QTE's Enough already.....Just stop (press left mouse button NOW) Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• samk 26 Jan 2009 10:19:02 703 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got no idea what form the QTEs in Shenmue take (never played it). I think a big reason why some of us despise QTEs is that our experiences of them go like this:

Boss battle....
    Play for 10 minutes whittling down its health....
    Fail a QTE right at the end....
    The boss's health is replenished to 50%....
    Repeat a few more times while occasionally yelling "FUCK YOU, GAME".

I think they're shit personally. Devs go to the trouble of nicely animating an elaborate sequence, yet I miss it all cos I'm too busy concentrating on the middle of the screen waiting for the button indicators.
  • Widge Moderator 26 Jan 2009 10:34:37 13,654 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    2 Shenmue QTE's I remember:

1) You are chasing 'someone', if at any point you do a QTE wrong, you fail and will have to start the chase again.

2) climbing across planks to get to the top of some apartment block to advance the story. Each level has a plank, if you fail you fall all the way down and have to start again. There are ways to get high up the block, but effectively there is a point where you can go no higher without using the planks. That bit was an utter bastard. But when you get past it, its like the best thing ever.

The minotaur boss in GOW. Can you effectively do that without using the QTE's? Mainly in GoW the QTE is a risk reward thing, risk is failing, losing health etc, reward for doing it is satisfaction and health/magic bonuses. QTE's not necessary to take down all creatures for this reason, you just don't get the bonuses.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• MrSensible 26 Jan 2009 10:37:53 25,062 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Shenmue ones were perfect though because you often got numerous chances. Even when you didn't, you'd only ever go back about 10 seconds or so.
  • Deleted user 26 January 2009 10:39:05
    The secret to a good QTE is to have it -before- the action, so you press the button then see the reaction. The Fahrenheit ones failed because they just had them over the top of the action instead so you couldn't actually watch what was going on anyway.
  • krushing 26 Jan 2009 10:47:38 777 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think Dead Space's tentacle sequences are the way to go forward - at least that's one way to do it. Doesn't really provide a solution when you want a complex interaction sequence in an otherwise simple game (ie. FPSs for example), but at least it's somewhat of a solution instead of making up arbitrary controls for particular situations.
  • smoothpete 26 Jan 2009 10:53:07 31,534 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought the QTEs in Bourne worked pretty well considering what they were trying to emulate from the movies. The whole idea was that his kick-ass moves would happen by instinct and it that sense they were great. The game was a bit arse but I really enjoyed it on the whole
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Mar 2009 06:56:06 14,770 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Good Morning
    If any game developers read this forum, which I'm sure they do......
    Enough of these fookin button pressing/speed sensitive cop-outs. I hate them
    If you feel the need to include, have an option to turn off in main menu. It doesn't make the game more immersive if anything it breaks it up.

I looking at you,Fahrenheit/Resi 4/Bourne/GOD/Viking/Conan...enough already.

Over one year on from my thread and we still have a huge number of games being made and released with this fucking mechanic. Just read the Ninja review on home page and guess what qte's, just completed Kunf Fu Panda (I know, I know but is wasn't that bad at all) and even though a simple enough child friendly game it has qte's in. I'm currently playing Mercs 2, qte, all present and correct. Have I read Resi5 has them (I may be mistaken)
    I will say it again. They are horrible, they do not "put you in the action" if anything they drag you out, because you have to watch for them to flash on the screen and memorise to pull off whatever needs to be done, there is no way I can be involved with what is going on the screen, in the back ground. Cut scenes did the job brilliantly for many years, please let us return to them, at the very least make the qte's optional in the start up menu.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• OnlyMe 24 Mar 2009 07:24:57 3,104 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No one has ever drawn blood from me, and no one ever will!
  • Widge Moderator 24 Mar 2009 07:31:28 13,654 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Its still a rubbish blanket statement. If a game does it well and adds to satisfaction, keep it in.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• DUFFMAN5 24 Mar 2009 07:33:06 14,770 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Its still a rubbish blanket statement. If a game does it well and adds to satisfaction, keep it in.

Right then back up your blanket abuse showing your workings.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Widge Moderator 24 Mar 2009 10:40:32 13,654 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well God Of War for one would be worse without having it in. Suits that kind of game perfectly, good balance between risk and reward for activating a QTE, adds satisfaction for getting it right.

Stuff like taking down an Ogre, you can't work in a move where you clamber over something attacking different parts of the body, similarly just having the animation play out by getting near and pressing one button removes the entire risk/reward thing.

I'm not saying everything gets it right but there is no need to go mental the moment something even mentions a QTE. Its almost as bad as people getting up in arms crying "pretentious!" "gameplay?" the moment a game deviates from a polygon pushing face shooter.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• pjmaybe 24 Mar 2009 10:43:54 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The QTEs in Ninja Blade are special. Special like Mungo. If you like games that instantly fail, and force you back to the start of a sequence if you miss one QTE button press, you'll love it to bits.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2009 11:03:34
    Widge wrote:
    Well God Of War for one would be worse without having it in. Suits that kind of game perfectly, good balance between risk and reward for activating a QTE, adds satisfaction for getting it right.

Stuff like taking down an Ogre, you can't work in a move where you clamber over something attacking different parts of the body, similarly just having the animation play out by getting near and pressing one button removes the entire risk/reward thing.

Why couldn't they make it so you climb on the creature and pull off a finisher yourself? It would take a bit more work but I'd fine it more enjoyable if my skill was put to the test to pull off a move, better still if you could then chain it with other regular moves or even another finisher - rather than just pressing whatever button in order to initiate a pre-scripted sequence.
  • Darren 24 Mar 2009 11:05:41 8,859 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Personally I find QTE bits in games extremely annoying and somewhat patronising. They come across as "gaming for morons" since they're usually so bloody easy and require no skill whatsoever. Having to hammer a button to escape or whatever is just inane IMO. It's like the worst part of those interactive FMV games brought back to life!

The worst part though is that they completely distract me from what are otherwise impressive set-pieces because I'm having to solely focus on the upcoming button prompts.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Chrono-Kun 24 Mar 2009 11:06:12 467 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I knew people were going to defend that tripe called 'Shenmue'. Seriously, the QTE weren't honestly that great and the storyline was just a load of bollocks imo. Why people ask for a sequel when Yakuza is a spiritual sort of sequel to Shenmue -_-

QTE = Get rid of them.
  • pjmaybe 24 Mar 2009 11:10:52 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The worst, and I do mean the very worst thing about QTEs is that they break my immersion in a game almost immediately. Doesn't matter how fancy the font on the button you're being told to mash is, or how stylised the arrows are that tell you to shove your left stick in the direction indicated - fucking huge on-screen stuff like that just fucks up the whole immersion experience for me. Even more so than the presence of static screen furniture like health gauges and inventory items etc.

Heavenly Sword's a good (bad) example. You have a reasonably sumptuous (though teary as arseholes) game. Within a few seconds of entering the game world your immersion in that world is busted by a big fucking button symbol prompting you to press the associated control. Isn't that a pip...
  • Darren 24 Mar 2009 11:17:39 8,859 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loathe games that throw in QTE moments totally out of the blue as a "surprise". What you missed that prompt to press "X" and died? Oh dear, let's do that again, shall we?

How is that in any way fair... or fun?

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• MrSensible 24 Mar 2009 11:19:35 25,062 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chrono-Kun wrote:
    I knew people were going to defend that tripe called 'Shenmue'. Seriously, the QTE weren't honestly that great and the storyline was just a load of bollocks imo. Why people ask for a sequel when Yakuza is a spiritual sort of sequel to Shenmue -_-

QTE = Get rid of them.

Bonkers! Personally, I think Shenmue is the best game ever made and the QTEs are a great part of that package. Without the QTEs it'd definitely be worse.
  • rudedudejude 24 Mar 2009 11:19:56 2,186 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No more Heroes pissed me off with it on the second or third boss.

Spend 10 mins killing the boss, put controls down, have a rest, enter cutscene.

Fail to press button on controller FAST FAST FAST = DEAD.

Cue boss fight again. What a crock of lazy arse shite.
  • MrSensible 24 Mar 2009 11:20:42 25,062 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Adam_T wrote:
    No more Heroes pissed me off with it on the second or third boss.

Spend 10 mins killing the boss, put controls down, have a rest, enter cutscene.

Fail to press button on controller FAST FAST FAST = DEAD.

Cue boss fight again. What a crock of lazy arse shite.

And here is the other side of the coin. A perfect example in how to do a QTE completely wrong.
  • pjmaybe 24 Mar 2009 11:23:04 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you absolutely positively have to have em in your game, by no means make them insta-death-retry jobs. Affect the flow of gameplay, or the player's life bar etc but no one wants to play the same section over and over again just because developers think QTEs are cute.

While we're on the subject though, can we open this thread up to include button mashing? I did all my button mashing back in the days of Daley Thompson's Decathlon. Fuck off do I want to still be doing this on modern games (again Ninja Blade has some of the most retarded button mashing stuff going on in it)
  • MrSensible 24 Mar 2009 11:25:27 25,062 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like button mashing! It's something I can actually do very well. It's probably my only talent in life.

/is a failure
  • Genji 24 Mar 2009 11:25:57 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't want QTEs in your cutscenes? Just go watch a movie.

I don't find them very frustrating at all, with some notable exceptions. Running away from a boulder in RE4, for example.

They add just that little bit of interactivity to an otherwise bland cutscene. I don't mind that.
  • rudedudejude 24 Mar 2009 11:30:28 2,186 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They should totally put QTE's in movies for a bit of interaction when you go the cinema.
  • Genji 24 Mar 2009 11:31:36 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh. I remember reading about a couple of horror movies where the audience got to decide how some of the characters died.
  • neilka 24 Mar 2009 11:34:03 16,089 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There seems to be someone activating the "kick the back of my chair" QTE every time I go to the cinema.

Lastly, I am gay, disabled, and a liberal.

• Deleted user 24 March 2009 11:34:25
    Generally I find that games with QTEs in them are also ones where the developers forgot what fun is. Also a fair chance that they're story-heavy and prioritise graphics and trying to impress you over enjoyment.

There's also a great chance that people will call them 'classics' but that in ten years time they would actually just seem painful to play.
  • MrSensible 24 Mar 2009 11:35:04 25,062 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Adam_T wrote:
    They should totally put QTE's in movies for a bit of interaction when you go the cinema.

If even one person in the audience fails, the movie has to start from the beginning.
  • Benno 24 Mar 2009 11:35:42 9,927 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    they never bother me really
  • Page

of 5 First / Last