Wrestling Games.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • SharksInYourMouth 13 May 2008 21:36:09 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got Here Cames the Pain yesterday for 2.50, it's amazing. Best roster of any wrestling game (Big evil Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, Chris Jericho, Christian, Rhyno, Eric Bischoff and more!), far superior gameplay to SvR, lots of backstage brawl arenas, great move sets and most importantly - an enjoyable, realistic season mode. Each character has their unique feel too. Big evil Undertaker dismantles his opponents with kicks and punches but isn't much on the technical side of things, Rob Van Dam is very fast but doesn't cause much damage with normal attacks andKurt Angle counters every move and brings his opponents down to the mat to slowly work away at them.
    Great fun. Highly recomended, especially considering how dirt cheap it is.
    Thoughts, anyone?
  • reddevil93 13 May 2008 21:39:32 12,071 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bloody love HCTP. Bet wrestling game I've played. (No N64 I'm afraid).

I only hope Smackdown '09 in a return to form. I've enjoyed all the SvR games but they never reached the heights of HCTP.

The new co-op season sounds very intriuging anyway. :-)

• MrTomFTW Moderator 13 May 2008 21:48:08 39,774 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My favourite wrestling games are Smackdown 2, Fire Pro Wrestling D (not played that for a few months, must fire it up next time I get the chance), Giant Gram 2000 (Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiger Driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiver), WCW vs nWo Revenge and No Mercy.

All fantastic games. If you've not played the two on the Dreamcast I suggest you do so ASAP.

As for the Smackdown games... Well I've been extremely disappointed with both 360 versions. They've been crippled just so the last-gen can be the same. They need to put the euphoria engine in it... Could you imagine that? Admittedly that wouldn't cure all of the problems, but there we go.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• reddevil93 13 May 2008 21:51:09 12,071 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Online is always crippled on the Smackdown games. Very dissapointing.

• FixedInfinity 13 May 2008 22:08:49 1,682 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here Comes The Pain really was the best Smackdown game.

Now days it really does just suffer from the yearly update syndrome.
  • El_MUERkO 13 May 2008 22:10:19 17,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Smackdown 2 was awesome, used to play TLC matches with a multitap back in the day :D

The TNA game looks very sweet, especially compared to SvR2009 which doesnt look like much as changed.

We need a wrestling game that uses the euphoria engine, a proper next-gen wrestling game?
  • FixedInfinity 13 May 2008 22:15:01 1,682 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I enjoyed Smackdown 2 apart from the fact it felt very rushed to me, very buggy...
    But then again, it did a hell of a lot of new stuff compared to the first Smackdown.

Animations have always looked rather tosh throughout the Smackdown series.
    Every year they say they replace a number of them, but still...

I don't know if I'll even bother with the next one, I found myself getting so pissed off with last years one.
    The season mode felt like utter shite.
  • NewYork 13 May 2008 22:23:06 24,835 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here Comes The Pain was the pinnacle for me.

Could never work out the controls/intricacies in the games after that.
  • SharksInYourMouth 13 May 2008 22:42:34 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FixedInfinity wrote:
    I found myself getting so pissed off with last years one.
    The season mode felt like utter shite.

+1
    HCTP even had a create an animation mode. You could make your own taunt, winning pose, etc.
    SvR 08 had no improvements, other than the ''extreme rules'' matches, which are just hardcore matches with a roulette wheel. And a worse submission system. It's actually worse than 07 in near every way, which is fucking stupid.
  • FixedInfinity 13 May 2008 22:51:45 1,682 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep.
    It felt like a big step back rather than any sort of improvement.

This years I bet will be the same, they'll put in Tag-Team careers, but due to that the single player career will probably suffer.
  • NewYork 13 May 2008 22:54:52 24,835 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What'd be ideal is a return to HTCP mechanics, with quarterly DLC to keep the roster and storylines current.
  • SharksInYourMouth 14 May 2008 16:58:14 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm having too much fun with HCTP to give a crap about the newer ones. Can't wait to have some multiplayer backstage brawls soon.
  • FixedInfinity 15 Jul 2008 19:24:56 1,682 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Graphically the new Smackdown looks rather impressive.
    Not too sure I care for the whole tag team thing though. In previous games I just found the tag team matches boring.
  • SharksInYourMouth 15 Jul 2008 19:36:04 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, that's why they shall be changing and updating the tag team matches then.
    Inferno match is going to be in SvR 09 and so will Miz and Morrison \o/
  • daithi90 15 Jul 2008 19:40:30 3,283 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TNA Impact is looking pretty good too!
  • SharksInYourMouth 15 Jul 2008 19:46:44 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Let's discuss fun experiences from HCTP!

I was playing season mode with Booker T for a while
    Had a feud with Bubba Ray Dudley over the IC Championship, he got D-Von to attack me in the parking lot.
    And had a steel cage match with Eric Bischoff at Insurexxtion! \o/
  • FixedInfinity 15 Jul 2008 19:48:03 1,682 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SharksInYourMouth wrote:
    Well, that's why they shall be changing and updating the tag team matches then.
    Inferno match is going to be in SvR 09 and so will Miz and Morrison \o/
    Yeah but they'll have to do a SERIOUS update for me to care.
    Like find some better way than have the opponents tag team partner run into the ring as soon as you pin or put the enemy into a submission.
  • SharksInYourMouth 15 Jul 2008 19:50:36 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, the A.I is pretty abysmal, I have to agree.
    08 was terrible.
    More realism with the crowd, announcers, etc. would be nice too.
  • NewYork 15 Jul 2008 19:50:45 24,835 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Something we liked to do in multiplayer was have one person play as Big Show, with full SmackDown bars (or whatever - basically fully powered up) and the rest play as Divas, fully powered down (unable to earn SmackDowns), and try to beat Big Show. That was nuts.

Other fun moments include someone always immediately taking the ladder all the way to the entranceway at the beginning of a ladder match.

Oh, and leaving the room during a hardcore match to spoil someone else's finisher is always a good laugh.
  • SharksInYourMouth 15 Jul 2008 19:53:23 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The money in the bank ladder match in the smackdown vs raw series
    *takes ladder to top of entrance ramp*
    *A.I follows ladder like zombies*
  • Midnight_Raven 16 Jul 2008 10:34:19 729 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I guess they need to change the engine. If they dont do that, then the changes to the series will continue to be rather marginal, Im afraid.

That said, I still enjoy playing SD! vs RAW 08... more than I rightfully should. Except for the season mode, which really is lame. :/
  • SharksInYourMouth 17 Jul 2008 20:00:22 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thing about recent and nearly all WWE games is that I can't take them seriously for too long. I never even bother with the season mode, I just bring it out every few months for a quick multiplayer Hell in a Cell!
  • reddevil93 17 Jul 2008 20:03:25 12,071 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Biggest dissapointment for me about the last one was the removal of '3 stages of Hell' matches. They were epic with a mate.

• SharksInYourMouth 17 Jul 2008 20:05:55 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The matches in HCTP lasted a lot longer that's for sure.
    Ah well, SvR 09 won't be as much of a disapointment as 08 I don't think. The addition of extreme rules matches as the biggest announcement didn't exactly get me excited. ( the highlight of that game was con-chair-tos and Elijah Burke.)
  • reddevil93 17 Jul 2008 20:08:47 12,071 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SharksInYourMouth wrote:
    The matches in HCTP lasted a lot longer that's for sure.
    Ah well, SvR 09 won't be as much of a disapointment as 08 I don't think. The addition of extreme rules matches as the biggest announcement didn't exactly get me excited. ( the highlight of that game was con-chair-tos and Elijah Burke.)
    +1

Myself and Daithi90 are going to complete the co-op season as Burke(me) and Punk(daithi). Should be fun.

• SharksInYourMouth 17 Jul 2008 20:10:40 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can co-op season mode in SvR 08? Didn't know that. I've simulated season mode several times to gain attribute points for my CAWs and all the storylines look rubbish and generic but ah well :)
  • reddevil93 17 Jul 2008 20:12:55 12,071 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also one of the best thing to do in the Smackdown games was Royal Rumbles. Even if you only had 2 pads and 4 people it was great craic 'cause you handed your controller on after you were eliminated. :-)

Much backstabbing though. ;-)

• reddevil93 17 Jul 2008 20:13:43 12,071 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SharksInYourMouth wrote:
    You can co-op season mode in SvR 08? Didn't know that. I've simulated season mode several times to gain attribute points for my CAWs and all the storylines look rubbish and generic but ah well :)
    Sorry, not in '08. In th eupcoming one.

• SharksInYourMouth 17 Jul 2008 20:16:12 1,960 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That should make for a fun feature, though I doubt Burke will be in 09! Looks like you'll have to get creative and make a good CAW!

Hey, you could always play as The Miz. He's been confirmed! :)
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous