that existed outside of a PC.

Had a look at that Downcast, seems pretty cool.

Edit;
    Stretched my Google-Fu a bit more, turns out I can select if I wanna download on 3G, Wifi or both after I subscribe on that app. Should be in an options section deprecate. Lol

Probably have a look at that Downcast.

Edited by Folant at 21:46:14 30-06-2012

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• TOOTR 4 Jul 2012 04:20:47 9,473 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    New Star Soccer is free today.

Not that it was hugely expensive or anything...

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Slurmseh 4 Jul 2012 05:58:04 2,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    NSS was always free? Unless they've dropped the in app purchase for career mode?
  • FutileResistor 4 Jul 2012 10:32:24 1,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Arcade mode is free. First 10 games in career mode is free and 69p to carry on after that.
  • tenofspades 7 Jul 2012 09:54:53 1,693 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The End App is rather good. Basically identical to Temple Run but with different theme.
    Haven't got into outwitters. Which appears to be very much like Hero Academy.
  • TechnoHippy 10 Jul 2012 13:58:44 14,637 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Total War Battlesd got annoying about halfway through the campaign, so I picked up Great Little Wargame and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

• Widge Moderator 13 Jul 2012 13:30:34 12,595 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I didn't like Chrome, I don't like the way it reloaded every time you go back into it. Didn't like not having a dedicated reload button. I may go back to it later.

In the realms of Pocket Planes, stockpiling a ridiculous amount of Bux to cash in at some point for mass crazy expansion. I've got 1300 Bux or so, which translates to over 22 or something.

I find their IAP fundamentally flawed, its more of a "quick start" fund, as by the time you get to the stage where you really need Bux, they are effectively worthless. One plane slot is now 22 worth and it'll go up from now.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• andywilkie35 13 Jul 2012 14:06:28 5,338 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone else downloaded the update for Tiny Wings? Tis alright, more of the same but races now really.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• tenofspades 14 Jul 2012 09:29:57 1,693 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Subway Surf.
    Solid, colourful runner with lots of character. Enjoyable 5 min-a-er game with aim of beating how far you'd got previously. 9/10

This Could Hurt
    Chillingo are amazing for bringing out polished unique games, and this is another. Control a guy with only one control-stopping the guy from walking into traps. Game has fantastic isometric perspective, and very enjoyable. It's criticism might be it gets a bit all too repetitive. 8/10
  • Page

of 365 First / Last