Rate the last gig you went to see out of 10! Page 2

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• Piefish 18 Apr 2008 14:46:13 10 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I saw the Australian Pink Floyd Show at the Royal Albert Hall Tuesday night. They were truly brilliant - the lighting and musicianship was awesome, although not quite the real thing, of course. If, like me, you're a fan of the Floyd they are well worth checking out.

9/10
  • ShogunAssassin 20 Apr 2008 10:09:27 471 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Method Man and Redman. These guys know how to perform! And unlike a lot of rappers, they actually manage to come through on the mic. One of the biggest highlights was Meth standing on the hands of the crowd, doing a balancing act before falling over to get carried back to the stage by the crowd.

They performed a lot of classic, including some old Wu-Tang and a tribute to the late ODB.

In short, this was one of the best shows Ive ever been to.

9/10 (one point detracted for the 1 hour long wait between the warmup and the actual show)
  • RichGL 20 Apr 2008 10:11:53 793 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Supergrass at Carling Academy in Birmingham.

Hmmm, well the band performed a 9 easily. But the crowd were so shit during the non-classic tracks that the evening was a 7.
  • EddieBear 20 Apr 2008 10:12:07 560 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pit at the Cockpit in Leeds.

Top quality entertainment. only downside was that the bass of Pip's vocals was a bit too heavy. made it hard to hear what he was saying

8/10
  • mcmonkeyplc 20 Apr 2008 10:33:35 39,447 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Piefish wrote:
    I saw the Australian Pink Floyd Show at the Royal Albert Hall Tuesday night. They were truly brilliant - the lighting and musicianship was awesome, although not quite the real thing, of course. If, like me, you're a fan of the Floyd they are well worth checking out.

9/10

Who's got the juciest B hole in town?!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• daithi90 20 Apr 2008 15:30:57 3,283 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We Are Scientists in The Ambassador, Dublin.

Slightly biased considering they're my favourite band. Third time seeing them, and probably the best of the three. 12/10
  • Retroid Moderator 20 Apr 2008 15:34:30 44,512 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Rate the last gig you went to see out of 10!
    Well, the last gig I saw was stuffed with 1024megs of smut.

So: 10/10, definately!
  • Fatfish 21 Apr 2008 01:02:08 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Saw Newton (Battenburg) Faulkner in Exeter about 6 weeks ago. Considering it's pretty much just him on a stage with a guitar, it was a great gig. He's very good at engaging the audience in banter and comes across as a warm, friendly and unpretentious character. Music was top notch and watching him play some of those finger picking/hand tapping pieces is mesmerising. Definately one of the best guitarists around at the moment and an excellent song writer too. Gig was a sell out - says it all really.

10/10
  • Deleted user 26 April 2008 22:30:26
    I got dragged to this by a friend...

Mindless Self Indulgence - 2/10

1 point for the lead singer occassionally saying something amusing.

Another point out of generosity.
  • ElectricDemon 27 Apr 2008 00:27:00 2,417 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My last one was a wee while ago, but it was Tegan & Sara at the QMU in Glasgow. probably a 7 or 8 out of 10

They were really good. I didn't know a huge number of their songs, but I liked what I heard, and a mate got me a ticket as an Xmas gift as a result. The songs that I did know were very good indeed (hampered only by my pissed mate yelling along in my ear) though. The banter with the crowd was pretty good too, they seemed nice. They're playing again in June, so I might go and see them.

I've not been to a proper metal gig in ages, though on Monday I'm going into town to get tickets for Children Of Bodom in June, and DragonForce in October =D

I also heard from a friend today that she's booked Dylan Moran tickets, who I didn't even know was coming, so that's also very good =)
  • daithi90 27 Apr 2008 03:50:36 3,283 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    I got dragged to this by a friend...

Mindless Self Indulgence - 2/10

1 point for the lead singer occassionally saying something amusing.

Another point out of generosity.

They're an acquired taste alright, but not exactly in an intellectual way. They can get quite annoying, but they're supposed to be pretty good live.
  • RabidChild 2 May 2008 10:28:15 2,292 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bjork at the Empress Ballroom, Blackpool.

Amazing! She did a mixture of songs from all of her albums, climaxing with Declare Independence - complete with lasers and glitter cannons.

Shame about the support - some crazy-assed DJ lady who, instead of trying to mix songs, just played loud grating industrial noise to mask the gaps between tracks.
  • hypernova 18 May 2008 18:29:53 1,967 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dinosaur Jr @ Koko - 90%

Really good gig, venue, and even a great support band (reminded th girls I was with of Bill & Ted).

Saw a band called Clinic at some club 229 Great Portland Street recently. Clinic were pretty bad, the venue was very clean and cold, but eth support band, Threatmantics iirc, were great.
  • Deleted user 18 May 2008 18:41:55
    Seeing Animal Collective on Tuesday.

I can safely predict a 10. ;)
  • PazJohnMitch 19 May 2008 10:56:13 8,028 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Charlatans in Kentish Town

They are not a band I would normally listen to. I bought an album in my youth but never really got into it. I generally prefer heavier and more progessive music but I did enjoy this gig. Just do not tell the person that dragged me there...

6/10
  • dr_swin 19 May 2008 11:26:49 4,887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    arcade fire at metro radio arena in newcastle.

awesome. 10/10
  • smoothpete 19 May 2008 11:29:40 31,501 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm going to see Raekwon of the Wu Tang perform his 1995 album Only Built for Cuban Linx tonight at Koko. I'm hoping for a 10/10
  • markh 19 May 2008 11:31:35 3,598 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I'm going to see Raekwon of the Wu Tang perform his 1995 album Only Built for Cuban Linx tonight at Koko. I'm hoping for a 10/10

My brother saw him with Ghostface Killah at ATP at the weekend. He said that they were both absolutely awesome :)
  • neilqpr 19 May 2008 18:35:53 2,845 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:

Pah, Animal Collective and Dublin seemed to be cursed. Last gig was cut short due to Avey being sick, now tonight's gig has been cancelled as they missed the bloody ferry.

Grrrr, enjoy tomorrow night anyway!
  • Sorbicol 19 May 2008 18:39:00 591 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jose Gonzales at the Shepard's Bush Empire about a month ago, 7/10

He was excellent, the gig was totally spoilt by 6ft 7in wankers standing right at the front of the stage, and when there was gap between their heads some prick would hold up their mobile and video for 5 minutes at a time.

It's about time people who do that are thrown out of gigs after having their hands amputated. With a smashed beer bottle.
  • Deleted user 20 May 2008 23:03:48
    neilqpr wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:

Pah, Animal Collective and Dublin seemed to be cursed. Last gig was cut short due to Avey being sick, now tonight's gig has been cancelled as they missed the bloody ferry.

Grrrr, enjoy tomorrow night anyway!

They missed the ferry? LMAO!

Anyway, been back about half an hour. Had a great time, awesome setlist (I'll try and remember as much of it as I can, neil).

Slightly marred by some cow cheekily asking my friend to move to the seats at the side because his iPod screen on the lowest brightness and that he was covering with his hand (he was playing a game on it as he hates AC :)) was "putting her off".

How a small, dim iPod screen could put her off when there was 5 banks of lights on the ceiling and 4 very bright bar lights on the stage I'd love to know.

Some people, pfft. Obviously he didn't move, and when she turned to me and said "ISN'T IT BOTHERING YOU?" (for the record, it wasn't at all), I just turned round without saying anything. :p

Gah, who did she think she was TELLING someone to move? Christ.

Er, anyway. Great gig. Only mar as far as songs go was Grace, which I find pretty boring.
  • deem 20 May 2008 23:09:43 31,641 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't fucking remember.

:(
  • Deleted user 20 May 2008 23:11:45
    Oh, the setlist!

I'll try and remember as much of the order as I can, but past the 3 songs I'm struggling. :)

Chocolate Girl
    Comfy In Nautica
    Who Could Win A Rabbit
    Peacebone
    Unknown (you might've heard it on recent boots. Didgeridoo, marching band drums)
    Bearhug
    Fireworks/Essplode
    House
    Grace
    Brother Sport

Encore:
    Loch Raven
    Grass

Probably forgotten a couple of things in there.
  • neilqpr 21 May 2008 15:09:39 2,845 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cool, glad you enjoyed it!

It turns out they made a later ferry to Dublin, and hastily arranged a late gig at a smaller venue. I found out about it fairly late in the day and couldn't bring myself to go (Monday was my first day back at work after over a week off). Nothing but good reports though. Hopefully they'll be back when they tour the new album!
  • Kafeen 21 May 2008 15:59:09 552 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I saw Jools Holland and his Rythm and Blues orchestra at Middlesbrough town hall last week.

The warm up act (Imeda May) was awesome, as was most of the main act. I'd give it a 9/10 because I wasn't too keep on the reggae guy.
  • aine 21 May 2008 16:32:54 718 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the strange death of liberal england (@ lamp, hull, last night)
    i very nearly didn't go to this one, but i'm fucking glad i did, they were brilliant. and the supports (wave machines & the holy orders) were pretty bloody good as well. so! 9/10 (minus half a point for a couple of the band members trying too hard to look post-everything, and half for the drunken pink haired girl who was getting on everyone's tits)
  • Deleted user 21 May 2008 16:39:51
    neilqpr wrote:
    Cool, glad you enjoyed it!

It turns out they made a later ferry to Dublin, and hastily arranged a late gig at a smaller venue. I found out about it fairly late in the day and couldn't bring myself to go (Monday was my first day back at work after over a week off). Nothing but good reports though. Hopefully they'll be back when they tour the new album!

Oh, and they played Leaf House too.

But yeah, it was great. I read about the rescheduled gig. Atlas Sound didn't play (forgot to mention him, he was good as well. Played mainly material I hadn't heard, perhaps off the bonus disc that comes with the European version of the album? Felt a bit sorry for him though, the place was empty when he was on) and it was quite a short set apparently. So I don't think you really missed much, TBH. Still, good on them for still putting on a show despite their bus breaking down 3 times and getting the late ferry.
  • THFourteen 21 May 2008 17:14:11 33,265 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wombats

6/10

No Encore.
  • pc1401 21 May 2008 17:32:20 159 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Going to see Bruce Springsteen on the 30th may it will be at least a 12
  • Danbojones 21 May 2008 20:36:58 419 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago