Happy St George's Day Page 2

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• nickthegun 23 Apr 2008 09:51:03 55,855 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    And a fucking big Lance!

Its all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7060957.stm

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kincaide 23 Apr 2008 09:54:49 5,063 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is more like it
  • pjmaybe 23 Apr 2008 09:57:43 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The shame of it is, if you saw a parade of people walking down a high street with the cross of st george on a flag, it'd probably mean some fucking crappy footie / rugby event rather than anything to do with ole Georgy boy himself.
  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2008 09:59:21 55,855 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Georgie boy being the famous Turkish Greek.....

Maybe we should all go out for a Kebab?

He totally called it

• pjmaybe 23 Apr 2008 10:00:37 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Innit! Then take the wife upa de arse
  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2008 10:02:10 55,855 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cossa they playa de Chelsea, innits?

He totally called it

• nickthegun 23 Apr 2008 10:02:24 55,855 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /not racist

He totally called it

• pjmaybe 23 Apr 2008 10:02:29 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Innits!
  • kincaide 23 Apr 2008 10:26:21 5,063 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    St. George is the patron saint of Aragon, Canada, Catalonia, China, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Montenegro, Palestine, Portugal, Russia, and Serbia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, and Moscow, as well as a wide range of professions, organisations and disease sufferers.
  • Deleted user 23 April 2008 10:31:02
    Well I'll be getting stupidly drunk today. A bunch of us here always book St Georges Day off and get dressed up. We go round the local pubs and collect for charity (a glorified pub crawl!). It's a local charity that means something to us all, St Annes Hospice in Manchester. http://www.sah.org.uk/
    Last year involved us all dressed as St George knights, complete with comedy wooden horses, and even a comedy coconut 'clapper' a la Monty Python style. We also have a large toy dragon which we throw into each pub, before pausing and charging inside to attack. We raised over 300 last year and this year should be better as there's more of us, and we've raised the bar slightly. We now have a King, a maiden, and a lancelot to go along with the knights. Also, one of the knights (me! Gulp!) is going around with an electric guitar and tiny clip on belt amp. In evert pub we are singing this, to the tune of Should I Stay or Should I Go by The Clash.

Come on, we're here to let you know
    Pay us money and we'll go
    If you say that we are shite
    We'll play it on and on all night
    So come on give us your dough
    Pay us money and we'll go

*repeat lots of drunken times til bucket fills

We've got three local papers coming down taking our photos, although we only made one of them last year. Anyway, this just started four years ago, as our little way of raising awareness of the day, after a drunken moan in the pub about how all us english celebrate Pats day. We thought if people saw a bunch of loons out dressed as knights then it may make them think to do something next year, and it seems to be working. It was only on the second year that we came up with the obvious idea that we should get some charity buckets along with us.

I'm off to get changed now, as we're meeting up at 12. I promise you I'll post some rather embarassing photos tomorrow.

Happy St George's Day, and be proud to be english!
  • mcmonkeyplc 23 Apr 2008 10:31:31 38,899 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    China?! What the fucks?

It's our flag though, some how its been bastardised into something racist, time to take it back. I believe football actually has a part to play in that.

It does unite the nation, when we are winning atleast and seeing as football is trying to stamp out racism, the flag being associated with it should help....maybe. Errr maybe not.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• JuanKerr 23 Apr 2008 10:35:45 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the perception of the flag is changing and besides, wasn't it always the Union Jack that was associated with the National Front?

In my village, quite a few houses have a St George's Cross flying all year round, which is quite nice.

I like it when churches fly the flag - looks good seeing a big flag fluttering in the wind on top of a beautiful country church, especially in the summer.
  • JetSetWilly 23 Apr 2008 10:37:39 5,720 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whenever I fight a dragon I always try and look at things from the dragon's point of view.
  • Retroid Moderator 23 Apr 2008 10:38:01 44,501 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    It does unite the nation, when we are winning atleast
    Not me it doesn't.

Footblol
  • mcmonkeyplc 23 Apr 2008 10:40:11 38,899 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    It does unite the nation, when we are winning atleast
    Not me it doesn't.

Footblol

Bullshit sunshine! I bet you get involved during a major tournament. Especially when it's here.

/remembers Euro' 96

/crys

/goes to boro to kill southgate.

• Retroid Moderator 23 Apr 2008 10:52:13 44,501 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Bullshit sunshine! I bet you get involved during a major tournament.
    If by "get involved" you mean "hate the blanket coverage and wish they'd just fucking lose so it'd fuck off the fucking news" then yes :)
  • kincaide 23 Apr 2008 10:59:03 5,063 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nipples wrote:

*LOTS OF STUFF*

Happy St George's Day, and be proud to be english!

LOL - that sounds awesome. I'm very jealous. Have a good one
  • kincaide 23 Apr 2008 11:00:13 5,063 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I like it when churches fly the flag - looks good seeing a big flag fluttering in the wind on top of a beautiful country church, especially in the summer.

+1
  • thefilthandthefury 23 Apr 2008 11:02:39 24,901 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Bullshit sunshine! I bet you get involved during a major tournament.
    If by "get involved" you mean "hate the blanket coverage and wish they'd just fucking lose so it'd fuck off the fucking news" then yes :)

+1
  • JuanKerr 23 Apr 2008 11:05:09 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Retroid wrote:

There's always one miserable cunt isn't there?!

You don't hear football fans moaning about soap operas, reality TV and shite American trash which is on for hours EVERY SINGLE day of the year do you?

Just shut the fuck up and let us enjoy the football - a major tournament is only on for a couple of weeks every 2 years. Also, football is the world's most popular sport, so your moaning is a piss in the ocean.

/ breathes deeply
  • thefilthandthefury 23 Apr 2008 11:07:03 24,901 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Retroid wrote:

You don't hear football fans moaning about soap operas, reality TV and shite American trash which is on for hours EVERY SINGLE day of the year do you?

Just shut the fuck up and let us enjoy the football - a major tournament is only on for a couple of weeks every 2 years. Also, football is the world's most popular sport, so your moaning is a piss in the ocean.

/ breathes deeply

To be honest the worst bit about it isn't so much that it's on, but the way the English media cover it.
  • JuanKerr 23 Apr 2008 11:09:08 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:

To be honest the worst bit about it isn't so much that it's on, but the way the English media cover it.

Yeah, that is quite annoying, but it's only reflecting the popularity of the sport in this country.
  • thefilthandthefury 23 Apr 2008 11:10:31 24,901 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:

Yeah, that is quite annoying, but it's only reflecting the popularity of the sport in this country.

Well, it's not even that... to me it's the absolutely stupid mass hysteria over it all, implying that we somehow deserve to win, by right, because we're England and therefore must be better than everyone else.

Then we get beat, every single time and there's mass panic! Mayhem! The team are shit and don't deserve to play for England! etc etc.
  • JuanKerr 23 Apr 2008 11:16:25 36,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago

Well, it's not even that... to me it's the absolutely stupid mass hysteria over it all, implying that we somehow deserve to win, by right, because we're England and therefore must be better than everyone else.

Then we get beat, every single time and there's mass panic! Mayhem! The team are shit and don't deserve to play for England! etc etc.

Oh, I totally agree. The hype is ludicrous and the papers are a joke - they seem to like building the team up just so they can rip them to pieces when they get knocked out.
  • TechnoHippy 23 Apr 2008 11:19:48 14,637 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:

Try having riot police outside your flat every time there's a major football match on because drunken idiots can't control themselves. I agree it's not football to blame per se, but the crap residents have to put up with is certainly associated with it.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Retroid Moderator 23 Apr 2008 11:23:12 44,501 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had no idea soaps etc. got absolute blanket coverage in virtually all forms of media and disrupted telly schedules for weeks at a time [B]because everyone is interested in it, it's the most imortant thing happening in the world and if you're not interested then you're obviously a miserable cunt who just hates everyone else's fun.

I have no issue or interest with it happening. I just hate how it's shoved down our throats.

For the record: I think sports / football channels are a great thing, because I can avoid them completely and people who want to watch, can.

:)
  • jonsaan 23 Apr 2008 11:30:32 25,251 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shouldn't this be a stand alone 'I hate football thread'.

Happy SGD!

For the record I also hate fitba:)

And Retroid, whilst I agree that sports channels are a good thing, it still doesn't stop Boxing day at my sister's house descending into people staring open mouthed at some feckin Chelsea game. Every bloody year it's the same.

FCUTA!

• mcmonkeyplc 23 Apr 2008 11:32:28 38,899 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    I had no idea soaps etc. got absolute blanket coverage in virtually all forms of media and disrupted telly schedules for weeks at a time [B]because everyone is interested in it, it's the most imortant thing happening in the world and if you're not interested then you're obviously a miserable cunt who just hates everyone else's fun.

I have no issue or interest with it happening. I just hate how it's shoved down our throats.

For the record: I think sports / football channels are a great thing, because I can avoid them completely and people who want to watch, can.

:)

Tough shit, as a great man once said: It's about football :p

• Deleted user 23 April 2008 11:34:20
    jonsaan wrote:
    people staring open mouthed at some feckin Chelsea game.
    Just be glad they weren't hanging from the ceiling.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last