PS3 RPGs

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Pedrolot 15 Jun 2008 01:14:41 1,939 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does anyone know if we are expecting any decent RPG's around the corner for the PS3?

Being mainly a RPG person, I was hoping that i would have bought one or two by now..

Cheers.

PSN: Pedrolot

• Whatsfor 15 Jun 2008 01:16:56 2,189 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FFXIII 2009ish?
  • Psychotext 15 Jun 2008 01:17:56 54,409 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Buy a 360 innit.

Seriously though... Last Remnant is coming at some point, as is White Knight Story. Don't have dates on those right now though.
  • Pedrolot 15 Jun 2008 01:22:26 1,939 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Whatsfor

Indeed. this is the main reason i bought the PS3 :)

@ Psychotext

Sounds like an idea. They're seems to be quite afew RPG's roaming on the 360 at the moment.
    I find the controller awkward, but i wont let that stop me.

• Pedrolot 15 Jun 2008 01:32:43 1,939 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    IrishLeprechaun wrote:
    Played Oblivion?

I havent.

Would you reccomend?

• ProfessorLesser 15 Jun 2008 01:37:11 19,358 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oblivion is fine if you completely lack ambition and don't mind thoroughly derivative and repetitive scenery.

Patrick Stewart is in it, but he dies right at the start. I'd say pass.
  • ProfessorLesser 15 Jun 2008 01:41:53 19,358 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    IrishLeprechaun wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Oblivion is fine if you completely lack ambition and don't mind thoroughly derivative and repetitive scenery.

Patrick Stewart is in it, but he dies right at the start. I'd say pass.
    But the map is huge...what do you expect....
    More effort, or a smaller map. How is that an excuse?
  • ProfessorLesser 15 Jun 2008 01:46:28 19,358 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The countryside is very repetitive, and I sure as fuck wouldn't want to play an RPG with a map the size and style of England.
  • ProfessorLesser 15 Jun 2008 01:52:30 19,358 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    O_O

This conversation is officially over. Thank you and good night.
  • ecu 15 Jun 2008 01:56:12 77,044 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oblivion was boring and overrated. Morrowind was much the better game.
  • Bloodloss 15 Jun 2008 01:56:38 4,499 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    O_O

This conversation is officially over. Thank you and good night.

:D
  • BartonFink 15 Jun 2008 02:03:47 35,007 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As someone else said if you want RPGs just get a 360
  • Bloodloss 15 Jun 2008 02:16:48 4,499 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And after you buy a 360, what RPGs to get then?

• Gretters 15 Jun 2008 02:30:52 2,628 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PS3 RPG's what?
  • Psychotext 15 Jun 2008 02:50:34 54,409 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not that it's particularly relevant... but oh god did I find oblivion dull.
  • Ged42 15 Jun 2008 12:18:30 7,757 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Its strange the lack of released RPGs on the PS3, considering they're the stable diet of the japanese gamer, or have these all been released in Japan and just haven't made it to Europe?

Has anyone heard any news about White Knight Chronicles? there was some cool looking videos relaeased ages ago but haven't seen anything new about for ages.

If you're wanting one to play now Folklore is good fun and has a nice story. Could also try Bladestorm which has some RPG elements (leveling up, inventories, buying new equipment etc) I think there is still a demo on PSN.

or if you've got a 60GB PS3 try some PS2 RPGs
  • Cappy 15 Jun 2008 12:27:06 12,032 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The lack of RPGs on the PS3 isn't strange really. Microsoft have moneyhatted as many as they can to weaken the PS3.

I would love to know the ins and outs of the deals Microsoft has struck, going on Namco's own figures more than 80% of the sales for the Tales series are accounted for by just Japan. There must have been some pretty good incentive to lose such a big chunk of sales for Tales of Vesperia.
  • Gaol 15 Jun 2008 12:44:01 2,423 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lack of decent RPGs on the PS3 is a pain in the arse frankly. Oblivion is OK I guess.

I really don't want to buy a noisy unreliable 360, but unless things change around the JRPG drought on PS3 might force my hand.

I agree with Cappy, MS must be bandying a lot of cash about. But there's no way the Japs will buy such a noisy fugly piece of equipment, same way they are slow to take up the oversized PS3.
  • Gaol 15 Jun 2008 12:52:29 2,423 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well compared with last gen, yeah. Apart from the established franchises like Res Evil and MGS there isn't a great deal.

And Square-Enix seem to be off the boil now, and have been for a while. Long time since the purple patch of Vagrant Story, Xenogears, FFVII, Einhander etc.
  • Psychotext 15 Jun 2008 12:54:23 54,409 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Frankly, there is a lack of Japanese games for the PS3.
    I wonder how Sony will react if MGS4 doesn't give them a long term bump in Japan. They'll need to do something.
  • Hunam 15 Jun 2008 12:58:02 20,674 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Steambot Chronicles 2

I'd forgot about this for a moment, doesn't look awesome graphically, but the first one on the PS2 is an utter masterpiece. Whens that supposed to be coming out?
  • Cappy 15 Jun 2008 13:01:01 12,032 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Frankly, there is a lack of Japanese games for the PS3.

Indeed, even first party and second party. Since the launch period when titles such as Folklore and Genji were released there has been nothing from their Japanese studios apart from downloadable titles and the recent Gran Turismo Prologue release.

You've got to wonder what exactly they've been up to for the last 18 months or so. Do they have lots of amazing games under wraps? Or alternately are they just leaving the PS3 to limp along and diverting development resources to the PSP which is finally establishing itself?

This is my most wanted PS3 title excepting a Team ICO release soon. I'm getting a bit worried since things have been so quiet, a game inspired by Kafka gets my attention from the start and will be purchased come Hell or high water or even stinky reviews.
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Jun 2008 13:10:13 5,503 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    disc wrote:
    Steambot Chronicles 2
    I'd forgot about this for a moment, doesn't look awesome graphically, but the first one on the PS2 is an utter masterpiece. Whens that supposed to be coming out?
    I'm too lazy to link, but search "steambot" and you'll find the relevant thread (out of 2 ?!) in General Gaming.

It's no looker because they canned a PS2 release and took everything they'd done onto PS3. Who says BC is dead ? :)
  • MadMirko 15 Jun 2008 13:20:17 2,974 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    I would love to know the ins and outs of the deals Microsoft has struck, going on Namco's own figures more than 80% of the sales for the Tales series are accounted for by just Japan. There must have been some pretty good incentive to lose such a big chunk of sales for Tales of Vesperia.

They actually said 87%. You need to take into account all the installments that didn't even make it to the west, though. Also, the most successful game of the series, Tales of Symphonia, sold most copies outside of Japan (most of them on GC, the PS2 did better in Japan). With that in mind it's not strange at all to have a title on the console that is most successful in the West.

In Japan, the 360 has 4 RPGs in the software top ten for the platform. Blue Dragon sold more than any PS3 RPG to date and Lost Odyssey is only beaten by Valkyria. The RPG market in Japan is neither here nor there.

So, I'm not sure Microsoft had to pay for Vesperia, it's possible, but it could just be an attempt at the bigger markets. It could also be like with SO4 where the producer said something along the lines of "when we started developing, the 360 was the only console available", a headstart paying off?
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous