So, no one cares about tennis, now 'Wimbly' is over? Page 105

• Page

of 112 First / Last

• Jono62 9 Jun 2013 14:59:38 14,199 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Unfortunately so. Ferrer doesn't have the power to go toe to toe with Nadal. Shame really as I'd like someone else to win for a change!
  • CharlieStCloud 9 Jun 2013 17:00:01 5,288 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh well ... seems the 'final' happened two days ago!

God, Nadal is a BEAST on clay.

Anyone thinks he could go ten years at Roland Garros?

Not long to long until Wimbledon (24th of June). It'll be interesting to see if Moo Moo wins Queens for the third time too.

... be amusing to see this thread with the annual fortnightly members soon!

; )
  • CharlieStCloud 14 Jun 2013 18:30:02 5,288 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No one overly bothersome about Queens?

Moo Moo is in the semi-final after an enjoyable second set against Becker.

... be nice to see a Tsonga and Moo Moo final again!

: )

I wish I had a place to rent out in London (for a month) in June to watch all this glorious tennis.
  • senso-ji 15 Jun 2013 18:54:46 5,969 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tsonga one set up against Murray. Can't say I surprised, as Tsonga is playing very well and Murray is looking rusty after his comeback from injury.
  • Jono62 15 Jun 2013 19:38:03 14,199 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    1-1 in sets in both games.
  • Jono62 15 Jun 2013 19:48:57 14,199 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Murray running away with in the final set.
  • Trowel 15 Jun 2013 20:14:34 17,910 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Backed Cilic for Wimbledon at 170 earlier today, he's come in nicely to lay off later.
  • Psychotext 16 Jun 2013 19:21:15 54,405 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yay Moo Moo?
  • CharlieStCloud 17 Jun 2013 09:15:03 5,288 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Yay Moo Moo?
    Yay Moo Moo indeed!

I was watching this on TV for a little while yesterday afternoon until the on/off rain delays soon got on my nerves and of course, I was lured away by 'The Last of Us' and soon gradually forgot about the tennis altogether.

I got a feeling Murray will either reach the semi-final and lose against the eventual winner of Wimbledon, or reach the final and lose. I sound harsh on the surface of things however, being at home has that extra sensitive pressure you don't feel quite as much at the other three Grand Slams.

I shall be there on day four by the way ... am sssoooooo looking forward to it!

• senso-ji 21 Jun 2013 11:55:44 5,969 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Draw for this year's Wimbledon has been released

Could be a Federer/Nadal quarter final, and Andy Murray could face James Ward in the Second round (when was the last time two Brits played against each other at Wimbledon?).

Looking forward to it, should be a good one this year.
  • TheSaint 21 Jun 2013 12:39:34 14,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My enjoyment will be directly related to how quickly Murray is knocked out.
  • imamazed 21 Jun 2013 12:40:38 5,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Come on Tim!
  • Monstro 21 Jun 2013 12:51:31 23 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Murray will do well - the two danger players for him are Nadal and Djokovic. I reckon he'll take Novo in the final, but Nadal in the semis would be a real scare.

It's worth keeping a close eye on Laura Robson, too (behave!). Fingers crossed she'll have a good run and make the quarters or even semis.
  • TarickStonefire 21 Jun 2013 13:52:24 3,242 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I heard Andy loses in his first match but they re-played the match twice more until he won, Craigy's Sister stylee, because they get better viewing figures that way, he's the nation's only source of positivity. The government pays good cash to the BBC and the players to make sure Murray's performance distracts as much as possible from all the shit they've got scheduled to come out over the next two weeks...

Um, we *do* all know Wimbledon is pre-recorded during April, right? When people go to see it 'live' the players are just re-enacting what's already been determined and rehearsed a few months prior. They're all in on it, it's the biggest scam since Scientology.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:55:44 21-06-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Alastair 21 Jun 2013 13:55:55 16,070 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Could be a Federer/Nadal quarter final, and Andy Murray could face James Ward in the Second round (when was the last time two Brits played against each other at Wimbledon?).
    Didn't Murray play Henman and knock him out in Henman's final year at Wimbledon.
  • Alastair 21 Jun 2013 13:58:01 16,070 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    I heard Andy loses in his first match but they re-played the match twice more until he won, Craigy's Sister stylee, because they get better viewing figures that way, he's the nation's only source of positivity. The government pays good cash to the BBC and the players to make sure Murray's performance distracts as much as possible from all the shit they've got scheduled to come out over the next two weeks...

Um, we *do* all know Wimbledon is pre-recorded during April, right? When people go to see it 'live' the players are just re-enacting what's already been determined and rehearsed a few months prior. They're all in on it, it's the biggest scam since Scientology.
    You need to be careful, making crappy jokes about tennis. Pistol will be along to call you a prick shortly. In this case, I'd probably agree with him.
  • CharlieStCloud 23 Jun 2013 20:45:01 5,288 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The best sporting event in the WORLD begins tomorrow.

... am super excited!

• Trowel 24 Jun 2013 07:24:59 17,910 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Murrisons
  • THFourteen 24 Jun 2013 08:58:46 33,874 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    The best sporting event in the WORLD begins tomorrow.

... am super excited!

The Emirates Cup isn't till august.

But Wimbledon's on in the meantime.
  • CharlieStCloud 24 Jun 2013 09:10:05 5,288 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    The Emirates Cup isn't till august.
    Oh yes!

The what cup?

Serena and Maria might have the first actual cat fight on court if they play against each other.
  • Alastair 29 Aug 2013 21:56:05 16,070 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, Dan Evans then..
    One game away from US Open 3rd round.
  • Alastair 29 Aug 2013 21:59:52 16,070 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He's done it!
  • Trane 29 Aug 2013 22:02:46 4,056 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do we finally have someone other than Muzza that can play a bit? Here's hoping this is a springboard for him.
  • Alastair 29 Aug 2013 22:13:14 16,070 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seems like it. Hope this isn't a flash in the pan. Think he's had some good results this year. To be honest, I don't follow tennis as closely as some...
  • Trane 29 Aug 2013 22:16:18 4,056 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know he had a good result against the Russkies for us in the Davies Cup, apart from that I haven't seen him - and I do follow it fairly closely :p
  • Alastair 29 Aug 2013 22:23:20 16,070 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just read an article on the BBC. Seems he's gone from rank 400ish to about 179 in just over a year. A good run at the US can only help.
  • Stickman 29 Aug 2013 23:06:28 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apparently, he's basically just decided that he's going to actually try to be a good tennis player, rather than the usual Brit thing of being a club pro and fucking around, playing at being a tennis player. Made some big sacrifices this year and just thrown himself at it as a career. Fair play, he seems to be making a decent fist of it so far!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• pistol 30 Aug 2013 09:17:23 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Do we finally have someone other than Muzza that can play a bit? Here's hoping this is a springboard for him.
    Evan's has been around for a while but had a reputation of not taking life too seriously until recently. I have a feeling Robredo will bring him down to earth in the next round. Other than Murray, who spent most of his early tennis outside of the UK and away from the ATP, the rest of the Brits have been criticised for being spoilt and not wanting it enough. Lots of talented kids around but they all seemed to piss about because the ATP gave them too much support. You only have to listen to Evan's being interviewed about his recent partying to see. I would be suprised if the likes of Djokovic or any other player climbing the ladder as a junior would be like that.

I've spent many years playing and also used to work for the ITF for a bit in my youth based at Queens and in my humble opinion this is one of the many reasons why we don't produce many top players.

Brit's in tennis are spoilt..
  • Slint1000 30 Aug 2013 09:29:13 3,078 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well hopefully this run of his will be a great example to all of the other British underachievers for what could happen if they just apply themselves instead of pissing away their talent.
  • pistol 30 Aug 2013 13:06:12 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Slint1000 wrote:
    Well hopefully this run of his will be a great example to all of the other British underachievers for what could happen if they just apply themselves instead of pissing away their talent.
    It certainly does seem to be getting better, especially with the likes of Watson and Robson creeping up the rankings. The usual big guns such as USA and Australia who've been tennis nations for decades are also struggling compared to their usual dominance and they're not having it their own way either. Especially with the US. The likes of Agassi, Sampras, Courier, Chang, Roddick etc. Doubt they'll ever get that sort of dominance back. Europe has pretty much taken over the sport.
  • Page

of 112 First / Last