Coffee drinkers appreciation thread! Page 7

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• sport 19 Nov 2012 12:29:07 12,711 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrharvest wrote:
    These days I only buy locally produced coffee. I don't buy anything that's been grown more than 50 miles away.
    mrharvest wrote:
    These days I only buy locally produced coffee.
    mrharvest wrote:
    locally produced
    mrharvest
    Wait for incoming spam link lads. We won't buy your goods "mrharvest"!!!
  • DaM 19 Nov 2012 12:29:52 13,139 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    sport wrote:
    You guys don't grow your own beans?!?!? o_O
    I have a bunch of bushes in my civet cage, it's the only way to go.

Another vote for the aeropress, I've got 2 (2 offices). Good coffee, quick and easy, very little mess and easy to clean.
  • Mr-Brett 19 Nov 2012 12:46:59 12,787 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yet another vote for the Aeropress. It makes a better cup than the various machines and pots I've tried, the only problem really is that it can only make one cup at a time but then so does my brother's expensive Tassimo with its ludicrously expensive 'disks' and the Aeropress makes just as good if not better coffee.

Portable view - Never forget.

• DaM 19 Nov 2012 13:28:51 13,139 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It makes much nicer coffee than the Tassimo, and Nespresso too! Tassimo coffee is rank :)
  • Mr-Brett 19 Nov 2012 13:35:57 12,787 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought the Tassimo coffee was ok but yeah Aeropress is better, I was just trying to be diplomatic :)

I really don't like the idea of constrained to pods or disks so I'd never get one of those systems anyway regardless of quality.

Portable view - Never forget.

• BravoGolf Moderator 19 Nov 2012 13:50:48 12,741 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That Aeropress looks interesting, not seen that before. I have a Gaggia at the moment and it's great but the problem I have is keeping the coffee fresh. I'll only ever make coffee at home when I'm off or it's the weekend so invariably I end up using coffee that's 3 or more weeks old and is quite dry.

Am considering getting a capsule-esque machine, like one of the Nespresso's, that way the coffee stays fresh and stuff.
  • DaM 19 Nov 2012 13:53:45 13,139 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I wouldn't mind if the quality was there, but it's not. All the Nespresso money goes to their ridiculous internal marketing (to people already locked in), and George Cluney.

I've signed up for a 3 month subscription from the Small Batch Coffee Company. I also got a cold coffee filter thing for my wife for Christmas, thought it would be good for the ice coffee she likes, but doubtless I'll be accused of buying it for myself :)
  • Vortex808 19 Nov 2012 14:06:35 7,138 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Tassimo coffee is rank :)
    I think to an extent that depends on what the pods/packets are though. I've had some rather nice coffee from Tassimo's in the past, and some grim ones too.

I think most of the nice ones had to be ordered online as they were not available in the uk otherwise. Certainly none were the stuff you can get in the supermarkets.

For instance the carte noire stuff from the supermarket was fucking awful. Worst espressos ever. Some other makes of espresso that have been brought in after ordering online have been very nice though.

The worst thing about the Tassimo appears to be the latte's/cappuccinos since they have to use UHT milk in those pods and you can always taste that. Better to buy a poncey milk-frother and try that way!
  • DaM 19 Nov 2012 14:15:43 13,139 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've only had supermarket stuff, will see what else is out there.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 19 Nov 2012 14:37:39 12,741 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DaM wrote:

I've signed up for a 3 month subscription from the Small Batch Coffee Company ...
    That's a great site!
  • Vortex808 19 Nov 2012 14:46:30 7,138 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dam, I'd recommend Mastro Lorenzo (? I think) tassimo stuff. Their espresso is certainly worth a try. I think it might have been a crema intensa one. That was nice and smooth, unlike the carte noire espresso which was probably the roughest tasting espresso I've ever had.

I think they also made some decent coffee cup sized ones. I have had decent Jacobs stuff too.

There's apparently quite a range of things available for them, just not readily available in the uk without ordering through the tassimo website.

I have been paying some attention to them since I'm almost tempted to get one for the ease of getting a coffee/espresso without too much faffing about.

I have a cafetierre and a hob-top espresso maker at home, but it's only me who's really into coffee. The wife prefer instant, so if I do buy ground beans in, they hang around for ages, which is a waste really and I think this sealed pod/packet malarkey is possibly the way to go.

I do quite like the look of the nespresso ones as well though, but I don't think I've had many coffees from people who have them to compare.

I may have to look into this aeropress malarkey now.

Edited by Vortex808 at 14:46:50 19-11-2012
  • Rajin 19 Nov 2012 15:00:17 621 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If anyone wants a expresso machine i can wholehearthy recommend a Quick, it costs me about 550 euro and its perfect for expresso.

My local coffee-shop(sounds strange because i'm from the Netherlands) is the place where i get my crunched beans, my favorite is the Napoletana(can't find it on google, might be a made-up name by the shop?)

Locally produced coffee that i've tasted so far has generally been disappointing, most of the time end up being to bitter. Maybe someone from The Netherlands could recommend me a place?
  • BravoGolf Moderator 19 Nov 2012 15:26:32 12,741 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rajin - which Quick machine do you have?
  • elstoof 19 Nov 2012 16:15:50 7,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do those sachets of Nescafé espresso count?
  • Rajin 19 Nov 2012 16:26:36 621 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @BravoGolf

Quick Mill 820 espressomachine

http://www.coffeefactory.nl/quick-mill-820-espressomachine-4535/

It's easy to use and makes splendid expresso's and doesn't need much cleaning like decalcifying. The only downside is that you'll need to learn to use the exact right amount of coffee, or else you can't rotate the handle to the right.

Edited by Rajin at 16:30:45 19-11-2012
  • elstoof 19 Nov 2012 16:39:52 7,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My De'Longhi ECOV310 does a decent enough job, nice espresso and the milk frothier worked the one time I tried it. I think the only thing you gain by spending more is speed. Most importantly, it's a lovely blue colour that coordinates with my toaster and kettle.
  • mrharvest 19 Nov 2012 19:06:24 5,197 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Wait for incoming spam link lads. We won't buy your goods "mrharvest"!!!
    :D

Well, now that you mention it, if anyone is interested in Tanzanian beans I could be persuaded to put some in the mail... Actually don't bother: unfortunately they aren't that great.
  • Deleted user 24 November 2012 10:14:46
    Just got a Tassimo T65 on the Amazon Black Friday. Early christmas present and we love it so far. Only tried the Costa Americano and Latte but both were very nice and ridiculously easy to make. Impressed with the frothy milk as well, thought that would have to be done separately. I'd rather be fisted by the Hulk than ponce about grinding and roasting beans every time I wanted a coffee so I'm happy with the purchase!
  • brokenkey 24 Nov 2012 13:27:24 7,028 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @mrharvest Tanzania you say? I only drink Dormans Blue Mountain imported privately from next door.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Mola_Ram 24 Nov 2012 13:30:46 7,384 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Going to Nepal tomorrow and couldn't bear the thought of going 8 weeks without coffee. So I got a tiny Moka pot and a tin of ground Illy beans. It's more weight but I DON'T CARE I NEED COFFEE.
  • Deleted user 24 November 2012 13:38:27
    Why not just bring a jar of nescafe?
  • mrharvest 24 Nov 2012 13:40:36 5,197 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @brokenkey Yeah, that's pretty nice. All Kenyan grown, I think? I usually drink Msumbi peaberry or the local Burka. I just prefer my coffees a bit fruity so I'm not so keen on the earthy tones here.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Nov 2012 13:42:00 7,384 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Because I like Illy.

Whole thing is less than a kilo, so it's not like I'll be heavily burdened. Will be staying in the same place for 5 of the 7 weeks anyway.
  • beachedvinyl 29 Jan 2013 12:38:40 303 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    just purchased a gaggia classic for £60 from ebay. chuffed to bits with my new toy. Any gaggia users on here?
  • sport 29 Jan 2013 12:43:04 12,711 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wowsers! £60? You sure the previous owner hasn't taken a dump in it or something?

Got a Dolce Gusto Piccolo over Xmas - sublime coffee and only £40 although I'm locked into pods now (don't really mind - less cleaning)
  • beachedvinyl 29 Jan 2013 12:46:30 303 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    yeah, I did well. Most recent ones I've been watching went for nearer 90-100 notes, plus this was a 20 min drive away. so far so good - it all works. Going to do a vigourous clean and descale, replace the group seal etc.
    Need a decent grinder next.
  • Vortex808 29 Jan 2013 12:52:12 7,138 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :) EG Xmas Coffee machine splurge!

We picked up a tassimo thing. So long as you buy the good stuff you can only buy in Europe via their online store everything is nice. I have some great espresso and mug sized pods to narrow down to some favourites to regularly buy.

The stuff you can buy in the shops here is pretty nasty though. I have no idea why so many are not available in the shops here. There is some hilarious (and scandalous) ripoff selling of the european only pods on ebay and amazon. Why you would pay a massive mark up instead of buying them online yourself is beyond me, but enough folk must do that to make it worth their time.

I did have to buy a milk frother to use with stand alone espressos for cappucino's etc, since their latte/cappucino stuff is all with UHT milk and you can taste that a bit.

We opted for it since it also does a hot chocolate for our son. They're not bad either. The UHT milk taste is less noticable with the hot chocolate.
  • freddymercurystwin 6 May 2013 00:14:22 451 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hope you guys can offer your words of wisdom, I'm on the verge of ordering one of these chappies: http://www.johnlewis.com/de%27longhi-ecov310-az-vintage-icona-espresso-coffee-machine-azure-blue/p231706527 it will get used for espressos, cappuccinos and lattes for me. I'm not a coffee connoisseur and neither is my missus, that said I don't want to order a complete dog so I suspect that it may not be the best available for the cash but we have the kettle in this range already and she's keen to get a coffee machine to match hence this bay. As mentioned just want to avoid ending up with a complete dog really. Thanks guys. :-P
  • Dante_Cubit 6 May 2013 10:04:20 1,926 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As someone recommended earlier, HasBeen are a terrific online retailer with exemplary customer service. They do a great range if coffee stuff at sensible prices.

I use a Chemex for making coffee which I also highly recommend. I'm posting from my phone so no link but they are easy to google info on. They make wonderfully smooth coffee, they are cheap, require minimal cleaning and they even look beautiful. It trounces the £800 machine we have at work.
  • pistol 27 Jun 2013 13:28:15 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looking for some ground coffee recommendations. What's everyone drinking at the moment?

I have a Philips Quad Senseo machine that uses both pods and ground coffee. I use both and currently have illy expresso dark roast ground coffee.

Any other suggestions?
  • Page

of 11 First / Last