ArmA 2 Page 33

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• Ajay 18 Sep 2011 17:37:53 2,412 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Know of any good setup guides for Six Updater? I managed to get it installed last week, but aside from understanding the basic idea that it manages mods for you I haven't got the faintest clue how I'm meant to operate it. More than happy to have a crack at it before tonight if so.
  • Ajay 18 Sep 2011 18:03:02 2,412 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Er, nevermind. I've just found a video tutorial for 2.0 that I wateched - then realised the video for 2.5 is over half an hour long. I'm assuming that'll be more relevant to the current 2.7 than the original, so I'll try and find time to watch it - maybe not before tonight though.
  • orpheus 18 Sep 2011 18:07:29 1,007 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok going from memory here of what Pure told me to get mine sorted:

Run Six Updater
    On left hand side you should have A2 OA - A.C.E (8) parent menu which consists of:
    @ACE (D)
    @ACEX (D)
    @ACEX_RU
    @ACEX_SM
    @ACEX_USNavy
    @CBA (D)

in yellow and @CBA_A2 (D) and @ CBA_OA (D) in black.

Click the main parent menu A2 OA - A.C.E (8), use the 'Install or Update' green button in the top left and select 'Install or Update' from the list of options. This should install and update your mods, you'll see the 6 yellow icons go green on the left once it's done, the remaining two black mods should remain the same. That should be it for updating the main mods.

Then go the 'mods' tab in the SU window (next to homepage/server browser tabs), find 'ACRE'. Rclick, find update options in the list and 'install or update' as you did with the others. Do the same for JayArma2Lib and IVD, also under the mods tab. This will add/update the ACRE radio simulation (when it asks to add something to Teamspeak, say yes) and Instant View Distance.

Then add the following command line to Steam (rclick OA, select properties/launch options):

"-mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_SM;@ACEX_RU;@ACEX_USNavy;@IVD;@JayArma2Lib;@ACRE;"

Pure & the chaps use an ArmaLauncher program, but this way will run fine from Steam (just select 'launch Combined Ops as usual).

Hope that helps!
  • Ajay 18 Sep 2011 18:13:09 2,412 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Absolutely awesome, cheers! I'm part way through getting all the ACE mods now (got over-enthusiastic with the clicking when I was watching the second vid, didn't realise it would automate on selection), so I'll give the rest a shot too.

Much appreciated!
  • orpheus 18 Sep 2011 18:19:36 1,007 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Those are the ones I've used with Pure & co on non-sunday night games so I don't know what any of the others do - if you just get those ones you should be fine. :)
  • Rusty_M 18 Sep 2011 18:23:36 4,763 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do these mods affect the single player campaigns much? Im interested to find out what they bring to the table.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• orpheus 18 Sep 2011 18:30:18 1,007 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mostly it's better sounds, more weapons & more realism - steadying weapons, back-blast from launchers, that kind of thing.

Saying 'better sounds' doesn't really do it justice though, it has to be heard to be believed at times, especially when the shit hits the fan and all hell is breaking loose. The mods are worth getting just for the sounds imo.

ACRE is a mod that alters teamspeak to work like a radio - directional/ranged voice for normal speaking with your push-to-talk (so if you're too far you can't hear) and an extra radio transmission key for longer ranged comms that has 'radio effects' applied to it. Can be a bit of an arse to get working but adds a lot when it does.

Just to mention again that these aren't required - but as we're approaching a 'core' of regular players with the occasional new/old face, it seems like the time to start thinking about using mods. If people want to join without mods then the group will switch them off for the night to let new gamers tag along with the minimum of hassle. :)
  • Ajay 18 Sep 2011 18:31:52 2,412 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seem to have everything now. So, would I need to add all that lot to a preset, or is there a way that I can set them to just load when necessary? The Dynamic preset seems to just be to to with updating.
  • orpheus 18 Sep 2011 18:37:48 1,007 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To choose whether you run them in any particular game session you mean? Don't think so, not via SU anyway. Like I say Pure & the chaps use an Arma launcher (I'm sure Pure'll post us the link if we ask nicely), but I use the Steam/command line method as I had trouble making the ArmaLauncher run combined ops, and just edit the command line when I don't want to run the mods.
  • Ajay 18 Sep 2011 18:45:50 2,412 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Awesome, makes sense to me too since I'm still getting my head around it all. Thanks again, just having a quick play now and ACE alone introduces a hell of a lot of stuff... going to have to make sure my keybinds don't conflict with all the windage adjustment and stuff!
  • pureuncut 18 Sep 2011 19:30:58 3 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The standard keybinds for ACE shouldn't get in the way of the arma default keys.

It's the little details that make it for me, SMAWs now have the spotting rifle for rangefinding and all the launchers have proper ballistic arcs. Sitting next to your buddy firing a .50 will quickly deafen you if you haven't put in your earplugs.

And the sound is terrifying.

Here's the arma launcher link, got some good options that let you load in without the splash screen and in an empty world to make things a bit quicker. Also the CPU count commands if you use them.

Arma 2 Launcher
  • Randell 19 Sep 2011 20:20:48 77 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ok all installed, using launcher as my Arma isn't a steam game
  • Tiger_Walts 19 Sep 2011 22:14:21 16,607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Figured out why certain sounds weren't playing and why my action menu sometimes didn't work. When I went to remove the -mod command line parameters, I only managed to remove the latter half of the text and so a few of the mods got loaded in. Still worked for all those missions though.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• orpheus 20 Sep 2011 15:58:06 1,007 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LOl at least you found the problem, we should be all mod-ready for next week. :D
  • Ajay 20 Sep 2011 20:52:32 2,412 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorted my Acre issue with a full reinstall of TS3 I think, or at least it now shows the plugin as active. Not tried it in game yet but it should be alright. Think it was something to do with the TS install options - used the defaults and it worked fine.
  • orpheus 25 Sep 2011 15:12:32 1,007 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've a stinking hangover but as we've got our mods sorted this week I'm soldiering on (no pun intended).. might be one or two new faces joining us this week too.

Half 7-8ish as usual chaps?
  • Rusty_M 25 Sep 2011 18:04:59 4,763 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I should be up for that. Think I'm modded correctly.

• Tiger_Walts 25 Sep 2011 18:47:09 16,607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Will probably leave early-ish, but I'll be on.

Not got a joypad today so someone else can fly.

• El_MUERkO 26 Sep 2011 10:04:00 17,075 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good games last night, finally completing the zombie mission was stressful indeed :D
  • orpheus 26 Sep 2011 14:10:23 1,007 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah chuffed we finally finished that, was a tough one!!
  • Ajay 26 Sep 2011 19:45:50 2,412 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was awesome. I'm pretty impressed the designer managed to strike the balance at the end of making it pitch black with just enough light to navigate by - that hike up the road from the final village was bloody tense.
  • Randell 26 Sep 2011 22:58:56 77 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    damn, sorry guys, finished my work at 9.30!
  • Tiger_Walts 27 Sep 2011 13:29:21 16,607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aw, shame I had to leave.

Sorry about the TK. I heard someone say a zombie was heading from X direction, I looked that way, and saw a figure sprinting with no visible weapon. I didn't expect to down him in one shot from that distance and angle.

• Rusty_M 27 Sep 2011 20:38:21 4,763 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    that was hilarious. We then proceeded to kill each other before the restart.

• Tiger_Walts 27 Sep 2011 21:02:16 16,607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Still, epic ARMA 2 cock-up of the week goes to ITV.

• Tiger_Walts 2 Oct 2011 15:36:34 16,607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    New video card \o/

Wow, ARMA with a smooth framerate is a novel experience.

• orpheus 2 Oct 2011 16:30:52 1,007 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nice dude! Need one myself really, have to wait til after xmas tho sadly. I won't be about tonight as I'm at the movies but hope you have a good one!
  • Tiger_Walts 2 Oct 2011 18:52:30 16,607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mods need updating. Don't know if we're using them but I'm doing mine right now.

• Rusty_M 2 Oct 2011 21:37:02 4,763 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oops...forgot about this after getting a TM HOTAS Warthog on Friday and my car breaking today. maybe next week.

• Page

of 35 First / Last