QTE's Enough already.....Just stop (press left mouse button NOW) Page 4

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• L_Franko Moderator 24 Mar 2009 11:52:58 9,697 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When you have to tap a button rapidly to run away from a big rock or what ever I never know how fast to tap so just go mental on the control pad like its my actual life that depends on it not just my virtual one all while i'm shouting 'come on you fucker' like I have some constipation problem.
    I'm pretty much spent by the time the scene has finished and crave a fag with a cup of coffee while my GF sits there quietly and looks up from her book wondering what the fuck just happened.
  • kinky_mong 24 Mar 2009 15:27:37 10,867 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's a terrible QTE sequence in RE5 between the two parts of the final boss fight. Even worse than the Krauser knife fight in RE4. The last QTE gives you a split second to press the buttons or it's back to the beginning again.

Doesn't help that my co-op partner can't pay attention during cutscenes, instead checking Facebook during crucial moments.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Deleted user 24 March 2009 15:30:59
    Co-op QTE?

Pure evil!
  • andywilkie35 24 Mar 2009 16:52:27 5,338 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    There's a terrible QTE sequence in RE5 between the two parts of the final boss fight. Even worse than the Krauser knife fight in RE4. The last QTE gives you a split second to press the buttons or it's back to the beginning again.

Doesn't help that my co-op partner can't pay attention during cutscenes, instead checking Facebook during crucial moments.

The story was so uninteresting and boring that I couldn't concentrate on it! I admit though that I too was surprised at how terrible my attention span was!

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Benno 24 Mar 2009 16:57:46 10,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    When you have to tap a button rapidly to run away from a big rock or what ever I never know how fast to tap so just go mental on the control pad like its my actual life that depends on it not just my virtual one all while i'm shouting 'come on you fucker' like I have some constipation problem.
    I'm pretty much spent by the time the scene has finished and crave a fag with a cup of coffee while my GF sits there quietly and looks up from her book wondering what the fuck just happened.

glol
  • DUFFMAN5 20 Aug 2009 12:09:21 15,408 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Once again I can reserect my thread:
    Heavy Rain, Cage:
    "So we work on this thing, it's fully controllable, you do what you want. When there is an action sequence, yes we integrate this QTE sequences. We've done it really in a new way.

I still can't stand the bastard things, they are not immersive at all. All you do is concentrate hard on the area of the screen that they appear on, thus you miss all the "brilliant" scenses surrounding them on the screen. Give me a cut scene or not, but please leave out the qte, or as I mentioned before why can't we choose to turn them on/off at the games menu ?

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• BabyJesus 20 Aug 2009 13:04:45 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Once again I can reserect my thread:
    Heavy Rain, Cage:
    "So we work on this thing, it's fully controllable, you do what you want. When there is an action sequence, yes we integrate this QTE sequences. We've done it really in a new way.

Me thinks thou doth protest too much.

• Bulbatron 20 Aug 2009 16:26:25 857 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hate QTEs. I agree wholeheartedly with Ashen-Shugar, and I know exactly what DUFFMAN5 means as well.

If I'm on a cutscene with QTEs, then I can't concentrate on the scene itself, because my eyes are bulging out of my skull where I'm concentrating on the area of the screen where I know the button prompt will appear. Would it really hurt for game developers to include an option to turn the bloody things off?

Wow - what a mansion!

• Deleted user 20 August 2009 18:37:36
    But the point David Cage is making is that QTE's aren't sandwiched into cutscenes to to make fake immersion. They're just part of (or most of) the gameplay. I don't know how well it works but it looks promising imo.
  • Widge Moderator 20 Aug 2009 20:00:20 13,744 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...and that they aren't 'failable' scenes. Whatever the outcome is shapes the rest of the game, even if that character dies.

Its nice to have something different, I mean Lucasarts did something different with their interfaces to move away from the 'click on words at bottom of screen' format, but it was still the same mouse, point, click. This seems a bit different.

Unless Heavy Rain is being mistaken for a run around shoot in the face thriller punctuated with the odd cutscene with buttony presses.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Rusty_M 6 Feb 2010 13:27:49 4,930 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like qte's sometimes, but not in other games and I don't know what makes me enjoy some more than others.

Many of them in Bourne are a bit rubbish

Though I love them in God of War and in Shenmue and in RE4

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• Deleted user 6 February 2010 13:49:14
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    All you do is concentrate hard on the area of the screen that they appear on.
    You'd be pretty fucked in Heavy Rain then, from what I remember.

edit: /is a little late
  • Deleted user 6 February 2010 13:51:55
    Rusty_M wrote:
    I like qte's sometimes, but not in other games and I don't know what makes me enjoy some more than others.

And Die Hard arcade.
  • trip919 6 Feb 2010 13:57:01 2,274 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:

I agree completely. It’s how slickly they’re implemented in the game & how forgiving they are. I don’t think people should write them all off just because most games get them wrong.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Nov 2010 17:25:13 15,408 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ...so many many months on lads, how do you feel about QTE's
    I wonder with Move/Kin ect we are going to see the end of them soon, please say it is so.

• MrSensible 28 Nov 2010 17:40:09 25,373 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still love them, when done properly. As long as they aren't insta-death I think they should be in most games tbh.
  • Collymilad 28 Nov 2010 17:42:34 1,266 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't mind QTE's they do have a place, just some devs abuse them.

As for difficulty, they really aren't that hard at all in 99% of games.
  • Deleted user 28 November 2010 17:52:00
    I still have cold-sweats remembering the ones in RDR on the knife/finger mini-game-thingy. Dreadful and infuriatng at the same time.

I've hated QTE's ever since Shenmue, I honestly can't say I remember any games that was benefitted as a result. Parapa the Rapper maybe??!
  • bad09 12 Jan 2013 11:48:40 6,255 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was there like a meeting somewhere where every dev voted on putting these damn things it EVERY game? This morning I'm playing games and I notice.

Starting with Amazing Spiderman fun but QTE fest, I change over for a bit of Hitman I realise again QTEs, finally go for some frontier action in AC3 goddamn QTEs when animals attack.

3 recent games all using the god awful mechanic in some form with it's "press this button!!!" or "tap this button really really fast!"

Is it lazyness? Is it just easier to do it? It is there really is no other way to play in these modern flashy graphics games anymore? Is it some misguided thought that people can only play that way? Or is it simply a "dumb it down for masses" mentality?

QTEs NEED to die, new ideas Mr industry fucking simon says is not a good gameplay mechanic!!!

/ rant over

Edited by bad09 at 11:49:01 12-01-2013
  • DUFFMAN5 12 Jan 2013 11:59:51 15,408 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @bad09
    Good post. The very reason I created the thread. Qte's are for the most part fucking awful.

• MatMan562 12 Jan 2013 12:00:07 2,605 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think QTE's need to dissapear but they definately need to be kept out of certain games as in your example of AC3. I do think they work in games like God of War and The Walking Dead however.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• StarchildHypocrethes 12 Jan 2013 12:01:35 26,615 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ninja Blade was awesome.
  • bad09 12 Jan 2013 12:06:34 6,255 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MatMan562

I dunno I think they need to die, being used too much next gen consoles might as well be this:

• MatMan562 12 Jan 2013 12:12:17 2,605 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @bad09 :lol: Well Bop-it is quite fun!

Have you never enjoyed a single QTE? In something like God of War they're almost essential to letting you actually make the kill on the giant bosses. The only alternative would be to just have a cut-scene.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Dr_Mech 12 Jan 2013 12:20:39 1,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Or you could just ditch cutscenes all together. They made sense back in the era where in-game graphics couldn't do some scenes justice and so a good splash of FMV here and there was beneificial, but these days it's just bloody tiring, most cutscenes are in game and with a bit of good design you shouldn't ever need to take control off the player.

MGS4 is a prime example of backwards design, touch the joypad for a second or two, followed by watching 20 mins of cutscenes. It's like a modern day dragons lair.

Bioshock had it right, events happened around the player. If you wanted to pay attention to them or just run along with things was upto you. better than 'press X now to avoid big daddy drill' pish.
    I will say Dark Souls use of cutscenes is pretty good, they're short (at most 10-30 seconds) and used only to introduce some (not all) bosses and I think one other non-boss moment where it is actually hiding a loading behind the scenes.
  • bad09 12 Jan 2013 12:24:22 6,255 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MatMan562

Not really "enjoyed" them no, more tolerated them. Look at Shenmue, had a lot but you forgave it because of the rest of the game. It was kinda new back then though and now it's become a cliché of gaming, it's overused, boring, unchallenging, predictable.

I mean look at me this morning. It's a quiet day so I'm playing games, 3 unrelated games from different devs all using 'em. I found myself scanning my installed library to make sure the next one I throw on today DOESN'T have them.

Edited by bad09 at 12:30:47 12-01-2013
  • Page

of 5 First / Last