Elite: Dangerous Page 174

• Page

of 175 First / Last

• infoxicated 23 Oct 2017 13:01:25 1,486 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've mostly played private, but after the experience of one of the Fuel Rats coming to my rescue (I was actually offline when I ran out of fuel, but just restarted the game in online mode), I now just stick it in online mode.

Haven't encountered any other human players yet.
  • [maven] 23 Oct 2017 13:06:49 5,542 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ok, sounds like a godsend that the Milky Way is so large, then! :p
  • orpheus 23 Oct 2017 13:12:59 1,811 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rhea-equivalent in Empire space used to be Quince, but not sure if it's any good still.

@[maven] Advanced combat tutorial is pretty damn hard... you did well to beat it! I think on consoles more people play in Open - seems to be fewer griefers.
  • Daz190uk 23 Oct 2017 13:50:34 227 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really want to like this game but every time I try to get in to it, eventually it just becomes too dull.

I know it's not really the point of Elite but I just wish they could add some more structured end game stuff to aspire to.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 23 Oct 2017 13:58:20 315 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So, here's where I am with games now.

Bought this because it was on sale, seemed like a good enough price; started it up to find you needed to link some other bullshit account so the game can blah blah zzzzzzzz...

When I came to, I was nearly done setting a world record high score in Battle Garegga. True story.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 23 Oct 2017 13:59:02 315 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Also, it's just occurred to me how suspect a term "came to" is.
  • tyke71 23 Oct 2017 15:30:41 59 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got this ages ago but due to work and kids I'm only now getting back into it.

Loving it so far and after doing a bit of exploring and my first CG, I'm planning on doing some of the Engineers upgrades.

Anybody got any recommendations on the best upgrades/Engineers to do first?
  • orpheus 23 Oct 2017 19:03:49 1,811 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Farseer first for the jump range. After that... take your pick:

https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers/
  • tyke71 23 Oct 2017 19:48:34 59 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That was my plan but then saw on some other sites that some people were saying to do Maartuuk to open up more of the other engineers. Upgrading the FSD seems like a no brainer but what other upgrades are worthwhile?
  • infoxicated 23 Oct 2017 23:52:39 1,486 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What a disaster tonight was. :(

I went all the way to Ray Gateway in Diaguandri to buy my Asp Explorer. Just to get a feel for it I took some lightweight cargo missions and a salvage operation that didn't seem too risky. I had to drop off cargo at a platform station above the planet where the salvage goods were, but when I went to go and do it an NPC would try to interdict me.

That failed, he appeared as I was attempting to salvage the goods and destroyed me in no time because although I could afford to buy the Asp X and kit it out a little, it wasn't nearly robust enough. I spawn at the platform station 360,000 credits worse off and try again. Same frickin' result.

Third time lucky, I get the salvage, dodge the interdiction on the way back, pick up my reward and beat a hasty retreat back to the systems where I'm on the cusp of being allied. I take a bunch of missions on my usual loop route, but when I get to one of the stations I'm in the letterbox and some big passenger freighter clips me as I crawl in because I'm still not used to the dimensions of the Asp X.

Of course, I get the fine, which means I can't land and I'm now trespassing. So I try to get back out of the station and boom, the police have destroyed my ship before I even get back out of the letterbox. I spawn at the previous station and make my way there again, they give me landing permission no problem but the second I enter the doorway all hell breaks loose and I'm destroyed again!

So now I'm 700,000 in debt after having to replace the new ship for the fourth time in the space of two hours and "upgrading" to the Asp X seems like a terrible idea!

I make a 28 jump round trip to save less than a million on a ship and end up getting skinned for more than that replacing the thing!

I wish I knew what went wrong at Wicca Town in Gateway. I tentatively went back one last time and I was able to land no problem at all, with Zero outstanding fines. I can see why people quit on this game early doors - if that had been my initial experience I would have given up too. :)
  • orpheus 24 Oct 2017 11:03:07 1,811 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @tyke71 Doesn't really matter whether you use Farseer or Martuuk for FSD mods, both will offer invites to other engineers once you hit tier 3/4. Do whichever one sounds easier to unlock. Over time you'll end up doing most/all of them anyway.

As for mods, it depends what you want to do with the ship. Got a combat ship that doesn't quite have the power needed for your preferred weapon layout? Mod the power plant for a little extra output. Mod weapons for range or damage or to synergise with other weapon picks. And so on...

Start with the easy stuff. Mod drives, thrusters etc. to get visible changes in range, handling etc. Then think about what else you can mod on the ship and what would work best for the kind of ship you want to make.
  • tyke71 24 Oct 2017 13:15:10 59 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Orpheus Cheers, Farseer it is then. Hopefully by the time I hit tier 3 I'll have more ships and a clearer idea of what I want to mod.
  • orpheus 24 Oct 2017 19:10:11 1,811 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @tyke71 You can hit tier 3 pretty fast with just grade 1 mats. Get a fuckton of iron, suplhur or something common - you'll probably find you've got some anyway if you've ever done any planetary prospecting - and just burn through upgrades.

3x tier 1 mods unlocks tier 2, 3x tier 2 mods unlocks tier 3, and so on. New invites usually appear between tier 3 & 4.

Honestly don't worry about the optimal way to unlock engineers. Decide what you want to mod, then use inara to work out how to get it. Once you get a few invites will snowball a bit and you can pick & choose from there.
  • DamoVotf 25 Oct 2017 09:33:49 1,229 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So I tracked to Quince and there are zero missions there for me, so another 25 jumps back to Cubeo and loads of missions there. Time to settle in.
  • SYS64738 25 Oct 2017 10:44:19 4,842 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking of Engineers, brought my AspX to Farseer last night, managed to extend my jump range to over 40Ly\o/ Combined with well paying passenger missions (have Allied status in Sol, there was a mission transporting a rich tourist to two sites, both within 100Ly, earning 2.7m credits. Easy money.

Also impulse purchased a Vulture and A rated it in Ray Gateway (they literally have EVERYthing!). Realised that my power plant wasn't up to the task, so went to one of the engineers to improve it - but went to the wrong one. Got so used to my 6B fuel scoop in the AspX and its jump range, the commute there in the Vulture was such a pain.

Only then realised/learned properly how to use power management, so the trip wasn't even necessary. Good hour or so wasted on that trip alone... I love/hate this game.
  • spindizzy 25 Oct 2017 11:44:35 7,681 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think vultures can always use more power so I doubt the trip was wasted.
  • SYS64738 25 Oct 2017 11:52:07 4,842 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well I went to the wrong engineer (Dweller, although I managed to upgrade the power distributor and pulse laser at least) so yes it was ultimately a bit of a waste, considering why I wanted to visit there:)

Didn't have time to get into combat, am curious how I will fare this time - had a Vulture before but didn't kit it out properly (lack of funds and knowledge in terms of combat outfitting), usually ended up with a cracked canopy having to rush back to base. My flying skills, playing with XBO pad and flight assist on, also aren't great which I believe doesn't help with the Vulture in particular.
  • Dirtbox 25 Oct 2017 12:38:25 89,372 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bit of a waste of time upgrading pulse lasers imo.

Something useful to know, Vultures are better off with Prismatic shields because they recharge faster and use less power.
  • tyke71 25 Oct 2017 13:15:41 59 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I also went to Farseer last night and now I have a problem.

I'd not done anything with the SRV yet so I thought I'd take it for a spin around the base. Unfortunately I was getting used to the controls I managed to accidentally fire the turret and pick up a fine.

The problem is I can't work out how to pay it as when I got back to the ship the option in the services menu to pay fines isn't there?

I'm now worried that when I go back I'm likely to get shot at!
  • SYS64738 25 Oct 2017 13:26:29 4,842 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Bit of a waste of time upgrading pulse lasers imo.

Something useful to know, Vultures are better off with Prismatic shields because they recharge faster and use less power.
    Yeah, only did it because I was there already and had the materials at hand.

Thanks for the other tip though, will check out the shop @ Ray later.
  • SYS64738 25 Oct 2017 13:28:36 4,842 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @tyke71 Ha something similar happened to me last night, at the Dweller. Wanted to fire off a shot to try out the power mgmt options work ok, forgot I was still in the no-fire zone.

I just turned around, asked for landing permission, and was able to pay the fine there, no problem. Nobody fired at me although it was only a 100cr mini penalty.
  • orpheus 25 Oct 2017 13:46:10 1,811 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @tyke71 Garay Terminal in Deciat should be populated by the same factions, land there to pay off the fine.

Edit: think dirtbox means bi-weave shields. Prismatics are locked to one of the powerplay factions.

Edited by orpheus at 13:47:10 25-10-2017
  • SYS64738 25 Oct 2017 13:50:30 4,842 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just realised I told a lie, didn't pay the fine, just ignored it as the engineer base let me land.

And yeah re the bi-weave shields, I remember those were the ones that recharged quicker so makes sense.
  • SYS64738 25 Oct 2017 17:07:16 4,842 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    By the way, I'm starting to think FDev is trolling us with the more recent CG's.

Two Combat CGs in Colonia of all places? Fuck off.

Really hope 2.4 picks up soon. So far it's been a damp squib.
  • Dirtbox 25 Oct 2017 17:08:36 89,372 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @orpheus Yeah, bi-weave. Been a while since I played.
  • orpheus 26 Oct 2017 15:10:49 1,811 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    iirc there's a backlog of player submitted CGs to get through before any more alien-related ones show up. How many, I don't know.

In other news I finished the Fed rank grind last night and am now the proud owner of a Corvette. Looking forward to firing the two class-4 plasma accelerators in anger, it's a beast of a ship. Cockpit is great too. Gonna be a long time before I tackle another rank grind though, was pretty soul destroying.
  • DoogieEve 26 Oct 2017 15:21:05 41 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @orpheus

Hey Saul :) I think.

Anyway, can I ask how you did the grind? I'm just short of Captain, and having looked online at the various recommendations for quick Fed rank, they all look like a very, very long grind indeed (and I generally like a grind). What did you find was quickest?
  • orpheus 26 Oct 2017 22:03:13 1,811 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DoogieEve indeed it is, hope all is well old chap! Elite is my space-game home these days, alpha clones didn't tempt me back :)

I did a few things for the fed rank. Built up some just from years of playing but the two main things were: bulk economy passenger missions (Rhea > LQ Hydrae) and data mission stacking (Kamahu < > Dakondunii).

Bulk economy pays out well in the right systems which helps with the crazy fitting costs of the Corvette. Stacking 20 data missions is more bang per trip at higher levels but pays peanuts.

I'm Isozaki in Elite, chuck me an add.:)

Edited by orpheus at 23:36:09 26-10-2017
  • [maven] 19 Nov 2017 20:41:19 5,542 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm pretty sure that the most recent updates of Elite Dangerous on the PS4 Pro use a higher resolution than 1080p in Quality Mode.
  • OnlyJoeKing 23 Nov 2017 00:53:08 312 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In case anyone's been after one, Ł20 for a flight stick is a bit of a steal.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/thrustmaster-t-flight-hotas-x-joystickfor-pc-ps3-1999-at-gamecouk-2836098
  • Page

of 175 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.