Virgin Media issues Page 15

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• Whizzo 26 Jan 2013 19:11:19 43,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:put the superhub in modem mode and get a router that isn't shit.
    That should be on the box it comes in.

This space left intentionally blank.

• mcmothercruncher 27 Jan 2013 02:37:33 7,514 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They are clearly aware of how poor it is. The user guides on their site regularly mention that it needs nothing else around it and it's best if there is a clear line of sight between you and it. You know, the opposite of how WiFi is supposed to be able to function.
    Frankly, they might as well say "WiFi works best if you stand next to it and plug an ethernet cable in".
  • MysteryLamb 19 Feb 2013 18:03:04 525 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My intenet connection has been dodgy as hell over the last hour, dropping or timing out every couple of minutes. Typically the Virgin site claims everything is hunky dory. Anyone else having probs?
  • superdelphinus 28 Feb 2013 18:51:54 8,125 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone else got the letter about the power supply that might explode?
  • hypernova 28 Feb 2013 19:24:05 1,967 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Anyone else got the letter about the power supply that might explode?
    Yeah, after what, 6-7 years, they sent me a new power supply last week, saying the current one could blow up _
  • hypernova 28 Feb 2013 19:25:32 1,967 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Geesh wrote:
    We solved this by using Wireless-G and having the speed at 54Mbps, which although slowing down the speed by 6Mbps, provides a consistently smooth working experience.

Any suggestions?
    Yeah, put the superhub in modem mode and get a router that isn't shit.
    Recommended routers?
  • THFourteen 31 Mar 2013 14:55:01 34,244 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Geesh wrote:
    I wonder if anyone has any solutions to my pickle.

I'm on 60Mb internet with Virgin, and when using ethernet it is glorious (occasionally reaching speeds +60Mb), but when using WiFi, I don't have quite as good an experience.

When I first got my SuperHub, we had it set to 300MBps and using Wireless-N. This caused problems... The speed mostly seemed fine, but it was not smooth. Skyping would be an experience of very good quality video calls for portions of time, then suddenly awful. And when doing a speed test, I could see in graph format this jaggedy behaviour.

We solved this by using Wireless-G and having the speed at 54Mbps, which although slowing down the speed by 6Mbps, provides a consistently smooth working experience.

Any suggestions?
    Just got Virgin myself and having exactly the same issue.

Solved it by using Ethernet cable to connect the ps3 and sky box, and just ordered some home plugs for the pc in the study.

essentially I get about 45mbps download over Ethernet, and 25mbps over wifi, which is fine for laptop, phones and ipads.

i'm loathe to plug in yet another thing behind the telly.
  • nickthegun 31 Mar 2013 15:26:29 61,055 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ive set the superhub to be a modem and plugged it into something that's actually capable of routing duties, sorry piece of shit that it is.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• nickthegun 31 Mar 2013 15:27:34 61,055 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But, yeah, its annoying that you have to do that as it's not exactly small.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• MrE26 31 Mar 2013 17:51:34 1,971 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got lumbered with this clunky box of shit when they tripled my speed. Tried it for a day then switched it to modem mode & connected it to my trusty old router.
  • Whizzo 31 Mar 2013 17:57:55 43,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Been using one of these for the last couple of months connected to a Not-So-Superhub in modem mode, it's been working really well (both wired and wireless) and rather groovy for the price.

This space left intentionally blank.

• onestepfromlost 6 May 2013 18:08:27 2,108 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    maybe im being paranoid, but got the speed upgrade a couple of weeks back,and since then a few times when ive went to "ahem" aquire films or episodes of something my connection has cut off for a while. Now today i went to catch up on my game of thrones (yeah i know burn in hell pirate) but after 2 mins of downloading my internet cut off for half an hour.
    Now this may be conincidence, but do you think they have installed the monitoring stuff along with the speed upgrade or is that all going to be done at the main HQ type place?
  • b0rk 6 May 2013 18:16:47 2,942 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    maybe im being paranoid, but got the speed upgrade a couple of weeks back,and since then a few times when ive went to "ahem" aquire films or episodes of something my connection has cut off for a while. Now today i went to catch up on my game of thrones (yeah i know burn in hell pirate) but after 2 mins of downloading my internet cut off for half an hour.
    Now this may be conincidence, but do you think they have installed the monitoring stuff along with the speed upgrade or is that all going to be done at the main HQ type place?
    I got no problem acquiring 'things'.
  • CosmicFuzz 6 May 2013 18:25:51 25,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Try downloading normal stuff see what happens.

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• onestepfromlost 6 May 2013 18:41:12 2,108 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    downloading stuff from steam or anything hasnt been followed by DC's. I think to be honest it's just been a strange coincidence. All seems fine now.
  • THFourteen 24 Jun 2013 20:58:57 34,244 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blimmin Virgin Media. Internet stopped working today for no reason whatsoever.

Now I have to take half a day off on Wednesday to wait for the engineer.
  • MrDigital 25 Jun 2013 03:23:12 1,866 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm sure it will magically start working again Wednesday morning.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• THFourteen 25 Jun 2013 07:36:37 34,244 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    MrDigital wrote:
    I'm sure it will magically start working again Wednesday morning.
    That has actually happened a fair few times to me. The engineer comes and it has magically fixed itself, making me look like a right dick who just made it up for attention.

It's annoying cause they do all the checks over the phone, tell me to do the usual bollocks (unplug router etc) like I'm a total moron, check the area for issues and NEVER find a problem. Send the engineer then it fixes itself.

Happens roughly twice a year and it always remains an unexplained phenomena.
    Heh same thing has happened so far. Restart the router, unscrew the cable, restart again, tell me what lights are on etc etc oh it looks like the fault is at YOUR end.

Still wasnt working this morning though
  • Cannon_Fodder 25 Jun 2013 08:09:02 219 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've had on-going problems for months now (since mid November). First level of support is absolutely shocking. Fair play to the engineers, every one that I have dealt with has been nice enough to test every variable and actually listen to my concerns but the telephone support, ugh.

Took around 60+ calls to get them to actually acknowledge I wasn't making my problem up (speeds grinding to a halt peak time) and after around 4 months I was finally told it was high utilization in my area and there isn't anything I can do until August. Still waiting, stuck in a contract where they will only waive the Broadband cancellation fees if I leave and not my whole package.

Even had one guy on the phone do a trace route after putting my PC into safe mode (I had explained they've ran these tests multiple times already in the same week and was ignored) to BBC.co.uk. When the data left the Virgin network he looked up one of the IP's and for some reason it stopped off in Amsterdam before heading back into the UK and hitting the server the site was on. I was then told "You see sir once the data has left the Virgin network there is nothing we can do, but this is why your internet is slow".

Fair to say I hit the roof and when I bollocked him saying he can't expect me to believe all of my network traffic goes through one node in Amsterdam he quickly backed down and then starting using the excuse that I was traffic managed. Somehow according to his records I had downloaded 10GB of data, despite being at work all day and having my wireless turned off. What worries me is how many people they actually get to hang up with these excuses.

Also had one guy enable my wireless and change the wireless channel to see if that would solve my issues.

tl;dr - Great when it works, fucking horrible to deal with when it doesn't.

Edited by Cannon_Fodder at 08:11:26 25-06-2013

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• maddermax 25 Jun 2013 09:39:40 8 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm not technical but my connection kept dropping out. So I get a virgin engineer out and he said that the network speeds had been altered by network people and not virgin......whatever the fuck that means.....but since he has been, I don't drop out of bf3 anymore.

There is some weird shit going on I reckon
  • THFourteen 26 Jun 2013 11:40:07 34,244 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great so i guess the 8-12 slot actually means 12 + however long it takes to fix the problem. Which i'm 99% certain isn't in my house anyway, unless their shitty router is kaput

Stupid Virgin Media.
  • THFourteen 26 Jun 2013 12:36:53 34,244 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still no sign. And i have no food for lunch as i planned to be in work by lunch.

Grrr.
  • THFourteen 26 Jun 2013 13:13:39 34,244 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just got here

"Oh you have no signal"

no shit sherlock!!
  • THFourteen 26 Jun 2013 13:43:28 34,244 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorted. As predicted nothing inside the house.

Apparently there are 10 VM ports down the manhole, and there are more than that many flats using them so there are splitters. Our port broke and had a bad splitter.
  • MrDigital 27 Jun 2013 01:48:59 1,866 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    At least it's fixed, dude. Going without internet makes go full blown cold turkey mode.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Page

of 19 First / Last