Elite: Dangerous Page 25

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• Rusty_M 2 Jun 2014 12:54:06 4,648 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Makes a change from just using a keyboard for the original game! I'd say a cheap flightstick with a hat would probably be the way to play this without going for a full HOTAS.
    You ALWAYS go full HOTAS

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Sponz 2 Jun 2014 13:03:29 648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've gone FULL HOTAS just for Elite. Pretty much every button / hat / switch / axis is mapped to something. Well happy with my investment, especially as Amazon mis-priced it by 80 less than normal on the day that I bought it. It is a Desktop hog though.
  • DamoVotf 2 Jun 2014 13:20:33 545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    Makes a change from just using a keyboard for the original game! I'd say a cheap flightstick with a hat would probably be the way to play this without going for a full HOTAS.
    You ALWAYS go full HOTAS
    Haha. I ordered an X55 Rhino but now I dont know when its actually going to be delivered.
  • estoo 2 Jun 2014 22:37:17 2,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been playing this brilliant Frontier remake on the laptop tonight to scratch the itch... I had heard of Oolite and others but I wasn't aware of this until today.

Definitely worth a free download if you have fond memories of Frontier

Pioneer
  • PearOfAnguish 3 Jun 2014 09:02:31 7,201 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has anyone got an X-55 yet? They look pretty badass. I'm tempted.
  • Widge Moderator 3 Jun 2014 09:36:24 13,436 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All I remember of Frontier (and Elite 3) was how badly they ran and how broken they were.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• beastmaster 3 Jun 2014 10:01:15 11,316 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    You ALWAYS go full HOTAS
    HOTAS Warhog?

Coming into PC gaming is a bit of a minefield. Good fun though just planning a set-up.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Sponz 3 Jun 2014 10:24:17 648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    All I remember of Frontier (and Elite 3) was how badly they ran and how broken they were.
    Elite 3:First Encounters was a terrible crashy bugfest, and Braben has gone on record several times to state that Konami forced him to release it before it was ready. Elite 2:Frontier was pretty stable on both the Amiga and 486 PC that I played it on back in 1993. It was better on the Amiga purely for its better graphics / sound at the time. However, when I got me one of those new fangled Pentiums and a Soundblaster card in 1995, the experience was most awesome, and I played it to death.

Edited by Sponz at 10:32:13 03-06-2014
  • estoo 3 Jun 2014 10:35:34 2,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The fully patched version of FFE (Elite 3) was pretty cool, I remember playing it through and reaching the Thargoid hidden system and getting their special ship for completing their missions.
    It had a military drive that could take you to the other side of the galaxy and back in time for tea!
  • Rusty_M 3 Jun 2014 13:50:12 4,648 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    You ALWAYS go full HOTAS
    HOTAS Warhog?

Coming into PC gaming is a bit of a minefield. Good fun though just planning a set-up.
    That's what I have. It's overkill, but very nice. Heavy and made of metal. Haven't got Elite, yet, so can't comment about how suitable it is. I can't imagine it being bad.

I did have an X52,but gave that away in the charity thread a couple of months ago.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Sponz 3 Jun 2014 13:54:43 648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got the Thrustmaster Warthog. It is immense, and works very well in ED.

In fact, I'm really tempted by one of these to go with it.
  • beastmaster 3 Jun 2014 13:54:51 11,316 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's going to be costly indeed (and I've not even got a PC yet).

Planning on getting some Astro A50s (I can use these on the consoles as well though), HOTAS Warhog and a beefy PC. OR as well when it arrives.

The game is obviously not going to be out this month. You think it'll be early next year?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Sponz 3 Jun 2014 15:57:23 648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not sure, it still needs a lot of work, so this year is optimistic...
  • Widge Moderator 4 Jun 2014 08:54:58 13,436 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wonder if this will work fine on just joypad? Looking at Star Citizen, all the flight and fight functions are completely mapped to 360 pad.

_ _ _

• Widge Moderator 4 Jun 2014 08:55:27 13,436 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sponz wrote:
    Not sure, it still needs a lot of work, so this year is optimistic...
    Again, what you have might not be what the devs have.

_ _ _

• estoo 4 Jun 2014 09:51:01 2,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Widge It does, I'm using the 360 controller, it's ideal. I remapped a few functions to my own tastes but perfectly playable by default.
  • Widge Moderator 4 Jun 2014 09:57:01 13,436 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I remember they initially demo'd it using one. I can imagine they'd want to keep everything stripped back as much as possible to use that as a primary method of playing.

_ _ _

• estoo 4 Jun 2014 10:23:18 2,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's a lot of functions you can access via your in ship computer (deploy landing gear, fuel scoop, manage systems power, navigation computer, comms etc) so I don't actually use the keyboard for anything right now.
    There was nothing mapped to the L+R thumb stick clicks by default so I assigned them to Supercruise and hyperspace.

D pad is used for prioritising power between weapons, engine and shields
    Bumpers are for throttle
    The B button is for looking around and accessing the computer; I reassigned that to silent running mode as I use trackir and don't need it.
    Triggers are for primary/secondary weapons
    Y selects target
    X if for Boosting
    A selects weapon configs

Left stick rolls
    Right stick strafes (I remapped the horizontal access to yaw instead)

There's a lot of adjustments you can make on the fly and I think the onboard computer is a pretty elegant solution they've come up with. It should mean people using the Oculus Rift won't have to worry too much about fumbling blindly for keys. They'll just glance over at it then scroll through options.
  • Widge Moderator 4 Jun 2014 14:30:44 13,436 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Forgive me for being totally ignorant, how does TrackIR work? Do you have to lean/turn your head but keep eyes transfixed forwards somehow?

Playing with Rift does sound sexy. I love the idea of looking across at my little hub to decide what to do next.

_ _ _

• Tiger_Walts 4 Jun 2014 15:04:23 16,587 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TrackIR amplifies your head movement. You can also edit the input-output curves so that it is less sensitive when you look in certain directions. Sort of like a squidgy snap-to. Handy in Elite to look at the menus on the consoles, or just make the forward view less jittery.

You do end up turning your head one way but looking the other. With a bit of fiddling, you should be able to find a setup that you are comfortable with.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• mingster 4 Jun 2014 17:16:55 3,270 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    360 pad works fine as Estoo says you can use a the flight computers as one key brings them up and the buttons double up to do selecting menus etc..
    I've got most buttons mapped except flight assist on/off, supercruise and hyperspace.
    I might even be able to squeeze them on the pad too by using a button toggle.

I've just loaded up the star citizen playable demo. The 360 pad works fine on that too. Not needed to use any keyboard keys and got to level 7 of the swarm mode.

It is much more arcades than Elite and easier to fly. It's more instant action no travel times. It will appeal to the less hardcore space gamer if their is such a thing.

I can see each having their own fanboys and slagging the other off as they are at opposite ends of the space game spectrum.

Graphics look nicer on star citizen though.
  • fluff_the_tiger 4 Jun 2014 18:02:49 182 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    watched loads of videos on this but holding off till the full release. There's a video about of someone using 3rd party voice control that looks really useful .

I predict a march 2015 release date but think the game is gonna be mega! I predict a 2019 release for star citizen lol
  • estoo 4 Jun 2014 19:22:44 2,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In many ways I'm starting to see Elite vs Star Citizen as Assetto Corsa vs Gran Turismo.

Star Citizen/GT have massive financial resources and seem to be focusing a mainly on the shiny ships/cars where Elite/AC seems to be more aimed at the genre enthusiast, created by a small team with a relatively small budget but with a great attention to detail and accuracy and a devoted hardcore following.

I'm not picking sides here, I'm looking forward to both!
  • estoo 17 Jun 2014 10:57:33 2,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Posted this in the Flight Sims thread but remember it being mentioned in here too so:

I got a promo code for 20 off an x-55 HOTAS thingy making it 150
    Have any of the regs here got one they can vouch for? I've heard wildly different things about them, especially concerned that the build quality might be less than stellar.

I can share the code if anyone wants it too, but I'll do it by pm rather than post on the forum as it's not supposed to be public.
  • DamoVotf 24 Jun 2014 13:25:08 545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    estoo wrote:
    Posted this in the Flight Sims thread but remember it being mentioned in here too so:

I got a promo code for 20 off an x-55 HOTAS thingy making it 150
    Have any of the regs here got one they can vouch for? I've heard wildly different things about them, especially concerned that the build quality might be less than stellar.

I can share the code if anyone wants it too, but I'll do it by pm rather than post on the forum as it's not supposed to be public.
    I got my X55 home yesterday and I am very pleased with it. Big and solid and very robust doesnt feel cheap or plastic to me, though it is the first proper stick I have owned.

Makes the game a lot more fun as well, I finished the training missions a lot easier with it and the ability to map everything is very cool.
  • estoo 24 Jun 2014 17:03:59 2,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do you have any of the common issues like squeeky rudder or clicking /sticking stick?

Lots of people reporting random buttons not working too.

Despite this I did go ahead and order one!
  • DamoVotf 24 Jun 2014 17:11:00 545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not that I noticed per say, all buttons seemed ok as well, though there is a lot to map and I am quite lazy.

Need to download Arena Commander and give that a go as well.

Its a hefty piece of kit, my GF came home and was asking WTF they were and why so big.
  • El_MUERkO 24 Jun 2014 17:53:01 16,970 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Whizzo 24 Jun 2014 21:12:48 43,088 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lovely!

This space left intentionally blank.

• barchetta 24 Jun 2014 23:24:31 1,323 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That is beautiful. The reveal of the habitat ring took my breath away.

Backed it very early thinking I'll easily have time to save for a PC... still saving and with each new video I sense my desired spec increases.....
  • Page

of 34 First / Last