Learning Japanese I think I'm learning Japanese I really think so Page 2

• Page

of 51 First / Last

• dr_swin 21 Jul 2008 14:51:37 4,901 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I tried from that 'learn japananese in 10 minutes a day' book but gave up after a few weeks. It was very basic but great fun. It introduces you to basic verbs, telling the time, colours etc. It also has stickers that you can attach to everday objects. I think I would need to attend a class. I don't have the discipline needed without one.

I loved the japanese english words like aisu hokke and aisu kurimo.
  • Dizzy 21 Jul 2008 15:19:23 2,711 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Get a Japanese girlfriend.

Case closed.
  • SirScratchalot 21 Jul 2008 15:34:28 7,876 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    1. Go to itunes music store
    2. subscribe to the "Japanesecast"
    3. Listen on the bus from podcast 1.

Haven't used this one but all the french-podcasts are ace.
    Nothing can replace immersing yourself in actually trying to understand the language.
  • Razz 21 Jul 2008 15:35:30 61,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh? Do they have a chinese one? I might have to finally break my iTunes embargo and virginity and get into this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• SirScratchalot 21 Jul 2008 15:37:46 7,876 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chineselearnonline should set you up...
    Edit: There are like ten more, but this one has the highest grade.
  • Razz 21 Jul 2008 15:42:24 61,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for that. Seems a bit basic for me though. But I'll defo reccomend it to some friends.

• SirScratchalot 21 Jul 2008 15:50:49 7,876 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Then try Learn Chinese while you laugh - America vs Taiwan for advanced/intermediate students.
    And it just sounds awesome.

Also, it has an "explicit" warning. :D
  • Razz 21 Jul 2008 15:55:50 61,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh cheers! I'll have a look at that when I get home.

• ProfessorLesser 21 Jul 2008 17:04:27 19,358 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    1. Go to itunes music store
    You'd have to force me at gunpoint to get iTunes first.
    Dizzy wrote:
    Would if I could :-(
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Just bekause.
    This post is funny.

In other news, I noticed Daisy said she was using/had used/whatever the 'Teach Yourself' range, which I've just noticed is the range I am also using. Seems good, but I need to got the Japanese Script book to learn to write... it's bloody difficult piecing together various bits from the other one, which only has one chapter on reading and writing :-(

Btw Razz thanks for your PM. I'll let you know how I find it in 14 days when it's finished downloading because I don't know how to configure my ports properly!
  • Razz 21 Jul 2008 17:06:06 61,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:
    Would if I could :-(
    Aha! The true purpose is revealed! :D

It's not hard mate. Come down to London for the weekend and I promise I can find you one in 2 days.

• Telepathic.Geometry 21 Jul 2008 17:08:47 11,399 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't trust him Prof! That's what he told me too and I got bummed instead. >.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• ilmaestro 21 Jul 2008 17:09:35 32,465 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, cheers Prof.

• Razz 21 Jul 2008 17:09:49 61,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    hehehe!

/rubs cock nefariously

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 21 Jul 2008 21:43:13 610 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One site I found was quite helpful as a grammar focused site is : Tae Kim's guide to Japanese grammar
    Bookwise I haven't used a lot, my Japanese course at Uni is based on the Minna no Nihongo books (which require a core book, a translation&grammar guide, and a kanji book for a sensible minimum at whatever level you want), but they're not the cheapest.

Kanji I tend to try to remember by rote, but whilst also trying to write with them, never had much luck with flashcards despite owning the White Rabbit Press ones, which are considered to be some of the better ones available. And it is worth following the above advice and practice using katakana and hiragana to write words and names you happen to know as practice. And start kanji as soon as you can as it easier to learn in conjunction with words and grammar.

edited due to foolishly hitting power button on keyboard midmessage and sending before it killed firefox...
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 21 Jul 2008 21:55:21 610 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On the other hand I feel my langauge skills are woefully inadequate for the 9 months I'm going to be spending in Japan from this September... (just finished second year at Uni)

• ilmaestro 21 Jul 2008 21:56:02 32,465 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Where are you studying, O_V_G? Also, don't worry about your language level before you go to Japan, with the basics sorted you'll pick up more in that one year than in the other years of your course combined.

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 21 Jul 2008 22:38:35 610 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Where are you studying, O_V_G? Also, don't worry about your language level before you go to Japan, with the basics sorted you'll pick up more in that one year than in the other years of your course combined.

Hirakata, so going to have the extra challenge of living in the Kansai region which I hear is a lot faster to listen to (and all the changes to word endings, words etc they like to use). I hope to pick up a lot more while I'm there as studying at home alone is a nightmare even with JRPGs for practice :) The speaking and listening practice will be valuable though as I lack confidence in both, and am more comfortable reading and writing.

• ilmaestro 21 Jul 2008 23:04:26 32,465 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I apologize, I wasn't very clear - where are you studying in the UK?

Although it is interesting to hear where you're studying in Japan, I was in Tokyo for my year but would love to spend some time somewhere in Kansai at some point.

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 22 Jul 2008 01:03:39 610 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    I apologize, I wasn't very clear - where are you studying in the UK?

Although it is interesting to hear where you're studying in Japan, I was in Tokyo for my year but would love to spend some time somewhere in Kansai at some point.

Ah, misunderstood. Newcastle Uni.

Administrative hell, but not totally awful :)

I plan to visit Tokyo at some point (of course) but decided I'd rather not spend the year there.

• ilmaestro 22 Jul 2008 01:14:21 32,465 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, I was at Durham, along with another forumite.

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 22 Jul 2008 07:49:39 610 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We had some of Durham's teaching staff before they closed their Japanese department (Naomi Cross in 1st year and Robert Kasza in both). I've thought the teaching standard has been good wwithin the limitations set by a Uni focused on Medical Students (4 hrs a week of language teaching is atrocious though), but the teaching staff have done a good job within that limitation).

• dr_swin 22 Jul 2008 08:56:42 4,901 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That is an interesting comment. what do you mean?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 23 Jul 2008 17:18:48 610 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    which comment?
  • FWB 23 Jul 2008 17:23:15 44,833 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hiragana and katakana can be learned solidly (both of them) in one week. Make yourself some cards and just look at them as often as you can. Practise writing them* as often as you can. That will help A LOT. Best way to learn. Don't start studying through romanji. I know it's going to seem easier but once you get over the initial hump it'll be a lot better for you.

*And use the correct strokes.
  • ilmaestro 23 Jul 2008 21:48:55 32,465 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    We had some of Durham's teaching staff before they closed their Japanese department
    Heh, that was actually my underlying motive for asking you where you were studying. ^_^ I liked Naomi Cross (not convinced she liked me so much ^^;), she did my interview for getting into Durham. Didn't have Kasza though as he came into Durham as I was finishing-ish.

FWB is spot on with the kana learning, we were sent hiragana and katakana charts a week before we started and were expected to have them learnt fully by the first class.

• HoraceGoesSquiffy 23 Jul 2008 22:14:40 1,563 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd just like to say, unless it's been said already...

THREAD TITLE OF THE WEEK.

I sang it in my head and everything.
  • ProfessorLesser 24 Jul 2008 14:45:34 19,358 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks for the further tips guys - as I said, I already have the kana on flashcards, but I've also got their 'translations' on them as well, so they're no good for testing. Need to make a second set :-/

Am I right to concentrate on learning to read and write first? Obviously I'll still learn some vocab and grammar this way, but is it necessarily the first step?

Also, Razz I just got your parcel. Thanks very much! I chuckled to find there were pens inside :D Any tips on using the brush and paper? I don't really know what I'm doing there, though it looks like it'll be very helpful once I do. Cheers again :-)
  • FWB 24 Jul 2008 14:50:02 44,833 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just put the translation on the back. That way you can peak if you want to check or you forget.

Yeah, learn the alphabet first. You could jump in using romanji but I really don't recommend it. You want to be thinking in Japanese from day one. Besides, best to concentrate on one thing at a time. As I said before, writing them is a huge part of the learning process and really helped instill them in my head as I had another method - direction of strokes - for remembering each one.

Any decent class/teacher will only use hiragana and katana.
  • Razz 24 Jul 2008 15:06:51 61,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You're welcome. Woah! The the small workbooks (tian zi ba) are for practising characters with a normal pen, NOT the caligraphy brush! :D The one's I sent you will be fine. :) I know it's a bit odd to send normal pens but they're my favorite pens for writing characters! Usually I will write 2 pages of the same character until it starts to look "normal". It's good to have someone that knows what is accepted as a good written standard of a character, i.e. a Japanese person. Though you should aim to copy printed characters verbatim, they sometimes vary slightly from their written counterparts.

You need to write one character per square. The grid is to help you get used to writing characters in one size and how their sizes relate to eachother.

Any old notepad will be fine for the calligraphy brush. Using the brush is great for practising and understanding stroke order in hanzis er... characters. I've got an A4 notepad in which occasionally paint characters of varying sizes. Experiment init. Enjoy!

• ProfessorLesser 24 Jul 2008 15:18:24 19,358 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers, will do :-)
  • Page

of 51 First / Last