Registered 8 years ago
    Also fired based, or buffed, weapons help a lot with or stein and smough

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• Armoured_Bear 7 Oct 2013 09:13:55 10,243 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    jellyBelly wrote:
    Also fired based, or buffed, weapons help a lot with or stein and smough
    I might use some Resin to stick fire on my weapon and keep fireballing the feckers.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• PazJohnMitch 7 Oct 2013 09:53:17 7,779 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    @rumblesushi: If - unlike me - you don't care about trophies, and having a game on your trophy list with little to no trophies, then give it a whirl.

If you DO care about that shit though, try it out on a dummy account and see for yourself the piece of shit that is that game.

Either way, I feel confident that you too will think that it is absolute shite!
    I am not a trophy whore but got the Platinum on Jak 1 because it was a very enjoyable game.

Got about 50% into Jak 2 (40% of trophies) but found the implementation of the hover board painfully bad. So much so it completely sapped all desire to persevere with the game. (Documentation of what you have found and where is also much worse in Jak 2 than Jak 1).

Did not try Jak 3.
  • Doomspoon 7 Oct 2013 13:06:55 2,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    You will feel like a man when you beat it.

So you're keeping this willy gag running then?

;)
  • Bloobat 7 Oct 2013 13:36:13 195 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch Jak 3 is the best of the series, Would definitely give it a go if you can, in fact it was one of my favorite games on the PS2
  • Mola_Ram 7 Oct 2013 13:37:44 6,945 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Doomspoon wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    You will feel like a man when you beat it.

So you're keeping this willy gag running then?

;)
    All you have to do is stick the fat guy right in his fat arse.
  • Deleted user 12 October 2013 16:32:13
    Very close to abandoning gta5 because I'm just so fucking bored with it. I just can't muster thee enthusiasm to drive from a to b and the characters aren't likable. I don't want to as I appreciate the amount of work that has gone into it. But it is doing nothing to excite me.
  • Raiko101 12 Oct 2013 17:26:25 6,054 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I didn't even bother with it. I've played through 8 of them already. It's nothing I haven't seen already.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• BloodMountain88 12 Oct 2013 17:31:57 139 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ratchet Gladiator HD.

I enjoyed this on the PS2... although I played through the vast majority of the game with a friend in split screen co-op. As a single player game, it's no where near as enjoyable IMO.
  • Syrette 12 Oct 2013 17:36:48 43,060 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Raiko101

Didn't you play through Lego City which is afaik just GTA with Lego and no violence?

• Raiko101 13 Oct 2013 06:02:48 6,054 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Syrette I did! The missions, apart from being targeted at kids, were quite different to GTA's. They had their own environments and often involved a bit of exploration. Nothing taxing, but it was held together by some pretty great dialogue and cutscenes, which are a cut above any GTA i've ever played.

I did, however, recently abandon it because the side missions were massively boring. They're basically a bunch of collectables scattered about town. Some you can interact with, others you cant. Either way, it got old after the first 100. I wasn't sticking around for 600 - 700 of them.

Maybe Lego City killed of my interest in GTA.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• JiveHound 13 Oct 2013 06:38:46 2,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It seems to me that a lot of Rockstar games appeal lie in its world.

I don't mind driving from a to b because I enjoy the world. However I can appreciate the criticism over the fact that that constitutes a lot of the game.

I'm enjoying GTA Online more because the characters and story really didn't do much for me in the end.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Syrette 13 Oct 2013 11:38:51 43,060 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Raiko101

Ah fair enough.

• Triggerhappytel 19 Oct 2013 20:29:17 2,667 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've deleted GTAIV: Episodes (PS3) from my hard drive. Played The Lost and Damned a couple of years back when I first bought it, and although I quite liked the premise I fucking hated the controls so I very quickly gave up on it. Recently started playing Gay Tony as I was in the mood for GTA amidst the V hype, and I'm packing it in after about five hours. I don't like any of the characters, I'm completely bored of drive from A to B and then shoot people structure, the contrast is far too dark to see what's going on at times, the on-foot controls are bad and the shooting fucking terrible, the helicopter controls are just insultingly shit and I find Liberty City to be quite a dull and depressing environment. I'd heard it injected the fun back into the series akin to the PS2 instalments, but I've only seen a couple of instances of that in my time with the game, and both of those involved skydiving missions. I can't be arsed to spend time with a game I'm not enjoying just because it's acclaimed, so I'm binning it.
  • BloodMountain88 19 Oct 2013 20:46:16 139 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Triggerhappytel I did the same thing a few months ago - tried playing TBoGT and found the controls to be terrible. Apparently the on foot controls aren't meant to be much better in GTAV either...
  • Triggerhappytel 19 Oct 2013 20:52:44 2,667 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For context, I recently played Saints Row 3 and thought that was massively overrated too. It was a very annoying and uneven experience, although the on-foot controls were better and I at least saw it through to the end. The driving was turd though, while I'm one of the few who loves the driving in GTAIV.

I didn't finish Red Dead Redemption either, because I found it boring and there was far too much walking and listening to others talk. Maybe I just don't get on with Rockstar games this gen. I haven't played V, but the last game of theirs I actually enjoyed was probably Bully on PS2.
  • Kay 19 Oct 2013 22:43:50 17,758 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    huh_what wrote:
    R* make a great world and then fuck it all up by being utterly fucking terrible at making even vaguely interesting missions.

I nearly gave up on GTA 5 about 10 story missions from the end because it was all the same long, drawn out shite. I have a couple of friends who binned it for that exact reason.
    Have to agree with this - I'm about 20 missions from the end and kinda bored with it now, although I will see it through. GTA V does have a lot of variety in its missions, but I've realised that very few of the missions are actually any fun. And as great as driving around and exploring the city is, there's only so much of that you can take before it gets dull, especially as there's no tangible reward for exploring and hunting out every last corner of the map.

More than anything else though, Rockstar's games always go on far too long. Especially when the main narrative or characters aren't interesting at all. They really need to rein it in and realise that less is more - maybe have around 30 story missions max, with less driving around and nothing repeated more than twice, and only include mini-games and distractions that are actually enjoyable. I mean, V apparently has a long triathlon where you mostly hammer a couple of buttons for half an hour- does anyone actually enjoy doing that sort of thing?

Edited by Kay at 22:45:03 19-10-2013
  • Deleted user 19 October 2013 22:56:36
    The on foot controls are fine, there is nothing wrong with them.

Unfortunately though I do echo Kay's sentiments above. At first I was fucking blown away by GTA 5, the graphics, scope, detail, characters, everything. Even the mission variety and fun factor was more San Andreas than GTA 4 at first.

However, it really hit a lull around the time Michael's family leave.

The early Michael missions involving his family etc are all brilliant, as is meeting Trevor and his first few missions. Stuff like rescuing his son dangling from the moving crane and "Daddy's little girl" are hilarious, and quite filmic and well done. Same for Trevor's first few missions, including the infamous torture mission.

But I'm now over 50% of the way through the story, and the missions since have really been quite dull, and a bit of a slog. They just seem like padding. Really hoping it picks up again soon.

I would much rather have a condensed story too, with all excellent missions. Quality over quantity.
  • Deleted user 19 October 2013 23:06:44
    How much further have you got? Have you completed it?
  • Kay 19 Oct 2013 23:08:47 17,758 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Agreed with the above, the game hits its peak around the time you unlock Trevor, and his first few missions. After that, all of the FIB stuff? Not very interesting at all. Even the heists become dull.

I find a game is much more memorable if it finishes strongly rather then limping on towards the end. The Last of Us was great for this, I didn't think much of the first half of the game, but the second half is amazing and is what elevated it to GotY material.
  • Deleted user 19 October 2013 23:32:53
    That's true too Kay, the first heist is good fun, and just what you'd expect from a heist. Good, classic fun, with an exciting getaway.

The next two are dull as dishwater.

So I take if you've finished GTA 5 and it really doesn't pick up again?

Sounds like I really have to play the Last of Us btw. I too like games that finish strong, or sustain the pace right all the way through.

Edited by rumblesushi at 23:33:13 19-10-2013
  • Pinky_Floyd 19 Oct 2013 23:42:12 7,347 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have never finished a GTA game, yet own or have played them all. I appreciate them technically, but up until V I hated with a passion the shooting mechanics, the often frustrating missions and the restart mechanics.

V fixed pretty much all of that yet I still couldnt bring myself to finish it as everything was so OTT from the language and violence to the daftness of some of the characters. For such an adult game it seems squarely aimed at 12 year olds.

So yeah, probably just me and Rockstar games not getting on, though I did quite enjoy Max Payne 3 and managed to finish it.
  • Triggerhappytel 19 Oct 2013 23:43:25 2,667 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get The Last of Us, it's an amazing game with IMO terrific pacing throughout (with one or two exceptions), and has probably the best characters, voicework and dialogue of any game I've ever played. It's also 23 with Shopto at the moment.
  • CharlieStCloud 19 Oct 2013 23:46:22 5,016 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The more I think about The Last of Us, the more I come to realise that it really is probably the game of this generation.

... well, it is between that and Super Mario Galaxy 2!
  • Deleted user 20 October 2013 00:22:50
    @Triggerhappytel Thanks for the link, didn't realise you could get it so cheap anywhere. I checked Amazon recently and it was closer to 40 quid.

I'll buy it and it'll pop up on Plus next week :D
  • FuzzyDuck 20 Oct 2013 01:35:56 3,890 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud

We didn't agree on Journey, but it seems we are in agreeance on something much bigger! SMG2 is my game of the generation, with TLoU closing in on it pretty fast.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Oct 2013 03:20:46 7,779 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SMG2 is clearly game of the generation for me.

Although I thought the Last of Us was brilliant I do not think it will age as gracefully as the fat plumber. As people have stated before some of the gameplay sections in tLoU are not that great. It is a huge achievement in story telling but does it with merely good gameplay. SMG2 however in my opinion has the best gameplay of any game ever.

I think (and most of all hope) that in the future story telling techniques will improve and so tLoU will start to look a bit ordinary. Pretty much in the same way that many 16bit games scored very well because of their amazing graphics. Playing these now and the graphics have aged horribly and the gameplay faults are very apparent.

SMG2 however will remain an exceptionally fun game to play.
  • Page

of 141 First / Last