Blu-Ray Disc Recommendations thread Page 126

• Page

of 134 First / Last

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 16 Oct 2012 14:53:20 10,852 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @fletch7100 Indy definitely called them bastards on the DVD release, possibly even the final VHS release. What got me was Mola Ram holding the beating heart whilst the poor guy bursts into flames. Very graphic!

And yes, these deserve being viewed on a good TV and sound setup. Really does them justice.
  • fletch7100 16 Oct 2012 14:59:24 6,980 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Ignatius_Cheese

Just couldn't remember that bit, also when that guys chest heals itself after his heart is removed. That caught me off guard. When he is lowered into the lava that was a longer scene than I remember.

Same as Empire strikes back, as a kid watching it not a great fan. Years later I enjoy the films a whole lot more
  • beastmaster 24 Oct 2012 11:40:28 11,182 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Amazing Spiderman gets an amazing review!

How all Blu-Rays should be.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• fletch7100 24 Oct 2012 12:44:16 6,980 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Watching bond Blu ray box set. Have to say Golden Eye is a poor transfer compared to everything else
  • Trowel 31 Oct 2012 19:04:08 17,441 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection review - very good, but could have been much better. Still worth getting as the ones they got right are largely the ones they needed to (I really don't need yet another copy of Torn Curtain or Family Plot...).
  • Deleted user 9 November 2012 17:22:56
    My Neighbour Totoro

Never realised this was out next week \o/
  • beastmaster 20 Nov 2012 11:53:17 11,182 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Dark Knight Rises review from bluray.com

Looks pretty damn good. Just got the 30th Anniversary Blade Runner set. Will try it out some point very soon. Got about 5 different cuts of the film on it.

Edited by beastmaster at 11:53:40 20-11-2012

• kalel 20 Nov 2012 12:13:58 86,389 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks identical to the 25th anniversary set.
  • Gambit1977 20 Nov 2012 12:20:01 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Dark Knight Rises looks very good indeed on blu-ray. The snow scenes looks really great. BUT...

the sound mix.

Bane is now louder and 'clearer' (also known as FUNNIER), but at the expense of everyone else sounding like they're whispering.
  • TheSaint 20 Nov 2012 12:39:56 14,201 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Everyone knows the Blade Runner 7 3/4 Anniversary set is the only one worth owning.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 20 Nov 2012 13:00:32 12,740 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    The Dark Knight Rises review from bluray.com

Looks pretty damn good. Just got the 30th Anniversary Blade Runner set. Will try it out some point very soon. Got about 5 different cuts of the film on it.
    Awesome! Ordered!
  • BravoGolf Moderator 21 Dec 2012 11:06:52 12,740 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh my God The Dark Knight Rises is loud! Good fun though.

Here's a very informative article on the 48fps in The Hobbit, worth a read if you're interested in that sort of thing.
  • Maturin 21 Dec 2012 11:17:36 2,890 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Have just ordered the Swedish extended versions of Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy - Girl With the Dragon Tattoo etc. - £14 for the three movie boxset from Amazon. Which is nice.

Don't know if it's any good. Enjoyed the book. And now the Killing has finished we need some new bleak Scandi-drama for over Christmas.
  • Dougs 21 Dec 2012 11:35:10 66,705 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1st two are great, not got round to the 3rd yet. Some of the casting seems off from the book imo, but it's well enough acted.
  • TheSaint 21 Dec 2012 11:41:03 14,201 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Have just ordered the Swedish extended versions of Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy - Girl With the Dragon Tattoo etc. - £14 for the three movie boxset from Amazon. Which is nice.

Don't know if it's any good. Enjoyed the book. And now the Killing has finished we need some new bleak Scandi-drama for over Christmas.
    Worth checking out Borgen if you like your Scandinavian drama, only been one series shown so far but I thought it was better than The Killing. The Bridge is also worth a watch.
  • Maturin 21 Dec 2012 11:52:09 2,890 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Worth checking out Borgen if you like your Scandinavian drama, only been one series shown so far but I thought it was better than The Killing. The Bridge is also worth a watch.
    We're already big fans of Borgen and The Bridge here at our house. Really looking forward to season two of Borgen starting in January.
  • greg_wha 21 Dec 2012 13:48:44 191 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Maturin 1st is brilliant. I thought the second was absolute garbage though. Turned it off after 20 minutes; and I've sat through Sex in the City 2.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 21 Dec 2012 13:50:56 12,740 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's a shame, I watched the first and enjoyed it. Really liked Fincher's version

Edited by BravoGolf at 13:51:09 21-12-2012
  • Deleted user 23 December 2012 11:13:57
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    The Dark Knight Rises looks very good indeed on blu-ray. The snow scenes looks really great. BUT...

the sound mix.

Bane is now louder and 'clearer' (also known as FUNNIER), but at the expense of everyone else sounding like they're whispering.
    Really looking to seeing this film.

Maybe they need to remaster The Dark Knight:
    When The Dark Knight stormed Blu-ray, its arguably striking transfer earned top marks. However, some weren't so impressed. Contrast had been raised to detail-quashing extremes, color had been boosted, severe edge halos littered the image, and a variety of other eyesores left a small but vocal group of videophiles grumbling. Preservation and restoration expert Torsten Kaiser had this to say in a 2011 Blu-ray.com interview: "By far the biggest error its producers committed was the complete change of the film's original color timing. The Dark Knight was not copied with an optical printer. The original material – I held it in my hands – it was gorgeous. It was absolutely gorgeous. It was… I fell flat off my chair. The colors are so different compared to those that appear in the Blu-ray transfer. I've seen the Blu-ray once, and I've never looked at it again."
  • Maturin 23 Dec 2012 11:16:15 2,890 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    That's a shame, I watched the first and enjoyed it. Really liked Fincher's version
    I watched Fincher's version last night. It was pretty good.

Not got round to watching any of the Swedish blu-rays yet.

Edited by Maturin at 11:16:26 23-12-2012
  • beastmaster 24 Dec 2012 13:04:20 11,182 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Resident Evil Retribution review

Video - "It's perfect through and through, one of the best Blu-ray transfers of the year, if not across the format's entire history".

Audio - "This is a reference-level track from beginning to end; they just don't come a whole lot better than this".

Okay, they hate the film. I quite liked it myself but I'm quite surprised that they made it look and sound THAT good.

• BravoGolf Moderator 26 Dec 2012 21:02:00 12,740 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @beastmaster Meh, says I to myself, when I read that. It's a truly dark day to buy a blu-ray on it's av merits alone. I mean ... what's the point? But wow, what praise! I've often skim that site for movies of note and never have I read praise as high as that! Makes one consider how amazing The Hobbit will/should look!
  • captbirdseye 14 Jan 2013 22:42:13 4,783 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The 2D version of Dredd is absolutely shocking and possibly one of the worst transfers i've ever seen. Some scenes look awesome but then the next is just full of noise and grain that wouldn't look out of place on a VHS.

So disappointed by this.

I don't have a 3D TV but i'm told that the 3D version is excellent.
  • beastmaster 14 Jan 2013 23:27:53 11,182 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    The 2D version of Dredd is absolutely shocking and possibly one of the worst transfers i've ever seen. Some scenes look awesome but then the next is just full of noise and grain that wouldn't look out of place on a VHS.

So disappointed by this.

Just watched it in 2D. When it looks good, it's stunning. I thought some of the grain etc. was due to it bring CCTV footage etc. but there are a few scenes which really are Dreddful. Ahem...

• captbirdseye 14 Jan 2013 23:31:56 4,783 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:

So disappointed by this.

Just watched it in 2D. When it looks good, it's stunning. I thought some of the grain etc. was due to it bring CCTV footage etc. but there are a few scenes which really are Dreddful. Ahem...
    I thought the same but then it became a bit random for a style issue. I've looked around and it did get some pretty awful reviews 2D wise. I wish wqs hoping this was gonna be a show piece bluray but sadly it wasn't meant to be.
  • Deleted user 20 January 2013 12:23:10
    No Country For Old Men (2007) 10/10

The Blu-ray looks and sounds excellent!
    It can be picked up from HMV at the moment for £6 with their 25% off sale they have on at the moment.

Seen it before on DVD, so there’s no point in commenting on how good the film is. Time to sell the DVD.

Edited by blacksea at 17:50:44 20-01-2013
  • SYS64738 20 Jan 2013 17:29:56 1,586 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @blacksea

When was this released do you know? I asked for this in my local HMV a few months ago but they said dunno they don't have it (sounded more like it was out but they just don't stock it for whatever reason). Kinda moot now since they've closed shop but might try to find it online.
  • Deleted user 20 January 2013 17:50:14
    SYS64738 wrote:
    @blacksea

When was this released do you know? I asked for this in my local HMV a few months ago but they said dunno they don't have it (sounded more like it was out but they just don't stock it for whatever reason). Kinda moot now since they've closed shop but might try to find it online.
    It's been out for a while.
  • SYS64738 20 Jan 2013 17:55:54 1,586 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    SYS64738 wrote:
    @blacksea

It's been out for a while.
    Ok. Case of useless shop attendant then.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2013 21:20:44
    An American Werewolf In London

It’s better than the DVD, but not by much. The film is getting on a bit now, but so is Jaws, and look how good the Jaws Blu-ray looks. As we know, they gave the Jaws Blu-ray ***** treatment.

While the Blu-ray benefits from higher resolution, the picture looks brighter. Somehow the muted brightness of the DVD works better. I got the impression part of the Blu-ray process might have involved too much auto contrast.

Something I did notice on the Blu-ray which I have never noticed in the past (on Vhs and DVD) is during the scene that see’s the Werewolf appear from a tunnel on the London Underground at the bottom of an escalator. The front and rear paws can be seen, followed by a split second of a human foot. It gives the impression there’s someone walking right behind the Werewolf, which there is. A slight Goof there.
  • Page

of 134 First / Last