macbook wont boot

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Katsumoto 13 Jul 2008 00:00:46 1,358 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok. God. I was happily watching a video or something, suddenly everything freezes completely. Had to reboot, except it won't get past a grey screen with a folder with a question mark flashing on it, and the mac itself is making a sort of odd ticking noise. GAH!! Any ideas?
  • Katsumoto 13 Jul 2008 00:07:45 1,358 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bah! I haven't really got any concrete backups. That's my own fault I know, I just thougtht "ah, its a mac, they dont break!". Foolish me! I guess it's not the end of the world if i have to start it all again. BUT STILL! GOD! Yeah.
  • corimi 13 Jul 2008 00:32:12 1,311 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Sounds like your hard disk is fucked.
    This. :(
  • Katsumoto 13 Jul 2008 00:36:36 1,358 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You reckon I can save it in any way, or does it sound completely buggered beyond life and limb? Ive found a mac support guide on the net and it says I should put my boot disc up and it may be able to save something. Can't find the disc atm, but hopefully all is not lost. Not particularly hopeful though!

I will count my blessings and be thankful this didnt happen a few weeks ago during my exams.
  • BartonFink 13 Jul 2008 00:48:04 34,851 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Katsumoto wrote:
    Bah! I haven't really got any concrete backups. That's my own fault I know, I just thougtht "ah, its a mac, they dont break!".
    Oh dear, oh dear. You really thought that?
  • corimi 13 Jul 2008 00:52:18 1,311 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had it happen to me in a Mac Pro - just had to buy a new HDD and reinstall from scratch. When I tried to recover, the install disc didn't even see the HDD and it repetitively clicked for as long as I left it.

Apparently some companies may be able to extract the data, but it'll cost a bit. I'd just order a new hard drive and if the data's critical try a recovery service. Another solution I heard was to put the hard drive in the freezer for a bit 0_o You may want to attempt this, I didn't ;)

These days, I use Leopard and Time Machine.
  • Red-Moose 13 Jul 2008 00:56:32 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    Katsumoto wrote:
    Bah! I haven't really got any concrete backups. That's my own fault I know, I just thougtht "ah, its a mac, they dont break!".
    Oh dear, oh dear. You really thought that?

The power of marketing
  • Katsumoto 13 Jul 2008 00:58:23 1,358 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well why else do people use macs :p!

The best bit is, my warranty expired the exact minute it broke. No joke. I bought it a year ago yesterday, it broke at midnight. If I wasn't so pissed off i'd laugh! Okay i'll laugh anyway. LOL.
  • Katsumoto 13 Jul 2008 01:00:02 1,358 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    corimi wrote:
    I had it happen to me in a Mac Pro - just had to buy a new HDD and reinstall from scratch. When I tried to recover, the install disc didn't even see the HDD and it repetitively clicked for as long as I left it.

Apparently some companies may be able to extract the data, but it'll cost a bit. I'd just order a new hard drive and if the data's critical try a recovery service. Another solution I heard was to put the hard drive in the freezer for a bit 0_o You may want to attempt this, I didn't ;)

These days, I use Leopard and Time Machine.

Heh, well, I think I have the few really critical things around on usb drives. It's not the end of the world, just extremely inconvenient. I may have to do as you did by the sounds of things, cheers muchly.
  • GrandpaUlrira 13 Jul 2008 01:06:42 3,753 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The ticking noise is exactly what happened to me when my HDD died.

The noise might be the head desperately trying to locate data on the HDD, and when my Powerbook died I had no backup. However, I bought a Firewire drive, booted my Powerbook up for the final time, and sat for four or five hours copying my data to the external drive using SuperDuper. The HDD would start to freeze my laptop from time-to-time, but I could often remedy this by, and I kid you not, tilting the laptop so that the HDD would work again, albeit only for a few minutes at a time. It was very slow, but worked.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2008 06:21:14
    Buy a copy of Data Rescue II from ProSoft, start-up from the disc and use it to recover anything you can onto a seperate hard disk (which you'll need to buy). Then get a new hard drive for your MacBook, and use Time Machine to back up from now on!

Good luck!
  • beep 13 Jul 2008 07:24:17 448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Try rebooting while holding down the shift key. It activates 'safe mode', and takes a while longer to startup but it can fix werd computery mac problems sometimes. Otherwise it could be that your mac is borked.
  • Jeepers 13 Jul 2008 09:20:55 13,173 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you have access to another Mac, you can connect your laptop to it via Firewire. That done, you can boot the laptop in Target Disk Mode and - if you're very lucky - you may be able to see the contents of the drive.

My G5 desktop drive crapped out recently in much the same way. I ended up binning the drive and thanking my lucky stars for having a 90% up-to-date backup.

Irritating reminder #528: Backup!
  • Katsumoto 13 Jul 2008 09:28:56 1,358 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    heh, yeah, well i've used the install disc to take a look and it won't even recognise the drive exists, I can hear it whirring and grinding so obv its just completely borked.

Irrirtating reminder 528 is good advice! I'm going to buy one of those passport drive things and back up every sodding week, JUST IN CASE! Luckily as I said it's not like i'm in the middle of a project right now so it could be worse. Cheers guys!
  • Jeepers 13 Jul 2008 09:36:23 13,173 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Glad to hear it's not fatal. I hate that horrible sinking feeling you get when a drive craps out with no backup.

/shudders
  • Katsumoto 13 Jul 2008 10:12:36 1,358 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats a Leopard only thing is it? I was running Tiger, gallingly.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2008 13:04:19
    Even if your startup from a disk didn't show a hard drive present, that doesn't mean that Data Rescue II won't be able to find the vast majority of your data in the smouldering ashes of it's remains. If you're at all serious about getting the contents back I suggest you try and download their free trial somehow, and see if you can use it to find your hard drive and any data. If you find something, go buy a full copy and start rescuing!
  • spindizzy 13 Jul 2008 14:57:33 6,434 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If it's a macbook, just change the drive yourself. It's a piece of piss to do, and should save you some cash. And I know a bunch of people who have had macbook drives fail - IIRC it wasn't really Apple's fault, as one of their suppliers made a massive batch of duff drives, and some PCs had the same problem, but still ... damn annoying.

Time Machine is lovely though.
  • HitchHiker 13 Jul 2008 15:22:01 2,770 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If it is only a few days over warranty, why don't you try your luck with Apple and try and get them to repair it. After all, a HDD should last more than a year, quote the sale of goods act and all that. You never know.
  • Katsumoto 13 Jul 2008 15:33:13 1,358 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    If it is only a few days over warranty, why don't you try your luck with Apple and try and get them to repair it. After all, a HDD should last more than a year, quote the sale of goods act and all that. You never know.

Good call this! Just went in with my dad (he's really old and good at shouting in that way old people do) for support, and basically despite their best efforts we managed to get them to do me a repair tomorrow morning under the warranty :D

Also I ordered an external hard drive thing to do manual back ups on, worth upgrading to leopard for time machine you lot reckon then?

Sale of Goods Act 1979 is very good to talk about, even if you know nothing about it. I actually do, having just done an exam on it, but I didn't have to use any of my actual knowledge of it. Just say "solicitors" and they get more attentive.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next